Daily Japanese Thread - DJT # 1883

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese, things you like/hate about the language, goals, etc.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/en/gmod/contents/explanation/040.html
hiramatu-hifuka.com/onyak/onyak2/josuindx.html
jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/cdslist_e_all.pdf
eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=力ずくで押し切る
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wait i'm looking at the feedback page and noticed that it said stuff were deleted? Did anything happen to the guide in the past couple months?

That happened forever ago.

I forgot to save the .psd before going to bed, but here's my second try.

No, but if you look attentively you can see that it's slanting to the right.
I just try to offset the slant when I notice it.

Do you just Again anything you can't remember instantly?

>Average answer time: 3.6s (16.9 cards/minute)
Yup

Is studying like that detrimental at all? As my daily reviews continue to climb higher I find myself considering doing that.

And what's your All time or Past year retention (whichever is the most relevant)?

Tak the following example sentences:
>why did I even come here?
>do you even like this?
What would be the most appropiate translation for "even"?

I don't know about the detriments. I find that instant recall is what you should be aiming for all the time. It simulates using the language better. I.e. during a conversation, listening, reading, jlpt, etc.
You don't have 20 seconds to recall the definition of a passing word irl.

All time: 82.3%
I generally aim for 80% since i prefer doing more new cards than having higher retention.

Trading some retention for speed is probably not a bad trade. Are you doing 10k?

>I'm deliberately looking for words to associate with each kanji, yeah. But sometimes it's a real stretch. Like for 餐 (repast) I have 聖餐, the rite of Holy Communion.
for 餐, I have 晩餐, which came from reading 三ツ星カラーズ

>On the plus side I've been killing it with people's names lately.
how do you review those, like normal vocab?

俺は一体なぜここに来たんだ
そもそもここが好きなのか?

Wake up /djt/

Post what you're reading.
I've just finished ゆるゆり10巻, and I have some LN coming in the mail. I'm picking up このすば because it looks pretty simple, and I'm guessing having seen the anime will help me not get lost.

Today went better than expected, didn't flunk as many cards as I thought at first.

Ah, the thrill of the beginning.
Savor it whie it lasts.

I hope the grind doesn't get significantly worse, not sure if I'll be able to keep up once the semester starts.

It does get muc, much worse. If it gets too time consuming, just decrease the number of new cards.

We'll see. I spend about a little lass than an hour for each session, which to me seems like I'm going at a bad pace but I don't now what the standard is.

I only started taking an hour to do my reviews at the end of my first 30-ish days, but I did try to learn the language before so that's not a great reference.

Anki while studying for uni is pretty hard. Good luck, try to stay motivated. I spent about three years stuck doing 5 new cards/day.

Don't be me.

>Post what you're reading.
GA 芸術科アートデザインクラス
only just started reading it and didn't read at all yesterday
it is like スケッチブック but more chaotic
in the first dozen pages it threw out truckload of illustration and other random words and I ended up spending a fair bit of time looking them up online, for further context since the mangaka assumes the reader is already familiar with all that
it was eye opening to learn a little about the Chinese zodiac system when looking up the phrases 戌年 and 干支 were thrown out
there was an episode all about this in Cowboy Bebop, as well as a joke in Azumanga Daiou

related question: is 潔ぎいい in this page a different form of 潔よい?

>潔よい
or 潔さがいい

Yes, you noticed that it said stuff were deleted.
Don't worry, though, it's from even before the split.

あんまりのり出すと危ないぞー
What does this sentence mean? What does とmean in this context?

If. If you lean out too far, it's dangerous.

What does the past tense of the ている form mean? Would していた mean has been doing?

It's a conditional to, that has a more immediate/factual consequence than a potential/subjective one.

