Question for you lads who know your stuff. In Whiplash...

Question for you lads who know your stuff. In Whiplash, was the guy actually fucking up when Fletcher kept giving him shit? Like, were the drum parts actually off tempo or whatever?

he was just fucking around with him

He was off time with the double-time swing, but barely enough to even make a difference. Fletcher just wanted to push him to his absolute limit.

the teacher was a hack

reminder that the anecdote about charlie parker isn't actually true and fletcher is unequivocally the villain in this movie

It's a psychological thriller boyo. You're supposed to be in two minds about it. But Fletch was probably just pushing him as hard as possible.

he was off tempo, but it was barely noticeable
Fletcher just wanted to fuck with him, because he thought that's how you create greate musicians.

Watching this film with my family was tense.
Everyone else insisted Fletcher was being abusive and wouldn't listen to me when I said he was doing it to test Niemann's resolve and push him to achieving his full potential.

>Everyone else insisted Fletcher was being abusive and wouldn't listen to me when I said he was doing it to test Niemann's resolve and push him to achieving his full potential.
your family was right. congratulations on looking like an autist. the rest of your family is probably hoping you never have kids now

You're both right. Fletcher was being abusive, and that's why he was doing it.

No, bitch, it's because I've been through shit the rest of my family hasn't been through.
I got relentlessly bullied through school and learnt through experience the only way to survive was by hitting people back ten times as hard, giving them a bloody nose. It fucking worked.
My cousins were growing up in a home with both of their parents. While my mum worked late my step-dad was beating seven kinds of shit out of me for daring to stand up to him
When you go through shit it hardens you.
Stop being a fucking pussy.

lol you're gonna end up beating the fuck out of your kids and getting put in prison. you fucking idiot hahahaha you got abused as a kid and you think it was a good thing

They're not off tempo, that's the whole point

It made me a better person than you, spineless beta fat fuck.

hahahaah have fun telling the cops you raped your son to prepare him for life moron

Have fun starving and freezing to death the first winter after civilization collapses, because you grew up in bubble wrap and never learnt how to be self sufficient or stand up for yourself.

hahahahaha retard

so you think you have to be abused as a child in order to not be a pussy?
are you retarded, or just rationalizing?

he thinks ptsd makes you cool instead of a dysfunctional freak that everyone hates

Judging from the reaction of my family and everyone else here to merely seeing adversity on a fucking screen, I'd say yeah, it did a better fuckin job of preparing me for life than you've ever got from being pampered like a little bitch.

Damn, that beating really fucked you up

prepared you for life by causing you to fuck up your relationship with your entire family lmfao

good bait t b h, solid 9/10

>because I've been through shit
HAHAHA
>I got relentlessly bullied through school
HAHAHAHA
>My cousins were growing up in a home with both of their parents
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>When you go through shit it hardens you.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
And the cherry on top:
>posts on Sup Forums
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the stereotype lives!

I grew up in the hungarian countryside. I know how to tend to animals, and had to kill rabbits and chicken as a child, and then process them with just a knife. We weren't rich. Now I'm a software dev in Vienna, and have my own place.
I was not pampered, and although my parents got divorced, my family loves me, and i was never abused aside from some bullying in elementary school.
So once again, you don't have to have a sociopathic father to be a functional adult, you absolute mongrel.

>made him reach his full potential
>villain

My dad used to beat me off.

*up

Lol

Should've become a musician

He fucked up literally by a hair but Fletcher wanted to mold him into his visage of absolute perfection so he emotionally drained him so that Andrew would solely focus on becoming the best and making Fletcher look like a master teacher of the best.
Unfortunately he's a shit teacher and an abusive fuck who couldn't make it as a jazz musician full time so he takes his resentment out on the vulnerable aka his students and he was basically a pretty accurate depiction of an extremely flawed and pretty much "evil" music teacher
Can't tell if actual fuckup or bait

>fantasizing about the end of the world is the only way he can cope with being abused

I mean, thats understandable
but that still doesn't make people with normal lives "pampered bitches" tho

user it's a common trait among antisocial autists like him as the collapse of society or some civilization ending disaster would give him an environment where his antisocial nature could thrive. It's simply a power fantasy. Pay him no mind.

>functional family prepares you to connect with people and function in society
>dysfunctional family prepares you for living innawoods after the collapse of civilization
yeah well i have an SAS survival manual saved somewhere. if i can find that pdf before my laptop battery dries for the final time i'll be fine

>made him commit suicide
>not a villain

just remember, the end is the last of the kids free will going away, and fletcher tells him the worst words he could hear "good job", then he kills himself after the credits.

i implore you to find compassion in your heart; these aspects of yourself are not "hard": they're not strong, brave, righteous, or masculine, rather, they're cowardly, hateful, evil, and they'll only hurt you in the end, if they haven't already

>Standing up for yourself
>Not brave
Fuck off. Bending over and taking any kind of real abuse is the weakest and most harmful choice you can make.
Rule #1 in any prison is to take a swing if someone's harassing you and accept you'll get the piss beaten out of you one time. But it sends the signal that you're not worth the trouble. Some kid blubbering "uh I'm s-sorry man I don't want any trouble" is the one who gets raped every day.

>Bending over and taking any kind of real abuse is the weakest and most harmful choice you can make.
most harmful? sure. weakest? not until you try being in a position where you have to stand up to people you actually care about.

telling off someone you give barely a shit for isnt bravery, it's "it's either me or him" mechanical instinct.

You guys crack me up

i'm laughing pretty hard rn at the thought of some guy sat around in his dorito and jizz encrusted pants arguing on the internet about how when he's in prison the fact that he had an abusive childhood will ensure his survival

yeah this is exactly right. this movie freaked me the fuck out because i had also been abused by a music teacher (though not to such an extreme degree) and i was the only one in my family who recognized that fletcher was being abusive

double-time swing is not a thing.

Yea you seem like a great well adjusted person haha

I don't think my hearing is pretty good but I really didn't notice anything
I mean we know that Fletcher was just fucking with him but was he ACTUALLY off tempo? can you pinpoint the part where he fucks up? because it sounds absolutely the same to me every time I watch that scene

He was off tempo. The people saying he wasn't clearly don't play their instrument well, that is if they play one. That said, he wasn't that off tempo as to warrant such reaction, but ok.

Sure it is, but it’d have to be viewed as double time over a swing beat.

I mean, it wasn't HIS tempo, not necessarily the incorrect CORRECT tempo, just not HIS tempo.
TL;DR JK simmons can slam my asshole any day what a daddy

xxxtentacion? is that you?

Kekd

Reaching one's full potential is not as important as being healthy
Granted most people irl won't reach full potential because they laze around, but giving up a gf and estranging ur family isn't healthy no matter what

>Stop being a fucking pussy
>he posts on Sup Forums
Holy shit this is actually bringing me down a little.
I'm sorry that happened to you user.
I've got a lot of experience with abused kids and there's like a 100% chance you're getting divorced and probably going to prison later in life. We love you anyway user.

this is pretty sad man. You learned how to never get beaten again but the wounds never healed

I read this article where a guy from Weather Report (I think) was talking about this movie and he said most of the time when Fletcher stops him he hadn't quite been playing long enough to know the tempo