Wtf was so special about this ring...

Wtf was so special about this ring? Everyone always thought it was so powerful but all it did was make you invisible and prolong your life. Also, the invisibility wasn't even that useful if it transported you to a different plane of existence and you can't even see where the fuck you're going. So what was so special about this ring that everyone wanted it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_e8x7wBii4M
youtube.com/watch?v=qullWVe6gQg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck is Google

Only Men (and hobbits) became invisible. Someone truly powerful, like Gandalf, the High Elves, and Sauronman could use it to amplify their own powers with Sauron's power inside the ring.

it wasn't meant to be used by plebs

sauron made it to control the other rings of power. remember the prologue scene? the three elven rings, the seven dwarven rings and the nine human rings? sauron created the one ring to control the rest.

Get's said in every fucking thread, OP. Please stop making them, or spend five seconds using Google.

If Sauron obtained it, he recovers a strong power greater than the ishtari, a power that no one in middle earth could fight back annymore

Hi, OP. I'm going to bring back a little acronym we used in the olden days of the internet. It's RTFM. It stands for Read The Fucking Manual.

In your case, that's going to be the original "Lord of the Rings" trilogy which consists of
1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Two Towers
3. The Return of the King

You won't regret it. It's wintertime now, so it's the perfect time for getting into a cozy sofa or armchair with a steaming mug of coffee or cider or tea or hot fucking chocolate and reading the most recent addition to the Western Canon.

This question belongs on /lit/ if anywhere. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you really want an answer to your question, you'll crack the book. It really is SO fine. It really is such a good experience.

this is all naively assuming that you're not a troll.
THAT SAID
-It housed like 5/6ths of Sauron's life/power/will/qi
->"everyone thought it was "sooooo powerfull" but all it did was make you invisib-
You don't think that making someone FUCKING INVISIBLE AND PROLONGING THEIR LIFE IS POWERFUL WFTWTF IS WRONG WITH YOU RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
-Oh shit, sorry, the ring was powerful enough to TRANSPORT YOU TO ANOTHER FUCKING PLANE OF EXISTENCE but it wasn't powerful enough to...what, fucking cook eggs? Do you even realize what you're asking? did you give any thought to this at all?

fucking kill yourself. saged, reported, called the police. fuck you

Read the Silmarillion you pillock. Or watch this.
youtube.com/watch?v=_e8x7wBii4M

a guy literally just cut it off his finger with a sword
a normal non-magical guy

dose pronunciations tho

even the full tolkien nerds can't come up with a consistent explanation on what exactly the ring actually does. usually they just write stuff about amplifying innate powers and corrupting them, like that is some sort of explanation, but all that does is lead to more questions about what their innate powers are. just think about gandalf, what exactly are his powers? the books don't go into any real detail on what he can do.

Haha
Upvoted!

none of those details actually matter

>create a character
>make him a wizard
>he uses magic like two times in the books

bravo tolkien

>implying im going to read the whole trilogy for that 1 stupid answer

>implying i even read your whole post

>claire.jpg (2 KB, 78x97)

opinion discarded

don't bother with the books, if you watched the movies you got the Good Enough version of the books. i read them when i was a teen and i never understood the obsession people had with them, they're so dry.

You can't even res a .jpg correctly.

You don't belong here.

You should go now.

Why did all the races accept their rings like it was nothing? Didn't they suspect something was up?

>the evil lord sauron sent this shit for you senpai
>oh ok thx

>dry

well, they're better than you are, so...

he disguised himself and tricked them

it's stupid

2kb photos of claire should be illegal tbqhfamalam

>lotr thread
time to get comfy

youtube.com/watch?v=qullWVe6gQg

i think would be more your speed

i do not watch anime or read comics please try again

>all it did was make you invisible and prolong your life

you probably should if you're looking for badass fantasy magic action

That sword was the most powerful sword in all of creation, that was the nuke of swords.

>I do not watch or read anything worthwhile

more like

>comics
>worthwhile

>reading through 3 fucking NYC phonebooks

No thanks

Don't they have that sword again though?

then just watch the movies. the ring was important and powerful.

