How come The Melvins never became more popular? Kurt was a roadie for them and worked on Houdini at one point...

How come The Melvins never became more popular? Kurt was a roadie for them and worked on Houdini at one point, Shirley Temple’s daughter played the bass in the early albums and the band is credited to be one of the main influences on grunge and sludge.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wOCGf5RPn5E
www87.zippyshare.com/v/ZtsUlvrH/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lack of image / stupid lyrics / inaccessible sound

>expecting the public to like good things

because buzz osborne doesn't look like kurt cobain or eddie vedder or chris cornell and his voice isn't easy to like for normies who can get over his looks. however the same can be said about alice in chains as i just said for melvins. disregard everything i said nevermind

Their place in music history is probably just where dale & buzzo want it to be.

youtube.com/watch?v=wOCGf5RPn5E

because they're actually good

Wasn’t Buzz jealous of Kurt’s success?

What the fuck are you talking about? Layne and Jerry were very attractive men and their early videos clearly fucking play on that. Even the other two are attractive by grunge standards

Mudhoney would probably be a better comparison

Buzz doesnt have anywhere near the melodic songwriting ability or voice of Kurt Kobain.

>melodic songwriting ability
Is this the new way of saying "muh deep lyrics"?

No i think he literally means the melody of the singing. Buzz's vocals are more yelling and their stuff is not very catchy amd accessible to a mainstream audience. I fucking love them though. I saw them at a festival in quebec and they killed it. They were the only band that came onstage, played a set, and left without saying a word

Roman Bird Dog is pretty catchy.

why would you want the melvins to be as popular as nirvana? could you imagine how awful that would be?

Who is the best Melvins bassist and why is it Joe Preston?

No, the main thing of Nirvana was Kurt's power pop songwriting skills (he notably claimed Nevermind without distortion would sound like Cheap Trick). He had an ear for melody and harmony on things few would notice. If anything, the lyrics are the wastable thing on Nirvana.

I thinks its because of the lyrics which are by far the cringiest ive heard in metal. i guess straight edge people cant get beyond that kindergarten poem level though... maybe if they had a drink and smoked a doobie every now and then they would be charting higher. but who cares about popularity anyway.

Buzz had an image

No but Buzz pretty much says that his lyrics are there to be there and are mostly meaningless. Try to make sense of the lyrics on revolve, it's mostly crap

90's Melvins are one of my favorite bands but I can't get into their stuff past that as much. Is there anything else like it? Where else do I go after I've worn the Melvins the fuck out?

He looked like he was in an Eraserhead tribute band. Try to sell that

You're a fucking retard.

>How come The Melvins never became more popular?

Fucking look at him.

this

Shittiest post in the thread, DUDE WEED LMAO

Lol

kek

They didn't make catchy accessible songs like the big four of grunge.

yeah this band never had much crossover potential. even stoner witch which was supposed to be their most commercial album has a bunch of weird ass shit on it. it's fine though. just because a band is good or even great doesnt mean they will be famous as fuck

From where you heard that they're straight edge? Some of their lyrics make reference to weed

melvins arent straight edge

I mean these days, yes, but certainly not back in the 90s

I think the main difference between Buzz and Kurt is that Buzz is a punk at heart and he never cared about fame while Kurt had that punk attitude too,and was really honest with his art,he wanted to be a star just a tiny bit more than Buzz.There's this story about how Mark Deutrom got kicked out of the band.After Atlantic Records droped (the)Melvins ,Mark set up all this meetings to get them signed back and Buzz got fed up with it and kicked him out.
Like think about it, Mark wanted to put (the)Melvins back on a major label and Buzz kicks him out of the band.That's why their not famous.THEY NEVER WANTED TO BE

(BUT IS THIS STORY TRUE? CAUSE I DONT REMEBER WHERE I'VE HEARD IT)

sorryt faor gramamtical erroesrs i habe super auts

Interesting story. They sure seem to run through a lot of bassists. I always thought it was cool how much the bassists seem to bring to their sound even though they don't seem to get much credit for it. I feel like every lineup had its own flavor.

Lori had played in the best albums though

>Is this the new way of saying "muh deep lyrics"?

The fuck are you talking about?

It means the ability to write good MELODIES.

The fact people are acting why a band with ugly slow sludge riffs and a guy with a below average voice yelling over them, often without a good melody is less popular than Nirvana

Because sludge-metal isn't as catchy as Smells Like Teen Spirit.

they're too sludgy for the mainstream

A great example of a "live" band
I never cared for them until I saw them open for Helmet

Lol, I heard buzz in a 2015 interview say he's been golfing and doing LSD a lot

Because they have a massive discogrophy and only about 1/5 of it is worthwhile

>kurt is attractive, therefore more marketable
>kurt had catchier melodies, better singing voice and better songwriting abilities
>kurt also went more accessible with his music unlike the melvins
also the melvins are a certifiable metal band, why would they get popular? thats like asking why Earth didn't get popular even though kurt was good friends with Dylan

>Is there anything else like it?
literally any black sabbath/melvins influenced band, like boris or down

The real answer Is that MTV never really gave them a solid push.
Unlike every other grunge era band that became popular

Thanks, I know that was kind of a dumb question. I like both of those bands and I guess Boris's sludgey stuff is probably the closest you can get.
I just like that heavy, but kind of minimalist sound that the Melvins and early Boris have.

