/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides for French, Russian and Swedish.

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
mega.nz/#!yYlwTDoR!YyDW_6MyErnYoKk-O8WPOqdlEQfJ4oqkeLUapCYkwgw
triphackr.com/how-to-travel-to-iran-as-an-american/
youtube.com/watch?v=UrGS9EARHRc
radio.garden/live/tehran/
dropbox.com/sh/fe6umhr6rvw7pn2/AACM15bieW1xO1LZiJ28Qh_Qa?dl=0
vocaroo.com/i/s0mYq27sBM7k
vocaroo.com/i/s05CMoulz6NS
youtube.com/watch?v=vo6aCw7PaWI
youtube.com/watch?v=fUiNdrBTL_o
hinative.com/en-US/questions/564175
thegermanprofessor.com/top-100-german-verbs/
t.me/joinchat/EfK1jEP62gdzqVlszCZ2cw
deutsch.lingolia.com/de/grammatik/verben/reflexive
lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/Grammatik/Reflexiv/Reflexiv.html
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Welsh_mutations
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Welsh_conjugation
bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zsv8wmn/revision
fanad.net/mut01.pdf
youtube.com/user/notabenemovies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Thirst for best Emma.

Good morning, bros. How are your studies progressing?

I have recently discovered Lingvist and like it more than Duolingo. Although it's not as fun it seems more logical and productive since it asks you to produce TL words rather than Duolingo which in my experience mostly asks you to translate from your TL.

mega.nz/#!yYlwTDoR!YyDW_6MyErnYoKk-O8WPOqdlEQfJ4oqkeLUapCYkwgw

for that one Australian, the thread died yesterday I don't know if you did get a chance to see my post

Estou procurando alguma série ou filme em português (do brasil) que possa assistir no Netflix, além de 3%. Alguma recomendação?

It's progressing slowly but I've just started about a month ago. I enjoy Lingvist also, but I use both assuming that multiple tools is a better approach. Lingvist is comfy though and I like that it is something you can do when you just have a few minutes free and your phone handy.

Lingvist is good, but it sort of bugs me how you only get one sentence per word you learn. There's just not much variation.

How do i learn farsi

>American
Enjoy getting surveyed by Iranian KGB.
>Unfortunately, American citizens must by accompanied by a guide at all times while they are in Iran. This doesn’t me you need to have an extremely structured itinerary (although the itinerary will need to be approved) but your guide must join you as you explore new cities and sites if you stray from the group. Work closely with your guide and tour company to plan your trip so you don’t miss anything while on your group tour.
triphackr.com/how-to-travel-to-iran-as-an-american/

I just want to fuck some aryan ass
Should i learn russian instead

You should neck yourself, fat virgin.

Every fucking time I see or hear the word кeҥeж [keŋež - "summer"], I can't help but hear a distant "WE WUZ" before that keŋ syllable.

Has Sup Forums ruined any other syllables for you?

Easypersian.com

>mega.nz/#!yYlwTDoR!YyDW_6MyErnYoKk-O8WPOqdlEQfJ4oqkeLUapCYkwgw

Whats this?

Dutch books and comics

How do I learn hungarian?

inb4 hang yourself

check the google drive, there should tons of books for Hungarian there

and have this nice Hungarian summer song:
youtube.com/watch?v=UrGS9EARHRc

Like other user said, easpypersian.com
Complete persian (Modern Persian/Farsi) isn't great, but it's ok. Lonely Planet's Farsi phrasebook is, well, just that, with a tiny bit of grammar.
Radio: radio.garden/live/tehran/
Use Pimsleur.

Tbh, just use all the resources you find usable in here:
dropbox.com/sh/fe6umhr6rvw7pn2/AACM15bieW1xO1LZiJ28Qh_Qa?dl=0

What made you learning Farsi?

Going to iran next year, also general interest in the culture/language. What about you (assuming you're studying it)

I'm not studying it, however a family member of mine is married to an Iranian. No idea if he's learning it.

Ah, what language are you learning then?Or did you just randomly see this thread along with "persian/farsi" and went "I'm going in"

I'm the Turkish learner.

What's up with all of this Dutch orientalism ITT?

Not that I'm complaining, after all my favorite painter was an orientalboo.

Coincidence probably. I'm pretty sure I've seen a spanish-learning dutchflag too.

>Russian

Should I just accept the idea I will never pronunce the words the way they should be ? There are too much retarded rules

At least it has rules unlike English.

Post vocaroo:
>Пpивeт, мeня зoвyт ..., я из Фpaнции, я yчy pyccкий язык.

>tumblr-tier comics
Döda dig.

Too ashamed of my gay-sounding voice to do that desu

vocaroo.com/i/s0mYq27sBM7k

I did it, so can you. And I'm not even learning the language, I just learned the alphabet a long time ago.

that's not a gay-sounding voice though

Je te prie, mec ;)
Not bad for someone who "only" learnt the alphabet. Although it's Гoллaндии, not Хoллaндии.

vocaroo.com/i/s05CMoulz6NS
n-no bully

I like the Pepes you posted

Anyone here learn any Indian/south Asian languages? How difficult did you find them, are there many complex rules or is it fairly straightforward?

