It took the full resources of the Empire, strip mining worlds across the galaxy...

It took the full resources of the Empire, strip mining worlds across the galaxy, and some of its smartest scientists ever to build the Death Star.

How the fuck did the First Order, who are basically space ISIS, build a bigger, better Death Star?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nightly thread?

30 years

TFA is shit and R1 further cements that.

>LMAO ITS BIGGER THAN THE DEATH STAR

3rd party funding and cheap contractors

dude how did they build a planet ayy

They made Mexico pay for it.

They built it out of a planet the Empire had already partially stripmined for Kyber Crystals

they just put shit on a planet, it could not move or do anything but to fire the massive fuckbarrage it fired

It can move.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

Wouldn't the atmosphere get sucked into the hole?

>that giant ass trench going halfway to the planet core
>sucks up a fucking star
>shoots a solar system over
>magic laser beam splits apart into different directions
>just so it can be biggerer and deadlierer than the death star "it's so bad ass guise this is like the OT on steroids!"
Lucas needs to tell that retard JJ how to make a movie fucking pronto.

They built the gun inside of a planet instead of making a space station from scratch.
Also, maybe it was an Imperial project before they finished it

We really need some fleshing out of the The First Order in Episode 8.

My moneys on the Galactic Empire being so large that while it was severely defeated in ANH and ROTJ it was large enough to fight the New Republic to a stalemate and they eventually signed a peace treat, which was followed by the balkanization of the Empire and the First Order was just the most influential and wealthiest.

It would explain why the New Republic doesnt send its army against them and why theres an insurgency called the Resistance which is being funneled arms and funds by the Republic not unlike the USA and ISIS.

>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

>Starkiller Base was a mobile ice planet located in the Unknown Regions that served as a stronghold of the First Order thirty years after the Battle of Endor

>The result of decades searching for a world that met the exact specifications for the First Order's newest superweapon

>thirty years after the Battle of Endor
>The result of decades searching for a world

>thirty years after
>The result of decades

So they built it in at most 10 years?

The gun itself looks like it's 90% the size of the old death star when compared together in the movie.

WHY did they also design it with a single weak point that if destroyed would implode the entire planet??? I mean they didn't even need to steal detailed secret plans that revealed a closely guarded error in the design or anything and didn't even learn any lessons from the last TWO Death Stars that got destroyed.

JJ confirmed as Michael Bay tier.

You have to understand that in StarWars everything is on a grand scale.

The Empire controls half the galaxy.
Literally unlimited resources, and labor.

If they could build a super cannon, why did hollow out a planet that already had plant life and a biosphere and shit in order to build it, and why would they use the planet's one and only sun to power it up for a single shot? Or is it just that retarded because JJ is a hack and wanted a Death Star remake, just like the rest of the movie was a remake?

Yes, why didn't they respect the environment when building a superweapon designed to destroy solar systems.

Unfortunately for shit like that in star wars there always has to be an Achilles heel in all their "super weapons"

Why didn't they build it on a moon with low-g so it was easier and cheaper to construct
Why didn't they build it on a space ship and simply eat the suns of various solar systems, since that would be just as deadly as a meme cannon

>space ISIS

Technology advances. It took the US, which had 50% of the world's industrial capacity at the time, 5 years to build one atomic bomb from 1940-1945. In the next 15 years, we built 11,000 of them.

And in 2016, a developed country like Japan could easily throw one together in a matter of months as long as they had nuclear material to work with.

>simply eat the suns of various solar systems

This was what I was expecting it to do, since it was called "Starkiller". Wouldn't it have made more sense (and been much cooler) for it to destroy a solar system's sun, destroying its planets or at least rendering them uninhabitable? What's the point of calling it "starkiller" if you're just going to have it be exactly like the death star, but with 3 lasers instead of 1?

just look a the human pleb race
>1903 first plane
>1969 moon landing

reminder that we had 0 internet just 15 years ago.
If you just have to reinvent and not invent from ground, its easy to scale at insane rates.

What about how easy it is to be destroyed?

