/daily/ - purgatory edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

richardchartier.bandcamp.com/album/a-ravishment-of-mirror-expanded
rateyourmusic.com/list/Jangle_Bojangle/jangles-avant-cd-of-the-week/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sachiko-m-toshimaru-nakamura-and-otomo-yoshihide/good-morning-good-night/
rateyourmusic.com/list/_natkingcole_/my-aoty-of-every-year-since-1950/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this chart fucking rules

gonna follow this one. just recently listened to This is what i do by Lescalleet and it's damn good.

Quick update then resurrecting an old chart.

Worst cover I’ve ever seen btw. Sick of Spotify rec-ing it.

>St. John Green - St. John Green (1968)

There's no way around that this is just stupid. Not only that but they really showed up to the studio with no ideas. Not only that but they can barely play their instruments. Not only that but Kim Fowley insisted on these provocative-but-nonsensical spoken word passages throughout. In all fairness, the premise for some songs like "Goddess of Death" or "Messages from the Dead" could have been cool had they done a single thing to flesh them out rather than repeat the single vague idea ad nauseam. All quirky, mind you. "Spirit of Now" is the most conventional--and not surprisingly--the "realest" of songs here, and it's not bad at all. Overall, this reminds me of some ideas Zappa pushed when he clearly didn't have any ideas, only St. John Green doesn't have an all-star band. Total nonsense, and not in the sense that they missed some mark, because there doesn't seem to be a mark.
2/10

>Sagittarius - Present Tense (1968)

This one has some notoriety as one of the quintessential sunshine pop or psychedelic pop records. Two points: it's not my forte, so don't take my opinion, and this is nominally psychedelic. To start with, it's indeed a full and lush arrangement accompanying these pop singers, and the vocal harmonies especially sound great in this production. In fact, this is way more of a baroque pop record than psychedelic (which realistically only manifests in its effects and occasionally and subtly odd chord changes and a sitar I could pick out of the mix), and the arrangement includes every twee sound in the book: harpsichord, strings, flutes, tambourines. Mind you, this is peak flowery, wimpy, saccharine psych. Admittedly, it's all too much and too distracting and doesn't have particularly bold or interesting songwriting to back up such a grand symphony.
4.5/10

Neat chart. I recognize a lot of names but no albums.

I love the way januar-eai sounds in my head.

I'm loving this chart so much I might do a Februar-EAI one when that rolls around

Was mildly disappointed by this but I like the level analysis essays

Musique Concrete May
Sound Collage September
Free Improv February
Harsh Noise November
Microtonal March

Interesting how similar of a style St John Green shares with early Can. Are you of a fan of that era of Can?
There's a healthy amount of listeners on spotifoo and i can only imagine they probably see the same qualities in this album that they did in Monster Movie, otherwise based on your review, it's ALL ironic listeners

yea

I love Can but I like early Can less. Father Cannot Yell and Yoo Doo Right are at least inspired and cosmic and onto something, not sure what St. John Green is getting at at all

if more producers came out and started making flashcore this year, that would be fantastic

the blue flowers look like sonic in peripheral vision

good ratings for Teatro and 2 Seconds. That Dj Sound album Isn't EAI tho

Oh yeah

I finally got a twitter

That's Jason Lescalleet. A lot of the albums on here aren't pure EAI but all the artists are at least associated with the EAI scene

neat!

>getting a Twitter in 2018

twitter is v good

Nice, now delete it.

realized some albums weren't on spotify so i decided to just replace them with albums from 2017 i missed

im gona delet ur dad
infosec twitter and the tech community in general is p. great, I regret deleting the first account I had
@choofers

followed u
and the best part of twitter is the mushbuh-verse

agreed

oh fuck that reminds me I need to buy a hat
kfaraday and I are acquaintances I guess, I've charted quite a bit of her stuff for stepmania and osu!mania lol

oh lol that's great. love keffie's twitter

>the best part of twitter is the mushbuh-verse
correct. the super duper sumos-verse is second.

working through future's discog and i'm so bored with his first album. should i do red velvet or ladies' code next

hello newfriend!
are these the records you want to listen to as a part of your /daily/ experience?
i would highly recommend removing the album that looks like blurred bacon - its not worth it...
%]

ignore this sinner. this chart is a complete unit.

don't worry im just teasing yamboy

it's what i've been really liking as of late

i dug a few of tthose from your rym (second, neighborhoods, probably another dumb ambient on there )

god jim yuoure such a tease

Arditti String Quartet more like Arditti Meme Quartet

haha gOTTEM

coooooooooooooooooooooookioe

yer done bud, that's it

richardchartier.bandcamp.com/album/a-ravishment-of-mirror-expanded

This but unironically

JAPANUARY 2018 50% done:

>Carmen Maki - 真夜中の詩集: ろうそくが消えるまで (1969)
Pretty ballads with lush arrangements. Ambitious but too formulaic: not as good as her next LP "Adam and Eve".

