/daily/ - full of normies? edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/: → →

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X-wpu5__9jI
youtu.be/PUvVjWR3zTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Dy99hDiC_Zk
youtube.com/watch?v=08-A_a8GNCw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cow

oh yeah! ohhhh yeah.

today i will remind them

that chart's really cool btw hampus

every flippin' time

Oh yeah I also started on this chart!

[1/2]

Earthless - Sonic Prayer (2005)
>Heavy Psych, Space Rock

I picked this album because I just learned that alongside the post-hardcore scene in the late 90s, 00s, San Diego had a huge space rock / jam band thing going on. I’m pretty terrible at paying attention to the local scene here or even looking into any of the history. Honestly, I don’t even know what kind of music we usually have. I think this is because San Diego doesn’t really have a distinct or defining attribute when compared to most cities. When you think of San Fran, you probably think of the summer of love and now the blossoming tech industry. When you think of LA, you probably think of Hollywood, awful fucking traffic, the Rodney King riots and the Lakers. The music kind of follows suit, expressing a lot of the cultural ideas that define the area. With San Diego, there may not be a defining moment or even industry that first comes to the average person’s mind so the music follows suit, lacking a notable sound. Their drummer Mario Rubalcaba even said he likes jamming because it doesn’t have a distinct goal so maybe I’m onto something. I may be overthinking that anyway.

Earthless in a weird way expresses that aimlessness, wandering around in this fuzzed out, psych realm that never quite goes anywhere. It’s just two extended 20 minute cuts, where the band hits this middle ground between the desert rock sound and straight up psych. It’s not a sound I’m drawn to but they pull it off quite well. I’ll admit, it gets to be on the long side at times, as the guitar solos continually, while the drums / bass kind of just cycle around in the background. It has a krautrock vibe at times, which is apparently one of their biggest influences.

[2/2]

In a way, it’s meditative and entrancing but after about 30 minutes, things start getting stale - which is a big drawback to this style. The riffs kind of wear thin but for a majority of the album I found myself bobbing my head along and vibing with it.

Anyway, a pretty solid jam and a nice look into some local music!

3/5

GSYBE - Yanqui UXO (2002)
>Post-Rock

For whatever reason, I’ve found this band to be incredibly hit or miss. I think Skinny Fists is a pretentious piece of garbage but love the atmosphere on F# and Slow Riot. This album kind of sits in the middle imo. It has some awesome moments, especially on the slower cuts but the longer tracks just drone on far too long and don’t give me any sort of emotional connection, which is what I look for in this style. It’s like these guys try to make their music as forcefully epic sounding as possible on this album and it sometimes works and it sometimes doesn’t. I think it leans toward the latter though. Pretty much just okay, not much else I have to say otherwise.

borzoi's drawing gets me every time

yeah when I think of LA the first thing that comes to mind is the Rodney King riots

Omg I fucking forgot about this

they've been shilling this lady so hard that I might just give her a listen

some of her songs are interesting but some have the most drab production

Yeah, not sure what others associate with LA but I threw the riot in cause it's a crazy event that pops out to me. Had a huge impact on the city and is referenced a lot in the city's music.

hmm...

>find a best tapes of 2016 list
>mfw none of the tapes are on either rym or slsk
too cruel

nvm found a few of em

That’s a cool psych scene in San Diego! Im from not far away originally myself. You must see Earthless live if they play in town. Harsh Toke and Sacri Monti are also quality.

lmao

she's really not that bad but yeah all the hype is industry plugging and twitter meme clout

speaking of type o, peter was 100% on a fox news binge when writing this song
youtube.com/watch?v=X-wpu5__9jI

anyone else think this sounds a bit ass? is it just a poor quality youtube upload? i don't remember the last time i heard something that was supposed to sound heavy sound as flat and distant as this. its like they're playing in the next room over.

both jangle and bojangle suck

no, it's not the yt upload. it's most likely because peter is mixed so high + type o really isn't that heavy + flatness is a bit common in goth metal.

1st and last song are much better cuts from the benus album but I'm not gonna defend ToN that hard. They're not that amazing.

so which one of us is going to represent daily?

Yeah it seems like there’s a cool scene from what I’ve read but I haven’t dug into it much yet. I will have to keep an eye for those guys / add em to my list!