To narrow it down I'm interested in Hindi/Urdu or Panjabi
>Soon to be the majority languages in my cunt

>il ne peut pas même appeler son prénom
Pédé. En tout cas, ton accent est assez bon, et il ne sonne pas homosexuel du tout.

It's gonna be hard user

desu my name is weird in russian (Thomas - Фoмa )

If you want to learn Hindi or Urdu the main choice I think is whether you like Devanagari or Perso-Arabic script more. Devanagari suits Hindustani phonology much better, while Perso-Arabic is esthetically more pleasing (but it has lots of shortcomings, honestly speaking).

Hindustani has case markers, it has masculine and feminine genders, makes use of postpositions instead of prepositions; it has nasal vowels, retroflex consonants, and it makes distinction between aspirated and non-aspirated sounds.
Non, c'est normal.

Most foreign people can't speak Russian without accent even if they are 100% grammar fluent,
but Russian of theese two guys are AMAZING

it's hard to believe that they are not native speakers and didn't grow up here

youtube.com/watch?v=vo6aCw7PaWI

I know another one (I meant him talking about "two guys") but I can't find yet, it's an american photografer

Except he's got a villager's rustic intonations and manner of speech.

youtube.com/watch?v=fUiNdrBTL_o he speaks the native language

so it's not a trick, or fake

he just perfect in Russian

neat

His parents moved there in 1994 so that guy is more or less native

Any tips for learning the horrid vocab of a language that is German?
>auffassen, erfassen, fassen
this kind of shit that I always have to Google to find out the difference in meaning it has only to the natives... it's fucking enraging

Who are you btw? And what are you doing in Austria?

Croatian, but living here for now.

hinative.com/en-US/questions/564175

I think you simply have to learn it the hard way

Come to think of it, it's pretty similar to phrasal verbs in English (to give up, to give in, to hang up, to hang out, to hang in, etc.). All of those have entirely different meanings, and in many cases of the exact preposition/particle is completely unrelated to the meaning of the phrasal verb.

It's the same in German, only that prepositions and particles go at the beginning of the verb rather than after, so you have aufmachen, zumachen, ausmachen, einmachen, etc., and just like English there are many cases where the exact preposition/particle seems unrelated to the meaning of the verb. Also, in case you're unaware, when they're conjugated the preposition/particle goes to the end of the sentence (e.g. "Ich mache das Fenster zu.", which means "I close the window.", from the verb "zumachen").

Of course, just like with phrasal verbs in English, there are also many cases where the preposition/particle makes perfect sense, e.g. "mitkommen" which means "to come with".

That was just an example though, I wanna know if there exists a simpler way to learn this kind of crap? I already went on the same link today though lol

German learner here. I find it difficult too. More times than not though, a lot of them are synonyms or so close in meaning that it's not a huge deal if you don't get them.

>fassen: to grasp
>erfassen: to catch/grab
>auffassen: to grasp (knowledge/understanding)
All are based on fassen which is the root so all of them will have something to do with "holding on" or "grabbing". context should provide enough info for when auffassen means in terms of understanding.
This. He explains it better than me.

The same in Dutch so things like this when I learned German always came natural to me.

Do Dutch verbs often use the same prepositions/particles as their German counterpart? For example, how would you say that sentence in Dutch ("Ich mache das Fenster zu.")?

Damnit. Takes a lot of time to learn those and internalize and be able to use each and every verb and nuance of it. Took me a long time to acquire that kind knowledge in English. And I kind of need German now. Aber ja alledings kann ich schon genügend Deutsch, aber da besteht denn dieses Wortschatzproblem, und es ist schwierig sich genau ausdrücken zu können, ohne wie ein Flüchtling zu klingen...

Often yes.
Common would be 'Ik doe het raam dicht' but more close to your sentence 'ik maak het venster dicht'.

Dutch sounds to me like German with English pronunciation in many instances and with many more ch's unlike in German, how'd you describe? Was thinking of learning Dutch after becoming good enough in German.

German's retarded little brother.

>Took me a long time to acquire that kind knowledge in English
I'd say, for German, just continue learning core vocabulary. Unlike English phrasal verbs, separable verbs in German are treated as being different from non-separable verbs (so "machen" and "zumachen" are different verbs). Therefore, if you continue learning the most common German verbs, you'll be able to learn the relevant separable ones, which should help you with most situations you're likely to encounter IRL. And with time, as long as you keep expanding your vocab, eventually you'll learn more and more.

