Why the fuck does it seem to be impossible to make a good video-game movie?

Why the fuck does it seem to be impossible to make a good video-game movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/09vVF-Hvykg?t=5
youtube.com/watch?v=EBGvtkVVas0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WarCraft was good desu.

For the same reason it's boring to sit on the couch and watch your friend play a video game. The whole concept of a video game is designed to be interactive, it doesn't translate well to passive entertainment

Because they picked the shittiest premise they could find if it meant they would get a check from UbiJew

>Rotten Tomatoes
who cares about the opinions of a bunch of reverse-racist bloggers

theres never been a good video game mov-

>For the same reason it's boring to sit on the couch and watch your friend play a video game.

Tell that to the thousands of Let's Players on Youtube and their millions and millions of followers.

it has nothing to do with it being a game, a lot of high budget games have very fleshed out worlds with a lot of material to work with, yet the movies are always shit

Same reason you can't make horror in anime.

Shit just doesn't translate well.

NOOO, i wanted this to be good so bad. Justin Kurzel's Macbeth was great and the cast is solid as fuck.

This was supposed to break the video game movie curse.

Because good video games are defined by the gameplay (doesn't carry over to cinema) moreso than their story (carries over to cinema). Pretty much every single video game has a shitty plot that only exists to line up bad guy after bad guy, obstacle after obstacle, for you to triumph over. It doesn't matter how shitty the writing is that sets up this next obstacle, since in a video game, the next level is simply assumed and requires no justification.

That's why most video game movies are cash grabs for well-known franchises that have typically generic Hollywood plots.

hahahahhah fuck all off you Sup Forumsedditors for thinking its going to be good

Because AssCreed was literally the same 20 minutes of gameplay repeated over and voer again for the whole game. I assume so anyway, I didn't finish the first one because, as I said, it was the said 20 minutes of gameplay repeated over and over.

>All the riveting roof-top running and hand-to-hand combat in the world won't make a movie worthwhile if you don't give a damn about the characters.

>Good god, but Assassin's Creed is dull.

I guess this movie goes into the "movies women will never understand" category

This. I loved this movie as a kid. Fuck all those """"""""""critics"""""""""" out there who would give 5/5 stars to two gay cowboys eating pudding but can't understand that kids movies are made for kids and shouldn't be held up to such high standards as they hold for more "adult" movies.

>implying pic related isn't a great film

Gears of War is getting a movie

This shit was doomed when it was revealed that only 1/4th of the movie was going to take place in the past and the rest would be present day.

Because it wasn't made by Uwe 'Critics can go fuck themselves' Boll.

I would gladly tell that to all of them

Same reaaon why bookfags dont usually like movie adaptions.

Prince of Persia is still the best of them all. I should rewatch it some time soon, I'm curious whether my opinion of it will change.

>liking anything by Uwe "Fuck the audience, tax return's where's at" Boll

I like watching friends play video games, it's comfy. At least as long as it isn't some dumb fucking FPS or MMO

I see where you're going but that is a different argument.

It's manly because the games themselves are so shit it takes someone with real imaginative direction to capture and translate the medium, and the directors possessing of such talents are all busy making good kino.

Only correct answer in the thread.

There is just a fundamental discrepancy between video games and movies in what the function of the plot is.

When I was a kid Mortal Kombat was amazing because I was a kid. Which makes you think, maybe the reason they're not very good is because video games are made for kids so they weren't very good in the first place.

Do you know why there is no great video game movie?

Because video games cannot be art

>>>/reddit/

I don't see how that's relevant. Video game movies take the world and characters from the source material and try to make something new. Video games have great settings. It shouldn't be any different from comic book movies but for some reason video game movies always underperform.

The first Silent Hill is decent and the Resident Evil movies are amazing.
Wasn't MK fucking PG-13? I never got the praise for that adaptation.

Videogames have dumb convoluted plots, mystical magic artifacts, dumb mcguffins that are meant to drive gameplay not character development, dumb impractical designs, generic protagonists, and so on and on.

these days many of us watch lets plays and video games are more story driven. its not like back in the day with tekken.
I don't know. some have a good enough balance of story and action that they should make a good movie

>Same reason you can't make horror in anime.
you can.

