Why do Americans like college sports so much? I don't understand the appeal

Why do Americans like college sports so much? I don't understand the appeal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Us3_8FxoAls
youtube.com/watch?v=PB-DRWu1LpA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Big in areas that don't have a pro team near them, or the sport is big down to the high school level such as Texas

Also college Football and Basketball were big before their pro counterparts

Maybe it's the last bastion for sports fans who want to feel a real connection to their team, young hungry players to prove themselves and last but not least it's not that much of a capitalistic shitshow (will change soon i guess).

>College sports aren't capitalist

Hahahaha

They're all paedophiles and/or mass shooters.

They were the first major competitions in gridiron and basketball. Now it regional, fun, less corporate

>Less corporate
Just ignore those 30 sponsored bowl games

They play for free. If thats not the antithesis of capitalism then i dont know what is

I do. 28 of them at least

Do you understand what "less" means?

Students are exploited by their schools, and get meme degrees in return.

And the people controlling the teams don't own them, which is quite literally how capitalism is defined

>colleges not letting people who make them money get paid at all
sounds like capitalism to me

They get a chance to play for professional teams and make millions of dollars in returns. A lot of D-1 kids dont finish their degrees

its where the sports started so they were bigger before the pro league were around

Its not. Just because you put literally in a sentence doesnt make it literally true

The super bowl isn't the beef o brady's super bowl

NCAA games still have commercials and sponsors. No difference. Just that that players don't get paid
Being exploited for a profit is total capitalism

It's when the means of production (in this case the team or institution) is privately held property.

Please apologize

only college sports people care about are football and basketball
nobody cares about college baseball, hockey, or any other random sport they play

They don't get paid for the revenue they generate. So bullshit

Thank you for checking google to confirm that you were wrong. The students arnt privately held property. Thanks lincoln

That's an unfortunate consequence rather than a defining characteristic, my uninformed friend. You are cherry picking, much more of the NFL is sponsored. The organizations themselves are a profit-seeking single entity of franchises

Theyre students not professionals

I didn't need Google for that, I actually learned it by reading as a younger man. You're not even making sense anymore Castro

But most D-1 teams are from state schools you fucking idiot

Sounds more like (((Communism))) desu

Hence, not privately held. You've made my point

>citizens dont own the schools or the students
>somehow this is still capitalism
I mean i sorta get what youre saying. Corporations do make huge profits off these games. But youre still wrong

And? They generate millions of dollars because of their labor

If you work at a college book store you'll get paid, but not if you play a sport?

Theres no professional librarian league

Most schools don't get state funding. It's mostly tuition now.

I was claiming the opposite you retard

1/3 or all Americans have been molested as a child. There you have the answer.

>for free
surely they wouldn't work for free
who would do such a thing??

There are for profit book stores on college campuses

Why should you care if a college kid is paid?

Then youre not who im arguing with

Because we love slave labor

Completely irrelevant

Millions of interns across the country

It is. It shows they are hardly state run or funded and are a for profit institution

>They play for free in 50,000 seats stadiums

I'm a student at a D1 Hockey school, you're missing out desu. It's incredibly entertaining.

They do. Im not sure why you greentexted this

Southerners love college sports, northerners love pro sports

Its more of a culture thing.

College ice hockey is big in New england and the upper midwest though.

The only college sport I watch is football, and only when its a game involving an undefeated team that is likely to lose or if there is a lot of rain.

Mudslimes, basically.

>Southerners love college sports, northerners love pro sports

Southerners like college football more than northerners, but northerners like college basketball more than southerners. College football is just bigger than college basketball right now because of the NFL and the NFL Draft implications

Americans support college football cause they want to feel they are friends with Chad and not a fucking failure

Go Chad go, make a touch down! Yay! Now all the negros of the team are popular!
My black bulls are better than yours!
Now time for our white girls in college to get blacked by the team
Everyone now has 80000 college debt but Chad made a touchdown, USA USA

Do they care about high school sports as much too? In US TV shows it always seems like the whole school turns out to watch the sports teams play. I was the captain of my school cricket team, and also in the football team, the rugby team, the basketball team, and the athletics team. Would have been interesting if everyone came to watch and treated me like a local celebrity, instead of just a few dads coming to watch and no one really caring one way or the other. I might have grown up to be a bit more of a normie if I'd had that celebrity status at school.

The only sports people go to for the sport is football, everything else is just family and a couple friends.

for some reason americans take high school very seriously
or maybe it just the movies and shows

eh maybe you can argue that the AD/president/etc stuff their pockets in part due to the surplus generated, but they are all by definition non-profit and they aren't owned by people with claims to financial surplus. those people being paid to manage it can be ousted by a board or government with no controlling interest.

nah you'd probably have still grown up to be a faggot

fills the same niche as lower league clubs for most other countries. its a local thing, tribalism, supporting the boys etc

It would be nice to have the same sort of popularity for football in UK schools desu, if only because it would have made me more popular in school. Actually I was already very popular in school with all the lads, just too much of an autist to talk to any of the girls.