Don't know if you're OP, but if you really want a good answer to your questions read the book. If not, then just know that the ring was powerful and made you lust for it.

who is google anyway?

I could name you three or four really good comics off the top of my head that I think you would like, if you really gave it a chance.

It's a different medium (read: art form), so you can't approach it like a movie. But if you go in with some baseline expectation, I think you could enjoy some comics.

comics are for children i am not interested

so is lord of the rings, and the hobbit which is a literal children's book

lotr and the hobbit are bad books tho

So is ice cream, cold cereals, snowmen, sledding, the Sunday morning newspaper comic section, hot chocolate, roller coasters, taffy the circus, etc.

You can enjoy "things for children" no matter what age you are, user. Where in the Rulebook does it say different....?

Batman: Death by Design. chekit my nigga

actually thats the main principle of magic in LOTR universe. It's not degraded to fireballs and remote maiming as it is in Harry Potter universe. It remains magic in a broader sense, something you cannot explain or grasp on. Magic of Sauron/Gandalf/Elrond is designed to reinforce the morale and perseverance of those who follow them, to encapsulate and transform the notion of "good" or "evil" into the clashing of peoples and kingdoms. In my opinion that is by far richer and insightful representation of magic than found in almost any other fantasy book.

that doesn't really make sense considering, from what i remember, the wizards are so powerful they can like completely destroy middle earth if they wanted to

>guides the fellowship to success and individually turned the tide of numerous critical battles
>kills literally hundreds of orcs/goblins
>kills a 30 foot tall demon that is roughly on par with sauron in terms of strength and ability with a sword and staff
>gets sent back to middle earth by the gods after killing said demon
>can talk to animals and get giant eagles to give him a ride
>wtf why isn't he shooting fireballs and lightning bolts from his hands! what kind of gay ass wizard is this?

what kind of magic did you really expect?

the balrog is not as strong as sauron, it is basically the same class as gandalf, just +strength instead of +magic.

dont really recall that. As far as I remember, the most powerful wizards were maia, who were included in a strict hierarchy of divine creatures and would not act without some pat on the back from higher gods

Seconded. The Balrogs were basically Morgoth's equivalent of the Maia in terms of how far down the tree they were from the primary deities

they're all maiar and roughly equal in terms of individual strength and power. what gives sauron the edge is the ring, dark magic he learned from melkor, and thousands of orcs/goblins/trolls at his disposal. sauron wasn't even the most powerful of melkors disciples, just the only one left standing at the end of the war.

Did you miss the part of the first movie where saruman summons lightning bolts and gales to blow them off a mountain? By the time LOTR is happening they've lost a lot of their individual power,

Holy shit, an actual post by a person that has only heard of the Lord of the Rings and has never actually seen any of the movies or read any of the books
Fascinating. What's it like being an uncultured moron, OP?

I love how one of these guys always cross dresses in every sketch

What the hell happened to Brendan Fraser

The balrogs are literally just maiar that sided with Melkor. Gothmog was far more powerful than Sauron and was killed by an elvish king ramming him off a cliff with a pointy helmet. Yeah they have godlike power compared to a human, but Sauron and most of Melkors minions died to mortals. Individually Gandalf is not as powerful as Sauron, but they are roughly in the same tier.

Sauron kinda needs to to not be a bitch. For some reason he didn't think through the "pouring my soul into a ring" thing too great.

Really what were the odds someone would know to chop it off?

So what did the dwarf rings do? The rings of men turned them into wraiths, the elven rings were never used because they weren't retards, but what about the seven rings for the dwarven lords?

Made them greedy. Dwarves didn't seem to be affected by Sauron's power, but the rings caused them to be so obsessed with gold that they became rich and shut themselves away in their mountains, where they wouldn't be a threat to Sauron.

Not the movie. Not the book.

By my understanding, the dwarven lords weren't corruptible like men were. Inherent toughness, stubbornness, what have you... but it did influence their lust for riches, which either led to their downfall or otherwise kept them out of Sauron's way.

What if the power of the ring is just an illusion. Maybe the reason Tom Bombadil doesn't get affected is because he can see through the illusion.

No, Tom can't be affected because nothing has power over him within his domain.

