/who/ - Doctor Who General

Aliens of London/World War Three edition
What does /who/ think of these farting aliens?

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=unORPOtavqM
youtu.be/aXMnHDM1Pkk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=unORPOtavqM

Most aliens fart. RTD was just brave enough to put it onscreen for once. A true hero.

What is this?

my nephew loved doctor who when he was young, hes 12 now.

This was peak RTD

This was peak shit

Go back to your respective sci-fi franchise's general Shol'va Kree.

Looks like Mondas Cybermen are coming back boys. Not those fucking stupid Ironmen and Mondas/Ironmen hybrids.

Why was this allowed?

I want to try a Big Finish audio, never done one before. What would /who/ recommend as a good, stand-alone audio to get you into it?

The Slitheen scaared the fuck outta me when I was younger desu

Jubilee

The Marion Conspiracy
Jubilee
Winter for the Adept
Bang Bang-A-Boom

New Capaldi reaction face boys.

The Fearmonger or The Holy Terror

That must have been his face, everytime he came into his set trailer to find Jenna coleman naked and waiting for him.

I am buying Jubilee and Spare Parts lads

Good picks.

I Wonder

Just started rewatching Capaldi.

>Deep Breath
It's surprising how deeply entrenched in continuity this is. Normally they'd try to make a new Doctor's first episode a good jumping on point, but this one's got the Paternosters, the continuing development of the Doctor and Clara's relationship (in a much bigger way than, say, the Doctor and Rose's in The Christmas Invasion), conspicuous callbacks to the clockwork droids in series 2 and no attempt to give the series's premise or characters a clear reintroduction.

I really like most of the comedy in rather light first half of the episode (even the cartoon sound effect) and the spooky second half is at least decent, although the skin balloon and "I can store air in my lungs" are both a bit silly.

>Into the Dalek
An uninspired script (it's not even the first time Doctor Who has ripped off The Fantastic Voyage) elevated by good directing. The scene of the Doctor mind-melding with the Dalek is especially good. IIRC this is the episode where they pushed the edgy 12 personality the farthest. It really does seem like the "Am I a good man?" stuff came out of nowhere given that he's just come off of undoing his greatest regret in life followed by centuries of selflessly defending Christmas Town. Was it just because he killed the clockwork guy last episode? I do like the speech he gives about how meeting the Daleks changed him and made helped him define himself. I can buy it.

Why didn't they disarm the Dalek when it wasn't hostile? You know, to keep it from going on a killing spree if it changed its mind, like what ended up happening. That was dumb.

I like the skin balloon. It's silly in a pulpy, macabre way on top of being plain fucking weird, which is about where I like my Who horror imagery.

>entrenched in continuity

and that's the problem with Capaldi. Frankly, it's the only problem — Moffat. Jenna and Steven should've left with Matt, and we should've gotten a fresh start in 2014.
It's just stale and a sad parodic ghost of the Smith era

If you want to complain about Moffat just do it, you don't need to pretend it connects to other people's posts in any coherent way.

I don't necessarily want to complain about Moffat. I was perfectly happy with him before series 8.
There's an evident problem, and it's that he's been around for far too long. How can you go from writing literally the best Christmas special (Christmas Carol) to writing the absolute worst (Last Christmas)?

Why don't you like Last Christmas?

>the absolute worst (Last Christmas)

/who/ Christmas stream when?

Anyone down for tonight?

>Robot of Sherwood
The most entertaining part was seeing the reenactment of the What War. Not as good as its nearest cousin, which is, of course, The Myth Makers. Speaking of Hartnell, I don't like Robin Hood's bit about how the Doctor stole the TARDIS because he found the plight of the oppressed and the weak too much to bear. I don't buy it.

I don't know why you'd want Jenna to leave with Matt, companions carrying over from one Doctor to the next is pretty normal and she'd only had half a series at that point. But I think you're right about series 8 and 9 feeling too much like a continuation of the Smith era. It's not something I particularly mind much but I think it probably turns a lot of people off given how long the Moffat era's been going and that's probably worth considering given the distressingly low ratings of series 9 . Thankfully, now that Clara's gone, River Song probably won't appear again, the Paternosters have been absent since Deep Breath and there are no hanging plot threads about Gallifrey, it seems like we've truly, finally moved past the Smith era.