>A couple grenades down below
>Shut off shields
JJ is a hack and anyone who defends TFA likes bad movies that don't make sense

At least Rogue One explains that the reason the Death Star was easy to be destroyed was due to the weakness.

>technology advances
Except it doesn't. Not in Star Wars. Technology is largely based off of the Force. Any meaningful advancement between episodes I and VII is based on ingenuity rather than any "hardware" upgrade. Starkiller base would've been possible to build before.

>Drained the energy from the sun
>Everyone didn't freeze
>Sun didn't collapse before it was drained
>''DUDE JUST TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN LMAO''

>we had 0 internet just 15 years ago.

You're fucking stupid

Except in trying to appease the OT fanboys they kept all the tech exactly the same. Also diminishing returns.

>temps drop instantly
kek

>planet just sucked up all the energy from an entire star
>still snow on the ground

They changed it in stupid ways. Which is the wrong way to do it. Keep it the same or go all out.

Granted, with what they did to the Star Destroyer in TFA, I'd hate to see what original designs they'd actually come up with

maybe the empire and first order are both a smokescreen and the true power is in the hands of the rich political elite

i mean do we really know who owns Kuat Systems Engineering or the shipyards at Raxus Prime?

>Earth's core is molten hot
>still water on the surface

>0 internet 15 years ago
Found the fucking phone poster.

Don't forget Sienar Fleet Systems!

>reminder that we had 0 internet just 15 years ago.

Hahahaha

Starkiller Base is so fucking stupid. Even glancing a the design makes you go "what." I mean, the Death Star(s) were stupidly huge engineering projects but they fit with the general idea of big ships and bases, Starkiller just makes you wonder how the fuck anyone built that kind of thing at all. It looks like some kind of goofy overdesigned piece of shit from a Final Fantasy game.

>no internet
>15 years ago
KEK
come back in 3 years faggot

>Sienar Fleet Systems

Right! If a big factor in the vietnam war was selling helicopters, whose to say star wars doesn't work the same way?

for all we know the entire rebel conflict is nothing but propaganda to support an eternal war economy--I for one am a lot more comfortable with the idea that "the force" is all holograms and hidden tractor beams rather than an ancient religion that can really do magic tricks

yoda was a fucking puppet

>Except it doesn't. Not in Star Wars.

Why weren't there Death Stars floating around in Episodes I and II then? We don't see the first one being built until the very end of 3.

Your post is so fucking stupid. Even glancing at the content makes you go "what." I mean, posts are stupid easy to write, but they fit with the general idea of making sense and communicating ideas. your post makes you wonder how the fuck anyone could be so retarded at all. It looks like some shit written by a nigger

And why do Fondor and Kuat never get damaged in any of these movies?

yeah that's not true. almost no star wars tech is based on magic besides lightsabers (sort of) and maybe holochrons and shit.

it's all giant fusion reactors and stuff, regular science. most people don't even believe in the force.

but how?

i thought starkiller base required fewer resources since it was on a planet

We had no internet in 2001? Well color me stupid I must have imagined playing counterstrike with other people.

thanks for fixing my typo at least

Would have been so much better if the first order had dug up some Death Star prototype or a spare space laser for the Death Star II and just flew it around.

It's awful. A team of heroes jacked the original death star plans and they all die in the process. Now a single fucking janitor rats the whole place out.

>Star Destroyer
>never see it destroy any stars
>Han mentions that they would need a fleet of them just to destroy Alderaan
Nothing ever makes sense in Star Wars

>suck up the sun's energy
>blow up a bunch of planets
>now your Starkiller base has nothing to draw power from and no nearby hostages
Bravo

>entire star = planet core
The planet would literally have turned into another star

try almost 30 years, retard.

What the fuck is that? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT??!

You are taking movies a little bit too serious

>Mig25 Foxbat
>Is neither a fox nor a bat
>Nothing makes sense in real life!
This is you.

>yfw when Leia is a Sith lord and plays the role Palpatine did in the prequels
>yfw First Order is the good guys
>yfw Rey becomes Leia's disciple and basically Vader 2.0

I CAN'T EVEN KILL HIM REGULAR

>people can just stare at the beam without any eye protection
>it can be seen propagating in real time lightyears away

The First Order is still the Empire. They have all the same people and infrastructure.

