How to deal with friends who think they need to be given praise for showing me music in high school?

How to deal with friends who think they need to be given praise for showing me music in high school?

I've been musically inclined since I was a kid, but didn't start getting into alternative\underground bands until a friend of mine showed me Converge freshman year of high school.

There are a ton of bands that I heard about through 2 of these people. But for instance, they feel the need to lord over me and take the credit for establishing my music taste. When in fact if I did not like it I could have told them to fuck off.

They didn't spend hours combing through bands libraries and memorizing songs for me, even if they did show me a few bands.

Are they responsible for "molding" my music taste, or can they be told to fuck off? I feel as though if I didn't like the music they showed me, I would just not listen to it, like many of our other friends did. I feel like they are claiming something over me that only the people who actually wrote the album could. Like I'm subordinate to them for not "finding it first" on the internet or whatever.

Pic Related: It's a great album.

ask them if you owe them something and if they say yes tell them to suck your dick

Do you see the irony of this thread?

They sound like assholes. You like what you like, and that's up to no one but yourself. You could have just stopped listening to bands you didn't like. My friend shows me plenty of music and when I really like one of the albums he sends to me it's good because it's an opportunity to talk about it and discuss it, exchange ideas about it, what we like about it, how we interpret it, etc. They sound like elitist pricks. Art is for discussing and sharing. But people with superiority complexes will always find a way to ruin it.

And Jane Doe is fucking amazing, only clicked your post because of it.

in a few years you'll drift apart anyway... I wouldn't waste any more energy thinking about it...

Thanks user.

No. I'm asking for a plethora of opinions. Cultural rules about this sort of thing could possibly be in place. idk. It's a different situation.

Actually I've been friends with both of these dudes for over ten years and we are adults.

>metalcore
kill your friends and waste yourself OP

this sounds so immature to be bothered about at first glance but it's so relatable honestly.

My older sister does this shit constantly and if I ever play Brand New in the car when I'm taking her somewhere like TDAG she's like "ya ur welcome for that"
(cos she had sic transit gloria on repeat like 12 years ago when she was a scene asshole)

Like dude... Please. Stop.

high school is a terrible place for undeterring parasitic socialites who only care for themselves and losers who masturbate to hentai come there to learn and shit aka a complete trash experience for anyone who isn't foaming at the mouth with bullshit narcissism self idolization only purpose it serves to make you look back and think "damn i was a fucking idiot" or "thank the lord baby jesus up in the sky i dont have to see this cocksuckers again throw shit at me and scream faggot" when you learn when shit's not worth it and people are fucking retarded

OP again, actually that is totally true, they are just elitist pricks, because I have tons of bands and artists that I like, they never even give me the time of day about because they have a musical superiority complex.

For instance, they really like dillinger escape plan, but I always thought it was kind of like not a very good band.

The lead singer is a pedo anyway just throw that back in her face.

he might be but aren't we all, user

And you know what it is immature and wouldn't be a problem for me if they didn't look at me and scoff like "wow you wouldn't even like that if it weren't for me."

But yeah that might stroke your ego that you had influence on another persons life, but how egotistical to assume that I might not have a deeper connection the music, given that someone else entirely actually wrote it and it colored my experiences. They didn't stare out the windows I stared out of and thought about what I was hearing.

lolicon isn't pedophilia, you are safe here.

lolicon is pedophilia, isnt illegal

This isn't the place for it, but I am attracted to lolicons but not even remotely attracted to real little girls\boys. Weirdest shit when normies think they are the same thing.

If they actually mean that and aren't doing that to tease you then you should tell them to fuck off. Just decipher how much of it is friendly banter and how much is geniune superiority complex, then act accordingly.
Also Axe to Fall is objectively better haha

My favorites are No Heroes and All We Love We Leave Behind, because they are more thrash oriented, but yeah, it's entirely superiority complex. This is just something I know about them and deal with because they are genuinely good folks besides that.

>I am attracted to lolicons
user thats pretty disturbing even for Sup Forums standards

>even for Sup Forums standards

Bitch literally what do you think this place is.

>>/d/

I thought that was extremely regular for Sup Forums standards.

lol I agree but stop talking about pron in my edgy metalcore thread. I don't want to b le b&

>the joke
>your head

if that was a joke it was very poorly laid out (or remotely bordering on the edge of funny to even consider it'd be joking), user.

Anyways sorry user enjoy your thread

a lolicon is someone who likes js/loli/cake user

I'd probably come up with some quick comebacks like: "I'm amazed you recommended that, coz your taste is usually garbage"
Something obviously jokey that they hopefully won't get offended over and nips it in the bud then just change the topic quickly.

Although my social skills are pretty shit and you've probably already tried that

I do make passive aggressive jokes about it. Two nights ago I was at the tail end of a party and most people had left and I started playing "when you sleep" by MBV on the guitar and my buddy was like "you wouldn't even know about that if it weren't for me." so I shot him a dirty look and said something like "Actually I found this by myself (which is true), it's a classic and you can't take my memories away from me." but he still had this stupid grin on his face like I was trying to get away with some shit.

most annoying people ever.
I love recommending music to friends so much so I hate seeing that I kinda just like to throw it their direction and not turn it into fucking property like it's a gift i'm giving them lmao

Word I have literally never been that guy and never will be.

>but I am attracted to lolicons
Why would someone be attracted to filthy basement perverts

>"Actually I found this by myself (which is true), it's a classic and you can't take my memories away from me."
Lol what a fucking autist. Did you also tip your fedora as you said that?
Just brush it off as irrelevant man. The more they see you sperg out the more they'll do it. Next time these assholes (who you consider friends for some reason) bug you with that, just agree and move on.
>durr I schooled you hurr
>"Hah, yeah."
Done

30 minutes late I just got that.

Duh. Loli vs lolicon

Punch me user I'm sorry I'm so stupid.

Not everyone is a finding nemo seagull like you dude.

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. A Finding Nemo reference? Really?

Yeah dude, stay based. Are you above finding nemo or some shit? What that soundtrack sound like bitch

HAHHAHAJAJAJAJKEKEKKEEKKEKE!!!11
HELLO OP I AM FUCKING OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD. DO NOT SCARE.
4 YEARS I HAD SAME FRIENDS AND I HAVE SIMPLE QUESTION:DID THEY (UR FREIND) MAEK JANE DOES CONVERGE? ::FUCK NO:: SO """" OR ANOTHER EX... A FUCKING CLASSIK LYK """" D1D THEY (UR FRIED) WR1TE LOVELE55? FUCKING NO (ASSUMING HE ISNT K3V SH31LDZ)

>ONLY PLEASE URSELF OP (UR DOING FINE)
>WORRY ABT SHIT "¿¿PATRI-CIAN??" GARBAGE OPINIONS OF U AND U ONLY MANIFEST THEIR OPINION IN UR MIND

BURN IN HELL
SAGE

Nice try, $ociopath nigger.

That's the thing, listen to all the big chugga chugga metalcore acts you heard in high school like All that Remains, Killswitch Engage, Unearth, etc. and then listen to Converge. There's an obvious discrepancy there.