>video games cannot be art

here's your you

and:

video games are a unique form of art and all its value gets diminished if you try to convert it into another medium

that sounds just like any blockbuster nowadays

Because only manchildren take videogames seriously. For a videogame movie to be good it would have to not take itself seriously or be based only very vaguely.

These are movies though, not videogames. They are taking the story of a videogame and translating it in to a movie.

As for what OP asked, I think it's because the videogames that get movies made out of them are the most popular franchises that don't have the best stories to begin with. And maybe the best movie makers are not too enthusiastic to make "videogame movies"

A: Video game plots are usually either generic or shit, and the ones with good plots get run into the ground hard once everyone fanboys around it

B: Movies have at max 2 hours to build an interesting, immersive universe while still making room for a plot while video games have 15-60 hours to split worldbuilding, characterization and narrative

Sure.

Holy shit that movie is out? I've heard nothing about it, it must be really bad.

Unironically a decent action film

The second one in Raccoon city is fun as well

They are good solid action movie schlock

this

Who gives a shit about muh RT score?

I'm waiting for Armond's review. He praised Macbeth but hates vidya so who knows whether he'll like it or not

Why the fuck do they all look the same, seriously? They're fucking clones or there is something in the water creating nu-males.

youtu.be/09vVF-Hvykg?t=5

>or there is something in the water creating nu-males.
xenoestrogens

it's also in the food, in plastic, shampoos and soap.

Don't be dense. The obvious appeal of watching that shit is the personality of the person(s) playing it, and their reactions.

>If critics and fanboys weren’t suckers for simplistic nihilism and high-pressure marketing, Afterlife would be universally acclaimed as a visionary feat, superior to Inception and Avatar on every level.
Troll or not, this is completely on point.
youtube.com/watch?v=EBGvtkVVas0

>These are movies though, not videogames. They are taking the story of a videogame and translating it in to a movie.
Video games don't have good stories, their entire premise is how interactive they are.

Because the main attractive of a video game is that you get to play it and making it a movie takes away the one thing that makes it fun. Unless it's a story focused game like say The Last of Us which turning into a movie is pointless as you can just play the game for it and you get the full story instead a short version condensed into 2 hours.

that was a black comedy.

Video games don't have stories as developed as movies, the interactivity is a big part of the game that is lost in adaptation, so it's hard to do well. There are games with lots of lore, but again the interactivity means you discover it at your leasure, unlike a movie which has to deliver it in under 3 hours.

Assassins Creed has the worst video game lore out there.

Also it's because nobody makes video game adaptations for there artistic merit, its all just to cash in.

>Rotten Tomatoes

Opinion discarded.

bad goy

Because they don't have to be good to sell and studios are more interested in doing the bare minimum for a buck

In this case the bare minimum is making a movie based on a franchise with an already strong fan base (though they missed the mark by a few years I'd say) and a big name actor for normies/credibility

Why would they waste money and resources for something that should return budget anyways?

It has nothing to do with having to condense a story, or video games having bad stories to begin with by default (though this one does), or any other reason but money

Its the critics.

Proof thaf critics are corrupt

You need to go back. Way, WAY back.

Warcraft was passable

>Implying you don't love seeing a shitty franchise getting a shitty film the shitty fans totally thought was going to break the shitty game film adaption curse.

>I never got the praise for that adaptation
it's the perfect b-movie. it knows it's dumb but still just rolls along
plus the highlander is the fucking god of thunder
what's not to love?

sounds like most movies

The Last of Us movie adaptation will be critically acclaimed because their LTGBBQ topics.

>not liking everything by Uwe "Fuck the taxes I'm in deep with the russian mob launderingtheir money" Boll

your get there speaks truth, double trips and doubles

>majority of the movie takes place in present day, the part of the game everyone hates

Great idea!

>have one kiss between female characters in a DLC

>MUH LIBRUL AGENDA

kys Sup Forumstards

>getting triggered over something he didn't even say
lol, faggot.

kek

Ubisoft thought that they could just start a production company like Marvel did

They don't understand that Marvel's company was built around an accomplished film producer who was a fan of the properties and had already successfully adapted them for other companies. Ubisoft wanted the big bucks without the hard work and development of talent.

Instead, they let Fassbender, who didn't give two shits about the franchise outside of thinking it sounded like The Matrix, turn their Iron Man wannabe into his personal vanity project as a first-time producer

Blunder Of The Year. At least BvS didn't kill a studio.