Why does bleep bloop music in 2018 still all sound like it could be on this album...

why does bleep bloop music in 2018 still all sound like it could be on this album? has there been no progress in 25 years or is Richard in that tier of genius visionary where he was so ahead of his time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2GnFvdaEl2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=itRkCXJh_Sw
youtube.com/watch?v=Tqfg6NuJo2c
youtube.com/watch?v=UaaIlC_MFL8
youtube.com/watch?v=HBgJa_T3gNE
youtube.com/watch?v=zOKDuKbjhu0
youtube.com/watch?v=-Vd2nyk-4Lo
youtube.com/watch?v=0d1ZbIhdETg
youtube.com/watch?v=uERIXLWeik0
youtube.com/watch?v=H42Jo5kC7hs
youtube.com/watch?v=6m5du_V0_UI
youtube.com/watch?v=KnQrfDNJRkA
youtube.com/watch?v=XeWdH9X7X3A
youtube.com/watch?v=WTBsxt-Zshc
youtube.com/watch?v=UKoRNIRlPU4.
thequietus.com/articles/08802-venetian-snares-last-step-interview-sleep
youtube.com/watch?v=ELPSlW6NCvI&t=50s&ab_channel=ninauploadz
youtube.com/watch?v=JDItv-Ew6Fk&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=tvy8qx7o5uk&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=CHfsz9YTTPo&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=17
youtube.com/watch?v=e7qbvwND_hM&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=23
youtube.com/watch?v=JBldVJnzdnM&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=63
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology
pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not really

Aphex Twin has always been behind the trends. Nothing on SAW85-92 is different to the plethora of Acid House and Detroit Techno releases in 1989. Nothing from his RDJ Album beats Jungle tunes from 1993. Don't get me started on Drukqs: a pale imitation of Satie-esque minimalism from the early 20th century.

>85-92
>1989
>behind on trends

Also SAW was way more melodic than the techno that was coming out at the time, and had different percussion (note the annoying snare clap only being used on one track while it was all over the techno releases). I don't need to go into the variation in tempo and how SAW set a golden standard for an electronic music album as opposed to single releases, something which some of today's biggest DJs struggle with.

kek, that album aged like milk though

>SAW is more meolidc than this
youtube.com/watch?v=2GnFvdaEl2Q

>SAW has better drums than this
youtube.com/watch?v=itRkCXJh_Sw

Not to mention that Aphex Twin is an outright plagiarist.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tqfg6NuJo2c
youtube.com/watch?v=UaaIlC_MFL8

pianos and shit synths don't make a song melodic, the mix on that is truly awful

and the rhythm on Galaxy is good but tracks like Heliosphan are still better in their creative use of drum sounds

>you can never use these three chords again now that i looped them for 4 minutes

What the fuck are you on about? Are you talking about electronic music overall or just "ambient techno"? Because you're wrong on both accounts.

this

It doesnt.

>what is matmos

go back to watmm

>all bleep music sounds like it could be on selected ambient works
you need to get out more

Zurkas Tepla - Permanent Resarch(2017)
Song - Barking Mouth, Sleeping Tongue, Moaning Cunt
Genres - idm, progressive electronic, post-indistrial

Listen and maybe you'll retract that statement.

This is typical Sup Forumstant discovered another section of Sup Forumscore and thinks they know everything

Bait or stupid. SAW has aged quite a bit to be honest, none of it is impressive. Don't tell me that anything off of Drukqs could be found on SAW ffs.

I retract the statement of "none of it is impressive". I didn't mean none of it is impressive, more just in the context of what new ideas it brings to the table in 2018. Even back then, it was still pretty average, many dance records from the 80s are on par with SAW

youtube.com/watch?v=HBgJa_T3gNE
This album is honestly a lot more impressive electronic dance album from an even earlier date.

