You may only post ITT if you saw Fellowship of the Ring in theaters 15 years ago

You may only post ITT if you saw Fellowship of the Ring in theaters 15 years ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GFnWqdoboMM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tfw parents didn't let me

tfw saw two towers and return of the king with them instead

Saw all three with my dad and brother as a kid, those were better times.

>Didn't see it on the first day so no hardcore autismo fans
>Went with dad
>tfw I clapped when Legolas killed orcs
I feel autistic as fuck thinking back on it, and I know my dad cringed

I did. Never read the books growing up, but I liked the trailer. I was also seeing a lot of movies at the time. Fucking loved it. Got the books the next day.

it was fantastic

the mines of moria sequence and boromir's last stand and eventual death blew me away as a kid

Yup, saw all 3. Nearly cried at the end of ROTK.

>saw them with my dad and brother
Same, lad. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to how kids must've felt watching Star Wars for the first time back in '77.

I saw Fellowship and Two Towers with my Mom, but saw ROTK opening week with some friends.

I saw it four times during it's initial release in theaters when I was eight and two other later times when they were showing the entire extended trilogy back to back to back at local theaters.

I saw it on the first date I'd ever been on. I was too busy being awkward to concentrate on the film

In my head I can still hear the one guy triumphantly yelling "Sit down!" amidst all of the cheers after Aragorn chopped Lurtz's head off.

>The look on Aragorn's fucking face right after that fight
Went to see it right after we had an ice storm here in CT, I spent all day with a hatchet hacking at fallen branches and trees and all evening watching FOTR. 13 year old me was pretty happy.

I was blown away by The Last Alliance fighting Sauron's Army in the opening scene. I was hooked after that, but I did only see it once in theaters.

>"I would have followed you my brother....my captain....my king."
>"I made a promise Mr. Frodo..."
>tfw I had to hide my tears from my family when walking out the theater

i saw each on the them twice in theatres.

As someone who didn't grow up on Lord of the Rings I don't get the appeal

>thought it looked dumb when it came out
>avoided it for years
>see the extended blu ray in 2013
>it's a true 10/10 classic

I.......I'm sorry

Hi. It was great, got me into fantasy shit.

I saw it three times in theaters. Blew 12 year old me away

It was one of the only times fantasy was done right.
You have to remember in the late 90's it wasn't cool to be a "nerd" yet, so having something like this be admired and liked by pretty much everyone was new and novel as well.
Are you too young or too old btw?
If you're young you might remember the critical and popular reaction to The Dark Knight, LOTR was like that only bigger.

I took my 6 year old son. He stressed to the breaking point during the Moria door scene. I said, "Hold fast, son." And he did.

>If you're young you might remember the critical and popular reaction to The Dark Knight, LOTR was like that only bigger.
and unlike TDK, it was actually good

ebin, simply ebin

yes, i saw it within the first week it came out with my mom and grandma

thanks, I try

>Being over 22 and still hanging around on Sup Forums

long-term memory forms around age 3-4, so someone around age 18-19 could presumably have seen it in theaters and still remember it

I remember shitting myself at scary Bilbo when i was 9 yes

I saw it without reading the books or knowing about it and when it ended I was just thinking what the hell, what happens?

I remember the first movie I watched at 2 years old, just barely though.

I did I did. what do I win.

GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD YOU PLEB TODDLER

There are many of us here. 54 checking in.

I'd never heard of it before and had no idea it was related to The Hobbit.

My dad kept telling us we're going to see it and he'd already got tickets so if we didn't go then we'd have to stop at home on our own with no PlayStation and no TV and we'd have to pay him for the ticket. God damn am I glad I was a stingy shit who couldn't bear to give him £5.

I started high school in 2002 and the biggest questions when meeting new friends were "Which football team do you support?" and "Who's your favourite LOTR character?" My best mate and I got along solely based on our love of LOTR and The Simpsons.

Nothing you get nothing

I remember some guy said "Mr. Anderson" in a smith voice when hugo weaving came on screen and feeling pissed about him talking in the movie, but lol'ing at the same time

>when you felt actual emotional responses from a movie
Those were the days.

Saw it with an ex girlfriend, first session on Boxing Day. I stil remember holding her hand during the Moria scene when the orcs drums start beating, she was shaking like a leaf from fear.

I saw it and couldn't believe what i was seeing on the big screen. That Moria action sequence man...

Mom took us to see each one in the theater on Christmas Eve.

>Not watching all three because your dad read The Hobbit in school

Twice.

