/Jazz/ General

Who would be into bringing back /blindfold/ threads?

I wouldn't mind

No. It was just masturbation and reading to what 16 year olds consider "critical thinking" was terrible and killed the threads.

To add. Jazz generals on Sup Forums went to shit because everyone reurgitates the same old shit about the same old artists all the time, that eveyone already heard or said so many times they lost count.
If you wanna talk about new or current artists, 99% of the time people have no clue about it and it just falls off.

Big fan of Japanese Jazz, but nobody here knows that shit. So it's futile to talk about it. Even the couple of people who say thay are into it, either post old stuff like Matsumoto or Fukui that everyone knows, or post meme-music like Soil & Pimp and Playwright artists.
Nobody cares about the vibrant and current Jazz scene of Tokyo.
堀秀彰 had a great concert at Applejump yesterday for example. One of the best pianists of the scene at the moment. Takazawa at Hot House, which is the smallest Jazz club in the world is something everyone should see if they have the chance. I thought about making threads or posts introducing that stuff multiple times. But who for? Nobody gives a shit, when you can say the same things about Mingus that have been said a million times already.

Thats why these threads are doomed to insignificance with people only coming back for nostalgia.

So you're mad that nobody discusses jazz, yet the blindfold threads were "masturbation"? I don't get it.

what is /blindfold/?

basically someone posts a playlist with all the info removed from the tracks, just named as Track 1, Track 2, etc. Then everybody listens to those tracks and gives their thoughts on the music or their guesses about who plays on them.

sounds fun

leave it to the fags on Sup Forums to make jazz into a game

we play records, not games

Unironically this. They don't care about the music itself, they just want to reaffirm themselves that they "get it".
No it isn't. Because you're gonna hear the same shit, the same phrases you've been listening to forever. At the start it might seem like it, but after three threads you wanna shoot everyone in these threads.
You either rage at 16 year olds not recognizing standards or you're bored hearing someone telling you the same shit people have been saying about standards for literal decades. I mean last thread had a faggot unironically stating that "modal music is cliche but I like it". Just think about that for a moment.

If it sounds fun to you to listen to some 16yo (re)discovering ancient standards over and over again, suit yourself. But its not fun to me.

but the /blindfold/ threads usually featured a lot of current jazz beyond standards and the jazz classics. Jazzpossu always liked to talk about the current Finnish jazz players and the European scene and JTG always included stuff about criss cross albums and the current New York scene, which I don't even really like but at least it was something different besides just Hank Mobley playing some standard for the 100th time

>look up some of the japanese jazz artists mentioned on youtube
>it's all just shitty imitation of 60s hard bop
>mfw

What the fuck man?

The blindfold threads would have been the perfect place to introduce more people to Japanese jazz. I'm pretty sure people even specifically requested a Jap jazz themed week.

What would good jazz discussion even be in your ideal world?

>trying to be elitist
>big fan of Japanese jazz

I fucking love entry level jazz
Miles Davis, Art Blakey
Coltrane,
Mingus
Truly as good as it gets

>he thinks Sup Forums invented the blindfold test
lol. this "game" has been around since the '40s and almost every jazz legend you could name has participated in it

What do you have against standards m8? a good judge of a jazz artist is whether he can bring something new to a standard.

Those threads could have been great but it was always the same 3 people posting every week. I think interest would be even lower now since /jazz/ can't even sustain a general thread and I don't think JTG even posts here anymore

>white people jazz
lol nobody's fucking interested in that shit

Why can't jazz artists make good album covers ?

good 2018 jazz?

Japanese Jazz is shit you fucking weeb

>jazz recorded after 1975
>good
top kek m8

we're only like 2 months into the year. you probably have to wait until at least the first month to really ask that about jazz

I think the main issue is that ever since the jazz autists left there hasn't been a new influx, and jazz is a genre that takes a hell of a long time to figure out the finesse of what's going on. It's not even a matter of "people don't contribute to it", but a matter that a very small subset can meaningfully contribute.

what are the last ten post-1975 jazz albums you listened to

drama is gay

just post some good jazz albums that you don't often see posted on Sup Forums