>Don't get me started on Drukqs: a pale imitation of Satie-esque minimalism from the early 20th century.
Did you even listen to the other half of the album?

are you insane?

no, not with the soul that record had. You can keep going on and on about the technicalities, but in the end it's about what the music does to you. Sure, Rich was a teenager when he made a lot of this, learned all the old analog equipment by himself. So you're not gonna get a full on professional album from the get go. But the ideas and atmospheres he brought to the table were mostly unmatched.

>watched Fantano Classic Review once

>youtube.com/watch?v=zOKDuKbjhu0
>youtube.com/watch?v=-Vd2nyk-4Lo
>youtube.com/watch?v=0d1ZbIhdETg
>youtube.com/watch?v=uERIXLWeik0
>youtube.com/watch?v=H42Jo5kC7hs
>youtube.com/watch?v=6m5du_V0_UI
"no"

>youtube.com/watch?v=KnQrfDNJRkA
>youtube.com/watch?v=XeWdH9X7X3A
And I'm not even scratching the surface of well known acts

>it's another underage Aphex Twin fan fellates Richard's cock and dismisses everyone's else opinion episode
nothing to see here folks

I don't really care for Gob.

Ok since this is the only thread remotely resembling actual /bleep/ can you guys recommend me similar stuff to youtube.com/watch?v=WTBsxt-Zshc
or youtube.com/watch?v=UKoRNIRlPU4.
I hope you get the gist and/or are willing to help.

Not OP and I find his statement ridiculous but some of the stuff you posted could easily be made by Autechre in the 90s. I mean actual legit of these are probably Sophie and Igloo as they actually have an actual post 2010ish sound.

yeah, you know better than to actually ask /bleep/.
listen to the R&S back catalogue. have fun user

that gif is disgusting. It's not funny ironically and plain retarded and haughty when used unironically.
>opinion disregarded

Not to hate cause I love the guy but real question should've been something along these lines:
"why does Aphex Twin music in sounds like it could be on this album?"

go fuckin jerk off to ventolin you wrinkly old fuck

DUDE APHEX TWIN LITERALLY INVENTED DISCO AND ALL ITS OFFSHOOTS, BOTH CHICAGO HOUSE AND DETROIT TECHNO, AS WELL AS THE WHOLE UK RAVE SCENE AND EVERYTHING THAT CAME OUT OF THE HARDCORE CONTINUUM

You've backed yourself so far into the corner that you're now resorting to "well technically it wasn't new but I like it" to defend your original statement which is complete bullshit

if you dont still listen to SAW then you're a pleb.

>if you dont still listen to that one good album someone made ages ago and which everybody listened so much it's now actually boring then you're a pleb

icbyd is aphex's best album
sosw is rdj's best album if we take all his aliases into account

change that album to Dark Side of the Moon and this is what you actually sound like

if you think it's the best album ever, you're also a pleb

i've done a lot of thinking and i've come to the conclusion that IDM fans are the absolute worst on earth

loool lush pardner

This is one of the most retarded things I've ever read.

it's good but for most people it's not gonna live up to the hype. Oh well, it'll settle down again in a couple of days, after the post-fantano vid buzz has died down

mediocore

meanwhile aphex is up there in scotland prolly not even having heard of Sup Forums Making the next futuristic bloops for us plebs to enjoy

He's becoming very popular again amongst introverted young adults lately. Think it's cause he's got the right amount of mystery and humor about him. And all the 19 year olds have grown up with electronic music, so they're familiar with the sound but it's somehow fresh, and nostalgic as well. And around the time false hopes start to get crushed is the time you just wanna return to simpler times like your childhood. Aphex is an escape in that case. And at least it's tons better than vaporwave