The First Order is basically the last gasp of the galactic military industrial complex taking over after the Empire was beheaded.

once someone built the bow and arrow, it wasn't that hard for someone to think of the concept of the ballista

Bad comparison

I made my first email address back in 2000 lads

Wise guy

I'm going to disagree with you right here on this one - the Death Star having the weak point is stupid even with Rogue Ones explanation

But absorbing a star, which has more mass than the thing holding it and likely has to be compressed down, etc etc etc - it makes sense that it's "easier" to destroy. That planet under is under massive pressure when the star is absorbed - and it's probably fucking impossible to destroy otherwise.

Think of it like having an armory full of grenades and explosives, and you pull the pin on a single grenade. When it explodes, it's not just going to explode one thing. All the other bombs are also going to go off with it.

it's why the planet was consumed back into a sun.

Out of all the Star Wars magic macguffin "Blow this up to destroy everything" weak points, THIS ONE makes the most sense. There *IS* no way to properly protect it from the attack that hit it, and even then the movie showed safeguards and redundancies in place

JJ Abrams is a talentless hack thats how.

Doooon't pretend any of this shit made sense because it didn't.

It WOULD have been better to have the First Order cast as an imperial-aligned terrorist group with cool weapons, one which couldn't be engaged by traditional means, and then set the scene as one of a cold war between the New Republic and Imperial Remnant, but then JJ couldn't have milked the nostalgia fags. So he basically just made up some bullshit plot and added a Mary Sue to sell Halloween costumes to 8 year old girls.

>>Except [tecnology] doesn't. Not in Star Wars.
>Why weren't there Death Stars floating around in Episodes I and II then? We don't see the first one being built until the very end of 3.

Because the idea of building that was so horrible that only an utterly corrupt leader with absolute power could ever manage it.

Also, the Death Stars consumed ludicrous resources that would have impoverished the rest of the galaxy.

As for Starkiller Base, even Han Solo comments on what a stupid idea it is. Gigantism is not the same as technological advancement. Witness the Great Wall of China, and the Pyramids. Both were failures too.

10,000 years between these two inventions.

A lot of the work had already been done before when the Death Stars were being developed so they just copied and expanded on those.

Also technology improved in the years between and made it easier.

I'm sure if indigenous populations needed a siege weapon they'd have made a ballista before a catapult.

>>yfw when Leia is a Sith lord and plays the role Palpatine did in the prequels
>>yfw First Order is the good guys
>>yfw Rey becomes Leia's disciple and basically Vader 2.0

You know that's not such a bad idea. I've heard better though.

You're not supposed to question JJ Abrams's brilliant directing, and writing as his brilliancy weaves simplistic characters that say little, and visual aesthetics that tell the story.

>sarcasm off
>he is director of poison
>anything his directing hands touch turns to bland shit you can't care about
>please Hollywood, in all of your Jewish wisdom, stop hiring this hack to fuck shit up.

>post yfw Mon Mothma is actually Snoke

RE: Technology advanced in the Star Wars universe between Episodes IV and VII

Very, very, very little if at all.

Technological progression in Star Wars is extremely slow. There is little difference in the technology of the Old Republic of 10,000 years ago compared to the time of Luke Skywalker.

>somehow they rebuild starkiller
>gets blown up again
BRAVO JJ

you fucking asshole

You were doing so well until you wrote this.

Pro-tip: The internet has been around a lot longer than you think it has.

You can't use science to justify shit story decisions when there is the force

also saved

30 years is still too low. It's closer to 50.

>Witness the Great Wall of China, and the Pyramids. Both were failures too.
what?

I still like the old Bantam Spectra continuity where the Death Stars' superlaser were designed by a blue-skinned QT named Qwi Xux who didn't even know they were going to be used as weapons. She thought they were instruments of peace used for mining. She was also highly autistic.

The whole Death Star backstory in the Kevin J Anderson novels is superior. Basically it says the Empire had a secret Area 51 style based in the middle of a bunch of black holes called the Maw Installation. It was next to impossible to get there without knowing the exact route, but Kyp Durron (Luke Skywalker's first apprentice) used the force to get Han Solo and Chewbacca in there when they were escaping from some bad guys.

