What happened to music criticism?

When did it become so easy to impress a music critic?

Money always wins in this world

And yet RHCP'S BSSM still has a 7.1, Californication a 6.8, and Stadium Arcadium a 4.7? Fuck all music critics; I'm glad that Sup Forums is invading this board now, so they can save us from believing faggotry like this!!

A little high but the albums fine. I agree with the Independent and that's still being a little strict. 3.5/5 is perfectly fine.

>implying pop music critics (and this includes all pop music, like everything Pitchfork has given BNM since it started) haven't always just been glorified publicists

RHCP's are a fucking god awful boring band that's why

>and this includes all pop music, like everything Pitchfork has given BNM since it started
But they gave that to a lot of indie rock, not pop

This
Whay did you expect out of an industry plant?

I don't listen to anything under 80 anyway, sorry

Nah their early albums are fine.

Meanwhile good electronic music always gets like 3/10

my point is that indie rock is pop music you dunce

What do women mean with that look?

she's pretty hot and her feet look good
it's too bad her music is absolute garbage

General rule - if the musician is attractive, it's gonna be shit.

Who cares about critics? The public opinion rules

Why would you try to make a point that is incorrect? You just look like a tard

When you faggots decided giving 10/10s to pop rap trash and underwhelming indie from upper class plants was normal and applaudable procedure, the doors were opened to this

lmao even pop music stan 'yas queen' gays are widely calling this album trash and you think it deserves a 7/10, really?

You're a fucking idiot. Have you even listened to any RHCP album? Blood Sugar Sex Magik alone is objectively one of the greatest, if not, THE GREATEST, Alternative Rock albums of all time. It marked a pivotal point in their direction, as they divulged in deeper lyricism with poetic and melancholic, yet hedonistic songwriting. Frusciante catapulted their songs with original guitar structure/composition, combining funk and psychedelic with indie rock-esque melodic sensibilities, and with Flea, formed a beautiful synergy that laid the groundwork for their subsequent albums, along with influencing funk metal/alt. metal, rap rock and alt. rock for years to come. And BSSM can be considered an "artistic" record, if you consider an album detailing the idyllic paradise of sexuality, spirituality and the conflicts between hedonistic and stoicism an artistic statement. Granted, they didn't expand on that idea, but it lingers on that territory. OHM deals with the inner turmoil and nihilism that comes with a severe addiction to drugs. Anthony struggles with his isolation from his own mind, as he desperately hopes to find that trapdoor to escape his asylum. The psychedelic atmosphere mixed with heavier undertones convey his hopeless state of meaninglessness; his fragile heart shatters and screams to his demons, wishing he could vanquish them. After Anthony's success with sobriety, he pursues an idyllic character with Californication, as he records his travels and voyages of the world. Each track feels as if he's discovered a new place, with his emotions laid bare on those places (such as the clandestine cynicism in "Californication", to even a new state of tranquility in "Scar Tissue", "Porcelain" and "Road Tripping"). By The Way more or less expands on these ideas in a more personal, individual manner. Anthony contemplates his relationships with people as he tries to discover who he is and his own contribution to the world. BTW is their most humanistic album yet.

As a Sup Forums user I objectively disagree. Every album John touched is amazing.

No I think it deserves a 6 but I'm not gonna freak out about a half star difference because the album is perfectly fine.

good post

And that's what the Independent gave it since there aren't quarter stars.

OP here. Have you guys listened to it yet? Like, I'm not against poptimism at all (I LOVED Swift's last album) but this is absolutely laughable. What are they hearing?

think we just found our new pasta

pop gets critiqued by critics who like pop

Yeah and there is nothing wrong with pop. My problem isn't "pop reviews are too high" my problem is "bad pop album gets lauded for no reason".

Why the fuck are guys talking about RHCP. This is about Camila's overhyped ass.

Because it's absolute bullshit how music critics worship moronic pop musicians and disregard a band that has more artistic merit than these pop singers who will be forgotten in less than a year.

This.

(((critics)))

this is some serious bait

How is it bait, huh? Are you such a pathetic person that you reject songs like Warped, Otherside, Emit Remmus, Cabron, I Could Have Lied, Tearjearker, and Breaking the Girl?

No way you actually took your time to write this

Lmao. Nice pasta. I’m in the mood now to listen to RHCP though desu.

It becomes easier to understand once you remember that critics write their reviews with the music business more or less pointing a gun at their heads.

fpbp

wat

idk stadium arcadium is way too long but pretty comfy

Stadium Arcadium is dog shit, you should count yourself lucky it has a 4.