I really sometimes don't get you guys.
This album is great - no doubt. This album also sounds like it was made when it was made. Has it dated poorly? No. There is something about ambient textures that makes it sound kind of timeless but nonetheless if you are familiar with electronic music it really doesn't sound like it was made today or yesterday.
I remember in one interview Aaron Funk said something like: "I don't listen to or draw inspiration from new music cause it sounds dated 5 seconds after release" to which I replied in my head: "that would explain why your every album sounds like it could be recorded 20 years earlier". Music is still kinda cool but you think the guy got stuck in time.
AFX is similar in my opinion, he consistently makes great music that is really heavily rooted in the 90s. I loved Syro - it was my favorite 2014 album but apart from some production choices that album could be made in 1997 no problem.
When I hear SAW nostalgia is one of the main feelings it evokes, it doesn't sound like now and it definitely doesn't sound like future. gets the idea I think. too sadly. I'd take big-room house exclusive listener over IDM exclusive listener any day, at least I can get hammered with the former.

Bullshit, I put it on all the time.
I just wish Green Calx wasn't on it.

god damn this made me dislike the guy desu
thequietus.com/articles/08802-venetian-snares-last-step-interview-sleep

this album cover should be instaban desu

his cats are cool tho

>Iglooghost
>Perturbator
>Sophie
>fucking Alice Glass
"wow"

That first track does the opposite of make your point, the Carl Craig ones a banger though

Green Calx is great though

>BLEEPS FIRED

bitch, listen to rolando simmons or something different. there are plenty of artists that have unique styles and "broke ground" or whatever you want to call it in different areas. Plus you literally posted arguably the worst aphex twin record there is. it's basically aphex-lite and anyone that really enjoys Richard's discography would probably agree with me on this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=ELPSlW6NCvI&t=50s&ab_channel=ninauploadz
Listen to this at 0:50. It's literally the walk of life by dire straits. Oh well, it's one of his unreleased tracks so why not

Electronic music used to be music of the future. They would use it in background music in scifi movies. Now its became so normalized its music of the present. The 90's was the peak of electronic music from a creative and art standpoint.

So what will be the future of popular music?

minecraft demarco

why are normies so impressed with AFX and Autechre I don't get it there's so much better and more interesting stuff

like? link me your patrician tracks then

right? go listen to some qebrus, pilotredsun, rolando simmons or ceephax or some shit.

>ceephax
>ceephax
>ceephax

Jealous of your brother, Tom?

this is a very angry thread, whats made everyone so upset?

youtube.com/watch?v=JDItv-Ew6Fk&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=2

youtube.com/watch?v=tvy8qx7o5uk&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=3

youtube.com/watch?v=CHfsz9YTTPo&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=17

youtube.com/watch?v=e7qbvwND_hM&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=23

youtube.com/watch?v=JBldVJnzdnM&list=FL1mGcjD8cGrym7gFBHFcy2Q&index=63

ceephax ain't tippin' shit dove

move around

qebrus is wannabe autechre and ceephax is wannabe squarepusher. gtfo

first one wont even play in my country and I cant be bothered to go look for it cause its probably bad.
this second one is just a bunch of noise with some drums over the top, its mix very poorly
This third one sounds soooo boring and generic like omg how boring can you get.
this Forth one is just plain bad and kinda sounds like shitty video game music.
and this final one has a copyright strike so I cant listen to it lol. Over all pretty trash. just admit that daddy aphex is good and stop being a hipster lol.

alright, some good things in there. But who says I don't listen to Amon Tobin and oldskool jungle as well? I mean it's good music but def not better than aphex or autechre imo

imagine listening to aphex twin in 2018

hi jessica, got any new info from rich?

baka has to just brush of what I said cause he know IM right, le sigh feels good to be winning this much.

>selecting every single thread in the board just so you can lazily send a fedora pic and think you've won the argument
If everyone around you seems like a fedoratipper, then you're the real fedoratipper

oh wait, every post in the thread, was in the wrong semantic there

There is no future. Since we are the end of history all creativity is dead. You are incapable of picturing a future that isnt a capitalist boot stomping on your face for eternity.

The future of music is the past. The futures people of the past imagined the world to be like but never came.