When they get there they discover the old Imperial installation that doesn't even know the Empire has fallen and there's a huge Death Star Prototype floating in space.

Rakatan technology.

a lot more interesting desu

Because writing a big mcguffinstar is a lot easier than writing a good story for Jew Jew (((Abrams))).

The architect for the Death Star (not the superlaser designer) was a guy named Bevel Lemilisk who was a brilliant engineer, but even he couldn't keep up with the complexity needed to design such a massive project.

So he got behind schedule.

So the Emperor had him executed. Except not really because he used the force to place his "soul" back into a clone body and told him to get back to work.

Every time he'd get behind schedule Palpatine would have him executed in one more gruesome and excruciating method after another to motivate him to work harder.

they could have just slapped this into a script and nobody would have cared or noticed. and it would have been a better film.

The Force is great when it's plot armor. We saw that used quite literally in Rogue One - it's good when it changes the luck in the heroes favor. All the impossible things that just so happened to not kill them is always because of the Force. Characters not getting shot by what should be competent enemies is a major trope in movies, but atleast in Star Wars it's part of the plot.

But what we saw in Episode 7 is "the force" used to justify a Mary Sue. All those "Calling Rey a Mary Sue is sexist!" articles that came out after 7, comparing her to Luke, is just dead wrong. When we look at Luke in Episode 4 all he does is basically never really learn to use a Light Saber, and flies a space craft (he is already a pilot) and makes an impossible shot - but only after a force ghost tells him to trust in the force and believe in space magic

Meanwhile Rey in Episode 7 basically becomes a mememaster with the Force, something she didn't know existed literally 24 hours before hand, reverse mind rapes a Sith apprentice, does the most powerful form of Jedi Mind Trick we've seen to date, manages to out Force Pull Kylo for the light saber... And then beats a dude trained in lightsaber combat in a duel when the only hand to hand combat we've seen her engage in during the movie was with a bo staff (TWO DIFFERENT WEAPONS) - and people say this is okay because "Lol it's the force so whatever!" no it's just shitty writing.

Episode 7 is a clusterfuck of a movie in many ways. I think Rogue One showed us, if nothing else, we can have a female lead who doesn't have to make a statement about how women are the best fucking shit ever and we don't appreciate them enough.

DUDE A BIGGER DEATH STAR LMAO

everyone tells me the EU is shit, but these stories seem pretty cool.

What the fuck are you talking about? I was 13 in 2001 and I had my own personal PC in my bedroom with Internet access. I was playing games like Red Alert 2 on the Internet at that time.

The internet has been around for decades, and the consumer Internet has been around since the early 1990s.

I think a big reason TFA gets hate that has nothing to do with the actual movie is that it was made by Disney.

The Disney buyout of Lucasfilm and their immediate decision to start making SW films as fast as possible just comes off as very cold business to a lot of people. People had made up their mind, before TFA came out, that Disney SW movies are just product and not movies.

When the comparison to A New Hope started being made after TFA came out, people got very negative, especially with the idea Disney's motive was just to make product that appealed to the long-term fans who knew REAL SW was Ep 4-6. Nostalgia money. Hating The Force Awakens was the result of that.

A lot of the "repetitive" stuff is a meta-commentary on the nature of Star Wars itself to appear to appeal to fan demand while actually deconstructing it at the same time. I don't know how people miss this, Kylo Ren is not a subtle character and the First Order is clearly meant to be a subject of mockery.

From the opening shot until the last frame, TFA was a great movie. One I can watch again and again.
Why?
Good characters.
Good relationships.
Excellent visual effects.
Fantastic sound design.
Practical sets.
Characters who I actually want to see again.
A universe which I would want to visit again.

At its best it's the best Star Wars stories you'll ever experience. It really captures that wide open lived in galaxy feel. But sometimes it can be really bad too, especially when you get into the video games and tabletop stuff.

Just stick to the Bantam Spectra novels and you'll be ok. Disregard the New Jedi Order.