Where ya from if you don’t mind me asking?

im OP

hampus posted his benus with songs of love and hate iirc but archive doesn't save any pics that old

maybe jangles ass

Irvine. Family lived in poway more recently though

def one of the greatest threads to grace this boring-ass board

i emailed death grips

there's gotta be a dickscord
lemme hop in and talk about avant music and transgod

what the flip delete this retweet

WHAT THE FLIP DELETE THIS RETWEET

@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey fish :)

hii

Sweet, Irvine is such a nice little city from what I can tell! Also I was actually up in the Poway area for about a year. Just moved back down close to the city actually, being up there was a little too isolated for me. I was far away from everything... I like being closer to the action here lol.

what's new with your life

not much,,,back in college and drunk on cheap vodka rn. I hate my roommates so much.

wbu

Cool, got drunk with my roommates because my buddy I was supposed to jam with never texted me back.
I don't chill with my roommates much because we have different schedules/friend groups but when I do they're pretty cool guys. We talked about technological advancement and politics all night; they actually mostly agree with my stances which is unprecedented, but maybe that's because I'm persuasive. I'm pretty beerb.
Why don't you like your roommates? Do they think Hot Rats is shitty fake jazz?

okay chart reviews time

>AЛ-90 - КOД-915913 (2015)
Russian “post-house” constructed largely out of tape loops. The soul samples are always divine, and AЛ-90 has a really solid grasp on infectious ‘four on the floor’ beats—though any and every house producer can do that. What really sets this album apart is the incredibly detailed production. With every sample, there’s some sort of synthesized accompaniment or embellishment. The attention to detail is incredibly captivating.

And just when you think it’ll get stale, he pulls out some new stylistic innovation. One after the other, all with one cohesive atmosphere. This is a legendary house tape.
>8+/10

>The Sacred Mushroom - The Sacred Mushroom (1969)
Formally perfect blues rock: sweet choruses, fun grooves, and bitchin’ guitar solos. While it does have a bit of a hippy-dippy streak, it’s otherwise pretty devoid of unique character.
>6-/10

>Career Suicide - Attempted Suicide (2007)
Airtight, mile a minute hardcore punk—by the books, but loads of youthful energy and snotty attitude do wonders for anything so basic.
>7-/10

>Even Oxen - Arrayed Above the Seraphim Lights (2016)
I was always scared to listen to this because I thought it’d be one of those overrated, can’t-really-criticize-your-pals kind of deals, but it’s the real deal alright. Great, catchy indie folk and noise songwriting, if fairly simplistic.
>7/10

>13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere (1967)
There seems to be some concensus that, when you take away the frills, the Elevators play just off-basic garage rock. Exceptions like "(I've Got) Levitation" aside, I'd have to agree. They've got a cool sound here, and the bass gives the songs a strong pulse, but I found many songs simply tiresome to listen to.
>5+/10

>Feed Me Jack - Chumpfrey (2012)
There's a lot to unpack here. They sound like some generic indie rock band at heart--the vocalist actually distinctly reminds me of The Districts--with a slight pop punk/math edge maybe, but they blanket their songs in a neverending cascade of random pop music quotations. It's actually remarkable how many styles they can reference. Any one song could contain snippets of math, psych, prog, punk, country, surf, ska, jazz, whatever. You name it, they can play it. It's impressive that their songs sound so cohesive.

Too bad it's not really my kind of music. If you had showed this to, like, 16 year old me, I'd have been all over it.
>6/10

>Feed Me Jack - Chumpfrey (2013)
More of the exact same, really. Bit more math. Not quite as memorable.
>6-/10

>Sun Ra - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy (1967)
I'm not sure what this is, but it's not cosmic or therapeutic. Occasionally, it almost sounds like jazz. The entire album is intriguing, but "Moon Dance" is so legit.
>6+/10

>Tim Buckley - Lorca (1970)
I figured Scruffy was just bullshitting out his Italian butthole when he was going off about Buckley synthesizing a new genre by fusing folk, blues, jazz, and psychedelic rock or whatever; but what do ya know?

This is powerful stuff, these minimal, emotional, formless dirges.
>9/10

>Tim Buckley - Starsailor (1971)
Buckley buckles down and make a much more eclectic but categorizable batch of songs here. It’s not like he’s selling out or anything. There’s still a dark, depravity to this music, and plenty of avant-garde sonic features to keep consumers away. Plus, these songs seldom feature verse/chorus structure.