Why read lotr, even /lit/ thinks its a shit book. If you're going to read pick a better author.

It gave them the economic knowledge to use all their gold and invest it wisely in order to obtain power over the world banks, the media and the film industry.

No that would be accurate to dwarves if the Jews got all the gold then just hoarded it, leaving the world alone so they could be with their gold. Like a race of Scrooge McDucks with mountains instead of money bins.

This.

I tried to google for what powers the other rings possess and it all seems like broad things like "it makes you live longer"

>Adhominem
Typical nerds

not an argument

>pointing out logical fallacies as if to improve to content of the discussion
>on Sup Forums

Are you OK m8? You do realise where you are, right?

Also:

>ad hominem

A movie should be able to stand on its own. If it requires having to read a book to understand it, then it has failed as a movie.

How is a sword powerful?

What it's really sharp?

Tolkien is a hack,

it's magic

The movies don't require the books for understanding unless you're a retard. Are we still talking about the ring? It's power should have been apparent when even Frodo couldn't throw it into the fire and decided to keep it.

So it's magically sharp?

We aren't in the 1600s anymore. Modern jews don't hoard their money becaise their schemes are now global and they know that their money is just changing places but is never far from reach. Moving money generates more wealth especially if you control the system

Praise the ring goys!

>It's power should have been apparent
Okay, so what was its power?

What exactly were Gandalfs powers? I feel like they were relatively vague

1. Talk to animals
2. Telekenises?
3. Can fight the Balrog which is like a lesser god right?

What else?

What would happen if eagles wear the ring?

Edit: Thanks for the Gold!

oh my bad :^)

Also:

>mate

>control weather
>make light
>create a big energy shield that stops balrog chop
>passively summon moths
>launch fireworks at will

they would become invisible

oh and live longer.

It had elf magic imbued inside it.

it can cut the bad guys finger off. we presume other swords cant do that.

It took hold of it's bearer's mind and corrupted them. It becomes the most dear thing in the world to you. That's the power I was specifically talking about, all of it's other effects have also been posted.

Remember both Gandalf and Galadriel were afraid at the idea of Frodo giving it to them. Gandalf refused to even touch it. Although I think he does pick it up in the book once.

>control weather

I thought he all but admitted that he couldn't control the weather in AUJ, when that one faggy dwarf asks him to stop the rain.

That's true. I was thinking of the time he summoned a lightning bolt to imbue his sword and stab the Balrog. Could have just been luck.

you mean tom can't be affected because he's eru iluvatar

If the one ring could control the others, why did Frodo never control the ring wraiths and make them fly him to mordor?

Because the one ring answers to only one master.

Nazguls are fucking taxis.

Considering they're Maiar too, and bitchy ones at that? And that they brought down Ancalagon together with Earendil?
Man, I wouldn't want to see that.

There is only one lord of the ring, and he does not share power.

I feel like lotr is sanctuary amongst all the shit on Sup Forums

He wasn't evil back then.

He was always evil

Tolkien threads are the only good thing left on this godforsaken place.

Why couldn't they just fly the eagles to mount doom?

>Everyone always thought it was so powerful but all it did was make you invisible and prolong your life.

It had different powers for different races. A lot of the lower races would only become invisible, as I guess that was the most "powerful" an individual thought they could become.

Individuals with true power would basically become gods with the ring.

>that was the nuke of swords
Topkek

Would have been shot down by the giant eye laser or nazguls.

LotR was written by a devout Christian, nothing is always evil, there is always hope for redemption. Sauron was repentant for a while then became evil again when the Valar asked him to come to Valinor to be judged for his deeds under Morgoth.

The ring was a fucking metaphor for power you god damn retard. It's not a Harry Potter tier mystical artifact that shoots fucking lightning. It holds a few literal magical properties but only for the sake of the narrative/plot conveniences. What it does to those who wear it is much more important thematically, than whatever literal magical properties the ring posses. Seriously dude you need to read more if you can't understand basic metaphors or symbolism in a narrative. Also this has to be a troll thread cause this shit gets posted like 3 times a day along with that stupid fucking why didn't they just ride the Eagles meme.