/dsg/ - Dungeon synth general

Can we get a late night DS thread going? I just ordered a Witch King of Angmar longsleeve shirt for my birthday courtesy of my Mom and I couldn't be happier.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eKguSG6XAG8
youtube.com/watch?v=X4LHlproqvc&t=12s
youtube.com/watch?v=qrxx_YCSCDU
youtube.com/watch?v=oFKXX1S2rfc
youtube.com/watch?v=-NfRBZc9IaY
youtube.com/watch?v=RC3i3okWsB8
youtube.com/watch?v=GLuKjEAKFTk
youtube.com/watch?v=13mZLPcqHUo
youtube.com/watch?v=D2BUwCDhlfo
youtube.com/watch?v=U4vo512LgVs
youtube.com/watch?v=y0u_Yu_GX_M
youtube.com/watch?v=ygRu2aExaQk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcYi8-0HUU
youtube.com/watch?v=jxDCwTX9j04
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you have a pic of the shirt?

I have a Burzum Hliðskjálf shirt, it's my only DS merch. No one has ever approached me to talk about Dungeon synth yet which is nice.

Front.

Back.

Looks pretty sweet, I'll em out. Long sleeve shirts are always comfy.

Anyways, I've been listening to Dra Sad a lot recently. It really reminds me of Mortiis.

It's crazy, Elffor released Into the Dark Forest in 1995 which is a classic, and he can still release a quality ds album today. I feel like not a lot of modern dungeon synth artists are also originally from the first wave.

Hey cheers. I'm not super deep into the genre (for instance the only Burzum albums I've listened to are Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) but I have heard a lot of recent shit released on Bandcamp. I think my favourite DS album has to be Fief II. I listen to a lot of other music too tho.

inb4 lazy trend-hopping poseur genre tourists vs pretentious paranoid faux-elitist wannabe gatekeepers

do you know more albums that are 50% bm and 50% ds?

Bump.

What's Dungeon Synth? I really like early Summoning, and I'm guessing that's close, so any recs?

Any Dungeon Synth producers here?
I've recently started to learn to learn producing and I'm aiming towards making a DS album. Wondering what VST's you guys use or if you have any general tips to find that good sound you want

Someone already mentioned it in this thread, but Fief II really is fantastic, I and III are nice as well.
Some other names you might want to look up:

Hedge Wizard
Utred
Vindkaldr
Old Tower
Mirkwood (Early Summoning)
Depressive Silence
Forgotten Pathways
Fjelltrone

Sweeeeet, I'm excited to dig into this. I'll get back to you later today if this thread is still alive.

Elffor is god

Keeping the thread alive

youtube.com/watch?v=eKguSG6XAG8

This is some special fucking shit, but I love it.

One of the sweetest underground genres out there user. Be careful about exploring new stuff by yourself. There is A LOT of bad material and you can easily get disappointed with the genre if you don't get used to the sound first.

Try one of the essential charts. They're actually useful, unlike most genre-charts.

Bump

I feel like 5 people are disappointed in a lot of modern DS and literally everyone else is vibing with it

If this released today it would probably be shunned

I was thinking that about Erdstall desu. Like if it wasn’t an established classic I feel like people would be calling Quest of Sorrow “low effort”

It’s so good though. Imagine if Xynfonica came out today, holy shit

What do you consider bad

There is some parts of this scene that some people don't like. And that is OK. Imagine if your entire identity is built on gloomy and obscure dark dungeon music and mall cop dungeon synth and somebody makes a track on a water trumpet or mixes his tunes with power electronics... would not that just rip your well groomed identity apart? It is ok not to like all these "experimental" acts and all those projects not based on high fantasy or deep dark mossy John Bauer.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic but yeah I see dungeon noise pointed to a lot as being “bad” which I guess in many ways it is, although Ranseur and Alder Deep are certainly good

Summoning is black metal, check out the bands Minas Morgul, Rivendell, and Mirkwood for similar LOTR black metal. Dungeon synth is closely associated with black metal, all the interludes and intros on Summoning albums could count. What did you think of the new album?

I do like it. But I see no need for others to like it. I can understand why some don't like that it is categorized as Dungeon Synth. I like both tracker based dungeon synth with clean orchestral sounding virtual synths and music made live with synth sounds not trying to imitate real expensive classic instruments. I like well composed Dungeon Synth like Nahadoth and I like easy but diverse melodies like Ranseur. I like total experimentation like Einhorn and Alder Deep. I love Mortiis and care for Neptune Towers. I did not enjoy Roman Master but I was thrilled to hear The Green Goblet compilation.

Is there any good 2018 shit yet? Pic related was meh.

I actually really like Roman Master

New Thangorodrim was okay I guess, new Mausolei is rad as fuck

I'm ()

Maybe I'm not kvlt enough, but there are releases that are either:
1) Lazily looped and interesting only for the first minute.
2) Badly composed.