However, I found the lengthy, free-flowing, and often completely unpredictable pieces from the last album to be more intriguing and entertaining.

Still, great stuff. I’ve been listening to both both Lorca and Starsailor all day.
>8-/10

so far so great

whoops, wrong file>Do they think Hot Rats is shitty fake jazz?
patrician friends

roommate #1 is redditlord supreme who just plays league and listens to joe rogan all day and is going to college to be a cop

roommate #2 is a jock-type and he's alright honestly but we have nothing in common

They tried to hang a blue lives matter flag in our living room but I shut that shit down so fast. They also drink a lot of shitty light beer and play call of duty/watch family guy every day which sucks bc my room is right next to the TV

when ya gonna hit up that eternal rhythm goddamn

>going to college to be a cop
why would anyone ever do this. You live in US right?

jimmy jazz becoming quite the sassy bitch these days, you go girl

buckley scores got me HARD
Starsailor IMO is the greatest artistic glimpse into the artists genome; just listen to live renditions of the tracks to see just how much was left to improvisation; coupled with the meticulous composition of the title track and the wild funk-jazz of the closer, which would become his next endeavour. The term selling-out should be the farthest thing from your mind when hearing this.

Blue lives do matter tho wtf, dumb commie smdh

>roommate #1 is redditlord supreme who just plays league and listens to joe rogan all day and is going to college to be a cop
lmao

>I was always scared to listen to this because I thought it’d be one of those overrated, can’t-really-criticize-your-pals kind of deals,
boy do I hate this kind of feeling

nobody tell him

>jimmy jazz becoming quite the sassy bitch these days, you go girl
i thought that was always their gist

But for real these just sound like regular people... not everyone listens to free jazz while reading Nietzsche belieb it or not

he's a mysterious man. I might've talked about this before but he asked me "who is the one person you would have a conversation with alive or dead?" one time and I probably said like captain beefheart or some avant-teen bullshit and he for real said joe rogan which just internally pissed me off so bad

they like electroswing and jack johnson btw

lmao you don't have to be a tankie to realize blue lives matter is just some dumb flyover state bullshit. I've literally never seen anything about it outside of the midwest.

Aren't libertarians supposed to be against state-enforced shit anyways?

dischord used to exist but is now rip

I have plenty normie friends that I like but I really don't like STEM-normie types which is unfortunate going to a college that's mostly comsci/engineering-based

I only really dislike one who is so redditnormie it hurts. The chad-type is fine ig

also
>Nietzsche
>not normie

I could do it sooner rather than later
>electroswing and jack johnson
Incredible. The two worst parts of music

I'm just not gonna respond to this

other than fishmans and hot rats

they had a bonding moment over alt j the other day but unfortunately they ended up in an argument abt if cartman or stewie would win in a fight. Very sad.

I'm not a libertarian god flippin dammit
I had a roommate in college threaten me at knifepoint so I guess I don't understand 'roommate problems' when it's just an eccentricity clash. Honestly though I think your mindset about people puts you at a severe disadvantage in the world even if it's just internal; disliking someone because of who they are and what they do in their spare time seems kind of petty. Find something you admire about them; there's always something.

Literally no normie actually reads Nietzsche stfu

ativan is good
what is it about benzos that like magnify your mindset. like when I'm depressed and take a benzo, it just makes me more suicidal. but when I'm not stressed or feeling like a SAD BOY it just makes me happy and I want to talk to loads of people

I have 4g of mushrooms rn and if it wasn't freezing rain out I'd strongly consider taking them despite it being 1am.
Fuck it, if trips I will do it.

like I said, I'm fine with one of them and we've hung out a couple times but just don't have much in common. The other one has literally no redeeming qualities. I don't think you understand how bad flyover-state agriculture/STEM people are. It's a task to find half-decent people on this campus and I have very little in common with most of my friends anyways.

I knew at least two normie types (at least both were normie back then, one isn't atm) in hs that read nietzche. It's literally the first philosopher any edgelord reads maybe other than Stirner

is it because when you're on shrooms you feel like being outside? At least, that's how I felt.

