Timbre > Harmony > Rhythm > Melody > Lyrics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ABWrU1_0Kus&t=795s
youtube.com/watch?v=cX4O9-4VQfo&t
youtube.com/watch?v=6qXmqokvkus
youtube.com/watch?v=Fhj2O4jToKI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is the exact reverse of what the average person hears in music

Average does not count, we want exellency.

>listens to post-rock once

>timbre
>harmony
>post-rock

How retarded are you exactly?

youtube.com/watch?v=ABWrU1_0Kus&t=795s

right.

Swap rhythm and harmony and i'll agree

"we" as in Sup Forums?
trying to establish some kind of taste hierarchy in music (or any art for that matter) is a fool's errand. you can have your own opinion on what makes for good music, but the average person hears little-to-none of the things you listed.
the mediocre, tasteless average person, and the art that is made with them in mind is what will matter in the future, looking back.
so enjoy your superior taste, for what it's worth.

(Timbre = Harmony = Rhythm = Melody) > Lyrics

I'm a musician, should I follow what the average person like and have a mediocre taste as well? I search and research to make a music which has as much vale as possible.

of course not.
if you're a musician or artist, you should follow your own intuition. it does, however, help to be conscious that all of your searching and researching may result in something very special, but yet it may go completely unnoticed by most people who hear your work.
but if you're an artist, i'm sure that you're not trying to make music for most people, but rather the few who are like you and understand what you're doing.

replying to

knowing that all the elements of music combine and play off each other to form a work of art > this ranking shit

ranking is Sup Forums tradition

whole > parts

retarded thread

found the ambientfag

this is self-evident
but it's worth thinking about what kinds of people pay attention to what kinds of musical elements
taking into account both the general population and music aficionados alike, the musical components would probably be ranked this way
lyrics=rhythm=melody>harmony=timbre
the average person would hear harmony as happy/sad/a combination of the two; most people don't know what timbre means

doesn't mean its a *good* tradition

>implying every music is composed thinking equally of those elements

you got auditory->tactile texture synesthesia? This is true for me as well

rhythm dictates the entire form of music, read messiaen you pond scum

bupm

All I know is that lyrics are by far the least important. Vocals matter more as another texture to the sound than they do for the words.

i agree except melody is more important than rhythm
i barely even listen to anything with lyrics nowadays
and ambient can actually be really good when it's not someone on youtube holding down a chord on a synth and twisting knobs

If you switch rhythm and lyrics then that’s essentially me

Why rhythm should be less important than lyrics? Lyrics move on rhythm, without it it's better you literally read a poem.

youtube.com/watch?v=cX4O9-4VQfo&t

That's Autechre

>timbre

Only if you're musically illiterate and you see "originality" as the use of weird instruments or novel bleep-bloops. Timbre and orchestration are a means to an end, i.e. the clear articulation of musical ideas. There's plenty of exploration to be done with tone-color, but generally, it's secondary to the more fundamental elements of music.

Also this.

Maybe I’m just a music-let but I’ve never found anything particularly interesting about rhythm in music. Just doesn’t appeal to me like the other factors listed in the op do.

Without rhythm, you still don't even have poetry.

Rhythm is more than just the beat. Without it, you can't even form a melody, which is technically tones varying in pitch and duration. The variations in duration are the rhythm.

I understand what rhythm is, I’ve just never listened to a song and thought anything about the rhythm of it.
Looking at the older replies I guess I should’ve pointed out that my list is what I enjoy the most in music, not what I think is most important. My bad

>novel bleep-bloops
Who's pushing the boundaries of music today if not electronic musicians? Please tell.

youtube.com/watch?v=6qXmqokvkus

>the boundaries

And what are those boundaries? Most of the boundary pushing artists of the 20th century were composers of classical art music, and yes, many of them experimented with electronics. Who's breaking these boundaries today? I'm just saying it's not Radiohead, Autechre or AFX.

Radiohead and AFX, not for sure. Autechre? That's actually arguable yes.

dont you all get bored talking about the same 20 mu core artists i swear to god what a boring lot you are

timbre has a much broader spectrum of possibility than harmony or melody. if you're not prepared to hear it, that's your problem

well that's not pushing boundaries in particular

if you want more adventurous exploration of timbre, it's electroacoustic music

youtube.com/watch?v=Fhj2O4jToKI

see

This is what I'm talking about right here: true exploration of tone color. But yeah, these days there really aren't any boundaries in the world of art music. The 20th century blew the lid off of everything.

What Autechre does is a form of relatively harmless popular music. I'm not knocking it, I enjoy Autechre, and Radiohead, AFX, The Beatles, etc. but it's not particularly ambitious considering the time it's coming out. What I *am* knocking, however, is the facile viewpoint that artistic originality is in the development of a tone-color pallet without exploring the structural-formal implications of the waveforms themselves. Otherwise, it's just cool sounds that serve otherwise traditional musical ideas.

I'll add it's by this same token that I disagree with the le wrong generation cunts that shit on electronic music because "they don't actually play their instruments." It's about ideas fundamentally.

Unless you're a composer or autistic, I seriously doubt you're prepared to analyze the innumerable and minute complexities of electroacoustic waveforms either, you tryhard faggot.

Melody >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harmony > Rhythm >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Timbre >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lyrics

>Unless you're a composer or autistic, I seriously doubt you're prepared to analyze the innumerable and minute complexities of electroacoustic waveforms either, you tryhard faggot.
That's not what I was implying, but Schaeffer introduced a system specifically for that.

bump

Parentheses unnecessary. You are a faggot.

What's secondary to timbre in ambient music?

Likelihood of it getting you laid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Timbre=Harmony=Rhythm=Melody=Lyrics

You should kill yourself