Which will win a FIFA World Cup first?

Which will win a FIFA World Cup first?
Mighty USA or Potent China?

China doesnt even have fresh air

Ask Canada

Unironically it will be the US.

We'll never have the top talent in the world, but we always overachieve because we have some fight in us. Once the US consistently produces mid level talent (like say Croatia), we'll win it.

I agree with this, but China almost made winning a WC a State priority, and we all know what happens when they get serious about something (like Olympics, nuclear program, aircraft carriers, etc.)

No dumbass i go outside with a jar, fill it up, then make a huge profit by branding it as mountain air and selling it to the chinks

The American way

Pulisic = World Cup

Mexico

So when they get to play in the fresh free air of Qatar their mutant lungs will be twice as strong as puny American ones

I think the US is more likely just because of its head start. The US started its domestic league in 1996, China didn't start its league until a few years ago.

fyi china u-23 defeated japan u-23 their nt might be getting better at football

If you could then China would have it, 7 Eleven is an institution in Asia.

US is still no where near winning it despite decades of head start while Chinks built a much better league out of nothing in couple years, which is bound to improve their players. Now that their government made it an official goal, it's very likely to happen in the next 2-3 decades.

t. Chang Lederhosen
Just because the Chinese spend billions on over the hill European players to draw attention to their shitty league doesn't mean they have any actual domestic growth.

>Just because the Chinese spend billions on over the hill European players to draw attention to their shitty league
That's what you guys do. They spend billions on promising European and South American players, with some being over the hill. Obviously the league alone doesn't guarantee domestic growth but the way the party runs the country it's just a question of time. The benefit of authoritarian regimes, is that they usually managed to get shit done. As they record shows.

Just like you they don't really have a footballing culture but they have the means to establish one easy due the control and trust of the citizens. If you have hundreds of millions of kids playing football and coached by skilled people, eventually you find enough very good players to form a good team.

Purposeful use of almost unlimited amounts of money, tends to have results.

Drunk russia

I didn't realize that china recently had youth players at Dortmund, Liverpool, Barca, arsenal, bayern, Porto, Chelsea, schalke (x2) and spurs

Canada

Robot footballers don't work. China will never win anything. Look how hard they have tried in the last decade and they have nothing to show for it. They can barely compete with Uzbekistan.

The US will be a perennial contender by 2030.

Neither of them will win it in our life-time anyways so why bother.

They started too early for that but unless your youth players manage more than "being a promising talent" it's all irrelevant. Ukraine or fucking Norway had some promising young players too, neither will win shit anytime soon.

I agree that potential is far from equal to results, but that's a pretty diverse smattering of talent in top clubs that should yield at least a few strong players to compliment our solid guys over the next 2-3 cycles. In the off chance they all come through, we'd at least have a puncher's chance

Only problem I see with China is that football is very different than sports like diving and gymnastics. It's not robotic. You have to have some creativity. That's not China's thing. There's a reason they haven't produced a decent player ever.

Asians aren't good athletes. Face it.

>Robot footballers don't work

/thread

fatty

Pinche Mexico

>while Chinks built a much better league
Have they, though? It's true that they have a handful of South American players, but the bulk of the league is Chinese guys not good enough to play for the 200th best NT in the world. MLS has a pretty solid population of CONCACAF NT players, which is nothing amazing of course but at least they aren't complete jokes.

Well, yeah, for the next two or three world cups, your chances definitely look much better with the team you're having while "work in progress" is almost an overstatement for Chinese situation NOW. Just it's very, very doubtful that you're going to win shit in that period while with more time passing, their strategy is very likely to bring results, based on their past record with somewhat similar challenges.

On the other hand it is a team sport, so at least that's covered and a somewhat similar Soviet Union managed to build great teams. Also while the creativity thing is partly true, I think people underrate them at that. It's a lot more repressed there but should be sufficient enough to kick a ball.

Well, it's a bit like ghetto La Liga and EPLel. MLS got more constant quality but it's basically 3rd league tier in Europe and Chinese league got the better players, some that would be relevant in first leagues in Europe, just very few of them.

Concacrap is a joke though.

MLS is vastly superior to China. VASTLY

>I agree with this, but China almost made winning a WC a State priority, and we all know what happens when they get serious about something (like Olympics, nuclear program, aircraft carriers, etc.)
Yeah: they beat everybody but the US.