1. I seriously think you should consult your inner self and ask yourself why you dislike these people. Not briefly. I'm not making any assumptions but I had a similar experience to you a few years ago and now I realize that mindset was a detriment to my success.
2. Like, actually read his works or read his wikipedia entry? I've only experienced the latter lmao.
3. When I'm on shrooms I have to be outside, or at least have that option wide open. Honestly I'll probably take them tomorrow because I have a very specific checklist of things that have to be met to do drugs and I'm at a rare moment where they're met.

Also why is having stuff in common a selling point on friendship? None of my best friends enjoy music to the capacity I do; in fact it's a running joke about me renting CD's from the library and spending all my money on vinyl, and listening to wacky shit. The people who are the most different from you are the one's you learn the most from.

I see what you mean but I've talked with him plenty and I don't see the point in trying to find the good in a stereotypical reddit libertarian. I've seriously tried to find some sense of goodness or self-awareness in him but I've seen none. You don't have to find the good in everyone sometimes.

he has a harambe tattoo man idk what else to say

I think one of the people I knew just like read about Nietche on Wikipedia or something but the other guy definitely read his stuff. I definitely thought Nietzche was super eye-opening back then too but maybe it was because most of what I'd been exposed to then was christian and classical literature

Both times I've done shrooms I've ended up just wondering around in the woods lmao

Like I've said plenty before: maybe one or two of my friends like what I do and the rest don't at all. I have nothing in common as far as interests with some of my friends honestly.

Also it's not interests that I usually seek out in people. What I can't stand though is absolutely zero self-awareness or ability to poke-fun at one's self, which is why I dislike my wannabe cop reddit roommate so much

>he has a harambe tattoo man

Yeah, my irl humour is like 90% self deprecating. It's strange to me when people can't laugh at themselves; it's basically a joke target with a 0% chance of offence. I can't explain how vitally important it is to actually [i]like[/i] everyone though, it's like cheat codes to life, and it's something that can be learned fairly easily, albeit with a decent amount of mental energy.
People are different man, and the Harambe tattoo or blue lives matter shit shows perhaps an under/differently developed subsection of a vast consciousness that's undoubtably more adept at certain activities than you are; perhaps to the same capacity that you dismiss them on.
Think of the people you 'don't like' as almost psychological test subjects. They're fascinating.

or just hang out with people with pleasant personalities

idk i've tried hanging out with people with really dissimilar personalities to mine and I end up getting anxiety about how I could probably be more effectively spending my time consuming art, reading, making music

>Both times I've done shrooms I've ended up just wondering around in the woods lmao
The first time I did shrooms I put on headphones (which I never do in public, so already alien) and walked around in a dark forest alone listening to Psychic TV in an attempt to explore my consciousness. It was fucking terrifying and exhilarating.

You're not saying the right things then, You can have fascinating, eye opening conversations with almost anyone, except perhaps a non-communicative vegetable or a communist or something. (Idiot alert: The communist comment is a joke)

>Yeah, my irl humour is like 90% self deprecating.
I find people that are over-abundantly self-deprecating to be tiring. I like an occasional self-teasing joke every once and a while with friends, but if someone just keeps going at themselves or overdoes it, it just makes me concerned

Okay lets finish this chart. Get ready its going to be a lot

>The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Yeah its great. Anything that I am going to say here is something that everyone already knows about or that you don't already know. The atmosphere is great, Lou Reed does his gay voice, the noise is amazing. h
7/10
>Joy Division - Closer
I have never been that big a fan of Joy Division and this didn't really change my opinion. The lyrics are great but the playing around it and atmosphere did nothing for me. There are still some amazing songs on here though, Heart and Soul and The Eternal are fantastic songs, but besides that there isn't much I really dug here. However life has been going pretty good right now so I may need to be more sad to really get this album.
5/10
>The Mothers of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
This is the kind of Zappa album I want, insane jazz fusion mixed with prog and free improvisation. This album succeeds at being chaotic better than any other Zappa album I have heard, Didja Get Any Onya and Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Sexually Aroused Gas Mask are insane. While this album does that insanely well it still has the occasional blues and pop track that absolutely kills my boner, except Oh No, Oh No is good. Thankfully the blues and pop tracks are far and in between which makes more room for the chaos that I love so much.
6/10
>Le mystère des voix bulgares - Le mystère des voix bulgares : volume 1
Is it bad that my first thought was of Ghost in the Shell? Incredibly powerful and rich choral music. The voices have this nice warm feeling to them that gives the album a calm and soothing atmosphere. It makes me want to fall asleep but in a good way.
8/10

90% was perhaps a pretty extreme over exaggeration; I know how to laugh at myself at opportune times, let's say.

>Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
A wonderful combination of Talk Talk's poppier days and what they would end up being on Laughing Stock. Every track here is very minimal and quiet; letting every brush stroke, guitar chord, and bass drum be heard in absolute clarity. Hollis' voice gives this album a really uplifting tone, he has such a nice voice that makes me happy. I liked this way more than I thought I would, defiantly need to give Laughing Stock another chance. Also the outro here is sublime.
7/10
>Radiohead - Kid A
I am not the biggest radiohead fan but this album does it for me. The atmosphere here is great, it is constantly dark and sad which fits well with the lyrics and instrumentation, also the s/t is amazing.
6/10
>Exuma - Exuma
This is one of the best vocal performances I have ever heard. Exuma's voice is so raw and passionate I don't think anything will be able to beat it. What he's singing is also great, these are some crazy good lyrics, Zombie really got me. The atmosphere here is insane as well, the same way that First Utterance feels like being in a dark forest with cultists, Exuma feels like a tropical village with a tribe performing the greatest sacrifice of all time. I have never heard anything like this and I don't think I will again. My only problem with this album is that the first half is so crazy good that the second half can't deliver, but I still love it none the less. Also I'M EXUMA I'M THE OOOOOOOOBEAH MAN!
8/10

>Bernard Parmegiani - De natura sonorum
P spooky. Musique concrète has never really been one of my favorite genres but this is pretty good. The atmosphere is tense, it sounds tense and suspicious, the dynamics are great, it is constantly going from lonely drone to some kind of sound that pops out. The spookiness is nice at first but I could only last about ten minutes here. After those ten minutes I just got annoyed and couldn't really enjoy it as much. I guess I'm still to much of a pleb.
5/10
>Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
One of the most hard hitting, sad, depressive, insane albums I have ever heard. Every song on here rocks me to the core, whether it be the lyrics or the drones or just everything about the song, and every song manages to top the last, whether it be the phone sex at the end of Beautiful Day or the explosion at All Lined Up. Gira's voice as well fits this album so perfectly, his low gravelly almost spoken word voice gives this album so much power. For Swans to leave on this much of a high note is insane.
8/10
>Swans - The Seer
Okay so I came from Soundtracks straight to The Seer and I was disappointed. I like my Swans as a slow and with drones. This feels a too loud and fast for me, like at 12:00 of the s/t, to me that almost sounds like a Boredom track. Compared to, lets say, Helpless Child which is a lot more slow and atmospheric. I personally prefer the slow pulse but just because The Seer is different doesn't mean it isn't good. This album is just as spooky as Soundtracks, the atmosphere is this tense storm of anarchic instruments and the repetition being used only increases this feeling. Its an interesting new direction but still a good one.
6/10

I’m giving the new Greenwood soundtrack a 9/10 just for how well he copies Messiaen and how delightful the inclusion of the nylon string guitar is. The Hem is so fucking good, holy shit

>Arvo Pärt - Tabula rasa
Incredibly powerful music. Every instrument is being played with such feeling and emotion, creating these atmospheres of sadness. The repetition only drills in these emotions and makes for a powerful 54 minutes that feels like an eternity but in the best way possible.
8/10
>The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
This is still one of the best pop albums I have ever heard. The harmonies are amazing, the lyrics are amazing, everything here I love so much that I can't put into words.I love it so much.
9/10
>Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
I have always perfected ambient vaperwave Oneohtrix Point Never more than his progressive electronic counter part. Oneohtrix Point Never has amazing ambient soundscapes which this album has but only for a short while or half of a song, Inside world and Americans are both like this. The more busy parts I just can not get into, the sole exception for me being Zebra which is a banger during its electric part. Besides Zebra though, most of this album is me getting into an atmosphere only for it to be interrupted by some bleeps.
5/10
>Artur Rubinstein - The Nocturnes
Lo-Fi classical piano may be a new favorite for me. Each piece is filled with such emotion and feeling and the hiss in the background blends together to get this sorrowful, beautiful piano performance. I still can't review classical to save my life but I like this a lot.
7/10

