Trap is the metal of hip hop

Okay Sup Forums, I have a prediction, and I want you to gauge me on how accurate this theory is.

I think trap music is emerging to be a clearly distinct style of music separated from hip-hop, akin to how metal emerged from rock music in the late 70s and early 80s. In the 2020s, there are going to be a lot of trap producers that explicitly try to distance themselves from the hip-hop scene and view it as a less authentic and over-commercialized genre of music, also similar to how metal distances itself from rock.

I don't think it's invalid to say 'trap is the metal of hip-hop' for numerous reasons. It comes off as more hardcore, less commercialized, more masculine and more aggressive. Trap artists like Migos, 6ix9nine, Denzel Curry, and XXXTentacion are already distinguishing themselves fashion-wise by more often having long dyed dreadlocks and more tattoos.

The 2020s will also be a flourishing for more subgenres of trap - there's already a small 'vaportrap' sound, as well as drill, or the horrorcore style of Ghostemane, and I predict there will be many more styles to come based off of varying tempos, vocal aggresion, use of distorted synth and vocals, etc. This will be akin to the divergence of metal subgenres throughout the late 80s and 90s, when black metal, death metal, doom, sludge, stoner, and alt-metal emerged.

Radio will refuse to play most of these subgenres, but the artists will still get a significant following. Hell, it might even convert a lot of former metalheads.

Is my prediction accurate Sup Forums? Or just uninformed and stupid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rF-hq_CHNH0
youtube.com/watch?v=HxKFI7FONNw
youtube.com/watch?v=IPfISW8DINc
youtube.com/watch?v=HQ45ETZkPKs
youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lwk5OUII9Vc
youtube.com/watch?v=sXP6vliZIHI
youtube.com/watch?v=02fRdleMSaA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It will most likely be a fad that will fade faster than dubstep/brostep.
You already said it, it has already been exploited with other meme genres like vaporwave. What else is there to do? Shock value means shit at this point, no matter how many tattoos on your face you get. Also there's nothing masculine or aggressive about rainbow colored dreadlocks, come the fuck on.

The latter.

Not to use this as a thread to shamelessly plug my own shit, but as someone who growing up always wanted to front a hardcore punk or metal band but never got the chance to, I've been using the trend of distorted, short length beats as an outlet for my screamed vocals. The end result is very much a crossover amalgam of styles but it beats being a bedroom guitarist trying to make a metal magnum opus with a drum machine. I can already tell this is a growing trend in the underground

soundcloud.com/keanuc

Yeah i agree to the point where shit getting blown out of proportion like 100 groupies a night blowing 500 thousand on dolphin statues 3 tour buses

so if we take mainstream appeal and financial potential of hip hop now and metal/hard rock in mid to late 80's i'd say the trajectory has been similar thus far

Well yeah, vaportrap will be easily forgotten, but that's besides the point.

But the shit like rainbow dreads basically just shows that stylistically there are much less boundaries in the trap scene. Wearing makeup and having long hair was never masculine, but it's still what made metal stylistically unique at its origin, and it did in a way re-appropriate it to make it seem more masculine, as well.

Trap is the punk of hiphop

Much lower production value
Simpler lyrics.
Kind of boiled down

The main difference is if you listen to punk rock thats fine and if you like trap you should gas yourself

If have to disagree. Hip hop has never really had any requirement for how intricate the lyrics are, and while there's a lot more wiggle room to throw in more complex lines with traditional hip hop beats, trap allows for a lot more screaming and yelling, like metal.

And I don't think production value has much to do with it either. It's still in its early phase, so it's not like records like Kill 'em All has great production either.

you're right on everything except
>less commercialized
youtube.com/watch?v=rF-hq_CHNH0
youtube.com/watch?v=HxKFI7FONNw
youtube.com/watch?v=IPfISW8DINc
youtube.com/watch?v=HQ45ETZkPKs
youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lwk5OUII9Vc
youtube.com/watch?v=sXP6vliZIHI
haha no

trap is the glam rock of hip-hop, you mean

i think trap is less the metal of hip hop then it is like rock itself, with hip hop being the blues it gradually distances itself from. guys like 69 are definitely part of a kind of metalish movement right now though so i kind of agree.

Correction; it's the nu-metal of hip-hop. Watch it die and be an embarrassment for everyone into the genre in less than 7 years.

