/jazz/

Any Tom Harell fans on Sup Forums?

I saw him play in NYC yesterday and it was one of the most interesting experiences of my life.
>Sit down at the village vanguard
>Danish friend who comes back for the toilet tells me there's this ancient looking homeless man sobbing in the bathroom and holding a trumbone over his face
>When the music starts he points to this old man in a wrinkled ill fitting black suit and tells me that was him
>Realize it's mother fucking Tom Harell
>He starts muttering loudly to himself and shaking his arms violently
>He's huched over with his arms like a T-Rex with his next pushed downwards so the top of his spine is the highest point on his body, he looks like that "golem" meme from /fit/
>Seems to have little idea where the fuck he is as he takes this roundabout route to the front of the stage pushing his way through everyone, knocking coats off chairs and nearly spilling a couple drinks as he shuffles onto stage
>rest of the band is already in full swing playing loudly and clearly are very into the music, they're acting like nothing is out of the usual
>Tom makes it to the stage and stands silently in the front while the rest of the band is playing
>He continues muttering under his breathe and shaking his body while never having his gaze leave the floor
>Band is still playing loudly they're absolutely incredible
>Tom opens the spit valve on this trumpet and a waterfall of spit exits from it all over the stage
>Spit keeps flowing out from the trumpet all over the stage
>Band keeps playing as a bigger and bigger pile of spit grows on the stage
>Tom finally puts the trumpet to his lips but stands there silently for about another minute before he starts playing
>Suddenly the most beautiful trumpet playing you ever heard fills the air
>Crowd erupts in cheering him on
>He keeps playing absolutely beautiful music
>For about 5 minutes
>He then puts his trumpet down and shuffles off the stage in the middle of the performance.
Cont

Jazz thread btw

>shuffles through everyone again to the back of the club
>Puts his hands over his eyes and starts quietly sobbing
>The band is still playing amazingly
>Every 10 minutes or so he'll shuffle back on the stage, play beautiful trumpet for 5 minutes before shuffling to the back again to sob quietly by himself
It was quite a performance. Does anyone know why he is so fucked up though, that man has clearly seen better days.
This man won a Grammy and he could be mistaken for a drugged out homeless man.

Already better than the other Jazz thread.
Also, how can one play with beard? I always have to shave. Just can't do it. I could when I still played saxophone. But sax is a pussy instrument anyway.

Yeah sorry I didn't see the other thread till now.
I can move this story into the other, but more jazz threads on Sup Forums are never a bad thing.

I don't know. I play alto perfectly fine with a beard, why do you think it would be a problem for a trumpet?

Because the trumpet is a bitch instrument, trying to fuck its player on every chance it gets.

Speaking of the trumpet, this is a great album. But I liked her first EP more.

The fuck
Why is sax a pussy instrument?
Why is trumpet?
Do you just hate everything?

Saxophones are for kids and people who fail to play the trumpet.

Delet this.

Trumpet is for those who fail to play the sax

No, I won't delete it. It'll be here for everyone to see!

Tom Harrell has very bad schizophrenia and is basically dependent on his wife to help him live his daily life. He can barely function.

The other bitch of it is that there is medicine that helps his schizophrenia quite a bit, however it interferes with his ability to play music. Not sure of the specifics of that but there have been some articles written about it.

It's kind of sad but he's still a great musician.

Sax is objectively one of the easiest wind instruments to play you pleb

Shit. Thats a though draw

Anyone who calls any instrument "easy" without realizing the intricate techniques that separate a skilled player from a amateur is as big a pleb as they come

Good job on not saying anything at all. You can apply intricate techniques to literally anything.
But it doesnt change the fact that some things are easier than others. And the sax is pretty much like the other user said, the easiest wind to pick up.

this thread started out much better than the other jazz thread but luckily it has already sunk down to the usual pointless shit-flinging. good job guys

That means nothing though.
Any random fucker can pick up a guitar and strum some chords to make a song.
I don't really get what your point is, are you saying because saxaphone is more about certain button presses rather than changing tone with your lips?
Any instrument takes years to learn properly, so how can one be "easier than the other"

Ugonna Okegwo was the basist who played with Harell. Never heard of him before but he was great.
Who is your favorite jazz basist.
Mingus is pretty much the only one I know.

>That means nothing though.
Exactly, what you said means nothing. You're right about the techniques and high level play. Nobody is disputing that.

All that was said is that some instruments are easier to pick up and/or play than others. And thats literally the case with the sax being pretty much the easiest wind instrument. I dunno why you're so insecure about such a basic fact. Are you literally 14 and just learning to play?
Everybody knows this. Pull your head out of your ass

Based

Time's mirror is a god tier album

At school we had dozens of trumpet players who got told to better try the sax because they couldn't put in the effort/or time. And they didn't get told to swap because the sax was even tougher...
>than changing tone with your lips?
lol. try lips+tongue+abs. And yes.

Ok fine you win I'm just trying to say how pointless it is to fling shit over "my instrument is better than yours"

But it ruined this thread so you guys win

Some other great current bassists:
Scott Colley
Dave Holland
Boris Kozlov
Ben Street

bummer

Too normie oriented. First major release and sounds as such. But still great.

the trumpet player is correct in stating that the sax is easier to learn play than the trumpet. although my instructor viewed the french horn and trombone as the harder of the brass instruments to play.

Clarinet is easier imo. Alto Sax might be just as easy, but Tenor is not, considering how much air you have to control.

I fucking love this album so much, it made me want to get into jazz and discover more awesome albums

bump to save from death

really been enjoying this lately