>Arditti String Quartet & Dawn Upshaw - Arnold Schoenberg 2: Streichquartette I-IV
I need to be more accustomed to classical before I say anything about this to keep me from looking like a dumb ass.
Will return/10
>Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Everything here is pure Mingus. From the post bop sound to the arrangements, everything has his thumbprint on it and it is wonderful. Every arrangement is so full of life and energy and every solo that is taken is great. My only gripe is that they feel to short. Aside from Pussy Cat Dues, I wish that everything could have been developed a bit more.
7/10
>Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
I forgot how funky post punk can be. This was a really fun record, all of the instruments work wonderfully together and the little bits of noise add a nice variety. The album starts to sound very samey after a while though. But I heard it gets better on repeated listens so we'll see if it gets bumped up.
6/10
>Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Afrika 70 - Zombie
As good as everything Kuti has made but I feel like this one doesn't have the same feeling that something like Expensive Shit had. It's not as exciting as Expensive Shit was and feels kind of bland in comparison. That may be because Expensive Shit is that good but this did not do it for me.
5/10
>Coil - Time Machines
Some parts have the most haunting sci fi sounding drone I have ever heard in my life. Then the album dies down and becomes normal again. It flows between these but when it gets good it destroys anything in its path.
6/10

douche

>Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend
Some of the most fun I have had on this chart. Crazy fun funk with amazing vocals, the scream on a change is going to come is amazing. Every song was just as much fun as the last and just as creative. There was never had a moment where it got boring or lame. It kept this energy until the very end and was so much fun.
7/10
>Nico - Desertshore
This is one of the coldest albums I have ever heard, it sounds almost lifeless. Yet somehow this is some insanely emotional music. Nico's voice, for a much as I typically dislike it, is perfect in this scenario and is so emotional. I prefer the droneier bits when compared to the folk bits but it is still over all good.
6/10
>Ryoji Ikeda - dataplex
One of those albums that has to be played loud or not at all. All the bleeps and bloops hitting my ears with all the power they got. This also has some great atmosphere with it. It feels as if you are trapped in a server that has recently gained artificial intelligence and trying to talk to you. It feels as if it was made in the future and just happened to be placed back in time. Its an incredible experience that I will not forget. Also this is has one of the best endings to an album I have ever heard.
7/10
>Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Safe as Milk
The last word I would ever use to describe Beefheart would be fun. However this album is fun as hell. Beefheart's voice is so god damn great and he is having a blast here. Also for a guy that typically hates 60s blues rock this is wonderful. The fact that in two years Trout Mask Replica would be made and that this was what came before is so odd. I barley even think of this as Beefheart its so different. I'll definitely have to try some more blues rock.
6/10

>Oneohtrix score
understandable, I wasn't too hot on this album when I first heard it
>Bernard Parmegiani score
Delete

oh yeah he did that i should listen to it

I hope so

>ROME - Flowers From Exile
Reiseherrschaft was amazing but nothing after that really grabbed my interest. I like neofolk with samples as an idea but it seems a little out of place here. But the band sounds good together and it has the same dark atmosphere that neofolk is known for whilst still being poppy. I just wish there was more variety and was overall more interesting.
5/10
>Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
Feels very different from to Ys but still has some good stuff. There is a lot of filler here, a lot of long filler, but once you get past that this it is the same Newson that I love, You And Me, Bess and Kingfisher are fantastic.
5/10
>Joanna Newsom - Divers
Again a different direction for Newsom but one I love so much more. This has so much of the magic and atmosphere that I love from Newsom but now its in a more poppy shell. This is my favorite Newsom vocal performance by far, she has so much power and emotion behind her voice. Also Anecdotes and Time, As A Symptom just jumped to the top of my favorite Newsom tracks.
7/10
>The California EAR Unit - For Philip Guston
The conversation I had with my brother ended up making me appropriate this album more than I probably would. He was mad at how minimalist and long the piece was claiming that it was not music. I'll admit this ones a sit but after 50 minutes I started to kind of get it. I have never been more lost in a piece of music. I had no clue what was going to happen next so I just let myself be taken by the music. Whilst being taken away, around the 1h30m mark, I feel into the atmosphere and notes and loved it. But my favorite part was the ending. I never thought that it would end. I just listened to the silence afterwords expecting it to go on. This is a magical album that I will not forget.
7/10

One chart down, on to the next!