>三上寛 - 三上寛の世界 (1971)
Striking Avant-Folk/Blues laments shout with a desperate honestey by Kan Mikami. Great debut.

>Yumi Arai - Misslim (1974)
Similar to her previous 1973 LP ひこうき雲 (Hikō-ki Gumo) but slightly more dated. Gorgeous Folk-Pop (imagine Carole King's Tapestry with a cute Japanese voice) where Haruomi Hosono can't stop playing Beatlesque basslines (#1, #8, #9).

>梶芽衣子 [Meiko Kaji] - 全曲集 (2004)
Lovely comp of Enka used for Meiko Kaji movies (Female Convict 701: Scorpion, Lady Snowblood, etc.) with cool cinematic arrangements. Mirror perfectly the revengeful, powerful characters MK played in the 70's.

>友川かずき [Kazuki Tomokawa] - 青い水赤い水 (Blue Water, Red Water) (2008)
Another solid release in KT's late career: the tired voice of a 58yo man lamenting about existential torments, mid-tempo "Avant-Folk" and bitter-sad songs.

>高橋幸宏 [Yukihiro Takahashi] - Neuromantic (1981)
Japanese New-Wave Pop, AKA Techno Kayō; for fans of YMO, Bowie's Lodger and oblique synthetic Art Pop.

>真鍋ちえみ [Chiemi Manabe] - 不思議・少女 (Mysterious Girl) (1982)
CUTE bouncy synthetic melodies everywhere! Each tracks sounds like the opening for a 1980s anime.

>Perfume - [Triangle] (2009)
This kind of bouncy, flawless Electro J-Pop terrifies me: insanely catchy but inhuman (the vocoder doesn't help). Exhausting.

>チャットモンチー [Chatmonchy] - 告白 (Kokuhaku) (2009)
>SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 2 (2015)
Soulless "Indie" Pop-Rock.

>寺内タケシとブルージーンズ [Takeshi Terauchi & The Blue Jeans] - 羅生門 (Rashōmon) (1972)
Super fun Surf-Rock/Eleki on speed!

FACT: Joining Jangle's Avant CD of the Week gives you a better appreciation of art and culture and widens the range of lesser people that are beneath you. The hierarchal triangle is closing in boys; what are you, fucking peasants?

>JAPANUARY
Just fucking vomited.

do you have a list of the cds you've done so far for this?

Thanks so much for posting that mega link a few threads back. Currently i don't have a laptop so i couldn't open it but I'm looking forward to your next listen along pick (hopefully it'll be on spotify or I'll get a computer by then)

I am unavailable to do your avant CD of the week because I still have 621 albums left from your thrift store tourney

What happened to the laptop that guy gave you? Did you give it away, Givingbear? Quit giving everything away!

yeah
rateyourmusic.com/list/Jangle_Bojangle/jangles-avant-cd-of-the-week/
you favourited it lmao

I usually pick harder to find albums which is why I post mega links, tis the nature of avant music I guess, not much makes it to large labels with streaming deals. It was originally for actual CD's I burn from the library, but my old laptop with the CD player crapped the bed and I need to get an external monitor for it, so it's whatever I find on the interwebz. Technology can really screw ya, eh?
Also it's 2018; get a computer you silly ursidae.

>tfw still getting bullied from 2016 memes

oh yeah
thnx

Okay new chart lads, was going to go with a theme but I decided against it. What am I in for?

That tournament the biggest meme ever. I have still not even made it to the end of the CD that I bought myself

Oh yeah that was the wrong name
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

good

holy hell

lots of sub-/daily/core there. Hope u like it lots n lots

heavier than a death is pretty much just 77 live btw just missing a song + worse sequencing

fuck, where do you even start. You've got like at least two of my 10/10s on there, a bunch of 9/10s

also, what fish said. 77 live is the superior LRD recording

Holy macaroni that's a good chart

I think I did 3, I don't know why I thought it would work out but it was my first tourney and I thought we could collectively guilt everyone into finishing it. Then again, making charts and not finishing them is kinda my thing.

this is way better than pink tape

Electroacoustic Improvisation

Good Morning Good Night is considered the biggest meme of the genre
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sachiko-m-toshimaru-nakamura-and-otomo-yoshihide/good-morning-good-night/

Old habits die hard

what is this cover though
like i know it's a collage
but why

it looks like the organization of tracks in recording software

this album sucks and my head actually hurts having finished it. 3/10 i'm surprised they can operate instruments

