Jazz General

Didn’t see one so here you go. I’ve been getting back into Jazz lately and need to expand my scope beyond pic related and whatever they told us was good in high school band class.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!EaAC1KAZ!NpehNkgNU1Ixp6sUIxF6kQ
mega.nz/#F!NTxW3S7L!1BI85dab2J1X9EdR_Sa34A
mega.nz/#F!BDglhYYT!7TqmP06U4ym4e1oXV7_Saw
soundcloud.com/emonlavor/thing
youtube.com/watch?v=R4Xk6b6QD3M
youtube.com/watch?v=NZWS6CITutY
youtube.com/watch?v=X5cXDtu2GKc
youtube.com/watch?v=W985hWD5KYg&ab_channel=camcollector
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

jazz is just minstrel shit, a way for black guys to get white people to pay them to make fart noises

You dig?

I’m starting it right now. Digging so far.

Awesome man, glad you started a Jazz General, I've done the last couple ones. I'm gonna try and keep them going anytime I don't see one.

Here's pic related as another album to check out...

And while I'm at it, another one, with a download link.

mega.nz/#F!EaAC1KAZ!NpehNkgNU1Ixp6sUIxF6kQ

Just to follow myself up even more here...

Here's the download to the JJ/Getz album, the folder has 2 separate concerts with the same set lists and personnel on them, one recorded in mono the other in stereo...
mega.nz/#F!NTxW3S7L!1BI85dab2J1X9EdR_Sa34A

And this is the Isao Suzuki album.
mega.nz/#F!BDglhYYT!7TqmP06U4ym4e1oXV7_Saw

Is there any jazz with just a drum and stand up bass? I kinda like the sound of jazz but I can’t into horns and saxophones

soundcloud.com/emonlavor/thing
Is this okay? Im fairly new to music. this piece isnt very ambitious but i was mostly testing new ideas.

the more I listen to it, the more I like it
youtube.com/watch?v=R4Xk6b6QD3M
there's something pretty about it

"We can't find this sound"

uh
maybe [spoiler]A Tribe Called Quest[/spoiler]?
youtube.com/watch?v=NZWS6CITutY

i took it off private. it should work now

I am digging the bass playing on this, man.

oh I fucked this up
why ctrl+s gives me spoiler when it doesn't work

It most definitely worked.
I enjoyed that. You used overdubbing?
I liked how the low end of the piano stood in contrast to the lovely sounding melodies on top. I enjoyed particularly when you played the ostinato sort of pedal on one note and played atop, but all in all throughout the song you had the low end of the piano function sort of freely.
Pretty cool user, keep at it.
If you can find a more central theme for your next tune that would be cool. Something less busy maybe? Or not. Keep doing what you're doing, I'm diggin

It was at 45seconds played in the middle of the piano. Not in the bass end. My bad but nonetheless I like that

I just started getting into jazz with a background in mostly rock music, exploring pretty much every subhenere I can think.

But jazz music takes me to places I've never thought possible in music. This is probably cliche but modal stuff really tickles this bone in my body that's never been tickled before. Examples: "Milestones" and "My Favorite Things"

It's a board wide macro, but it doesn't do anything on boards where spoilers aren't relevant.

Modal music is truly a blessing, Milestones in particular is a tune I've played a number of times but overall the things you can do with modal music. Man, I get what you mean and who cares if it's cliche.

OP here, thanks for all the tunes. I’ll help out with more Jazz Generals in the future. I play upright so I’m always looking for relaxed bass lines and swing. I studied other instruments when listening for homework (mostly drums obviously), but my guilty pleasure is piano, especially Bill Evans.

>Pic sorta related Jazz sounds better in the mountains.

No worries man. I play saxophone myself and I am on board with the admiration of Bill Evans.

You gotta like Scott Lafaro and Eddie Gomez seeing as you're a bass player and dig Bill Evans?

I know Scott LaFaro’s Blue and Green takes from studying Kind of Blue religiously but I don’t know Eddie Gomez.

