/trad/ general

A thread for discussing traditional and regional musics from around the world. Post what you're listening to, request recommendations and share music with each other.

Archive for my uploads: mega.nz/#F!095RxbjT!L70EOLIUfZjS_f3D7YKfsg

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/label/230998-World-Library-Of-Folk-And-Primitive-Music
youtube.com/watch?v=aVaXoai9piE
youtube.com/watch?v=rwycwmNROxU
youtube.com/watch?v=pCV1WSf9VaI
youtube.com/watch?v=FI3iX8WtzaM
youtube.com/watch?v=mrCE897d9nU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just started listening to this anthology series that I found on Spotify yesterday. 13 volumes from different regions, six of which are from the US.

Does anyone have any records from this series?

The following are on RuTracker:
Vol 1 - England
Vol 3 - Scotland
Vol 7 - India
Vol 8 - France
Vol 14 - Northern & Central Italy

And in addition I also have:
Vol 5 - Yugoslavia
Vol 17 - Romania

discogs.com/label/230998-World-Library-Of-Folk-And-Primitive-Music

Some stuff on SLSK. but well, it's SLSK. So slow, so low quality. Found a few more, but they're encoded really stupidly, with either a full side of the LP as one track, or split into like five or six tracks encompassing multiple actual tracks. Can't have that in my library.

why no irish stuff?

It's on there...

There was a discussion last thread about whether or not solo fiddle from Donegal was a good choice or not, and the other person (from Ireland) suggested either ensemble stuff or Sean-nós. I looked around a bit and found an album which is likely much more representative of Ireland as a whole, and I'd like some input from people more experienced if it's a good choice or not for an update. Pic related.

A record of nothing but Sean-nós I just, personally and subjective, find too boring and likely wouldn't attract a lot of people to Irish traditional music, but I could be wrong. I also feel like that's not what most people would think of when they hear the words "Irish traditional music", even though it definitely is.

Fuck off Hampus, this is just randomly picked stuff by specific groups in areas with way larger and diverse traditional cultures

Of course it's specific groups in areas with way larger and diverse traditional cultures. There's literally no way to fit every culture's musical heritage in a representative way into a chart like this. If you have input on how to improve it, I'd love to hear it.

Almost finished the first volume of this, and it's definitely leaning more towards what I guess most would call "world" music, rather than traditional music. That is, music played on contemporary instruments, modern folk music and more popular music. Still a good listen, but not necessarily super relevant from a traditional perspective.

Does your archive uploads contain music from the Philippines?

All uploads are tagged with country, so it's easy to check for yourself! But no, not at the moment. I could upload what I have from the Philippines, though.

Oh, i assumed Philippine music was in the SEA zip. I'd appreciate it if you uploaded it to the archive tho. :3

Nothing on that record from the Philippines unfortunately, but yeah stay tuned and I'll have two records up.

Thank you

I'm looking for samoan choral music recordings like the ones used in the movie "Moana with sound" (a re-edit of flaherty's classic by his daughter who taveled back there and recorded a soundtrack to the original silent film)

youtube.com/watch?v=aVaXoai9piE

They're up

I haven't seen the film, but the JVC series Music of Polynesia has some songs that are similar to what's in that trailer.

god bless you OP

Thanks man, you have any traditional Russian music by any chance?

Very nice album with traditional Scottish music surrounding the two Jacobite Rebellions. Anybody got albums similar to this but with Irish songs?

Sure, uploading a few things for you to the archive.

Damn man you are the best, thanks for that!

I didn't even know there were threads for this kinda stuff.

Recently been getting into old Delta and Texas Blues and Gospel, any stuff anyone would recommend?

>american primitive vol 2
Also this is something I recently checked out that I really enjoyed

youtube.com/watch?v=rwycwmNROxU

French-Canadian woman singing a traditional church hymn

Skip James - Complete 1931 Sessions
Peg Leg Howell - Complete Recordings in Chronological Order
Henry Thomas - "Ragtime Texas": Complete Recorded Works
Washington Phillips - The Key to the Kingdom
Rev. Utah Smith & Rev. Lonnie Farris - Slide Guitar Gospel
Two Gospel Keys & Sister O.M. Terrell - Country Gospel
VA - When I Reach That Heavenly Shore: Unearthly Black Gospel 1926-1936
Texas Alexander - Complete Recordings in Chronological Order
Charley Patton - Founder of the Delta Blues

The man who invented trad music

Are u the real hampus?

Thanks man

Yes of course.

Hi!

Hello!

Now completed.

I see Scotland isn't on there. If you're looking for Scottish music I can't recommend The Royal Scots Dragoon Guard enough. Best pipe band ever and also the old cavalry regiment in the British army.

youtube.com/watch?v=pCV1WSf9VaI

I find it unfair to group England, Wales and Scotland into the one nation, they all have their own very distinct traditional music

youtube.com/watch?v=FI3iX8WtzaM

One of my fav versions of Hårgalåten desu

real shame she never recorded any albums as far as i know.
another "classic" from Hälsingland.
youtube.com/watch?v=mrCE897d9nU

10 page bump

With all the SLSK ones I've found, this is what I have so far, still missing many.

If anyone has anything, please share.

You guys know any RYM lists for this? i go into very autismal downloading sprees from lists, so I might as well have it be great music.

Sorry, don't use RYM (anymore) so I wouldn't know.