We take it seriously now because the movies and TV shows took it seriously. It's retarded. People talk about it like it's supposed to be the most moving and incredible time in your life.

are proms as important as they seem in american media? like if you don't go you are a super loser or something?

>Attend one of the smaller state universities because it was closer to home and cheaper
>no football team and crappy DII basketball team
>Support bigger main campus sports teams

youtu.be/Us3_8FxoAls

i'm a big fan of this one youtube.com/watch?v=PB-DRWu1LpA

Yes and no. Yes they are seen as the end all be all social event that isn't rivaled by anything at that stage in your life. There is huge money that is sunk into limos and dresses and after parties. You can definitely be seen as a loser for not going. But at the same time not going cuz "lol f*ck prom :)" can be a cool kid thing to do if you have some Chad qualities.

High school football is pretty1 huge in states like Texas, Florida and Ohio. Playoffs will get televised on the local sports channels that usually carry baseball games and stuff. Outside of that, not so much.

It's a way to facilitate the interracial breeding grounds

I never understood your highshool social circles. In my school we all got along, we went out together we even invited the "nerds" everywhere we went.

That sounds amazing desu. I'd say most high school graduates would be better off here if this occurred.

Most high schools in America are like that, too.

Probably using unpaid black workers to support massive income and industry.

Because due to the nature of American sports (franchines and not clubs, etc)

basically what said

This. Small town communities rally around local sports because there may not be a professional team for 100 miles

You were all equally shit

It really is great I have the same circle of friends for 7 years now. I was a shut in when I started high school but they forced me to go out with them.
Then why does your media portray something entirely different?

Even if we were, who cares we had fun.

playing in their own 50,000+ seats stadiums is not "the antithesis of capitalism" you dumb fuck

They aren't.

Ever been to college?

The only thing I don't understand are cunts who cheer for schools they don't go to.

yeah the schools get fuckloads of money, especially SEC schools from their sports programs.. but they players themselves dont get one dollar for playing.. not directly at least.

Officially worst status than wagecucks

'no'. You are forgetting all the other benefits and bullshit that college athletes get. Full rides, lenient grading, essentially not having to do any work, lower standards than regular students, etc.

yeah no shit. hence the last phrase of my post

Reminder, there are only 20 colleges athletic programs in the US that actually turn a profit.
Only 1% of college basketball/football players make it to the pros...

And that is 20 too many

20/347 D-1 programs... Come on now

It's fun watching people who work hard in the classroom and are smart, just like you, succeed on the playing field where you weren't as good.

>half the classes are we wuz bullshit

It's like if the Nig was given a chance to get out of the ghetto and apply himself to build a better future for himself/family. Instead, they "graduate" with a meaningless degree and end up back on the street

>On March 5, 2010, the Chicago Bears signed Peppers [31] to a six-year contract worth $91.5 million, with $42 million guaranteed in the first three years.[32]

>Peppers signed a three-year deal with the Green Bay Packers on March 15, 2014. The deal was worth $30 million with $8.5 million in first year, and $7.5 million guaranteed,[51][52][53]

Not everyone is Julius Peppers though.
Most college players don't even sniff the NFL and still end up flunking college

see my post here

College shouldn't be a business. Tuition is already way too high as it is

>yfw you're the one professor at UNC who gave Julius Peppers an "A"

Completely agree. I was arguing against college players being paid. However, they could be paid if athletic departments excluded all sports that do not turn a profit. So basically the only sports would be football and men's basketball

slightly deceptive statistic in that yes 20 athletic programs turn a profit (as a whole) but what percent of college football or basketball programs by themselves turn a profit? The reason it's only 20 (as a whole) is because of all the other sports that nobody cares about operating severely in the red.

Thank Title IX for redistributing their profit to the entire athletic program

Idk. It's fucking stupid. Other people mentioned it but it's always most popular in the south or Nebraska so that shows the type of consumer base we're dealing with.

Mainly Southerners like it

>it's in elementary phy-ed methods

Serious question: So from what I understand college handegg isn't full of commercials like professional handegg, right?

Since an average game of handegg only includes around 11 minutes of actualy gameplay, does coverage of college handegg games then only last like half an hour on average?

I prefer College Football to the NFL.

The greatest sport in the world is gaelic football where you play for the county you were born in and you support the county you were born in. No excuses. The players don't get paid, there's no transfers, there;s no bandwagon. NFL is the furthest from this as you can get., a circus full of mercenaries. European football isn't far off that either. And the fans are mostly bandwagon cunts.

College is on Saturdays which is a better day for having an excuse to get with all your friends and drink. Also college has better spirit to it, NFL is almost depressing with how corporate it is. People saying only rural areas like it are wrong; OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, USC, UCLA, ASU, Washington, Cal, are all in places with pro sports yet are still massively popular.

In high school basically the entire school will go to the game, so even if you don't care at all about the sport you will go just to hang around with all your friends. Almost like a giant party.

And if you do like the sport, you will have a way better seat at a high school game than if you go to some fuckhuge 50k person stadium.

Big college games have a shitload of commercials, but they don't actually make the game much longer. The 11 mins of action thing is a misleading meme parroted by sissies. Even highschool games with running clocks and shortened quarters still take like 2 hours