However, I will say that Tommy Flanagan’s trio with Ron Carter on bass is amazing. Whenever I get time to play with a pianist I revisit Angel Eyes. It’s weird to connect with the piano instead of the drums. Besides, there’s enough room in the song to flex a bit.

Definitely look into Eddie Gomez. A Simple Matter Of Conviction is a wonderful Bill Evans album and it beautifully showcases Gomez.

Ron Carter is a beast.

And specifically about Angel Eyes, just damn. What a lovely standard. Are you familiar with the tune Nadis? I would hope since you like Bill Evans. Man. Nothing along the lines of Angel Eyes but man. To me that melody is mesmerizing. Great as a ballad or done uptempo.

Nardis *

I have that Bill Evans album saved for later on Spotify. Nardis has amazing synergy. Very hard to recreate in my experience. I’d honestly put it up there with Angel Eyes but that just shows what I know.

This conversation has me wanting to start playing music again. Maybe because it’s 6am but Lord knows I have unused drum sticks lying around and an upright I can borrow. Can’t match Chet Baker in drug intake though (yet). I assume you play frequently?

I play when I can. I'm still learning, as anyone always is. I want to improve at playing over changes in a more intelligent way. I've got some tunes in mind that I'm working towards.
Nothing Serious by Roy Hargrove (this one is gonna be a bitch to get tight in a combo. And holy hell the soloing is going to be demanding.)
Spartacus Love Theme - Soil And Pimp Sessions recording is the basis here, wonderful harmonies and a very beautiful melody.
And then a myriad of standards to get me better with changes and improvisation.

I wish I could say I am competent horn player but only time will tell on that one. Maybe sometime in another General in the future I'll post something. We will have to see.

And to the drug intake line. Don't go as hard as Chet or Bird did. Or Bill Evans for that matter. All I have to say is if you're gonna do it, make sure you're a half decent player before hand for at least some positive effect

You’re certainly a hell of a lot farther than anyone I know with music so congrats for staying busy! In the meantime I’ll be reading up on some old sheet music and looking for a new drummer to keep my rhythm in check. Won’t be playing till my finger heals though. Slashed a nerve. I can still feel enough to play luckily I just don’t want to rip the cut open.

Thanks for the compliment.
Get playing yourself! It's most definitely worthwhile and damn fun. I'm off to bed(it's 5:30am this was a mistake) but I hope to see you in the next Jazz General. I'll probably be the guy asking people if they "dig" and posting Japanese jazz albums.

Nice talking with you. Goodnight user.

Once you heal I mean. That takes priority**

To follow up, I do appreciate the concern about the drugs, especially here of all places, but I’m holding strict to prescription for focus and nicotine for leisure. Lord knows I could get anything any musician could dream of but I’ve seen exactly what that does to people and I’m not inclined at all to use.

I’ll follow your lead. I’m a time zone east of you it seems. I’ll probably post the same young Chet Baker pic seeing as how he’s also my style icon.

by far the best threads on mu its actually ridiculous

I fucking hate the trumpet. If it was a person I'd rape it to death or slowly break it psychologically.

But then there's this one moment where everything is clear and easy and I want to marry it.

>two people jerking each other off in a "you can do it!" fashion, while posting one of the biggest failures on the Jazz industry as thread image
>by far the best thread

its more a commentary on how FUCKing shit the rest of the board is sadly

Baby, Chet Baker is as shit taste as it gets concerning Jazz. And here is a faggot thinking the classically composed pieces of Soil and Pimp have anything to do with Jazz.

RIP /blindfold/ threads

they were the last time i saw a good jazz thread on Sup Forums and they were pretty much the best regular threads ever on here

Anyone else fucking hate when white people play jazz?

>t. I listened to Chet Sings and nothing else
The dude was a cool jazz icon.
His chordless quartet with Gerry Mulligan was fucking incredible and his playing on Jim Hall's Concerto is immaculate.

