So I am a foreign student visiting the wonderful country that is Poland for a month

So I am a foreign student visiting the wonderful country that is Poland for a month
Any polishbros caring to explain me what the fuck is going on right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuius_regio,_eius_religio
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Confederation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lefties chimping out

I should have precised:
Sup Forums meme aside, pls

Paid protestors

Polak government is going full Iran

We are not involved.

)))))

lmao

seems like someone forgot to pay the electrical bill protest

ppl dont want to go back to communist times regarding juridiction

Stay strong Poland. Do not cave.

Authoritarian party PIS was trying to pass 3 bills related to how Polish supreme court judges were elected. First version was supposed to allow memer minister of justice Ziobro to appoint judges directly. But some small protests from opposition groups occured, and that was changed to being elected by 3/5 of Sejm.

Ruling party is cleaning house, and doing some reforms, but also making dubious legal shortcuts for themselves. Old ruling party / current opposition wants their positions and money back, but is incapable of forming any program beyond protests and begging foreign powers to condemn the country. Half the protesters are legitimately concerned, half are useful idiots.

Ruling party is reforming justice system.

Justice system and liberal opposition and liberal media call it a coup against division of power and claim that the ruling party wants to assert complete personal control over courts, maybe even to go as far as to commit election fraud.

The ruling party and nationalist and conservative media claim that it's merely a necessary step in purging the institution from people who worked under communist government because up until now judiciary was out of control, essentially a self-contained mafia.

The rest is up for you to decipher if you care to dig into law proposals and legal analysis.

kek

Assuming you're not just an autistic Pole fishing for attention, where are you from?
/thread

Thank you.
Since I was impressed by the whole protest in the street of Warsaw yesterday Im gonna assume they are right to be scared
Revolution!

I am french. This explains why I have a thing for shaking the whole governement down, hence this post

There won't be any shakedowns happening. People will protest around, sing and then go home and wait what's next. Maybe a few individuals will get more rowdy than the rest and will be pacified by the cops but that's about it.

Unfortunately, I am fully aware of that kind of bullshit. God, protests after the Charlie Hebdo attack, or movement such as "Nuit Debout" were beyond pathetic.
But it seems like there is a genuine threat to their democracy right now, plus polish seems pretty based, so I was hoping maybe it will be different there.

I'm kinda on the fence myself here. See, political culture in Poland (or anywhere else in eastern bloc really) was never very good, which translates to lackluster defenders of democracy and ease of work for government propagandists. On the other hand, while their current government is more brazen than previous ones, and I wonder to what extent due to kaczynski's own mental instability, I'd like to think that his apparatus is not in actual danger of running completely off the handle and, say, outright subverting the elections or muzzling the independent media.

Although I suppose we'll see what their next steps will be. For a time they'll probably take it easier in either case, because boiling frog meme and all that.

I do agree with your general sentiments though.

I could not have said it better.
I would add that I do not understand the current political climate in Eastern europe, or at least what I know of it.
Rise of populism, euro scepticism and overall rise of the far right in countries such as mine or UK seems understandable, but in a countries such as Poland, which has been under an authoritarian regime for way too long, and suffered badly from it... wtf?
Particulary about the european union: Poland incredibly benefited from its adherance. For fuck sake, almost all of the bus I saw, from Cracow to Warsaw, had been financed by the EU. I get that the refugee crisis is a huge turn off, but c'mon.

they are going full turkey

East Europe never believed in individual liberty and democracy.
These countries just pretended to be something else in order to receive favors from the West but now that they have achieved a somewhat prosperous state they can go back to the system they truly admire - which means authoritarian nationalist governments in the manner of Pilsudski and Horthy.

The ruling party literally broke the current democratic constitution by firing the heads of the legislative branch and thus compromised Polands separation of powers. Polish civil society is trying to resist and took to the streets.

>den Käsepizza Faden bumpen

Anzeige ist raus, Maasregelung anberaumt

>pictures of fully dressed children are considered CP
Seriously?

Poland's ruling party wants to boot these really old high judges whose position originated during a Communist martial rule and replace them with government vetted judges (you know like most countries do). They believe this will help cut down on corruption (or so they say). The former ruling party opposes this as many members are being investigated for corruption and pretending it's dissolving the judiciary.

It is important to remember the former ruling party was made up of party communists and party communists kids. Also, during their rule Poland managed to build the most expensive highways in Europe with labor far cheaper than Western Europe.

TLDR: Ruling party wants to strip vestiges of former gommie rule and says it's to fight corruption, former ruling party involved in corruption is shitting themselves. Basically political warfare.

Nice summary, burgerbro

>East Europe never believed in individual liberty and democracy.

>Cuius regio, eius religio is a Latin phrase which literally means "Whose realm, his religion", meaning that the religion of the ruler was to dictate the religion of those ruled. At the Peace of Augsburg of 1555, which ended a period of armed conflict between Roman Catholic and Protestant forces within the Holy Roman Empire, the rulers of the German-speaking states and Charles V, the Emperor, agreed to accept this principle. It was to apply to all the territories of the Empire except for the Ecclesiastical principalities, and some of the cities in those ecclesiastical states, where the question of religion was addressed under the separate principles of Reservatum ecclesiasticum and Declaratio Ferdinandei.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuius_regio,_eius_religio

>The Warsaw Confederation (January 28, 1573), was an important development in the history of Poland and Lithuania that extended religious tolerance to nobility and free persons within the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.[1] It is considered the formal beginning of religious freedom in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and in fact is the first such document in Europe. While it did not prevent all conflict based on religion, it did make the Commonwealth a much safer and more tolerant place than most of contemporaneous Europe, especially during the subsequent Thirty Years' War.[2]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Confederation

There won't be any revolution. These demonstrations are a sign of desperation of our post-communist opposition that cannot win in any other way so they try to destabilize the country (they coined this slogan "street and foreigners" i.e. they try to start street riots and involve some external help, mostly from Germany), but the ruling party has very high support so the opposition will fail, pic related:

no. 1 is the ruling party;
no. 2 are pro-German shills;
no 3. is a coalition of libertarians and nationalists;
no 4. are other pro-German shills, but with hmm... an alternatively intelligent leader.