It's a fuckin sunset

it sucks that GMGN gets shit on so much cuz it's literally the album that made me start loving onkyo and EAI

was the nasty ass cloud in the corner necessary though

doesnt it get shit on because it's usually the first album people hear from that genre, and it's one of the less accessible releases

something No-Input Mixing Board is an easier start for people because of the concept and bleepybloopy nature

yeah pretty much.
i'd also rec Too Beautiful to Burn and Sunshine Has Blown for entry points

its loaded, bro

Yes
Yes

hmmmmmmmmmm
gmgn's pretty good

this shit is craaazy

Heck yeah
Heacke yeahe
Heckeg yehaye

hibarigang

I'll definitely be checking out their other releases

it's probably the best label i've looked into in depth. tons of variety. very rewarding.

Yeah I remember reading through your list on rym back when you first started it. Reminds me of how slowly I go through my backlog.

where the FUCK is plus tech squeeze box

I've just realized how much I love unami so I should do this

he's such a hack tho wtf

unami is a god
take my low ratings not as albums you shouldn't check out. it's a pulse.

noice quads
dw I was gonna check them out based on your description not rating

I updated this with honorable mentions if ya wanna check it out

rateyourmusic.com/list/_natkingcole_/my-aoty-of-every-year-since-1950/

Subenstein is one of the best concepts

he'll yeha

reminded me of a lot of stuff I need to rehear soon thanks

Broadcast - Tender Buttons (2005)
>indietronica

Very affable and pleasant to listen to, the band plays around with a lot of minimalist, almost chiptune-influenced sounds, and they all work incredibly well, bouncing perfectly off Keenan's vocals. The songwriting and general ambition is a bit lesser than The Noise Made by People, however, it's much more of a simple pop album. That's not a bad thing, I just miss the grander scale of the band's debut.

The National - Sleep Well Beast (2017)
>indie rock, art rock

The first couple tracks promise a more hard-edged, rock-influenced National than anything else the band has done. Two tracks even feature guitar solos, it's really weird for the band and it works shockingly well. The back half of the album is an absolute snoozefest, though. Outside of "Guilty Party", these drifting tracks amplify everything I don't really like about the National tenfold, and it's a chore to get through.

2.0+

Kaizers Orchestra - Ompa til du dor (2001)
>gypsy punk

Gypsy punk is kind of an inherently cheesy and over-the-top genre, and Kaizers Orchestra just take that and run with it. It's not a great album, and not a subtle album, but it's a fun album, and one that constantly keeps me on my toes. Can't give much praise to the folk tracks, however.

2.5+

Carina Round - The Disconnection (2003)
>alternative rock, singer/songwriter

Alt rock that takes a massive page out of the PJ Harvey songbook. Enjoyable enough, with dazzling vocals from Round, but unoriginal and done better by hundreds of other artists.

2.0+

Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent (2017)
>post-punk

Another shockingly good album from last year's small post-punk revival. The vocals are perfect for the genre, very dismal and Ian Curtis-esque, and the noisy sound is done incredibly well. The band tries to incorporate some poppier elements that go across poorly, but the straight-forward noise rock is incredible.

i fucking LOVE that song

oooh rodeo
I should relisten to that, I was talking to my brother about it the other day and how it compares to days before rodeo. I think rodeo's better, he thinks days before rodeo is better, but we both think birds in the trap sucked

i actually really like Days Before Rodeo, so I'll see if i agree with you or your brother soon

It's so fun and hype. There was a period where my friend and I would play that song full blast every single time we got into the car.

Also with regards to Protomartyr, they are such a frustrating band. They do the raw aggressive sound so well and his vocals fit perfectly but keep cleaning up their sound. Take for example In My Sphere and Too Many Jewels (best song by far) from their debut album that the band likes to pretend doesn't exist for some reason. They only played one track from it when I saw them live. Do check the debut out since you liked their straight forward noise rock bits. It is chock full of some simple but hard-hitting cuts and frankly it is downright criminal how it got zero attention.

Gonna try and start doing /daily/. Here's what I currently have downloaded that I haven't listened to yet

lovesliescrushing, steve reich, tangerine dream, prurient are good

welcome!

Dance of the Moon and Sun, Trees Community, Quebec, Songs Ohia, Bone Machine, Ayahuasca, Bad Timing are all great

while my guitar violently bleeds a fuckin banger

Hey /daily/!

I’ve been basically listening to Shostakovich lately. The Barshai box has been very interesting and so are the Emerson String Quartet recordings.

Otherwise I’m still jetlagged af

>this isn't music
>where's the melody
>people only pretend to like this