Do you exclusively listen to white people Jazz?

>icon
He was one of the three to four white people that could play decently and didn't steal black musicians' sound That was enough to make him an "icon" I guess.

No, I just tend not to think about a person's race unless it's relevant to the content of the record. Charlie Haden's ability to play Lonely Woman isn't affected by his whiteness any more than Ornette Coleman's ability to play it is affected by his blackness.
Unless a jazz artist is making an explicit statement about race ala We Insist! or something, their race doesn't factor into my experience of their playing.

>This is probably cliche but modal stuff
90% of Jazz is modal, what are you saying?

Undisputed GOAT dinner party soundtrack coming through

>Bill Evans
>Charlie Haden
>Gerry Mulligan
>Chet Baker
>Dave Holland
>Scott LaFaro
>Bix Beiderbeck
>Joe Pass
>Keith Jarrett
>Chris Potter
>Dave Brubeck
>Paul Desmond
>Joe Morello
>Stan Getz
>Paul Motian
>Pat Metheny
>Jim Hall
I'm fairly sure you've no fucking clue what you're talking about. It's true most of the best jazz artists are black, but if you seriously think there's only been a total 4 white jazz musicians worth listening to, you're an uncultured pleb.

what's some good 2018 jazz?

underrated GOAT in general

give this a shot

Chet's cool OP, don't listen to these faggots. It's a shame he fucked up his life with drugs so bad, he could have been so much better. Right when his career was starting his drug dealers beat the shit out of him for owing them money, knocked his teeth out so he couldn't play trumpet anymore. Years later he finally was able to afford surgery and was able to play again, making some of the best music of his career before overdosing and dying.

Watch the documentary "Let's Get Lost", it's one of the best Jazz Documentaries out there.

>Keith Jarrett

kys yourself

>listing all those hacks and thiefs like Bix Beiderbecke
And congratulations, you also listed the other three. Now fuck off

Akane Matsumoto and Wataru Hamasaki are doing another Big Catch record, thats gonna be released soon.

youtube.com/watch?v=X5cXDtu2GKc

>Watch the documentary "Let's Get Lost", it's one of the best Jazz Documentaries out there.
Nobody should ever watch that shit. Its literally nothing but seeing an old drugged fuck being tripped out of his mind, all the way to Cannes, where he plays something a 10yo can play better and then gets a mercy applause.

Its a testament of why he's a moron.

lol what did chet baker do to this guy. Did chet baker fuck your wife friend? It's okay, you can tell us.

How was Bix a thief? Who else was playing like him in the 20s in the middle of the dixieland era? The dude basically invented cool jazz.

I'm sorry to tell it to you, but baker has always been completely irrelevant to the Jazz scene and the only reason he's even acknowledged at all is because he was alive at a time where Jazz was popular and a cute white boy was shoved to the front because America couldnt handle all the blacks taking the front alone.

You may not like it, but its real talk. Choosing Hacker as the image of a Jazz thread automatically dooms it to shit

I did overdub. thank you user, I'll definitely put more time into the next one

this was only true for maybe the first 25 years of his life

And? Its not like he was relevant after either. Just ocassionally people looked back and thought "hey whats baker doing" allowing him to perform his shit.

Terrible. Literally no theme at all but just shit thrown on top of each other. That you actually get a meme reply like is quite pathetic.
If I was your teacher you'd get an F for sure.

It might be the reason he's popular, but it's not the reason he's got critical acclaim. He was no Dizzy Gillespie, but he did a hell of a lot more than sing and play vapid love songs for smitten teenagers.
Except that he put out the most adventurous and influential work of his career in that time too.
youtube.com/watch?v=W985hWD5KYg&ab_channel=camcollector

You forgot Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, John McLaughlin, and Peter Brötzmann user.

And Carla Bley, Krzysztof Komeda, Jaco Pastorious, Gil Evans, Tomasz Stanko and Kenny Burrell.
I'd be here a hell of a long time if I was trying to be exhaustive though.