I started watching Kurosawa's work. Only watched Seven Samurai and Rashomon so far. Liked Rashomon a little bit better

I started watching Kurosawa's work. Only watched Seven Samurai and Rashomon so far. Liked Rashomon a little bit better.

What do i watch next?

Liked Toshiro Mifune watch Yojimbo
Liked Takashi Shimura(bald samurai) watch Ikiru

RAN

This

>Takashi Shimura

imho greatest japanese actor or greatest actor of all time.

Thank you, guys.

Sanjuro was the shit but you need to watch Yojimbo first. It's the same character. Could watch those everyday

Yojimbo was fun
Ikiru was depressing and probably his best
High & Low was incredible if you want something slightly more modern (ie not samurai)

Kagemusha
Stray Dog
Ikiru

I thought Seven Samurai was a bit overrated

High and Low is a masterpiece, seconded that.

It was nice seeing Mifune in another kind of role.

Kagemusha is so damn good

Ran, it's his best film.

I think Throne of Blood and Ran are his best films. Probably because both are Shakespeare adaptations.

Watching Ikiru is best when youre in late 20s. Makes you appreciate and think about your life.

If you liked Mifune but also liked Rashomon better, Drunken Angel might be a good choice.

Ran and Ikiru are also good choices.

Kurosawa power rankings?

1. Rashomon
2. Seven Samurai
3. Kagemusha
4. Ran
5. Throne of Blood
6. Yojimbo
7. Dersu Uzala
8. Akahige
9. Bad sleep well
10. Stray dogs

worst list I've ever seen

You forgot Ikiru and High and Low.

Those would have been 11 and 13 with Drunken Angel between them.

Pleb

my personal ranking (anything not listed, i haven't seen yet)

MASTERPIECE TIER
1. Ran
2. High and Low
3. Throne of Blood
4. Rashomon

GREAT TIER
5. Stray Dog
6. Kagemusha
7. The Bad Sleep Well

GOOD TIER
8. Seven Samurai
9. Dreams
10. Sanjuro
11. Yojimbo

OK
12. Drunken Angel

watch this at the end

>Liked Rashomon a little bit better.
Well, that's your point of view. Someone else might have a different take on that movie.

Everything he did after Ran is inconsequential IMHO. Weaker than Dodesukaden even.

Dreams is a nice epilogue to his career though

and but honestly I'd love to read a defense of Rhapsody in August or Madadayo

You're on Sup Forums user, I'm sure a contrarian fag will pop up sooner or later to tell us about how they are better than Rashomon or Yojimbo to get dem (You)s. For all the posturing, we are reddit with a higher tolerance to extremist ideologies and insults, we just take a different route. In the end upboats and (You)s are the same thing.

High and Low is number one.

Only thing I didn't like about High and Low was the culprit's motivation for his crimes. Seemed a bit shallow desu, from a characterization standpoint.

Ran and Dreams

Where is Dersu Uzala? It got me started on Kurosawa, and is still one of my favs by him

oh, easily. Shimura was a goddamn master of his craft.