I think the reason Moffat didn't leave after 3 seasons (as he originally planned to iirc) is because he didn't have an obvious worthy successor the way RTD had in him. And he kind of still doesn't, I mean I'm being as optimistic as I can about Chibnall but let's be honest, he's not as good as Moffat or RTD.

That said,
>Last Christmas
>the worst Christmas special
That's certainly a hot opinion you've got there m8.

I'm down for a stram, all I'm doing is marathoning Doctor Who anyway.

Join me - cytu dot be slash r slash whomas

Come on /who/res, I know you're out there

what are we doing?

Probably watching Doctor Who Christmas specials, but I'm down for most anything

Starting Christmas Invasion in 10 minutes

HOW ARE WE LADS?

Good senpai

Join us - cytu dot be slash r slash whomas

We're watching The Christmas Invasion.

Short break and resuming the specials with Runaway Bride

Ayy, nice. Popping over now.

I've recently finished the classic series and have been watching series 1 and saw this story today. After so much numbing from late 80's who, the farting alien stuff wasn't really that terrible. It's somehow less cheesy than something like Paradise Towers. I really don't think it's a bad story. It puts together a fun mystery and houses a lot of character development. 6/10

So i'm completely new to the Who universe and wanting to start watching this.
(literally the only episode i've seen was the parody with Rowan Atkinson, loved it)

Where do I start? Which doctor?
A friend told me Eccleston, but i'm reaching for second opinions here.

An Unearthly Child

try series 1 and if it starts to lose you skip to series 5 which was essentially a fresh start. If you start getting exposed to bits of classic doctors and something catches your interest don't hesitate to jump into classics. They're much more standalone anyway and better for that sorta thing.

*BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP*

Oh, you.

>Listen
Yep, still GOAT. Though Moffat was a dirty liar when he said in DWM that Orson wasn't necessarily a descendant of Danny or Clara.

CLARA: Orson, do me a favour. Take my advice. When you get home, stay away from time travel.
(She gives him the toy back.)
ORSON: It runs in the family.
CLARA: What? Sorry, what do you mean, runs in the family?
ORSON: Nothing. It's just silly stories one of my grandparents... well, great-grandparents

So yeah, Orson must have been wiped out of existence by Danny's death.

I pretty much agree. And the beginning where the Doctor brings Rose back a year late is brilliant.

Yes, but that was eighties. Slitheen were 2005, come on.

Slitheen weren't a bad concept, but I feel that RTD just doesn't have a respect for sci-fi.
>Doctor Who is sci-fi? Here's your farting creatures from unpronounceable planet. Isn't this the shit you nerds love so much? Now step aside and let me write actually good stuff - love triangle between Rose, Doctor and Mickey.

Watch Series 1 with Eccleston, yeah. Like said, Series 5 is a good jumping on point but you skip half the show that way so I wouldn't recommend it. At least watch S1 in its entirety, if you can't stomach S2 then consider skipping. But S1, despite not aging awfully well, is a solid season.

>I feel that RTD just doesn't have a respect for sci-fi.
>>Doctor Who is sci-fi? Here's your farting creatures from unpronounceable planet. Isn't this the shit you nerds love so much? Now step aside and let me write actually good stuff - love triangle between Rose, Doctor and Mickey.
That's dumb.

>absolute worst (Last Christmas)

This must be bait.

>you will never get your dick sucked by a toothless alien

I think at the point this was written/ filmed, Jenna Coleman was still planning to leave at the end of series 8. After she changed her mind, Last Christmas ending was then re-written.

Maybe the original ending had old Clara showing the Doctor pics of her kid and grand kids, all with a startling resemblance to Danny Pink?

Last Christmas isn't the worst.

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe is the worst, by far.

What was Moffat thinking?!

