If Chester had killed himself after this album his death would've been bigger than Kurt Cobain's

If Chester had killed himself after this album his death would've been bigger than Kurt Cobain's

No

I can't argue against it

It would be even less relevant.
When Meteora came out, most grown ups were making fun of Linkin Park and its tween fans.
Now that the LP fans are actually older, and the guys who used to make fun of them don't even care anymore because too busy with adult life, people took Chester's death more seriously and emotional.
It would have been simply a joke if it happened back then.

it would have been a mess especially with the scene kids around then

His band at that point in time was bigger than Nirvana at the time of Cobain's death, but Cobain was also a big name in trashy gossip magazines, and Chester himself didn't really have a celebrity name so it's difficult to say.

yeah kurt was definitely tabloid big...

i remember seeing "KURT AND COURTNY'S ALIEN BABY EXPOSED!" tier shit at the checkout lines

if he had done it after Hybrid Theory, maybe.

If you remember, Meteora was a period when the band was already being accused to being an industry plant and that they had producers writing songs, to the point where they started doing "making of" documentaries because they were tired of the accusations.

Whether that was true or not (from what I've seen, their producer deserves as much credit for their sound and especially the lyrics which forced them to write over and over because they were subpar), Linkin Park was already a meme by the time Meteora released.

To be honest, I never thought of Linkin Park as edgy at all. The only reason why I believe they were hated was because they were associated with the nu metal scene, predominantly listened to by suburban mallcore teenagers. Linkin Park actually had the potential to make music beyond that silly genre, and delve into more experimental, avant-garde rock or metal, or even just indie rock itself. They unfortunately wasted that, and unwillingly got placed into that genre, along with Deftones.

However, their lyrics foreshadowed his untimely demise much earlier than we could fathom. We merely brushed aside them, seeing it as mere teenage angst (for whatever reason), and never took them seriously enough.

Now, we live in a world where sentient thoughts/genuine emotions have become extinct, replaced with ironic "dank" memes and jejune comedy as mere facades. Don't misinterpret me; I enjoy those types of humor as much as the next Sup Forums/Redditor out here, but not if it means throwing out everything that made us humans in the first place.

hybrid theory - 8/10
reanimation - 10/10
meteora - 7/10
minutes to midnight - 5/10
a thousand suns - 7.5
living things - 9/10
the hunting party - 6.5/10
one more light - 5/10

No, actual grown ups didn't pay attention to this nonsense.
Angry teens loved LP and other angry teens made fun of them. Just like any huge band there are as many people that hate them as there are that love them.

>minutes to midnight - 5/10
I feel like i'm the only one to truly love that album. everywhere I go people say it's mediocre and shit, but it aged pretty well.

Pretty sure my then 20 year old older sister who was into The Cure and Depeche Mode and her friends made fun of my 14 year old self who listened to LP

Tell that to Drowning Pool.

>listening to anything after hybrid theory
and the only reason i had that shit was because i was a chirren who didn't know any better

Are you kidding me? I loved Minutes to Midnight; it's their most artistic album they've ever made, and one of the best Alt. Rock/Art Rock records of the 2000s! It starts off wallowing in pure anger and failure, then perfectly shifts into bitter melancholy and utter despair. The last half of their album (In Pieces, Valentine's Day and The Little Things Give You Away specifically) end off as some of LP's most phenomenal work, along with their most humanistic statements yet.

you probably weren't even allowed to use this site legally a year ago. quit worrying about pleasing a board full of people who pretend to enjoy music, and instead listen to things that actually sound good. hybrid theory has more artistic integrity than 9/10 albums on any Sup Forums chart. you are not any more cultured for pretending not to like it.

women are children

i'm too old to be here. and i think most of what appears on Sup Forums charts is garbage, too.

