Why can't american football be as successful as basketball outside of america?

everybody in this world knows what basketball is and who michael jordan is but hardly anybody knows what american football is and who tom brady or joe montana is.

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/4512741/nfl-cafl-american-football-china-arena-football-sports-peyton-manning/
usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2017/02/22/china-plans-for-50-000-football-academies-by-2025/98238836/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cause it's shit

Basketball is a sport for poor people while football has really expensive gear.

Long story short: it's cultural
Americans are literally bullied into "liking" handegg eventhough there are far more superior sports like football, rugby, cricket, basketball
From very young age they watch NFL/superbowl
in school they are bullied to like the school team, and the Chads playing in the team bully everybody else in the school, they are the "alphas"
then in college everybody is bullied to watch the Chads of the college team playing it
then as adults they are bullied to go in a fantasy league by their coworkers, watch NFL, etc.
it never ends.

What happen if you resist the bullying? they say you are gay, unmanly, and the worst of all: un-American

See, we, rest of the World, don't have this cultural pressure. so we see handegg as it is: utter shit. And we call it out: "but it's shit! why you Amerifats do you watch this?"

American football is literally the most fringe sport ever

>too bureaucratic, it is hard to see creativity or individualism
>impossible to train alone
>you have to wear armour to play it

also basketball is played in a lot of countries, it was our second(maybe third) sport in the 80s

What could be more gay than rubbing up and touching other guys, rugby is just as gay as American Football imo

>obsessed frog is already typing out more essays on america
why dont you go for a walk or something

I have literally a pastebin of all my work, doesn't even take me any effort

>frogs actually believe this

then explain, if handegg is so great, as every American seems to think, why is it flopping so hard outside your country?
We don't have your indoctrination, so we can see handegg real worth, which is not much

Because is gay.

Football is just something American familes gather around on Thanksgiving to watch, Nothing special. Why does it matter if it flops in other countries when it has such a successful fanbase here?

I answered OP's question. Why it is successful in your country, why it isn't and never will in foreign countries

Thanks for telling me that.

Do you know how expensive handegg is?

Soccer you only need a field and a ball.

>Chads
Cease this meme

you also need to be able to afford working out in a gym. you cant just be a straight pacenigger.

this

every high school in this country has its set of helmets, pads, etc. for their team to wear, a booster program to get replacements every number of years, a weight room/appropriate training equipment, and lots of eager players. (bear in mind how large and specialized american football teams are). it's hugely expensive and only popular here because it's so engrained in the culture already. starting a football team from scratch would cost somewhere in the five digit range, and you would have to join or co-found an established league.

basketball, on the other hand, requires a ball, a net or two, and 1 or more friends.

So soccer is for poor countries then is what you're saying

You only need a field and a ball to play handegg.

you need a very specific ball, and like 10 other people, and somewhat special rules to avoid getting really hurt (or cloth pieces to play flag)
and even with this the game is barely complete

Football is too expensive for the rest of the world. Plus, the rest of the world are a bunch of pussies that couldn't handle the rigors of American football. They'd probably ban it because it offends muslims or something.

And rugby doesn't even come close. It's just a bunch of fags playing grab-ass

Sorry if you were triggered into horrible flashbacks, we'll try to be more sensitive now.

>just a bunch of fags playing grab-ass
>literally American sporting tradition to slap and grab your teammates ass for a job well done

Cricket equipment is more expensive than handegg equipment, and the third world manages to play that fine. The "they?re just too poor to play it" is an 'argument' American 'comedians' came up with.

The "equipment is expensive" isn't an argument when it comes to a sports popularity, see If you want to play a sport, you play it. Like you make baseball gloves out of milk boxes.
Also there are sport 100x more violent, like rugby, aussie rules or boxing

Do you want to know why your favorite sport isn't played besides in your country? Because it sucks, period.

That why we're called Yuropoors.

I also want to add that handegg is really damaging for your brain. At some point parents won't let their children play.