Readymade alone is 10× better than most Pitchfork approved albums.

nah its has some nice tracks, like said its just full of filler

Post camila pics

>You're a fucking idiot. Have you even listened to any RHCP album? Blood Sugar Sex Magik alone is objectively one of the greatest, if not, THE GREATEST, Alternative Rock albums of all time. It marked a pivotal point in their direction, as they divulged in deeper lyricism with poetic and melancholic, yet hedonistic songwriting. Frusciante catapulted their songs with original guitar structure/composition, combining funk and psychedelic with indie rock-esque melodic sensibilities, and with Flea, formed a beautiful synergy that laid the groundwork for their subsequent albums, along with influencing funk metal/alt. metal, rap rock and alt. rock for years to come. And BSSM can be considered an "artistic" record, if you consider an album detailing the idyllic paradise of sexuality, spirituality and the conflicts between hedonistic and stoicism an artistic statement. Granted, they didn't expand on that idea, but it lingers on that territory. OHM deals with the inner turmoil and nihilism that comes with a severe addiction to drugs. Anthony struggles with his isolation from his own mind, as he desperately hopes to find that trapdoor to escape his asylum. The psychedelic atmosphere mixed with heavier undertones convey his hopeless state of meaninglessness; his fragile heart shatters and screams to his demons, wishing he could vanquish them. After Anthony's success with sobriety, he pursues an idyllic character with Californication, as he records his travels and voyages of the world. Each track feels as if he's discovered a new place, with his emotions laid bare on those places (such as the clandestine cynicism in "Californication", to even a new state of tranquility in "Scar Tissue", "Porcelain" and "Road Tripping"). By The Way more or less expands on these ideas in a more personal, individual manner. Anthony contemplates his relationships with people as he tries to discover who he is and his own contribution to the world. BTW is their most humanistic album yet.

These fucks will overrate something to fuck if the artist is a "oppressed minority". Progressiveism is an other commodity used to sell goods, funny thing is people are tired of this shit. The media are so very out of touch.

shit-tier feet
that's you'll should care about fags

Jesus Christ, have some biscuits mate.

being this newfag

Havana ooh na na
Doop dooby dooby doo Havana ooh na na

Who cares what critics think in an age when you can instantly listen to anything and make your own judgements?

If music critics rubbish an album then the label will often refuse to keep sending them pre-releases.
The whole industry is money driven and dishonest, that's just the way business goes.

lol, what a fucking excuse for your shit taste. Throw this overt pseudo-eloquency away and admit that this is easy-listening alternative crap, will ya.

>As a Sup Forums user
>I objectively disagree
what the fuck

RHCP are shitty nu-male """funk""" alternative. The singer especially is trash.

Lol, how do you even "objectively disagree"? It's not a thing. baka

i wonder how many harvey weinstein type of cocks she had to suck to be top of the pops

she's cute n all, but fuckign music suckz

Somehow, if you right " shaking my head" it goes "baka".
Test: baka

Blame the audience. I'm serious. People want to be told that they are right to like something. It's the same with film criticism. Star Wars doesn't get good reviews because Disney pays reviewers off, it gets good reviews because outlets can't afford to lose their readership (and the ad money they bring) by alienating them. Everyone needs their hand to be held. They can't stand liking things if they think other people dislike them, because we build our identity around the things we consume. People see a negative review, take it as a personal insult and then stop visiting that website.

Only in literature is criticism really still a thing, and that's largely because no one reads any more so there's no point in pandering. Compare The Guardian or The Independent's book reviews to their music/film reviews.

this but unironically

It's the logical conclusion to anti-elitism and "music is subjective" culture

Too much acclaim will eventually give rise to a bigger contrarian backlash, no?

This shithole is the contrarian backlash

Yeah but I said bigger.

Then the answer is no, because that would mean businesses actually making a conscious choice to publish genuinely critical reviews, which I can't see happening. Besides, places like here thrive on actually having something to complain about. Pitchfork gets a lot of clicks from angry contrarians.

Who?

>As a Sup Forums user
Opinion discarded

>I'm glad that Sup Forums is invading this board now, so they can save us from believing faggotry like this!!
I really really really really hope this is bait

que

how come pitpull keeps hitting the top on the billboards??
Who listens to him?

your telling me you like Red Hott Chilli Peppers?

"Music critics" don't care about music and are not music fans. They supply the public with generic reviews of generic pop music to keep the industry of radio friendly alive.