ていった*

It just means there was an ongoing state

第10巻*

I'm not yet done with 6k, but yes, I'm going to expand to 10k once I'm finished

していた・していました
think of it as "was/were doing X"
走った・走りました・ran
走っていた・走っていました・was running
unironically this page on English grammar is good for understanding the Japanese perspective coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/en/gmod/contents/explanation/040.html

Ah shite.
Is there some good resource that expands a bit more on numbers than TK?

hiramatu-hifuka.com/onyak/onyak2/josuindx.html

I've been learning Japanese for just over a week now. What are some things that I can add to my studying routine? I feel like the progress I'm making is slow and genuine, but I can't help but feel that I'm not doing enough.

Right now all I really do is review hiragana and katakana in Anki. I get very few cards a day and it takes me less than 20 minutes to complete both sets. My printer is still broken so I haven't been able to practice (let alone learn) writing of any kind.

I guess the next step is to learn kanji, but I've yet to get a physical copy of The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course.

trolling?

No. Any actual advice would be appreciated, though.

オッケーです
>My printer is still broken so I haven't been able to practice (let alone learn) writing of any kind.
ballpoint pen and ordinary lined paper
>but I've yet to get a physical copy of The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course.
use a pdf and/or an Anki deck, both are in the CoR
start reading a grammar guide; Tae Kim or Japanese: the Manga Way are examples
pick up a vocab deck

failing that, try Spanish

自閉症

A word that seemed complicated a few months back is now elementary. I don't even need to mine it, since it shows up often enough on DJT!

Can someone explain the amount of fluency each JLPT level ensures? use examples

jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/cdslist_e_all.pdf

thanks

Let's suppose it's English:

>N5
heroo hawayu aim fain sankyu
>N4
YOU GO ME STAY FOR WATCH CAR, NO PROBREM, GO AND BUY HAMBURGA TO WE WE HUNGRY LIKE BIRD IN DESERT MY FRIEND
>N3
hello Sup Forums i am look for employ in US cos can't get job in mi country i already speak english a lot good but have no other talents only languages cos its real easy you know? you think i can travel the US and working there?
>N4
Lol look at all the stupid americans know only one language. Now that I know english I will learn japanese because thats a real hard language. I only feel bad for dumb burguers who are on their twenty's and haven't learn other languages yet like me.
>N5
Well, I finally know for what punctuation is used and don't make as many mistakes connecting sentences, but I still will sometimes piece together things on a strange order or use vocabulary that is non natural for a fluent.

As for speaking, it'll still be a trainwreck, being protected behind a screen makes things very easy.

explain that again using food analogies

Are these threads usually like this?

>N5
Sushi and mayo.
>N4
Palmeto and cheesecake.
>N3
Spaghetti with lots of olive oil and coconut candy.
>N2
A really fat burger, Diet Coke.
N1
French fries, grilled chicken, rice and beans. Lemon soda.

could you explain this with anime analogies?

まあ、ここに比べれば、オタク度 degree of weeb が高い/jp/の方がまし

>N5
Your favorite anime
>N1
My favorite anime

What if we had the same favorite?

>納得していないようだ。
>やはり力技では押し切れないか。
Is 力技 talking about effort here? Like "After all that work, she's still not convinced"?

I guess we can't convince her through brute force.

>持ってっちゃって邪魔だから
Is ちゃって being used for a completed action here? So it would literally translate to "I've finished holding it (I'm not using it) and it's a nuisance so .. (you can take it)".

Or is it an unintentional action? Not sure if you can use it in this way but it would translate to something like: "I'm (unintentionally) holding it and it's a nuisance so .. (you can take it)".

How do you tell 甘草( かんぞう) from 甘草( あまくさ) without furigana?

Where have you come across あまくさ that was 甘草 instead of 天草?

>Japanese regularly write/say 本当 as ほんと

I'm disappointed.

力技≒力ずく

by force

Previous context doesn't note any means of actual force, is it just considering to possibility? This would conflict with やはり wouldn't it?

力技とは強引で愚直な手段のこと
もともと柔道の用語
そこでは、「無理遣りにしたのでは押し切れない」ということ
甘草は「かんぞう」
天草が「あまくさ」
関東地方の方言
「持ってっちゃって」=「持っていってしまって(くれ)」
典型的な未来完了の文章です
ただ、英語の未来完了で訳す必要はない
it means "Carry it out"

my explanation was not clear enough.

