Beautiful and underrated instruments?

electric guitar is kinda played out. i love it as an instrument but realistically there's not a lot of room for interesting experimentation with the instrument that results in melodically pleasing stuff. i seriously doubt we'll ever have another hendrix whos influence over just about all players of the instrument is immense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PH4vvolwwI0
youtube.com/watch?v=r5pYL-Y--To
www75.zippyshare.com/v/V0ETwDOL/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think a resurgence of clarinets is due.

i think beautiful things can be done with the instrument dont get me wrong but it's a bit tired by now. which instruments are out there that are unlike the guitar in this regard?

im listening

Posted this a few months ago.

This might be the pleb in me, but why hasn't there been any other representation in music besides the ODST for Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time? It would be amazing to hear some Dark Ambient/Drone/Post-Rock albums where the Ocarina is the primary instrument. I imagine it as an artifact for a beautiful fantasy story, like a plant wallowing in the winds as birds become blankets of ants.

maybe because it's so well known because of those games? might end up in some finding it a novelty instrument but i agree it does have a beautiful sound to it.

we need more instruments with a built in drone like bagpipes, hurdy gurdys, or traditionally played duduks

the gurdy sounds incredible but i cant find one for sale anywhere

I feel cellos are very underappreciated

theremins are based, I own two, one Moog and one random kit one I built when I was a kid.

Other cool instruments are the hammered dulcimer, IBM 7090, darbuka, zither, and bloogie

nowadays most people see the berimbau as meme instrument but it has good sound
youtube.com/watch?v=PH4vvolwwI0

There's a big audience coming out for softer tracks and feel-good music. A really good clarinetist with a dark tone can add such a smooth, buttery tone into the mix. Clarinets can also be very versatile with their expression and playing style. You want it to scream? Baby, make that girl scream.

It's a much more rounded, consistent alternative to the airy, shrill tones of the flute for all your soprano needs.

Vulfpeck used a clarinet trio in Back Pocket to extraordinary success. Clarinets are neat and even criminally underused in jazz nowadays.

youtube.com/watch?v=r5pYL-Y--To

Hammered Dulcimer sounds amazingly trippy with the right player.

yeah someone mentioned it a couple posts up from yours and it looked ridiculously versatile and sounded great. Very interested in it and its applications

that was very nice, would've been better if it was a more consistent or at least more explored element of the song imo

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

xD

here's a good album with hammered dulcimer. One of my favorites

www75.zippyshare.com/v/V0ETwDOL/file.html

Cor anglais

I love that sound

this is true

my understanding is that the gurdy is something you typically have to have handmade

they've such a lovely tone. bassoon obviously should return as well.

i think it can still do more, but a lot of what that "more" will be is as an alternative to the standard keyboard, replicating orchestral sound on six strings rather than the whole accompaniment. we've got a lot of chameleons on guitars right now, not many vipers.

they want like thirty bucks for one of those fuckers at my local shop. which is another big issue with instrument popularization, but whatever

thirty bucks aint bad. Ive seen some for hundreds