Where is music gonna go in the 2020's...

Where is music gonna go in the 2020's? I am so tired of rap/trap music and folk/indie rock as being kind of the two main modern forms of current music. Will a new genre ever be invented again? I feel like the entirety of the 2010s hasn't been for me.

A lot of current interest in Disco and Japanese City Pop has got me thinking maybe there will be a funk revival of some sort, would love to see that snowball into something bigger and bigger.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1s5bOo6ltsFZjTaQSREzr8d70bh9G65mURXwKrRC1M90/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Over the last twenty-five years, electronic music of all varieties has flourished, with genres exploring everything from Big House Bounce and Trap to Happy Hardcore and Future Bass.

At the same time, we are seeing many hip-hop and rap fans exploring and enjoying classic metal groups, and sharing tracks that they like.

New genres of music in the 2020's will come from these three musical platforms, guaranteed.

the truth is that overall music died in the mid 90s, after this only some genres are listenable

Here you go, dumb frogposter.

docs.google.com/document/d/1s5bOo6ltsFZjTaQSREzr8d70bh9G65mURXwKrRC1M90/edit?usp=drivesdk

Poppy industrial/hardcore hip-hop.

Le wrong genitalia

I predict some kind of mainstream guitar-based rock scene coz there has been a drought of that lately. Lately there is only underground indie dream pop bands led by rich kids who wear cardigans, it's boring as shit.

I like this one more

>tfw you're into non-edm electronic music and this decade feels like a golden age

meant also non-hip hop

The problem with most electronic music that I listen to at least is that none of it is really memorable. It's all created around and from a culture that just uses music as a background for dancing and taking drugs, with the music not being the centerpoint itself. There is IDM but a lot of that is so abstract overly experimental that it doesn't do anything for me.

Metal will always be fine, I don't like the direction it's headed to, but metal will always have it's niche audience. I wish a new form of hardrock will come though, something different from 70s and grunge, but still with a lot of soul and aggression involved.

Nu-Metal revival when?

unironically probably pretty soon due to all the rap and metal crossover thats been happening recently.

there's lots of electronic music that's not cold abstract idm or just background for drugs and dancing
it's just a bit underground, not even that much really
stuff like boards of canada, bibio, arca, oneohtrix point never, tim hecker etc.
it's where most musical innovation outside of rap, metal, edm and pop is nowadays i think

yeah came here to post that. im into synthwave future 80's and this decade has been great.

i still cant believe how edm went to shit... i was going through some ministry of sound anuals from 2004-2007 and some of it really was quiet good. same with fabric

we are on some wierd-ass timeline

Boards of Canada and Tim Hecker are very abstract and ambient. Don't know about the others.

I enjoy that kind of music on small occasions but really I have to be in a very specific mood for it. None of it is very melodically pleasing or memorable to me.

2010-2020 as far as I'm concerned is a dark age.

I'm utterly baffled by the low's standards stoop to each day. Daily I see people posting their shitty music and it just slips further and further away.

I really think the world needs to just stop spinning at this point, there's no point. This is all going nowhere now. Music is a homogeneous turdbowl now and that's not a fucking joke anymore to me.

It was a mistake to ever let people make music with computers.

bro listen to csh

mmm, hi-res. uncomfortably hi-res, as god intended

Boards of Canada is great, man.

BoC is like the least abstract electronic music that isn't straight up (synth)pop of some kind (edm, brostep, whatever)