Coincidentially all the people I know who still listen to rapcore/mallcore are really into trap music

True, but we have to distinguish between the trap and this new thing that ghostmane and BONES are doing right now. That acctually sounds like the Punk of Hip-Hop, there is a lot of trap out there where its basically all just about drinking lean and bragging. This new thing should get a name and distance itself from Hip-Hop. Metal is a bit the decline and as a Metalhead myself im happy to have found something simmillar that is still close to what im used to.

>True, but we have to distinguish between the trap and this new thing that ghostmane and BONES are doing right now.
I mean, you aren't too wrong, but I think it's a slippery slope to force this distinction especially at a point where it's still kind of race-divided, with Ghoste and BONES still having mostly a white following. It kind of runs the risk of just appropriating a unique style and marketing it towards a white audience, akin to what Elvis did to blues. Not good.

I find it odd how when Ghoste and BONES rap about being suicidal and depressed, it sounds cool to white people, but when black rappers do the same thing except with the context of cops, ODing on drugs, or whatever, white people think it's just silly thug shit.

Like it's disappointing how when I hear a lot of new trap music, I can't really tell what race they are based on their voice, but when I look up their live footage, it still seems so race divided.

oh man that Jigsaw tattoo hahaha

it's already an embarrassment.

literally talk to anyone outside US. In my own humble opinion, I think this emo-trap phase is this popular because of mass mental illness occuring in America

Hip Hop died with Eminem and Jay-Z , turned into Rap. Trap to me personally is Gucci and Thug et al. The music xxx and lil peep are making seems something else again. It seems like a good chance of mutating into a new rock genre. Remember please Emo was a 2002 initiative and as such a poor moniker for what is going down. Whether UK grime follows the US evolution we are listening to is a edge of seat topic in this household. Shits fire y'all.

congratulations on making the stupidest post of all time.

You know I'm right.

wrong its the punk rock of hip hop. nice autistic essay tho.

it's the eurodance of hiphop

Good metal is transcendental... trap is about as base as music can be

TEKASHI wants you to know that a bully only picks on you because he’s threatened by you.. insecure for his own reasons. You are the king/queen always stay humble with your head up & your grass cut

>Not to use this as a thread to shamelessly plug my own shit
>shamelessly plugs own shit

i think trap has been around for much longer than y'all think it has

It's in its early phases. Don't tell me Sabbath was ever transcendental.

DOES NON-TRAP INFLUENCED HIP HOP EVEN EXIST ANYMORE?

>transcendental

>see 6IX9INE
>dismiss him completely
>what a fuckin joke this kid is
>how the fuck hasn't he been killed yet for looking like such a fucking retard?
>*fast forward three months*
>finally listen to GUMMO
>mfw it's actually really fucking good
>mfw he's actually my new favourite up and coming rapper

>HIP HOP
aside from legacy acts. I gave up at this point

Shit taste

can you imagine someone making this awful thread about like fety wap a few years ago.
Oh hey, remembr him.

Man i fucking hate rap faggot

i just don't like your voice bro

I think nearly everything labelled hip hop/rap after about 2005 is literally just pop music by black men.

Its just labelled hip hop/rap because they are young and black.

I'm for the most part a former 'metalhead' and I love Bones, Lil Peep, Ghostemane, and other associated rappers. That being said I think they are more along the lines of underground hip-hop and not necessarily trap but for the most part take a lot of influence from trap instrumentation.

there's some transcendental trap man fr
and some shitty ass plebeian fucking metal
what is your point

dont talk trash on HHH

>First song is an account of an acid trip so intense their drummer saw satan himself in broad fuggin daylight
>serves as a sort of coda for the rest of the bands subject matter

No trancendentalism here

what does this have to do with anything

it literally is glam rock of hip-hop. how can none of you stupid people see that

this stupid faggot will be gone a few years from now replaced by some other stupid lil faggot

