Music predictions for 2018

ITT: Predict things that will happen in music in 2018

>Brockhampton will drop their worst album yet but people will hype the shit out of it and it will be placed at #4 on the RYM chart right behind another live album with 36 ratings thats 2 hours long and probably by some washed up prog rock band

>M83's album will actually be a let-down and despite the massive amount of attention it will get here people will come to hate it. It will get a 3.35 on RYM

>Kanye will not drop an album but rather a short mixtape that is influenced by Trap and is not as good as anything he has released this decade.

>Trap rap will get worse and worse before it becomes a massive joke following the second Lil Pump album. Lil Peep will posthumously have something come out and its score will get bumped higher than usual.

>It won't be a very good year for music in general

Other urls found in this thread:

nme.com/news/music/courney-barnett-gives-update-on-new-album-2166523#sOOFEJcjj0th3zeO.99
nme.com/news/music/courtney-barnett-37-1199035#Jkt6xpg5QTtI17VT.99
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Oasis will reunite

>before it becomes a massive joke
>before

I would unironically not be very excited for that. I really don't think anything worthwhile would come out of it at all. I'd rather see Pavement reunite and release an album.

Tool album gets announced as “almost done”

>anamanaguchi will release [USA] and I'll spend most of 2018 listening to that over and over again while ignoring most of the music that people consider good or important or whatever

Kendrick will release DAMN. B-sides that will surpass the precedessor by miles.

shoegaze will finally be cool

a member of mr bungle dies

>b-burial will release a n-new album

Avril Lavigne will have her comeback

Melon will give the new Car Seat Head-rest a 9/10

monto what happened with the suicide pact are we both emptying our brains into the bathtub

QUADS OF TRUTH

I'd enjoy that

Brian Wilson will die on the Fourth of July

>it'll be filled with shitty ambient

Beach House and iceage will release their new albums on the same day in June

new Julia Holter
new Beach House
Sufjan Stevens comes out as gay, releases a series of sextapes
another Arca mixtape

and hopefully a new album from Mariee Sioux

He'll be fine

Montie kills himself

Pitchfork gives lil pump a 8.7

This will be AOTY and critically lauded but will be the biggest laughing stock of Sup Forums

> grimes releases new album alongside Broadway reinterpretation of Peter Pan
> he's the only actor
> wins Tony for best actor/actress as Peter Pan and Tinkerbell

Why does Sup Forums have a vendetta against Brockhampton, they have become so hipster they hate the hipsters

Sup Forums just hates it when people enjoy something, you can see this trend over the entire site honestly.

nice digits man

I was on Sup Forums linking to the old Kevin Abstract/Matt Champion/Romil streams they had before they got big.

The Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River covers, pre-1987 Kevin, and even then Sup Forums hated the fuck out of them.

Posted the Drugs video, all of Kevin's shit leading up to BH's first few releases and continued to get shitted on.

Sup Forums is just a place where people who hate themselves but happen to listen to music come to interact with people.

Yeah, I guess you're not wrong. I mostly come here to get recommendations honestly. I also like some memes people post. But besides that I see no point in calling other musicians shit or just insulting people tastes'.

the memes, the 50/50 between Kanye hate and worship, and overall laissez-faire, self-destructive, loathsome narcissism of the community is what keeps me coming back.

It doesn't sound ANY different from any other mainstream boring rap collective

Have a Nice Life will release more material or atleast announce new material soon

dear tommy finally drops
it's shit

The new MGMT album will be pretty good but heavily overrated

Danny Brown drops a surprise album that gets a decent amount of critical praise

Pusha T releases a single to King Push but doesn't drop the album

Preoccupations release a new album that becomes a cult classic in a few years

The Twin Fantasy reissue is critically acclaimed and launches Will Toledo to further success

Michael Gira teases the newest iteration of Swans

Elaborate, give examples of what groups does Brockhampton sound like.

Odd Future and related projects. Black Hippy. The only difference is the mood. If I turned on the radio it would sound like what Brockhampton makes.

I fucking love Oasis but I can't see a reality where reuniting would be a good thing for the band in general.

Nine inch nails will become the most discussed band of the year in my opinion based upon the simple fact that Pitchfork ran an thing on it recently and people are really depressed in the current era. Truly the Downward Spiral is an important peice of music

this user sees the fucking future

please bruh

I'm actually really interested in this

>hipsters
jesus christ can we leave this word in 2010 at the very latest please? even if it still meant what you think it means, Brockhampton isn't lel so obscure. Conde fucking Nast owns Pitchfork, Fantano is only followed by normies. There is nothing hip or obscure about it unless you think obscure means "not on Top 40 radio."

Fucking hell you're cynical

My prediction : Danny Brown AOTY

His recent output has the most boring format IMO.

CupcaKKe will release an album that gets 10 from P4K

>Lil Pump releases a conscious song talking about how he's misunderstood and he feels like he's just playing a character now
>Pitchfork gives it BNM

Nothing will come of the Shields/Eno Collin and he new MBV will be more middling retro-beat driven rock

RYM is irrelevant trash that pretentious wankers like yourself use. Comment disregarded.

what you mean

jaden smith will be the biggest meme rapper in 2018

>Michael Gira teases the newest iteration of Swans
He already confirmed that new music will be played live next month.

