Heyyy... heeeyyyyyy... heeeeyyyyyy... HEEEEEY-AYYYYYYYYYH

>Heyyy... heeeyyyyyy... heeeeyyyyyy... HEEEEEY-AYYYYYYYYYH...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7_ufLazwM
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Plourz3Xs
youtube.com/watch?v=-nte5qXB1PE
youtube.com/watch?v=z3hyhYiU6IY
youtube.com/watch?v=34wdwzwgnAM
youtube.com/watch?v=3bDkNl9eKyk
youtube.com/watch?v=G7TCYM-QYww
youtube.com/watch?v=rQ27K8vZjHw
youtube.com/watch?v=B_VYNNkCDFo
youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2ZX8UqHaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Qf1sy002-lc
youtube.com/watch?v=hiZPrFy73uE
youtube.com/watch?v=DJukLbmHqxY
youtu.be/BPuWiNA9KAk
youtube.com/watch?v=frsZSnFSLG4
youtu.be/zNBriMPGBBE
youtube.com/watch?v=AVcXl1ih8FQ
youtu.be/8v0uFUm3lUM
youtube.com/watch?v=SILVQpqmH7U
youtube.com/watch?v=BOQX4v5c6u4
youtube.com/watch?v=5DNcMqPv8HY
youtube.com/watch?v=kKvzP8j13_o
youtube.com/watch?v=Pwps1ykr88M
youtube.com/watch?v=HEeEMuAXGlU
youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-3yceyO20
youtube.com/watch?v=GKwoghK6B1U
curve-online.co.uk/
youtube.com/watch?v=0heeracP32M
youtu.be/9kLsLnZkBQE
youtube.com/watch?v=8GFnbfC5EKE
youtu.be/l7nYrWyuVk4
youtu.be/1-Pp4OTEP24
youtu.be/0gVJ2jwWBGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QL-4OnrQp-8
youtu.be/VhsE8dYG7MU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

curve are so good and so underrated. why the fuck nobody cares about them? nobody likes a blend of mbv, siouxie and the banshees and nin?

youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7_ufLazwM
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Plourz3Xs
youtube.com/watch?v=-nte5qXB1PE
youtube.com/watch?v=z3hyhYiU6IY
youtube.com/watch?v=34wdwzwgnAM
youtube.com/watch?v=3bDkNl9eKyk

how many my bloody valentine carbon copy bands did record labels manufacture in the 90s?

curve > mbv

>Heyyy... heeeyyyyyy... heeeeyyyyyy...

they get mentioned in the context of Garbage ripping them off

outside of that I agree they are underrated, their blend of grunge shoegaze and electronic music is definitely unique to say the least

MBV and Siouxsie & The Banshees are two of my favorite bands of all time, so I'll have to check them out.

>nobody likes a
I do
I also kinda like SPC ECO though its not excatly like curve its his daughter singing
youtube.com/watch?v=G7TCYM-QYww

If you think Curve is a carbon copy of My Bloody Valentine you probably need your hearing checked.

they weren't a carbon copy of mbv. they even started in 1990, a year before loveless. unlike mbv, they had upfront vocals, heavier and edgier instrumentals. "soon" is the only mbv song close to curve's style. funny thing is that "soon" appeared after curve's debut ep, blindfold.

I love how fat their drums sounded.

cool. they could go even heavier:
youtube.com/watch?v=rQ27K8vZjHw
youtube.com/watch?v=B_VYNNkCDFo
youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2ZX8UqHaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Qf1sy002-lc

love dem drums.

i dare you to find a more sensual, groovy and powerful song than their cover of "i feel love" by donna summer: youtube.com/watch?v=hiZPrFy73uE
this is mindlowing.

>why the fuck nobody cares about them?
lurk more

Huh. Wake up and check on Sup Forums.
There's a Curve thread.
Today is going to be a good day.

i still don't understand why their initial popularity waned so fast. their sound was quite heavy for mainstream but more accessible than e.g. mbv. they were the next big thing in the early '90s only to be forgotten just few years later. no matter what i will always love this duo.

youtube.com/watch?v=DJukLbmHqxY

I'll post one of my faves:

On The Wheel (from Way of Curve)
youtu.be/BPuWiNA9KAk

nice one. right now i'm enjoying this incredible piece, low and behold: youtube.com/watch?v=frsZSnFSLG4
so well ballanced, so gorgeous, groovy yet atmospheric.