This. Capitalism creates a culture where the things we buy become our identity and music journalism at this point just exists to reaffirm our identity or convince us to go and buy something slightly different. There’s no room for a negative review

>implying there has been any point in the last 20 years where it is not obvious that reviewers are just another arm of publicity
how anyone manager to continue to put any stock in reviews astonishes me

one day you will learn that critics are just another form of advertising media conglomerates employ

its not like these publications are owned by the same conglomerates that put out the music in the first place and that there are only 6 media corporations that own pretty much every subsidiary of significance or anything like that...

the audience is a creation of the media corporations

the audience has no taste, taste is dictated to them by (((media)))

t. Brainlet who shuns good music because of their bandwagon mentality

I bet you can't name one reason why RHCP is a bad band besides Anthony's vocals (which aren't even that bad compared to most of the god-awful alt. rock vocalists of the time, and at times were quite pleasant to listen to).

back to r/latestagecapitalism with you

havana was a bop tho

t.schlomo

What if they actually think its good? Have you considered the possibility that the reviewers aren't 70yo japanese Jazz fans?
Also
>metacritic 77
>independent 3/5
Is your post the opposite of "lets ignore every positive review to shit on an album" post?

They are rating her footgame.

RHCP are pop dude

Pitchfork in particular went full on white guilt sometime in the 2010s

A lot of mundane Trap rappers/Mumble rappers/etc that are basically on par with Nickelback in regards to creativity and innovation get all solid 7s at least.

Pathetic.

Wrong again.

power to the people

>da joos
back to Sup Forums

poptimist ideology really killed music criticism. on the surface, it seems fair: sick of hipster pretentiousness, new critical voices claimed that pop music should be treated and cirticized just as fairly as any other form of music. however, the ideology was always just a guise to slowly allow clickbait articles and shit. there's a direct correlation between the acceptance of pop music as "valuable" by music writers and the amount of tabloid-tier stories being reported on by pitchfork and the av club and shit.

music criticism was always about networking and having the right connections, but now that it's been legitimized, these practices are now being applied to top 40 pop. no one really objected when p4k handed out bnm to the same 4 or 5 labels/whoever was on life or death pr/their friends in the mid to late 2000s because it was still allowing new voices to rise to the top. now that these people have a justification to game the system in the same way for billboard best-sellers in pop and hip hop.any deviation from that nowadays is opportunism and gaining readership by reporting on the culturally relevant.

lastly, a lot of publications justify the endless corporate circlejerk by claiming that pop and hip hop are largely the genres that contain the voices of marginalized people and these voices need to be heard. fair enough, to a certain extent, but i feel like its pretty gross and debatably discriminatory in itself to disregard any deviation of this supposedly rigid genre divide. what about riot grrrl? the very black roots of rock music? the fact that a lot of contemporary electronic music is influenced by disco, which has very black and gay origins. it's all bullshit to make swallowing the load of a corporate handjob easier. it's funny, these people appear to be "progressives" but they have no problem participating in an industry that really only serves the most wealthy. talk about a lack of class consciousness.

>Someone makes a good point
>HURRRRRR CAPITALISM DO YOU GUYS KNOW CHAPO TRAP HOUSE

it's a known fact that most self-proclaimed progressives couldn't care less about class issues because since they are memebers of the upper class, they can't cry ''discrimination!!'' when these topics are brought to the table. Actually they prefer to ignore the suffering of lower classes and focus of the ''misfortunes'' of upper class college white girls, the main consumers of mainstream pop music.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
WORLD IS A FUCK
Fuck these lazy, “lmao just put on a dance track a girl talking some lyrics and some mumblerap here and there and we’re good to go, oh don’t forget to pay the critics” producer kikes.

Moz is too problematic for critics to like him. Even i disagree with what he says, i respect the guy for saying what he thinks instead of what he is allowed to think.

>t. Ian Miles Cheong

>boohoo my favorite trash album was panned for being trashed

The Artist’s Political Stances should never be a reason for a critic to discredit them, seeing as they’re supposed to rate the music itself, not push an agenda.
Fuck off Robert, it was his best since Vauxhall & I.

Funk and punk/hard rock are a tasteless combination. Slap bass is cheesy and makes the macho pseudo-rap vocals even goofier.

Why can Claypool make it work though?

a lot of things about Camila are overhyped, but her ass isn't one of them no bully pls

>Funk and punk/hard rock are a tasteless combination
Horrible statement. The energetic heaviness of hard rock only lied with the guitars to provide a sort of exuberance with it, while the rhythms only were confined to meaningless simplicity. RHCP, as provided by Flea's complexities evolved rock music to an entirely pure atmosphere, where rhythm and melody could coincide together as a beautiful synergy.