>Trap continues to evolve and develop despite everyone constantly predicting its failure
>Clairo inspires a new generation of bedroom musicians, some great, some okay, and most downright awful
>Chiptune makes a comeback, and this time it's actually good and made by talented people and not fedoralords

Two Death Grips albums in the fall. The first is mediocre and gets heavily shilled all over the internet, and the second is universally considered garbage.

I think the next Titus Andronicus will suck :(

The Best in New York single is dog shit and I don't think the rest of the songs will be great, but I'm definitely open to being wrong.

Mark Kozelek is releasing 3 fucking albums this year and I'm hoping that at least one of them is great. The Yellow Kitchen collaboration was utterly bizarre but I enjoyed it well enough. Common As Light was awesome, I dug his solo releases from 2017, the Jesu album was okay so I'm guessing the 2018 Jesu collab will be okay as well. I still haven't heard that album he did with the Dirty Three's Drummer though...Mark is unstoppable.

CupcakKe will get Pitchfork AotY
The 80s revival meme will start to die and we'll see the beginning of 90s revivalism
YouTubecore "palewave" will be the meme genre of the year
There'll be a Japanese artist who makes City Pop meets Synthwave and it'll be extremely popular on Sup Forums

Courtney Barnett's new album will feature lyrics heavily influenced by politics, will get mixed reviews and it will be the first time the mainstream press admits whining about Trump is getting trite and overplayed.

agreed, that or Girlpool or any female-fronted band
Agree with all the rest but
>YouTubecore "palewave" will be the meme genre of the year
wots that? examples?

dude we're, like, solidly 5 years into 90s revivalism

Boy Pablo and stuff like that
Like indie chillwave

Neo-80s meme is still far more popular, I mean we'll see some more mainstream artists

>Boy Pablo
Oh I see. Totally. I said something similar

>another old french songwriter will die, leading to a one week mania for granny pop
EZ

please god fucking no

iceage release AOTY

there's gonna be a breakout synth-punk band

Janelle Monae drops the ball, like hilariously hard

>a breakout synth-punk band
gotta keep that dream alive, Rhys

Grimes will release the album of the decade

>Kanye will not drop an album but rather a short mixtape that is influenced by Trap and is not as good as anything he has released this decade.
if Kanye could make more tracks that are as good as Blood on the Leaves I'd be excited

Sufjan comes out as gay for Arca

Ummm she's Australian tho? P sure the most political thing she's been vocal about is australia making gay marriage legal, which makes sense because she's lesbian

i unironically believe we gonna see alot of white rappers in 2018

Neutral Milk Hotel will do a 20th anniversary remaster/reissue/tour of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. Maybe a small tease for new material, and there may be a collection of demos and shit for the 20th anniversary, but it'll be awhile til we get something actually new. I predict a new album of unreleased tracks and shit either next year or 2020.

>Amon Tobin releases new album, or at least teases new tracks
>Another trash rapper dies of self-inflicted causes (drugs or a completely avoidable accident) and people will again pretend they're fucking god incarnate
>Wildflower remix EP is teased / released
>Surprise release of album / single by Pendulum after not having released anything since 2010

The change in lyrics and her being an Australian are precisely the reason it will get penned in some places.

>I’ve been writing on piano a lot. It’s darker and more melancholy, probably as a reflection on politics.
nme.com/news/music/courney-barnett-gives-update-on-new-album-2166523#sOOFEJcjj0th3zeO.99

>Barnett said she tries “to be a pessimistic optimist” about politics and that most of her new songs are “half-written”. Barnett said: “I’m really bad at decision making. For me, finishing a song takes so much more effort than starting one. I’ve got some good half-songs for the next record, and maybe they’ll turn into great full songs.”
nme.com/news/music/courtney-barnett-37-1199035#Jkt6xpg5QTtI17VT.99

Grimes will release an album, board is impossible to use for a month
Kanye releases a mixtape and it's pretty bad but it has one great track
A mediocre post-punk revivalist group will put out an album that people pretend is as good as the stuff from the 70s like how they did with Relatives In Descent
CupcakKe releases another album, it gets a 9.0 BNM for "dismantling slut shaming in Trump's America"
Someone announces a City Pop themed TV show
Some weeaboo bandcamp artist becomes a forced meme
Some white dude makes an avant-folk album, Sup Forums loves it but the mainstream music media mostly ignores it and gives it 6.0s
A black woman releases an album of modern classical music, it gets BNM and is praised for "following in the footsteps of Julius Eastman"
Lingua Ignota gets a 8.0 BNM from P4K
A bunch of mediocre jazz gets praised on Sup Forums because it shows up in their avant-jazz spotify recommendations
Some quirky Japanese album from the 70s becomes extremely popular out of nowhere
Ironic bedroom pop/folk trend among college students
Some trap artist makes a "conscious" album that gets praised universally even though it's not that good
The lo-fi house meme finally dies
Albania or Ukraine wins Eurovision
Someone will release a controversial thinkpiece about "Is Trump bashing overplayed?"
Mark Kozelek will release a record amount of albums
Mark E. Smith will die
An obscure 80s post-punk/minimal wave/etc. artist will get a reissue and all of Sup Forums will pretend they knew it existed from the beginning