>implying little ching chong men will ever beat real people

China isn't going to be able to steal Brazil's patents on how to play football m8

Faker nr 1 mid laner

usa

I think I may comment on this with not the most relevant news, but with all the debt being racked up by Chinese clubs in the CSL, CL1 and CL2, MLS has a little Power Play advantage that could only last for a few years, so the MLS has to capitalize on this advantage in some way. They can pull some of the big players playing in China (Carlos Tevez, Oscar, Axel Witsel and some others) to MLS teams, most likely LAFC, LA Galaxy or some other weak club this season, maybe a NASL club if they have to. Raul has made the move to the Cosmos before. Or they can maybe invest on home-grown players or just advertise the clubs to Chinese fans to garner more support or youth loanees from the 3 Chinese leagues, which could expand on to the NASL and the USL. This, of course, leads to the US having a small competitive advantage in youth development, but nothing can beat Xi's plan unless the Chinese government agencies can't pay for the footy schools and the mandated program, the US somehow investing in a even better version of China's youth development (Maybe extra footy schools allocated by state population,) or the likes of Barcelona, Ajax and Bayern opening up good football academies in the US (I think Liverpool has a academy in my home state to be honest.)

If nothing changes, China will win the World Cup before the Yanks.

Of course USA. Wealthier, better infrastructure, facilities, etc. Better athletic gene pool to choose from.

>China almost made winning a WC a State priority

This is irrelevant really. The US itself has shown that you can't falsely just engineer top level success in football. It takes an organic culture for it, a real strong interest in the youth as a whole to be passionate about football and practice it from their youngest years.

The US's "project 2020" thing failed. Despite the strides its taken, the US still doesn't really care about football. It's still the fifth most popular team sport overall, (maybe 4th over hockey in some regions).

*project 2010

china

I just don't see China getting anywhere near a World Cup final in our lifetime. They've been called a sleeping giant in football for a long time and still only qualified once in their already weak AFC zone.

The only shot they have is bribing their way there - kinda like Qatar is doing. In the handball world cup, Qatar even bribed their its to the finals, one refball victory at a time. Let's see if they can take it all in the FIFA world cup in 2022.

As far as becoming world champs through skill is concerned, it'd definitely be the USA before China.

This isn't communist China anymore, though

What was this "project 2010"?
Ok, USA aren't on par with say, the 8 best. But they are definitively progressing.
If tomorrow it's England v USA, you couldn't say USA as losers (not that England is a good team tho)

You mean apdo.

Sad that he never went pro.

Beijing should just give up and let Hong Kong run China from now on. No more of this "Communist' bullshit

they could just breathe on our players and the cloud of smog in the Chinese lungs will knock our guys out

Compared to AFC, it's elite. Other than the cheating Koreans in 2002, AFC teams have never performed in the WC. I don't even think any of the 4 teams they got in in 2010 won a game.

Having lived in China for a bit (just returned home), there's no way they'll qualify for, much less win, a World Cup anytime soon.

There simply isn't enough room for fields in most cities, whenever I played a pick-up game I had to compete with five other games on the same field while old dudes smoked cigarettes while playing, and random people just walking through the middle of a game because nobody in that country cares about anyone other than their immediate family and themselves. The interest is there but you have to go out into the boonies to find a real field, and then you can only really play comfortably when the air quality isn't awful.
Sporting coverage in China is dominated by the NBA as basketball courts and hoops are EVERYWHERE, but I will say the CSL is picking up steam, although I think the government realized these corporately-owned clubs were buying up foreigners to get money out of China, so it could slow right back down again. Like others have said, I don't think China can engineer athletes for a team like they've done for every other individual Olympic sport, and they have even fewer good players abroad than they did when they qualified in 2002 (Sun Jihai etc.). Sure they've beaten South Korea recently, but they also drew with Hong Kong TWICE in the past two years. Unless they can get some talent abroad, they're going to continue to make up the numbers in AFC.

thanks for your quality input.
Where you in the north, or in the south? It looks like football is more a thing of south China, rather than north
Anyway yes, for Olympics Chinese pick their best hopes and train them to death, while to have a good football team, you must have a good "pyramid" (aka plenty of different levels of leagues throughout the country).
For a country, gitting gud at football is a herculean task

Around the time we hosted the 94 world cup and MLS was founded, US Soccer wanted to challenge for the world cup in 16 years or in 2010. Hence they started "Project 2010" and began to finance a national team academy and find American talent through "Generation adidas".

While we never came close, we did develop most of our good players in that national team academy. Donovan, Dempsey, Howard, Beasley and some others came from that academy and they had modest careers in europe and in the national team so it wasn't a complete waste of time. Sadly, MLS is still a fucking joke so all our relevant youth talents are going to Europe (which is a good thing)

Worst Korea and Japan advanced to the round of 16 in 2010.