Are the critics correct? Is it REALLY that atrocious?

Are the critics correct? Is it REALLY that atrocious?

A show that manages to be fairly good despite having no likable or interesting protagonist must have something going for it.

Yes it's the worst thing ever and certainly not a well-crafted atmosphere-heavy dystopian retro-futuristic love story. Don't watch it or you'll get literal PTSD from the lack of diversity.

it is not atrocious

season 1 had it's moments, but wasn't anything special, season 2 was pretty good. juliana and joe are the weakest parts of the show.

Nazi guy was pretty good

Yeah the lack of diversify is offensive. Its like they killed off all people of color or something.

wtf now I want a nazi dad

>Yeah the lack of diversify is offensive. Its like they killed off all people of color or something.
Wow! No they can't do that

tfw a nazi is a better dad than my own dad

>Perhaps most disappointingly for audiences interested in what a show about a fictional Nazi America might illuminate about current American neo-Nazism, the show's straight-white-male POV is the key to its sociopolitical irrelevance.

really gets the ole noodle working

>Critics are calling it atrocious
Can you be anymore clickbait

How do you judge a show whose supposed antagonists are the best characters?

Then again isn't the dilemma with his gimpy son and the drama with the Nazi supervisor guy supposed to be the beginning of a change of heart?

i dont think smith's story will play out like that, that's just too sappy

He is in very deep. Maybe a tragic Vader-like last-second redemption? Hard to see him go full Nazi dogma mode now.

S1 was ok S2 was kind of meh for me. I like the characters and ubergrubberfuher is top tier Aryan. S2 just kind of seemed like a waste of time to me.

After S1 ended I couldn't wait for S2 and now that I finished S2 I couldn't care less if it goes on from here.

The whole concept seems like such a contrivance to allow Americans to insert themselves into the boots of the freedom fighters instead of their actual role as the imperial dominator. I don't care to give the book or show a chance.

Is this the one where Idris Elba plays hitler.

The rebellion are probably the least likable characters in the show.

I just finished S2 last night and thought it was pretty decent. I'm surprised the critics preferred the first season, as I think S2 was substantially better.

I think the show's biggest flaw is that it expects the average viewer to be a history major with a focus on WWII and to apply a lot of critical thinking to everything we see in it. Now, to me - a history major with a focus on WWII - it's great, but I think a lot of reviewers don't "get it." The writers feel that they don't need to hammer a political message about the horrors of Nazism home every time we see them onscreen, because they expect us to already know all about the Nazis and what made their ideology bad, and that leaves them free to explore the personal conflicts of individual people who happen to be Nazis. Unfortunately I think a lot of reviewers come to this show looking for constant political allegory and get upset when they don't find it.

I suspect there's a lot of nuance about the historical characters that gets missed, too. To somebody who knows a lot about Heydrich, Goebbels, Himmler, etc., it's really interesting to see them portrayed in the show. The series does basically nothing to explain who these people are if you don't already know it, though.

Trust me, it's not like that at all. The freedom fighters are more like radical terrorists than heroes in this series. They're definitely not insert fodder.

witnessed

I read the book, and the conclusion of it was that the Axis actually DID lose the war and the characters live in some bizarre illusive reality.
Hope the viewers enjoy that ending after however many seasons Amazon decides to shit out.

i'm not a history major but i didn't have a problem following the show, but then again i've read and watched a lot of stuff about ww2

but yea, i'm guessing the average person doesn't even know who heydrich is. you're right though, the show isn't really explaining much to people who don't know much about the nazis

should i start this show guys?

wtf there's a season 2? how come ain't nobody told me

it came out friday you dunce

Amazon has changed so much that I don't think we can expect anything from the book.

Besides, they're so invested in making the show a ride full of surprises and twists that letting the book spoil the ending would be out of character for the show writers.

S1 was better simply because the political intrigue was better.
S2 there is barely any since Hortler dies and Joes dad doesnt get to start the war. Also they exposed TMIHC making him dumb as shit, shows going to shit.

My problem with this show is it feels like it doesn't go anywhere I haven't watched the second season yet but the first felt like the characters never really progressed.

W-Wolverines?!

Most of the characters progress in s2 but the story isn't as good. It's because the showrunner left early on.

i can appreciate the nuance of the characters, but they go too far trying to place everyone in a moral grey area. a show about badass freedom fighters fucking up Nazis would be entertaining, yet bland, and I understand why they don't want to go for something so in your face and that they want to show that the people are more than just their affiliations.

But it's bad writing when I dislike a majority of the resistance characters and enjoy watching the characters in the Nazi party. And I'm Jewish ffs.

>But it's bad writing when I dislike a majority of the resistance characters and enjoy watching the characters in the Nazi party. And I'm Jewish ffs
Maybe you were a capo in a past life.

>But it's bad writing when I dislike a majority of the resistance characters and enjoy watching the characters in the Nazi party. And I'm Jewish ffs.

I'm actually right there with you, part Jewish myself too.

That's actually one of the things I like most about the show, though. It manages to effectively challenge my preconceptions and make interesting, even somewhat likable, characters out of the ones who'd normally be black and white badguys, but without glorifying the Nazi ideals themselves. I can forgive some of the writers' foibles because I know how razor thin of a line they're trying to walk with this show.

One thing I really did think was weird about the show, though, was that half of the plot of this season was basically irrelevant. We had major arcs that really didn't go anywhere, and the same ending could've happened without them. I'm trying not to spoil anything, but you probably know what I'm talking about. Maybe they'll make sense in S3 though, similarly to how much of S2 explained things from S1.

It's way too nice to the Nazis and the protagonists are unlikeable faggots.
It's not just because I'm a Nazi, right?

How about instead of nitpicking, you find regular reviews by non-faggy retards? You faggots sound exactly like the pieces of shit you complain about.

Anyways, I only saw the first episode but I was drunk and sort of wandered off to other shows on amazon. Does anything go anywhere or does it sort of end up nowhere? I don't want to invest time in a show that does that. I saw the first season of Helix cause it looked interesting but after the first season I found out it got canceled and wasted my time.

You can skip like half of the first season without missing anything, they literally just dick around in the Neutral Zone for three or four episodes. The second season is gud though.

Are you full aryan, Sup Forums?

You can't be part Jewish. You're either a Jew or you're not.

Yes.
>tfw your grandfather was a genealogy autist and traced your heritage back for generations
>tfw you can literally just say "not me lol" when some kayak says "b-but you're american, you're not REALLY white"

Actually, it probably is. The show is written with the idea that there's already been plenty done in the world to establish the Nazis as ultimate bad guys and that they don't need to keep making that idea clear, and so can instead focus on the personal stories of a few morally grey people inside the machine.

Approaching the show with a positive perception of the Nazis would definitely change everything.

I think there are also a lot of things that the writers will assume seem negative enough to most viewers - forced uniformity and conformity, traditional gender roles, racial and physical discrimination, etc. - but to a Sup Forums type those all might seem like virtues instead.

That depends on who you ask. I'm not Jewish according to Jewish law. Were I in Nazi Germany I'd be a Mischling.

Triggered

best character coming through

I'm not sure if I even agree that he is a character.

I wish the Japs put her grandma in a ditch :^)