The only instance I've ever seen here of people cheering during a film, when Aragorn finally beats the Orc leader and cuts off his head, there was a moment of cheer and then some kid yelled "GO ON, STRIDER!", to which people laughed.

2nd movie was objectively the best

Did you leave your hand open palmed on her armrest for hours on end?

Can we blame the success of LOTR for the plague of franchise films we endure today?

For you

No.

Noo

retarded

saw it with my dad. we left half way.

i cried. that shit was beautiful.

Given there are many other franchises in film, most predating LOTR (the films), no.

What started it then? The Matrix?

I literally held in my piss for hours which made the mines of Moria all the more intense

lmao

I got my parents to take me to that shit 4 times. I remember my dad took me to see Snow Dogs but it was sold out so we saw this instead.

Of course there were other franchises.
But the model became entrenched at the turn of the century.

Saw all 3 of them opening weekend. Truly a glorious experience

Stars wars

Probably Star Wars, Jaws, Bttf

It's been a gradual process, but it started long before LOTR films were made

Probably Star Wars in 1977.

My ticket was $4.50

Did a little squeeze out when the bridge was collapsing as they ran across it?

We may blame Indiana Jones and starwarzz

All films world premiere senpai.

Nothing is as comfy as being covered by a blanket drinking hot cocoa watching LOTR extended with your dad while it's snowing outside.

That's probably perception based on your age. There were defs more franchises in the 2000s than the 90s, but there were more in the 90s than the 80s, more in the 80s than the 70s, etc.

Was eight at the time, reporting in

ROTK was the first film I ever went to see in the cinema in the morning, rather than afternoon and evening. We booked the earliest showing long in advance, the cinema wasn't even open when we showed up, there was still a huge queue all around the building we were in the middle of.

Magical time.

films get more expensive, box office gets bigger, inevitably franchise films dominate more and more

Harry potter was infinitely more popular, and was of infinitely lower quality than the LOTR films

It was about even with LOTR in popularity, actually. The difference is it ran for 8 films, LOTR only for 3.

Being an early outlying example of a trend isn't the same as starting it.

There wasn't a Star Wars movie every year for half a decade or more.

But now there will be. Thanks Jews.

Hell yeah son! Reporting for duty!

Because it takes time for things to change. It still dates back to Star Wars.

This probably made your mom really sad :(

At the time when both franchises were in theatres together? Lol no. Lotr was slightly more popular as seen by the box office numbers at the time.

Nahh she thought the movies were cheesy

Why didn't you bring her too?
What kind of a shitty son are you?

The movies weren't the point user. They weren't the point.

I didn't.
My mother was a hardcore tolkienfag, she was crying too.

Actually it was Rocky.

It was Godfather 2 lads

I remember went watching it at the very first release in my city with my first girlfriend.
I remember we were being surrounded by nerds dressed as elves, and a guy with an actual armour.
And I remeber the year after when we went watching The Two Towers at the very first and no sign of actual nerds, only normies everywhere

>That great Christmas of 2001-2002 when it meant LOTR and Harry Potter would be out
>Potter broke the streak in 2003 by having 18 months between films instead of a year

Bleh.

I actually did. My father took me, I was only 7 and thought it was very boring.

I want to go back. Sitting in that theater was amazing.

No way to really verify this but yeah I definitely saw the whole trilogy in theaters. I waited years for that bullshit to end. At least it's still better than those fuckin Star Wars prequels

>reading through website about greatest movie death scenes
>boromir not listed

youtube.com/watch?v=GFnWqdoboMM

She died.

Not srs, she didn't see it with me because she didn't want to be in a packed theater, but I was too HYPE to wait

I did and got a bunch of the action figures for christmas.

This
Looking back now these films are really the only thing that my dad, bro and I share a common bond over. 15 years on and we can still sit down and watch the extended editions in complete rapt silence.

you bow to no one..

I ditched class to see RotK.

I was 9 years old, never heard of Lord of the Rings but my Dad took me by surprise. I was blown away.

Went on a date.

Fellowship is the best of the three, could have spent hours of just the Shire, Bree, and the trek to Weathertop alone.

Holy fuck, can't believe it was that long ago. I would have been in the 4th or 5th grade.

I remember my friend's mom wouldn't let him see it cause she said it was too scaryor traumatizing, so my dad took us and said we were going to see Jimmy Neutron.

I saw it in the theater with my dad when I was in middle school. He really wanted to go see it because he read the books as a kid. I didn't even know what Orcs were and he went into this whole description about how fucked up and freaky they were.

It was sort of weird and cool watching him geek out about it at the time because he was a huge jock, martial arts type guy that I never would have expected was into that kind of shit.