For now, I'd recommend just focusing on learning the most relevant verbs, without paying too much heed to whether or not they're separable.

thegermanprofessor.com/top-100-german-verbs/

Here's an example of what I meant. In that list, you have "sehen", "aussehen" and "ansehen", all listed as being different verbs from one another. And as you can see, there aren't that many separable verbs in the top 100.

ayy
Alright fair enough, sound advice. Danks mate

bump

Obligatory telegram group shill.

t.me/joinchat/EfK1jEP62gdzqVlszCZ2cw

Shitposting and occasional /lang/ discussion, feel free to come join us.

Hey there's some German verb questions so I'll toss mine in: is there a clue or hint on how to remember reflexive verbs? It seems just brute force memorization since they make no sense. ex. Ich schaue mir den Fernsehen an. I have no idea why this requires reflexivity.

>telegram
what is it?

If it's like French then I don't think there's any way other than brute force memorization. Probably if you look at the etymology of the verb then you can figure it out, but doing so would obviously be even more hassle than simply memorizing if it's reflexive or not.

deutsch.lingolia.com/de/grammatik/verben/reflexive
lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/Grammatik/Reflexiv/Reflexiv.html

Just a messaging app for mobile, web, PC

Don't you people ever get tired of pissing away time on shitty gimmicks? All you need is an introductory grammar guide, a decent grammar reference, a decent dictionary tool, a metric arseload of reading and a spaced repetition revision tool for rapid vocab acquisition.
All of those shitty programs like Duolingo are artificially slowing you down will providing a false sense of progression. If you want to get better at a language, you need to fucking read. A lot. It's the most effective method.

Telegram is a transmission of written messages by signal, wire or broadcast

Agreed on Duolingo, it does strike me as a bit gimmicky, but speaking > reading imo

Reading is good, but actually having to synthesise your own sentences in target language is the natural progression of this. Having a penpal is good to start with because you have the time to make sure the messages you're writing are correct. Eventually moving onto spoken conversations means you'll have to be confident in the sentences you create and produce the language fast enough to not sound like a disabled person. That's obviously harder, but much more rewarding.

That said, I guess it depends on what your goals are. Some people might only need to be able to read a language

Duolingo isn't my favorite either. I find it annoying and it doesn't seem to work all that well for me. Lingvist is less gimmicky, in my opinion. You read, you learn vocab (spaced repetition). It's not a comprehensive tool, none of them are, but it's useful. When you finish you have 5,000 words and every card is a sentence you have to read. Not bad really.

Have started learning Welsh, does anyone have any tips? This is where i'm at on duolingo right now

Bump

Tatoeba is clearly better than both Lingvist and Clozemaster, for the simple reason that it actually has sentences in Mari.

What language should I learn if I want to meet the weeb girl of my dreams?

You already know how to read the alphabet, right? Wiktionary and some other sites has some useful notes on Welsh, mostly mutations:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Welsh_mutations
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Welsh_conjugation
bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zsv8wmn/revision
fanad.net/mut01.pdf

I'm still finding a Welsh forum.

are you a viet

Yes, I am hanging here quite often. You can ask the Canadian.

Lingvist *is* spaced-repetition software.

The advantage it has over other SRS software is that the wordlist is a frequency dictionary (most common words) compiled by datamining real sources like websites and it teaches
you the most common words first. In other words it's a better SRS. It also has a grammar reference for the words you learn.

The only problem is that they are going to start charging for it one day, but it's still free at the moment.

toki! tenpo mute pini la, jan pi tomo toki ni li toki e ijo pi toki pali, li kama sona e ona. jan ni o, tenpo ni la, sina li lon ni anu seme? tenpo ni la, sina pali e seme?

I used to study japanese with a digital copy of genki, but I just have a difficult time being consistent with a digital textbook. I finally bought a physical copy and it's a lot better for me

TRANSLATE PLZ

Boolits

1. Prospective model of the ballistic knife for civilian purpose.
Ammo: 9x17 or 9x18 PM with smoothbore tube 12.7x35
Signal 15mm bullets
2. Spring-loaded ballistic knife
3. Pneumatic ballistic knife

retroflex consonants make it sound like you are doing a racist accent lmao, i use it all the time

*for civilian use

Let's have some nice language gainz today /lang/bros

awesome bro thanks

now this plz

Maybe someone else will do, I'm at work.

Any good French youtubers who do history stuff?

Pimsleur doesn't give enough time to respond. I need a second to think when first learning something new. I realize fast responses are normal in conversation, but, damn.

Ich fasse mir an den Kopft, dass du nicht erfasst, was der Unterschied ist

youtube.com/user/notabenemovies

>speaking practice
>1 hour
man, I don't even speak ANY language for that much time in any given day, let alone a language I'm in the process of learning

You'd have to be in a very specialized course or have access to natives in order to undergo such a hardcore routine, so 1 hour of practice wouldn't be that much in practice.

bump

What is genuinely better between french and german.

I feel like France offers far more in a cultural and country sense but also it seems to be the most doomed country in Europe. While Germany might be able to sort itself