With these two criteria I mean that the music doesn't achieve either of the things I look for in DS: atmospheric, escapist music; or interesting compositions reinforced by the aesthetic.

I saw a Halloween-themed album (don't remember the name) that I was excited about (I love love love Halloween). The album neared an hour in length and the first loop repeated for over 25 minutes without literally any changes at all. If it had been something interesting like Burzum's Rundang Um Die (....), you bet your ass I would've enjoyed the record. But it was just some lazily midi strokes with reverb.

I've liked it, did you check out the bm one?

how am i supposed to know what that pic related is? reverse image search did nothing for me. would be nice to include a name

i know nothing about dungeon synth but am keen to get into it.

any recommendations?

Witches Moon

>Is there any good 2018 shit yet?
youtube.com/watch?v=X4LHlproqvc&t=12s

start by reading the thread mate, there are plenty of recommendations posted

25 minutes without changes, holy cow. Gross. Me and my amigos made a Halloween album but yeah nothing like that.
It’s witches moon
In the future just check the bandcamp tag under recent or best sellers and usually all the new albums we discuss are in the first couple pages

Just do bandcamp or rym or any of the other obvious things. There’s also a forum that has some good charts if you’re that lazy

It's a pretty fun genre to get into and discover your own personal favorites.

Plus it’s really diversified in a healthy way so there’s something for everyone

Good shit.

All his different projects are so good. In my top 5 DS guys for sure

I'm sorry but you're gonna have to tell me about this guy you're speaking of because I bought the album based solely on the cover art.

Oh well do you know Abandoned Places and Erdstall? They’re all the same guy as far as I know. We’re not sure who he is exactly but we can more or less tell which projects he’s behind

And it looks cool

I need to revisit that discography

I really like vsco2 vst. It's free and the samples are legit.

my two favorites:
youtube.com/watch?v=qrxx_YCSCDU
youtube.com/watch?v=oFKXX1S2rfc

Any thoughts on Wojnar?

It's nice that he uses a few different instruments and has lots of folk melodies. I listen to his stuff a lot when I'm playing dungeon crawlers or other medieval RPG's . It fits the atmosphere really well, although some of his albums can drag on for a while.

This sounds like something Madlib would sample.

Not too deep into the genre, but can I get some darker recs? Everything I've heard just sounds like a LARPers wet dream.

filosofem isnt exactly 50/50 but has both

>Everything I've heard just sounds like a LARPers wet dream

I mean, that's kinda the point. But try Temple Forest, one of the best in the genre imo.

youtube.com/watch?v=-NfRBZc9IaY

youtube.com/watch?v=RC3i3okWsB8

youtube.com/watch?v=GLuKjEAKFTk

youtube.com/watch?v=13mZLPcqHUo

youtube.com/watch?v=D2BUwCDhlfo

youtube.com/watch?v=U4vo512LgVs

youtube.com/watch?v=y0u_Yu_GX_M

youtube.com/watch?v=ygRu2aExaQk

>Me and my amigos made a Halloween album
Name? Would to give that a listen.

It's amazing how well Rungang Um Die fits so well into that album, considering the pace of the album and the length of the track.

I’m hoping this isn’t actually the one you were talking about haha, mad people hated it (pic related, I can provide a link if you want) but yeah there was no looping here, just three guys playing live. Any technical imperfections come from it being mostly improvised and us not having a lot of time together to record. But we did our best, and this is just a side project for us three anyway

Temple Forest pisses me off a little now that I know the backstory

If you don’t think wearing cloaks in the woods is fun then you truly will not get/enjoy DS

What backstory? Is it that Hate Forest is NSBM?

No I love nsbm, what pisses me off is that Hate Forest p much stole the album. It was recorded all by Arthur, who was the bassist of Hate Forest briefly. He left the band but they took his music and published it and now everyone thinks Roman made it but he didn’t

Worse yet, Arthur didn’t know until years later that it happened, from what I gather

Oh shit, I didn't know that. That's a pretty scummy thing to do, but I'm happy that they did release it I guess. I'd be a shame to shelf an album like that.

Yeah it sounds great, and Arthur has his own solo stuff (literally just released under “Arthur”) and I hear he has a new compilation coming out
A bit of a diversity of sounds from this guy so don’t expect Temple Forest pt2
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcYi8-0HUU

I’m surprised at the legal/copyright troubles some of these dudes had...Mortiis evidently got fucked over a lot

Bumping with my tattoo that I haven’t posted recently

I hate this album. I downloaded it and put it onto my iPod before listening to it, and it's just so boring.

It’s just slow. Leans more towards ambient

Indeed. Give me that real shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=jxDCwTX9j04

Haven’t heard this, kool