>find out about this new rapper named trippie redd
>start to check out his shit
>listen to poles1469
>decide to check out the rainbow headed nigga
>listen to hellsing station
>fuckthisisgood.jpg
>1 month later
>trippie redd comes out with pedo allegations
>"aight this nigga's just a one-hit wonder and he gonna fade into obscurity while trippie takes over the rap game"
>fast forward like two months
>gummo drops
>shit barely hits 1M views
>"ha knew this nigga wasn't shit"
>two or three weeks later
>shit starts to blow up for no reason
>all of my normie friends are listening to it
>they completely ignore the pedo allegations
>"yo this shit slaps bruh"
>one month later he pleads guilty to the pedo allegations
>gummo is still getting more popular and my normie friends are still listening to it
>whatthefuck.png
>two weeks later
>kooda drops
>holy shit this is actually good
>however my personal philosophy of not supporting coons interferes with my enjoyment
>1 month later
>keke drops
>not as good as kooda, but it's still good
>listen to both songs constantly
>tfw i'm supporting an admitted pedophile and a coon

Gummo's a better meme than other trap but that's about it

No, disco and house are the blues of hip hop

Trap has been around for years white boy. Just because your favorite faggot "cultured" hipster soy latte blog started selling it to you as a "new" thing last year to make themselves seem cool and down with the working class folk, doesn't make it new.

>using faggot as an insult
>2018

What fucking age are you,13?

jesus crhist what happned to Sup Forums are you a bunch of faggot loving homo's all the sudden?

its Sup Forums you literally cannot guess how gay someone is for posting here other than the baseline for using Sup Forums

I wouldn't say it's more masculine, and that's probably what I enjoy about it.

Ideally so, yeah. Catch up with the times, gay is the future.

he going 4 for 4 ez

whatever my anally delicate newfriend

>says newfriend

found the newfriend.

youtube.com/watch?v=02fRdleMSaA
He didn't go anywhere, he's even on the stupid lil faggots latest single.

I think adjust your prediction with this in mind and it sounds spot on.

but you called him a new friend too.

infinite loop of new friends calling each other new friends because they called each other new friends.

good thread for such posts, gentlemen.
keep up the stereotype of the followers of this scene.

this

Trap music is actually really huge in South America and Spain for some reason.

Maybe you are on to something but it sucks bc trap appeals to niggers, gays, and sluts

He likes the BBC.

It's still retarded objectively bad nigger trash music.

Lmao no

nah dude
lil peep was/is HUGE in russia as are pretty much all the sad xanax rappers, this also applies to most eastern bloc countries
here in the UK it's on the radio all the time and you can't go a day without hearing XO tour lif3, also grime is becoming more and more trap influenced
i live most of the year in the netherlands and trap has overtaken all the hiphop stations and non-free parties
even korea, china and japan are making trap
hell, a fucking swede kickstarted half of this shit
it's not just an american thing
i think he makes more sense than the op, soundcloud trap is diy as fuck, they forego complex rhymes in favor of rhyming nigga with nigga, they just throw shit on soundcloud without mastering it and there's no labels or anything involved
also they're mostly despicable child rapists and abusers, like most punks
the only thing he's wrong about is that people who listen to punk should also fucking gas their shitty selves

>metal and hip hop, hip hop becoming more ambiguous and obscure

>doesn't mention spaceghostpurpp, xavier wulf, bones, lil ugly mane, actual artists that bridged the gap for these genres

forgot lil peep as well, rip

Trap is like the crunk of 2017/18 and look how well crunk went

the guy talking to doesn't understand that yung lean, sgp and basedgod are the originators of all this shit and yung lean is 100% swedish

It's a fad that will die when all the white frat boys and thots grow up and have kids and shit.
Much like 80's glam we'll look back upon it as a stylistic nightmare filled with sub-par music.

niggas be peering into they crystal balls itt

Jay Z = Led Zeppelin
Gucci Mane = The Ramones

Dispute this

gucci has more talent in his ice cream tat than all of the ramones combined
fucking boyband

ghostemane is just a three 6 mafia rip off

um,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

no lmfao i don't even like him much but just no

if anything suicideboys are 36 rip offs

fuck your scene

Memphis hip hop is the black metal of hip hop.

/thread

best genre of hip hop too

coincidence? I think not

It's certainly one of the most creative ones

Nothing is the "x" or anything, music genres don't go in generational patterns, every decade has been different. Trap appropriates some aesthetics from metal and is otherwise nothing like it

Would Vapor-trap be considered people like Soudiere, Dj Smokey, and NxxxxxS?

I dont really mind it but ive just started listening to them

you've taken this market value comparison too far