>initial popularity
I guess they were a bit of a buzz band for a little while but they were never popular. I saw them on 120 Minutes is how I got into them. They didn't get the marketing for some reason.

I want to marry toni

Yeah. Alan Moulder is a lucky guy.

they were never truly popular but consider that doppelganger reached #11 in the uk charts. it's a big feat for a small indie band like them.
btw, did you know that their uk label was anxious records owned by dave stewart of eurythmics? dean garcia (the male member of curve) actually played bass on some eurythmics songs. also toni halliday sang on 2 robert plant (that robert plant) '80s albums.

she's older now anyway. she's still looking good.

Dave Stewart is who introduced Dean Garcia to Toni Halliday. Big fan. Know all the tidbits. Originally they formed a band called State of Play.

The reason I think is that they're underrated is that they never released a 10/10 album.
Doppelganger is to samey, Cockoo has some weak tracks (although it's my personal favorite), Come Clean is all over the place and didn't age well and Gift is good but kinda boring.
Ppl these days don't know they where actually the biggest and most respected bands of the shoegaze era. You could count Curve clones by the dozen between 91-94, that includes Angelfish and Garbage later.

Fun fact: Madonna copied Toni's singing style and admitted being a fan in the early 90s when she was trying to get some hip-cred. "Beautiful Stranger" could easily pass as a Curve song minus distortion

At least post where she's smiling. Fyi she did a solo project a few years back called Chatelaine:

youtu.be/zNBriMPGBBE

that's right. state of play was a disaster. their label spent a lot of money on them and the whole project failed miserably.
speaking of side projects, toni halliday's side project scylla is truly underrated. scylla didn't even manage to release a proper album. there are just demos of their supposed debut album. this is their best song: youtube.com/watch?v=AVcXl1ih8FQ
it sounds like a lightweight and goth version of curve.

I'd consider Pubic Fruit a 10/10 although it is a compilation of their first three EPs.

>The reason I think is that they're underrated is that they never released a 10/10 album.
let's be real, those ratings are really subjective. for me their compilation of their first 3 eps named pubic fruit is easily a 10/10 album.
also many bands got huge popularity based on very good but not 10/10 albums. e.g. do you really believe that nevermind is perfect? there are at least 3 mediocre tracks on it.
>You could count Curve clones by the dozen between 91-94, that includes Angelfish and Garbage later.
besides lulabox, where are those curve clones by the dozen? post 12 of them.

this. pubic fruit is 10/10. also gift, but that's my unpopular opinion.

Curve (and Stereolab) had actually wayy more carbon copy bands in the 90s
mvb didn't get theirs until the late 00s

how could mbv even compete with this youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7_ufLazwM ?

Agree, I meant iconic album, maybe 10/10 wasn't a good point
Don't expect me to remember all those shitty bands like Lulabox, Sybil Vane, Angelfish, Plum and even fucking Laika sounded like them at times.
Dean even tried to make a new Curve-like band with a different singer that sucked so hard I can't even remember the name, Red something
Not to mention mainstream acts stealing their stuff, just search for any 90s latin american "shoegaze" and you'll see

Also gonna' shout out to Dean Garcia who is a helluva underrated bassist and multi instrumentalist. Guy has been in umpteen killer collabs since Curve:

KGC with Sasha and Lucia Ciffarelli of KMFDM
The Secret Meeting with Collide
Morpheme with Perry Pellonero and Kim Welsh of bliss. city. east.
youtu.be/8v0uFUm3lUM
The Chronologic with Slade Templeton.
And of course SPC ECO....

All good stuff.

>Angelfish
they didn't sound like curve, though. i think you're biased because shirley manson's voice is kinda similar to toni halliday's voice.

Gift is a damn good album. Pisses me off that it took me so long to listen to it.