-literally 100 players per team so impossible to really follow anything but the quarter back.
-really short season with games only on weekends
-political garbage inserted into every game that has nothing to do with sport
-does not flow at all with a stop after every play

Just a few of the reasons i dont watch it.

These are the sports that do well here, (i always hear people talking about, wearing the tops, doing fantasy for).
AFL,
NRL
NBA
EPL

I am yet to find a single person who watches NFL other than the superbowl and i have absolutely never in my life seen a person in real life wearing an NFL top.

why isnt cricket more global? a third of the world plays it sure, but they are from like 5 countries.

NBL
A-League

Because the cricket international governing body is very conservative, because it's a rather complicated game, because game's format was too long for too long

Because the other countries just play rugby and there are like 500 variations of rugby to choose from. There is literally no equivalent to basketball. And Basketball is very fun to play.

And Americans players or coaches never came over to try and help spread the sport. The NFL is trying now with foreign fixtures but they send over garbage teams in what is clearly just a cash grab.

You can play baseball and cricket-like games easily in the third world with absolutely no professional gear and both games are incredible fun to play when you're a child. Play on street with sticks, use a coke plastic bottle with some sand as a wicket and make a ball with socks, tape or use those cheap rubber jumping balls.

To casually play handegg, you need an expensive fancy ball with no other purpose, a grass field, two giant fucking "U" and a lot of people with motivation and at least basic knowledge of these fancy rules. Only way to do that is making a professional team, getting sponsors and entering a league, which may not exist and you need to convince more people to found one with you.

And you'll be seen as a yankee-cocksucker

>You can play baseball and cricket-like games easily in the third world with absolutely no professional gear
doesn't the same apply to flag football?

basketball, like sawker, has the most simple rules. its easy to understand what is happening.
every other sport has rules and subtleties that you have to learn before you can understand what is happening.

As a third worlder, I can say that no child would have interest in playing a game that feel as an emasculated version of the pro one. You remove rules to make the game more simpler but no gayer. Maybe a rich school would chose to play flag football as a meme sport, but kids on street choosing to play this by themselves is just impossible.

in most countries athletes are considered to be individuals who are in good shape

handeggers are mostly fat, so they don't get taken seriously as athletes outside of the US

why the fuck would anyone outside america want to learn the rules of handegg and play it

While
time.com/4512741/nfl-cafl-american-football-china-arena-football-sports-peyton-manning/
usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2017/02/22/china-plans-for-50-000-football-academies-by-2025/98238836/
>literally Peyton Manning vs. the entire Chinese gouvernment

The anglophone countries already have our own egg sports (league, union and australian rules)
Fatball is completely redundant for us and also a little bit shit compared to our games. It wouldn't have developed if rugby was in the stable state it's in now. The same is true for aussie rules footy. Basketball is instead completely unique as a male sport.

There's also the equipment you need to play fatball, the difficulty in playing in smaller numbers compared to basketball and its lack of connection to anything that's considered hip outside of America like hip hop.

>Play on street with sticks, use a coke plastic bottle with some sand as a wicket and make a ball with socks, tape or use those cheap rubber jumping balls.
That's true for kids playing the game, but playing it properly requires expensive equipment and a carefully maintained pitch and outfield. Cricket is HEAVILY dependent on the conditions you play it in and the balls you use. That's half the game right there.

If you don't have that shit available then it's very very hard to have the game develop. The Indian subcontinent and the Caribbean had infrastructure left behind by the English to use and manage to play the game properly with that. They're almost never going to be able to play the game properly though. That's one of the main problems in regions like Nepal, the pacific islands, Papua New Guinea and a couple of African nations where the game is popular but is never translated into actually success internationally.

There's about 15 countries that take it seriously and a few more where it's vaguely relevant. The main problem is that international cricket was administered as part of the British Empire. If you weren't British you could fuck off. It used to have a following in the Netherlands (who may have invented it in the first place), Argentina and America, but they received absolutely no support from cricket playing nations and it died off there. The English also actively tried to prevent the African and Indian populations from playing it because it was meant to be the aristocracy's game at that time. It's only been in the last two decades that black South Africans actually were allowed to play it for example.