There's was just SOOOOOO much shit just being thrown out there at the time.
The 2 years after Nirvana Nevermind they were just tossing anything and everything out just to see what would stick. Melivins just got lost in a sea of Ween and Mudhoney and babes in toyland and sonic Youth and tool and etc etc etc

Karp's first LP is eerily close to early Melvins

Nigga looks like Frankie Muniz though.

/r/ Lysol

can't find a good copy anywhere - been searching on and off for months.

here's melvins - lysol
its 320 mp3 kbps

www87.zippyshare.com/v/ZtsUlvrH/file.html

correct me if dumb but this is just a notepad file - found this rar before

>How come The Melvins never became more popular?
Lack of music industry promotion in the late 90's. They instead went the "post-grunge" direction. Then it kinda turned towards nu-metal, rap, etc.

Gotta keep those goats square eyed.

ok found them in the archive of the document nvm

i uploaded it myself its not a notepad file, how else would i be able to tell you its 320 kbps

Retarded looking frontman with the atitude of an edgy 12 year old

Retarded looking front man should've shot you to the top of the early 90s

I just d/l it, it's legit.

well the way it downloaded to me was odd. had to force open it with the zip/unzip app i use.
not ever seen this happen before.

my apologies and infinite thanks.
i snapped my lysol CD a few years back and have never got round to repurchasing it - figured i'd look for a digital copy.

thank you user.

Isn't that every Grunge band? And every Metal band?

>Isn't that every Grunge band?
No it's every band past 1965

That's when you started to need a wacky hat or a wacky hairdo to set yourself apart.

ehh not really, Buzz had to rerecord all her parts 'cause she was too fucked up to play on the recordings. watching videos of her live is pretty painful

Um no, the most open secret about Nirvana was that they were selling pop music with distortion. Calm your tits kid

>1965

Nah, it wasn't until the 80's punk/new wave/metal that bands started dressing like retards to sell music.

Arguably started with the early Beatles and their "mop tops"

I do wished he did more with the singing. Make it droney perhaps. Like an arabic call to prayer or something.

Melvins are kind of cursed.
Every band they have been friendly with or worked with have either to have way more success or been way better.
Earth and Nirvana being the main 2.

>lyrics are there to be there
That's like saying "the pain is on the wall because there needed to be paint on the wall".

King Buzzo's awful lyrics seem to be a result of being too insecure to ever express anything genuine through his lyrics

It's literally garbage word soup, not even cool in an abstract way

>It's literally garbage word soup
Because you're a retard.

pixies did this when i saw them, literally just walked out, played like fifteen incredible songs, bowed once and left. based. we managed to get to the rail too, like i was p much 20 feet from francis
>tfw my favourite song in the whole world is hey, but at the time when i saw the pixies i wasn't that into it and i wasn't really bothered
hurts

This would sound really cool with Buzz's voice.

idk people just say that but why would he be? he make a living doing melvins what more could you want?

remember if you got buzz on the phone: everything you say is recorded!

bump

no problem dude but have you never downloaded an album off of a file sharing service, they're almost all zips or a torrent

If he was, I'd pin him as a trust fund baby. The fact that you can play music and tour, let alone tour with just yourself and an acoustic guitar, is a fucking dream. If you become a whiny bitch in spite of all that, then your brain is a fucking worthless piece of flesh that needs a bullet ripped through it.

as buzz himself said, he'd rather have kurt alive and poor/not famous than famous and dead
same goes for him i guess

Sea of Ween would be a great tribute band name

Which is a damn shame cause Melvins probably influenced and did a lot more for the "indie" scene at the time than Sonic Youth and shit.

Don't mind me, just posting best Melvins album

nirvana made better music, get gud

yes

*blocks your plebeian path*

Would you consider the Cows to be in that category

I think the first album is superior

Stoner Witch [Atlantic, 1994]

I know why they retain their aura of hip. It's because the drummer comes from Aberdeen and used to play in Nir . . . no no, that can't be it--oh, I remember, it's that they're pure. They're always slow, always ugly, always protodeath, always protoindustrial. And always slow. Faster here, actually, up to Sabbath speed at times, with nine minutes of din at the end to shore up their cred. If you're young and depressed and too bright or not too bright, this sound may speak to your condition, and far be it from me to suggest volunteering for Rock the Vote instead. The rest of us can read about them. C

Bands that have good melodic/songwriting ability like Nirvana did rarely stay in the underground long.

2deep4 plebs like this guy.

Try listening to something like Hung Bunny and then Come As You Are and you'll see why the Melvins didn't make it to MTV.

He looks like Frankie Muniz had a bad hair day.

fact: christgau review scores are entirely based around how much groupie pussy he thinks the artist gets

Stoner Witch is actually a pretty fair Black Sabbath rip.

I mean, he's probably not wrong. I doubt too many chicks wet their panties over Buzz. Their music is as fedoracore as it gets.

t. Doesn't know what a trust fund baby is

Dude shut the fuck up. Just cause the popular girl in your American lit class doesnt know who they are doesnt mean they aren't popular. Get your head out of your fucking ass. An original Stoner witch can go for as high as 100 bucks.

Yeah notice that the Big Four grunge bands had hunky frontmen with long hair that girls thought were cute.

>fedoracore
Now insult them with an insult that actually means something and preferably less dated

Isn't Rock The Vote just a vehicle to elect Democrat candidates?

I'm sorry I hurt the Rush/Swans fan's fee-fees with that post.