Check the soundtrack of any edgy 90s movie and you'll find at least 2 Curve clones

toni halliday wasn't lazy too. she collaborated with many artists like the future sound of london, leftfield, paul van dyk, robert plant, recoil (alan wilder of depeche mode's side project), orbital, the killers, and others.
check this out: youtube.com/watch?v=SILVQpqmH7U
fuckin' amazing if you ask me.

it's really good and pretty much devoid of filler. the more electronic follow up, new adventures of curve, is even more underrated. it's their most understated album but it's still very compelling.

example of such soundtrack? i'm asking you that because i doubt there were that many curve clones. why would want anyone to clone the sound of an underground band with limited commercial success?

>tfw Doppelganger isn't on spotify

Because it was an easy formula to follow and stay hip if you where doing 80s Transmission Vamp style music.
I'm about to have lunch with my family right now (haven't seen them for months) if this thread is alive when I return home will post some examples

Neither is the rest of their stuff, the reissues Dean is working on should fix it, whenever they come out

it isn't? such a shame.

>Because it was an easy formula to follow and stay hip if you where doing 80s Transmission Vamp style music.
there were bands like transvision vamp in the 90s, but like curve? only garbage, lulabox, republica and maybe sneaker pimps had a little similarity to them. curve were the heaviest and grooviest of them all.

>tfw the extraordinary 'edge to life' by recoil feat toni halliday is still not on youtube

Pubic Fruit 10/10
Doppelgänger 8/10
Cuckoo 9/10
Come Clean 7/10
Open Day at the Hate Fest 7/10
Gift 8/10
The New Adventures of Curve 7/10

Pubic Fruit 10/10
Doppelgänger 9/10
Cuckoo 9/10
Come Clean 8/10
Open Day at the Hate Fest 7/10
Gift 10/10
The New Adventures of Curve 8/10

i'm trying to be as non biased as possible.

beautiful
youtube.com/watch?v=BOQX4v5c6u4

Nice to see a Curve thread get more than 3 replies on Sup Forums. Renews a bit of my faith in this place.

curve could do gentle ballads too: youtube.com/watch?v=5DNcMqPv8HY

there are some people with good taste on Sup Forums.

Pubic Fruit is an excellent compilation. Almost sounds like the feminine counterpart to The Sisters Of Mercy's Vision Thing in places.

youtube.com/watch?v=kKvzP8j13_o

Sexy as fuck.

>i still don't understand why their initial popularity waned so fast.

Curve were immediately treated with suspicion since Toni Halliday and Dean Garcia spent most of the 80s trying (and failing) to establish themselves as commercial pop musicians. When they moved onto Curve in the early 90s a lot of people figured that their shift towards a more "alternative" sound was just another career move. And it most likely was, considering that they did another 180 move towards "electronica"-tinged rock in the late 90s when that particular sound was blowing up.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pwps1ykr88M

None of this affects my enjoyment of the few records of theirs that I'm actually into, but I do understand why it all resulted in Curve kinda becoming a B-list band in the public eye. People are gonna be vary of committing themselves to a band that comes with that sort of baggage.

>Curve were immediately treated with suspicion since Toni Halliday and Dean Garcia spent most of the 80s trying (and failing) to establish themselves as commercial pop musicians. When they moved onto Curve in the early 90s a lot of people figured that their shift towards a more "alternative" sound was just another career move. And it most likely was, considering that they did another 180 move towards "electronica"-tinged rock in the late 90s when that particular sound was blowing up.
it makes sense.
>None of this affects my enjoyment of the few records of theirs that I'm actually into, but I do understand why it all resulted in Curve kinda becoming a B-list band in the public eye. People are gonna be vary of committing themselves to a band that comes with that sort of baggage.
people are fickle and naive. in general, i don't trust them.

At least Bloodline is there and it has some GOAT contributions by Toni

But Gang of Fours "shrinkwrapped" that was the last decent album they made (thanks to Dean) isn't

He's right though. No one in /shugazi/ mentions them. It's just fucking Loveless and shitty, mediocre japanese shoegaze bands.