It's only been recently that it has actually begun to expand to non-Commonwealth countries like Ireland, Afghanistan, Nepal, Malaysia, Oman and the UAE.

There's also the equipment problem and the fact that it's by far the most complex major sport in the world.

American football is on the way out. Just watch soccer.
You are a smelly homosexual. I know this because it's a cultural thing.

>basketball, like sawker, has the most simple rules. its easy to understand what is happening.

Best answer.

>It wouldn't have developed if rugby was in the stable state it's in now. The same is true for aussie rules footy.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by stable state (assuming stability with regards to rules?), but I think off-shoot of Union would've developed regardless.

The mid/late-19th century was kind of the "Wild West" as far as sports went, with specific regions and colleges in Anglo countries all trying to develop their own unique "football code." A lot of Euros and S. Americans think the anglophone countries retreated into their own football codes because they "sucked" at soccer (or rugby) but those sports were still very new and not really solidly codified, so experimentation across America, Australia, and the United Kingdom was rampant, and resulted in a variety of codes, from Gaelic to League to American Football to Aussie Rules.

As to the OP, American football is tough to export because the countries that might take to it already have their own "eggball" games. Not to mention American football's presentation (too many commercials, and I agree here) and rhythm (stop-start down structure) is at odds with the continuous soccer rhythm most of the world has grown accustomed to.

It's why basketball is our most successful export, since it's a "flow" game (yes, I know basketball has stoppages with fouls and timeouts, but the on court action is continuous).

>mfw an American was fat near me

obviously its hard to understand if you aren't accustomed to it, hence many of the retarded posts on this board and ITT. also, the ads are just very offputting, especially if you think the game is literally being stopped for them.

how are the rules even hard to understand? you take the egg into the N-zone and touch it down.

it's just a boring game.

Rugby has way more subtleties and yet is widely more popular. Not an argument.

My dad would just have football games on every Sunday, and didn't even try to make me watch them. I just started watching because I was curious then realized I found it interesting and started watching every week. This was when I was like 12 years old and didn't know any Chads or anything and had no conception of jocks or football players.

So your idea is full of shit.

I like football but I'm glad it's dying just like its players.

Ah in Nepal actually football is popular than cricket as a sport.Only thing people care about is our National cricket team.That's all but in practice football is more played than cricket.Funny thing is they have own cricket league here but no one cares.Ground has like zero audience and it gets zero coverage from media.And barely you will see children playing cricket here.

Never said it was the biggest sport there, just one region where it's growing

Ah

>being that obsessed

rugby is far more intuitive for a football audience than gridiron, and the fact that you quantified "subtleties" so quickly makes it seem like you don't know much about gridiron desu

I always see yuros complaining on here that gridiron seems contrived and has too many rules. that'd be pretty tough to explain if I have no argument.

Rugby union is far, far more complex than American football. I went on exchange to America and picked up the rules pretty quickly, but I honestly wouldn't know why half the penalties in rugby occur

wew, I can't tell what's more impressive, the autistic effort that went into this shitpost or the seething it created

american kids play 3 v 3 touch football. sorry pierre, learn more before you talk shit and look stupid.

I appreciate your anecdotal evidence, but i know plenty of people who have said the opposite. Moreover, complexities aren't limited to rules, retard.

You're the one brought up rules mate

After all these years on spee I know pretty much how to easily trigger my Amerifriends
Rugby is free flowing game but is very subtle while being rough and violent. Handegg is just "you have 4 tries to advance X meters", it only looks complex because of all the replays and ad breaks. Also the loophole rules covered by other loophole rules which can be defeated with using other loophole rules (which is definitively the sign of an imperfect game)

fair enough, but that was just an example regarding a larger point

they are both complex to the point where it takes years to really understand what's happening. you're splitting hairs and your dismissal of that argument was silly.

>muh complex

Nah, man. Handad just sucks BALLS.

Temperley represent