I think (hope) she means the darker tone of the songs comes from the current state of politics rather than the lyrics specifically being political. In the line before she says "So far, the new songs are a general reflection on the meaning of life, our purpose for being here and all that rubbish". I can't imagine her writing overtly political lyrics, it just doesn't seem like it'd match her lyrical style very well. Hope I'm not wrong, I fucking loved the album she dropped with Kurt Vile earlier this year, and am eagerly waiting this new one

Disney will announce that Muse will be scoring the next Star Wars standalone film

Katy Perry tries to shock people by dating a girl

Madonna announces her retirement from music

Lady Gaga collabs with Brian Eno

More like the opposite

>Madonna announces her retirement from music
That wouldn't last long

Taylor Swift will release a black metal album.

That would hurt with the amount of trust you put in p4k wouldn't it?

>Muse will be scoring the next Star Wars standalone film

pic related

Brockhampton obviously takes inspiration from Odd Future, but where Odd Future was messy and inconsistent, Brockhampton is cohesive. The members work together on tracks a lot better than OF and each one pulls their weight. In OF there was like 3 members who clearly surpassed the rest.

did he?

We get CHV3 and it's as expected, catchy and nice

>BROCKHAMPTON release a mediocre album early in 2018
>later in 2018 they release BROCKHAMPTON IV to mixed reviews
>by 2019 the hype has worn off and people barely care about their next release

>As a reaction to the oversaturation of trap, there will be hints of a more experimental subgenre of hip-hop with an emphasis on musical innovation and complex song structure taking over by the end of the year, almost like a reverse punk movement
>New My Bloody Valentine will be a significant step up from MBV and will flow much better as an album
>Lil Pump will reveal he's just playing a character (he went to Harvard for christ's sake) and will try to make a serious album, but it'll be just as bad as the mixtape
>The next Thom Yorke solo record will be critically panned but in reality it'll be pretty good
>Jarboe re-joins Swans, and the new songs will be more short-form and Angels of Light-esque, if they release an album it'll be better than anything in the trilogy
>New Death Grips album will be the Close to the Edge of rap, their best album yet
>New Danny Brown will be a disappointing return to form, probably produced by Mike Will or some other hack, but it'll still get BNM and normies will love it
>Frank Ocean will release a new album and it'll feel really rushed and phoned-in compared to his other projects, the reception will be universally lukewarm but it'll have one really successful single
>King Gizzard will only release one album at the end of the year, it'll feel much more focused and consistent than their 2017 projects
>King Crimson will tease one final album

If you haven't heard Jen Coher before, she has a very similar sound in her later albums with lyrics that are sort of CB-esque in that clever self-deprecating way, but somewhat more mature that often deal with politics, not limited to AU. My feeling (worry) is that Courtney might have a go at this, but it could be at a bad time when she ain't got quite the elegance to pull it off yet, and the anti-Trump hype has already passed its peak.

Maybe you'll be right though.

Lauren marries Justin Long

In a perfect world....

>King Krule will release an Edgar the Beatmaker full on studio album or a follow up to A New Place 2 Drown

>Earl Sweatshirt will release his latest album

>Mac Demarco clones will fizzle out along with the rest of the ironic indie shitters 2017 brought like Clairo

Ratking mixtape/album

Joji learns from his shitty In Tongues EP and releases something actually good that combines his natural rap talent with his lo-fi sound.

Interpol release their best record since TOTBL

Dam, didn't realize Jen Cloher made stuff that wasn't super acoustic singer/songwriter-esque. Honestly I saw her open for CB&KV on their tour and thought it was some of the most generic shit I'd ever heard (my roommate whom I went with thought the same), but it was probably because she was just doing an acoustic set by herself and I don't really listen to lyrics much on the first listen. Got an album you'd rec from her?

Crossing my fingers that CB takes her time and still delivers lyrically, rather than rushing out new material in attempt to stay relevant or something.

>M83's album will actually be a let-down
His last album was a let-down

your first prediction will probably be more true than you'd expect, trust me. you'll get an indication by the end of this month or the beginning of the next one

I'll kill myself.

I'm a musician so it counts.

>Carly rae jepsen will release the best pop album of the decade

screenshot this post

>KEEP A GOLD CHAIN ON MA NECK FLY AS A JET BOY BETTER TREAT ME WITH RESPECT

how does one listen to this without cringing. seriously. there hooks are soooo fucking corny. the production is for the most part bland and repetative. their bars are average too.

I find nothing about their music interesting.

Holy fuck. I am beyond keen for the New Iceage. If it's as good as PITFOL its garaunteed to be my AOTY.