They were always great in Peel's studio as well. Those sessions arguably aged better than most of their proper studio output.

youtube.com/watch?v=HEeEMuAXGlU
youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-3yceyO20

gr8 remix

youtube.com/watch?v=GKwoghK6B1U

Oh wow! Never heard this. Thanks!

That '92 Peel version of Die Like A Dog is easily my favorite Curve song.

trivia 1: kevin shields of mbv actually played additional guitar on 2 curve songs: want more need less & perish.

trivia 2: this is the best curve fan site: curve-online.co.uk/
it's looks '90s as fuck but it's full of great content.

cool aphex twin remix

this is honestly the best curve thread in the past 3 years. well done everyone itt. let's keep it alive as long as possible.

Agreed. One band I think is criminally underrated.

speaking of live version, their very first song 'ten little girls' sounds amazing live: youtube.com/watch?v=0heeracP32M
her rapping is delicious.

coast is clear: youtube.com/watch?v=3bDkNl9eKyk
tbch i never heard a similar sound to that flute-like guitar tone.

what is their best tune? imo it's 'fait accompli': youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Plourz3Xs
this is curve at their best. this song is literally perfect.

Tall order to figure out my favorite Curve track. I'll go with All of One off of Cuckoo.

youtu.be/9kLsLnZkBQE

Clipped.

youtube.com/watch?v=8GFnbfC5EKE

now this is a good thread

thanks, friend. do you know this band? fave songs?

On a trivia sidenote since you reminded me. Debbie Smith, Curve's guitarist, is still very active.

Blindness - Glamourama
youtu.be/l7nYrWyuVk4

She's also in The Nuns.

>that fucking guitarist

Triggered?

"Fait acompli" is gr8, but my favorite is one of their least liked, that would be "Turkey crossing"

>tfw current KMFDM are the closest to Curve I'm current time, except Lucia is a terrible singer and Toni retired
I unironically enjoyed the "pop" tracks on Hell Yeah anyways
This song is cheesy af, but it grew on me
youtu.be/1-Pp4OTEP24

Top 3 best basslines of the 90s coming through, the definition of a killer bass, Dean is so fucking underrated
youtu.be/0gVJ2jwWBGk

>Pubic Fruit is an excellent compilation. Almost sounds like the feminine counterpart to The Sisters Of Mercy's Vision Thing in places.
But user, Vision Thing is terrible, Some Girls Wonder by Mistake should be the proper comparison

actually floodland is the sister of mercy's best album by far.

youtube.com/watch?v=QL-4OnrQp-8

>I like it so I have to pretend other people don't to feel special
they're a popular band, stop doing this

SoM peaked before the debut album, anything after is Andy solo. Floodland is good but isn't groundbreaking as their early stuff, seeing the original lineup doing "Floorshow" at insane volumes in 1983-4 influenced a lot of ppl to pick up an instrument, from JAMC to some industrial bands, not to mention the goths
Anyways, this is a Curve thread, let's not derail

Good thread
r8 my Curve collection, it's small but at my defense, got Come Clean the week it came out.
The booklets have some gr8 pics and are THICK, wish I had a good scanner

What the hell happened on / mu/ today that a Curve thread stayed up all day. Amazing.

Anyway nice collection . Most I ever spent for CD right here. Found it on Musicstack in a Record Store in Leeds UK. New. Cost me $70.00 to get it shipped to me. Worth it though.

Thumbs up. Another contender for my favorite Curve song.

Found this one in a bargain bin believe it or not, $10 bucks if I recall well. Payed full price for the other 2 thou.
Should hunt for a copy of Gift, some old record store should have it

great little collection but you really need at least doppelganger and gift.
excellent compilation. not only you get many rarities and b-sides but all singles were remastered.

I WANT TO TRAVEL SOUTH THIS YEAR

Don't try to close your hands, they're smaller than the rain

youtu.be/VhsE8dYG7MU

great song and video. shame it's so underrated.

Greatest indie band of the 90s.
I miss them so much.

>I miss them so much.
hopefully they will reunite someday

Now that Slowdive and MBV are playing gigs and Lush have played a couple let's get Curve back together throw in some more Shoegaze acts and have Lollapashoegaze.

I'd crawl naked through glass to get to that show.