Why did it suck?

Why did it suck?

i liked it, i also liked IM3 which nerds also hate

Well I don't know much about Josh Whedon but from what I observed it seemed like he saw people creaming their pants over how unbelievably fantastically funny the first Avengers was with its quips and shit and got a bit too big for his britches.

Then they hinted at a darker tone and more serious story and paid out with something often goofier than the first, but also still trying to be a bit deeper which created a shitty contrast.

Then they made the villain, who was also hinted to be more serious and threatening, a quippy evil Tony Stark with a shitty design and poor CGI.

Tonal shifts. One second it would be trying to be somewhat serious then all of a sudden the tension of the scene is ruined by a shitty joke not appropriate for the situation. See The Hulkbuster fight and Ultron ripping that guys arm off and making a shitty joke

This, 100%. Also Quicksilver shouldn't have died.

This

Joss Wheadon

Avengers already had a script that Whedon did a rewrite one.

AoU was all Whedon.

Never go full Whedon.

Alongside this:

>Hype up Vision as an incredibly OP being who can solo all the Avengers, then give him gamebreaking powers like Vibranium body and Infinity Stone, only to naturally relegate him to "just another Avenger" because if not he'd just breeze through Ultron. This also screws up any movie Vision is going to be in afterward; see Civil War
>Thor subplot is the definition of "half-assed"; "Let me just take a dip in this pool (check out my pecs, bra) and thrash around a bit, alright now I know everything"
>Ultron's Prime body can go toe-to-toe with Iron Man and Captain America at the least and there's no reason he can't make hundreds of those but he relies on shit-tier Sentries and even reks his only other Prime body for the sake of making a point when he upgrades
>Ultron absolutely obliterates Helen Cho with his laser... oh wait no she's fine, wtf
>Quicksilver is faster than a speeding bullet but doesn't just move Hawkeye and little bitch out of the way for the sake of "muh heroic sacrifice"
>Ultron doesn't leave *any* backups in case he gets rekt; I thought he was a genius robot, not a retard. Oh wait, gotta kill off every villain at the end of the movie, my bad, no way we could've used him for another Marvel film, it's not like his shitty quippy self wouldn't have fit in with a GotG movie or something, an Annihilation Conquest adaption wouldn't have been fun...

Don't forget Quicksilver's death and the jokes there.

It was bad imo because Ultron was never really that big of a threat, nor was he ever threatening.

I liked AoU, overall way better than Avengers 1, however I disliked IM3, I think people dislike both movies because the enemies sucked (Something common in MCU), but they not only sucked, they literally changed their personality.

The Mandarin - Ancient wise chink with a huge variety of powerups > Britbong comedy relief

Ultron - Cold merciless genius psychopath with daddy issues > Quipping machine with daddy issues

would have been better if they let ultron live.

why did whedon think james spader's voice was scary. it sounds like he's holding in a giant shit, it's weird but not scary.

>Hulk X Black Widow romance comes out of absolutely nowhere and is a bore

>Ultron's motivations seem to change in just about every scene he's in

And I was thinking about it, but were there really any real impacts made upon the MCU by the film? Like, it's supposed to be THE AVENGERS 2 but it doesn't have much more of an impact than like... Iron Man 2, or Thor 2. Hell, Thor 2 might've had bigger impact, it revealed Infinity Stones and shit.

>WAYYYYYY too many quips, even compared the first characters, ergo no consistent tone
>too many characters for them to get fleshed out
>Ultron was just a discount Loki
>another climax versus endless CGI goons
>too much setups for next movies
>clusterfuck action scenes

Age of Ultron has its moments, though. The farmhouse stuff is great character building, that opening battle does a good job of showing off the Avengers talents as a team, and that hulkbuster fight was pretty good too. It had the same problem as Batman v Superman, it was so concerned with setting up future movies it forgot to have a compelling story of its own and Ultron ends up being a footnote in his own movie. It's why Civil War is the superior movie - it's all about the conflict between Iron Man and Captain America, and besides cameos from Spider-Man and Black Panther it's mostly self contained.

there was a flying truck and everyone in the theater laughed

Ultronacted like General Grievous, not like a superintelligent AI.

I'm not even ashamed to admit it, that bittersweet Steve and Peggy dance scene made me emotional like a 16-year-old tumblrina.

>implying

> Iron Man's and Captain America's faces are exposed
REEEEEEEEEE!

>Directed by sjWheedon
There is your answer

Joss Whedon

Whedon.

It still sucked less than Avengers 1, though.

>Hulk X Black Widow romance comes out of absolutely nowhere and is a bore
desu this was my main problem with the movie.

I loved the scene where Vision and Ultron talked after the Sokovia fight. I always thought it was too good for the movie.

I believed it was Whedon's intention to make the movie self-contained enough that people could watch it and get it without having the watch the rest of the Phase 2 slate.

An admirable effort, but it also made the movie seem superfluous and slightly repetitive.

It was great and better than the first.