You're thinking of Fred Durst. Peak Bizkit was far more culturally significant to 1999 than peak Linkin Park was to 2003

Hybrid Theory is still the best selling Nu Metal album of all time (27 million copies), while Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish only sold about 10-15 million. And plus, In The End alone is much more memorable and popular than any of Limp Bizkit's songs.

no it isn't lol

Numb was bigger than any LB song too.
But Durst was an actual celebrity, everyone knew him, even people that didn't listen to his music.

you said memorable
i can remember every linkin park song but can also remember every limp bizkit song much more vividly.

>i
there's your problem

it's likely that way for most people because of how simplistic linkin park's instrumentals and song structures are but ok. generic doesn't stick too good in the head.

This isn't about how their personas influenced pop culture; this is about how their actual music influenced so. Fred Durst might have been notorious for his "wiggery," but his music barely caught on as anything more than an embarrassment. While In The End received its fair share of hatred, it still had more prevalence to both rock music and mainstream culture than any LB song. And plus, LP had more longevity as well. I'd say that from Significant Other to Chocolate Starfish, Limp Bizkit had perhaps 2 or 3, maybe 4 years of popularity, then died off after Results May Vary. Linkin Park was instantly popular with Hybrid Theory and Meteora, then continued their mainstream relevance with Minutes to Midnight, which contained "What I've Done," a pretty recognizable hit from them. "Burn it Down" revitalized their popularity again because of its commercial play, so from 2000-2012 (sans their hiatus), they had about 10 years in which they were a popular band.

Limp bizkit's rocking the house! No LP soyboy to cry about now.

As a 20 year old girl, most 20 year olds are still teenagers. A few are adults.

lmao, are you fucking serious?

I like it a lot

Even my father likes it

could you form a coherent thought before asking facetious questions

Could you?
Since when is simplicity not more memorable or successful commercially and culturally in popular music?
Even if it's not, it's a silly assumption that LP is less memorable just because it's that way for you. I couldn't get away from LP when I was young I hated them, Behind Blue Eyes was the only LB song that I heard regularly. My exp is irrelevant too.
More people bought LP singles and albums and they're going to remember that.
And how is LB not simple as fuck too lmao

>And how is LB not simple as fuck too lmao
the riffs are more unconventional
the bass is actually audible and intertwines with the riffs to make intricate rhythm sections
the dynamic range is better and makes every sound pop
DJ lethal does a lot more than mr. hahn
john otto can actually keep a funky beat while rob bourbon plays kick snare kick snare with simple fills
limp bizkit occasionally plays in odd time signatures and doesn't always follow the copy/paste copy/paste verse/chorus verse/chorus pattern

limp bizkit is basically a progressive metal band wrapped in a nu metal box. linkin park is just downtuned pop rock with some turntable scratching. maybe listen to some more music first sweetie ;)

Limp Bizkit merely utilizes generic funk and hip hop patterns in their songs without delving into anything remotely interesting. With You, Figure.09 and Breaking the Habit experiment much more into Ambient, Trip Hop and even Noise territory, and employs much more dynamic range than anything of Limp Bizkit's, and Cure for the Itch, Session, and Nobody's Listening each utilize much more intricate production and layers than any of Lethal's uninspired Hip-Hop undertones. Limp Bizkit isn't even remotely comparable to Linkin Park. Where are the Electronic meets Art Rock undertones in their songs? Has Fred Durst ever written anything deeper or more intricate than My Way or Re-Arranged? Can you honestly say any of LB's albums have any sort of creativity (if you can, then you're a fucking idiot who should have all of your music opinions be disregarded). Linkin Park is infinitely better than any Nu Metal band of the era, besides Deftones (but they're more Alternative Metal, with elements of Shoegaze/Dream Pop).

you had me going for a bit but deftones is just a worse korn that pretends to be artsy so i realized i was being played

Still better than Limp Bizkit.

And good job refuting my points, fag.

you didn't make any points. you just arbitrarily listed a bunch of genres.

Did you even read the picture? And plus, none of your points were even remotely accurate at all. Limp Bizkit has never had any more intricate or interesting riffs whatsoever, and Meteora objectively has a better dynamic range than any Limp Bizkit album.

you aren't even expressing a subjective opinion right now, you're just lying through your teeth because you want a conversation