Its called hauntology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

Ghosts arrive from the past and appear in the present. However, the ghost cannot be properly said to belong to the past. .Does then the ‘historical’ person who is identified with the ghost properly belong to the present? Surely not, as the idea of a return from death fractures all traditional conceptions of temporality. The temporality to which the ghost is subject is therefore paradoxical, at once they ‘return’ and make their apparitional debut. Derrida has been pleased to call this dual movement of return and inauguration a ‘hauntology’, a coinage that suggests a spectrally deferred non-origin within grounding metaphysical terms such as history and identity. . . . Such an idea also informs the well-known discussion of the origin of language in Of Grammatology, where . . . any attempt to isolate the origin of language will find its inaugural moment already dependent upon a system of linguistic differences that have been installed prior to the ‘originary’ moment

Contemporary writers such as theorist Mark Fisher have specifically used the concept of hauntology to describe a sense in which contemporary culture is haunted by the "lost futures" of modernity which were purportedly cancelled in postmodernity and neoliberalism. Hauntology has been described as a "pining for a future that never arrived;"[8] in contrast to the nostalgia and revivalism which dominate postmodernity, hauntological art and culture is typified by a critical foregrounding of the historical and metaphysical disjunctions of contemporary capitalist culture as well as a "refusal to give up on the desire for the future."

simon reynolds was right after all, both idm producers and listeners are smug fags that think this genre is such a revelation, when it depended so much on nonchalant dance music. dance music in itself is one of the least pretentious genres to exist, so idm indeed just made things more boring by having listeners think of shit that is not the music and enjoyment

NO, you suck on cock/ver 10 and call aphex daddy RIGHT NOW. He is the only daddyn I want his cock/ver10 in my Tuss every day while Xtal is playing in the background as the milkman knocks on the door

That Green Calx opinion you have came entirely from this board.

>qebrus is wannabe autechre

you fucking dolt. at least with andy and tom there's genetics and environment at play but if you played autechre and then played qebrus after you would hear a distinct difference.

for someone who is so anti-smug and anti-pretentious you sure sound like a smug, pretentious twat yourself. and who the fuck is simon reynolds anyways and why should I take his opinion as gospel?

what? sr is that pitchfork journalist right? He wrote a small essay in this article on idm. Called it revelations in music. No negativity
pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/

he's a music writer, no one is saying his writing is gospel but he does have valid observation. that might be too much for your dumbass to handle

Actually, since in this day and age tools of music production are in everyone's reach, Richard's expertise has become more "common". Some musicians have come up with very impressive productions (Oneohtrix Point Never, Burial, Arca even), on par with his at least on a technical level. Even some pop musicians have incorporated very decent or very good "electronic" production into their music.

The thing with Richard's work is that it is very idiosyncratic. He's not a producer, he is mainly a composer. He does his own thing and is still good at it; his recently released music shows that he still "has it". I don't view his music as being in competition with other music. It's just what it is.

Regarding that album in particular, IMHO it has aged a little bit.

have you read energy flash?

no, googled it and it's a book he wrote on edm. Might torrent it if I can find it though

just get it from lib gen, it's pretty expansive and well written, but simon does tend to have a very big pro brit bias

>listens only to electronic music released in LP format
>surprised that it all sounds like the work of one of the most rockist-appealing electronic producers ever, the one who probably inspired all of the new LP-releasing shitheads to even start playing with producing

>simon does tend to have a very big pro brit bias
then FUCK him

well, at least you cite your sources i guess. have fun with those articles.

this is not a class lmao, how assblasted can you get about people not liking idm?

there is no artist worth listening too who doesn't use the album format

could be a bit dated, but memes aside, xtal is such a good track. I honestly wanna hear it live at a club at the end of the night and just chill with some friends. It's the best post-rave music ever made

your mom

>this is not a class lmao
don't lmao at your own dad jokes that aren't even remotely funny.

>reads simon reynolds and nick land once

please don't cry out of anger