”力ずくで押し切る” is one of idiomatic expressions. 慣用表現

eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=力ずくで押し切る

Thank you. So it can also be an aggressive/upfront stance on urging someone, from what I'm understanding.

How should i translate the word "unarmed" (as in unarmed robbery/combat)?

you're welcome :)

It implies a negative meaning.
I noticed that a good result was not obtained by the forcible means.
Is he making advances to a girl?
非武装

>印象を受けない事はなかった

Does double negative make a positive here?
"Unimpressed was not"?

二重否定で
「印象を受けない事はなかった」=「常に印象を受けた」

Google翻訳を使用するのは明らかですか?

はい、見え見えです
「明らか」は不自然だと思います

そして「使用する」より「使用して(い)る」がお勧めです

one thing that really bothers me about japanese is the severe lack of sarcasm and insults/curse words

There is no lack.

>severe lack of sarcasm
I'm not too sure about that, there is at least an abundance of irony.
>and insults/curse words
Spend a day on 2channel or Futaba and try to repeat that statement.

For some reason there's this misconception that it doesn't, I had a grammar book that said the same thing.
Does anyone here know where that came from btw?

just my personal observation really, for example the tough/bad guys in movies will roll the R's really hard and sound like clowns, but that's about it

It comes from not knowing Japanese and consuming terrible translations into English.

so when do you hear the japanese equivalents of motherfucker, asshole, bitch, whore, faggot, pussy, fucker, retard, idiot, son of a bitch, dipshit, homo, dickhead etc....
they have similar words but not the same swearing culture

Literally all the fucking time. You don't know Japanese.

western societies use them much more casually

They don't.

they do

They don't, and you don't know enough Japanese to understand that they do in fact cuss just as much as "western societies".

you have no idea what my japanese skills are
just because you read some manga where they actually do swear doesn't mean that the rest of them does

I do know what your Japanese skill level is. The fact that you have this insane of a misconception about how Japanese people speak says everything.

I'm reading light novels so I guess that should give you an impression

I don't think I came across a curse word yet that explicitly insults the mother of the opponent, in germany we have "Hurensohn" for example

Congratulations, you're reading books meant for actual children. Of course there's going to be tame language in them.

I'm not only reading light novel of course.... fuck it, why am I even talking to you, you're just another burger who vastly overestimates his own abilites

Incredible. Not only are you retarded, you're racist, too.

American isn't a race. The word you're looking for is "prejudice"

How i can translate this?
むこうに気付かれないよう.そうっと覗いてみる
むこう in that case - opossite side.

I know, what 気付かれない is something like "unnoticed", but it doesn't make sense

No, it's closer to not bothering the others.
~not making them take notice of you

Although that sounds like something a Peeping Tom says.

Posts arguing about the existance or not of cussing in Japanese: 19 (not including this one)
Japanese cussing posted so far: 0

せめて例を挙げてみてね?お前らのファック野郎。

>~not making them take notice of you
That make sense. Thank

WHO /DECKLORD/ HERE?

>NEVER LET REVIEWS GET HIGHER THAN 10 PERDAY IN A SINGLE DECK
>MAKE A NEW DECK AND START USING IT IF REVIEWS GET OVER 10 PER DAY
>HAVE OVER 700 DECKS WITH 8000 MINED WORDS
>GET TO GO THROUGH EACH DECK AND DO TWO OR THREE REVIEWS EACH DAY IF ANY
>CAN RECALL THE DECK ID IT'S IN WHEN I SEE A WORD OUT IN THE WILD

So this is the power of ankidrones....woah

Shut the fuck up cracker and post cuss words

すごいですね

I have a limitation of 10 decks too.
Everytime I reach over 10 reviews on 10 decks I install a new instance of Anki.

If I reach 10 Ankis I have to install a new operating system (or use another device). Things are getting out of hand.