Yeah I'm a pleb

alright that's enough self-deprecation humor for me today haha

Great job finishing that chart (have one on me doesnt have a score on it btw). I admit that I'm still brewing on that same Schoenberg release as well actually, i found it difficult to digest

slint more like shit

Okay on to the next chart, doing all jazz and classical. Go ahead and give me what you think is good!
Thanks man, glad I'm not alone with Schoenberg.

Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun

oooooh fun
I've always wanted to try a psychedelic, but my issue is that I'm not in a good spot mentally yet, so I know that I'll go in and have a bad trip.
at the end of the year, if I've had a good year and can pull myself off of my medications and be fully functioning, then I'll probably do it.

I'm in a pretty good mindset and had a great year
took acid for the first time a couple weeks ago and had a fucking horrible time

fug
my brother's a bit of a drug... aficionado, and recommended that I do shrooms first
have you thought about microdosing?

don't really wanna do acid again
didn't make me feel productive at all, didn't make music any more enjoyable
just turned me into a delusional idiot and made me feel like garbage

Pig sleep

Xenakis - Metastasis; Pithoprakta; Eonta
Messiaen - Vingt Regards pour l'Enfant Jesus (Yvonne Loriod)
Feldman - For John Cage (Takahashi)
Colette Roper - Piano Pieces
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Dave Holland - Conference of the Birds
Sun Ra - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy
Andrew Cyrille/Milford Graves - Dialogue of the Drums

My main advice would be plan ahead and rid yourself of any and all obligations. That means wake up to a completely chore-less house, have no homework, no dishes, no laundry, no groceries to do etc. I've never been in a bad frame of mind so I can't speak to that part, but ridding yourself of physical clutter does tremendous things to your psyche. Second piece of advice is to not fight it no matter how crazy it gets; fighting it is fruitless and leads to a bad time. Third piece of advice is to do it during daylight, and experience many different atmospheres, and always have a safe route out/home. The concept of a bad trip is very damaging in my opinion; people are scared of anything remotely negative. You're actually completely fine if you obey advice #2.

Fun fact: I listened to Dialoghi Del Presente on acid a few days after I discovered it and couldn't stop listening to it; became my favourite album instantly.

Do shrooms first ye

as a contrasting opinion, i didn't expect to have a bad trip at all and didn't fight the trip at all
ended up convincing myself that I was stuck in a PT-esque time loop and didn't tell my friends that I was scared shitless because I convinced myself that they were evil entities that had plotted to trap me in this time loop.
I guess be aware that psychedelics have the potential to temporarily make you fucking insane and also keep in mind that at least with acid you will be high for a long long fucking time.

not writing this to scare people out of doing psychedelics. do them if you want to
i'm totally fine at this point, but it was an unenjoyable experience.
so like keep that in mind i guess.

>The last word I would ever use to describe Beefheart would be fun

That’s the first word that comes to my mind when thinking of Beefheart

what's the last song you listened to on repeat 10 times in a row?

This tbqh
youtu.be/PUvVjWR3zTQ

youtube.com/watch?v=Dy99hDiC_Zk

rude
i'm just trying to offset your impeccable restrain and cold calculation :{}

hmm
maybe this
youtube.com/watch?v=08-A_a8GNCw

i missed you doogevilage

he's back he really is

I know at least three people who never read any other philosophy but were huge on Nietzsche. One of them read him to get over breakups. And of course everyone who is into philosophy reads Nietzsche fairly soon.into their studies unless they avoid him because of le fedora meme, which most people don't. Nietzsche is normie af.

I've done nothing since Christmas besides being sick, maybe the end is finally on its way

they do though, whenever they get something out of it is another thing

Shrooms first is a solid advice, watch dosage though i find medium ones uncomfortable either light or heavy-ish, the middle ground is odd. Microdosing is great but you really need to do the measuring of doses well so you don't meme yourself.

got 2 of lib caps in my dresser drawer myself all comfy waiting for when I'm not sick anymore