So, I'm behind on the Calpaldi series'. Are they good?

yes

>It's surprising how deeply entrenched in continuity this is
>conspicuous callbacks to the clockwork droids in series 2
Except the Doctor never learned why the droids were going after Madame de Pompadour. Oh wait, now he did! I mean, it's not like Moffat wrote both episodes or anything.

OH

WAIT

But he didn't. He never knew it was the SS Madame de Pompadour which is why he doesn't react in Deep Breath when he reads "sister ship of SS Madame de Pompadour".

Pay attention.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he SPECIFICALLY reference the Pompadour?

Not that user, but I don't know.

No. He only said "Rings a bell" when he realised they were clockwork droids looking for spare human parts. He then says "Nope, can't place it".

Doesn't he place it later on? That's what I'm talking about.

He doesn't reference it, he only reads it on the thingy. It says "SS Marie Antoinette, sister ship of the Madame de Pompadour" and then he says "Nope, not getting it".

Check it out yourself at 14:25

youtu.be/aXMnHDM1Pkk

Why the fuck is time passing so slowly now? Feels like the Christmas special is in forever.

Turns out I was wrong! The "sister ship" part I had always assumed was him realizing it then not understanding it was actually him reading it off of fucktiny writing that was only on screen for a split second.

Still shitty production from Moffat.

We're in a Christmas dial as opposed to confession.

The Shepard's Boy says...

>The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe is the worst
No its not.

>I was perfectly happy with him before series 8.
>liking Series 6/7
>not liking Series 8/9

Overall, very good. A few duds, but all seasons of Who have those.

You can clearly see he's reading it, even by the tone of his voice. You clearly just hate Moffat. Get your head checked.

>Still shitty production from Moffat.

Fuck sake. Moff hate mongering is even infecting /who/ now.

He's gone after next season dude. You then have the wonderful writer of gems like Cyberwoman to look forward to.

>blaming Moffat for the director's work
The other user is right, get your head checked.

>Fuck sake. Moff hate mongering is even infecting /who/ now.

You should've been here in the beginning, before series 8. There was tons of Moffat hate back then and RTD was looked back on much more favorably. Moff won /who/ back over with 8 and 9 though

Okay, he's out

/who/ used to almost unanimously shit on moffat, I don't really know what changed.

gr8 b8

He got good again.
In S7 he was shit.

Moffat has always been GOAT to me. His only flaw is that he writes plot devices and not actual characters like RTD did. That changed with Clara in Series 8 and 9 though, but some side characters like Danny or Ashildr were still written like plot devices.

I want the doctor to regenerate into Malcolm Tucker

u wot

>some side characters like Danny or Ashildr were still written like plot devices

Maybe because they were plot devices. Moff has always placed the focus on just the Doctor and companion(s).

3 days til new Doctor Who.
You hyped, /who/?

I am.

Yes.

To be fair, Moff was definitely in a bad rut from series 6b through 7. It was hard to be positive when the quality of his writing and showrunning seemed to be on a serious decline after series 5. /who/ started to turn around after the 50th was generally well received, and the fact that Moff had cast Capaldi as 12 made a lot of people happy. Eventually leak/who/ happened and that was an era of unprecedented positivity on /who/. People loved the scripts and the hype and excitement was ramped up thanks to the leaks, and eventually the Moff hate could no longer survive in the ultra positive supreme comfy atmosphere of leak/who/. /who/ has been pretty positive about Moff ever since (it didn't hurt that the rest of Series 8 and Series 9 were pretty well received here)

People even liked the Robot of Sherwood script. Damn I miss leak /who/.

Yeah, but a really good writer would have covered that fact and given them some actual story to make them not look like walking plot devices.

I thought Ashildr was pretty good My only problem was she seemed way too normal in Hell Bent for someone who had survived everyone else in the universe.

This. If Moffat had announced he was leaving during Series 7 I probably wouldn't have cared that much but now i'm just sad since we've he's had such a great run with Capaldi.

Capaldi is right
Lucas does look like a goddamn ET

Where'd you get that photo? Capaldi looks GOAT.

VK
new promo thing
there was no source

if you saw this image prior to the new companion announcement and the husbands of river song, how would you feel?

I would have thought the Christmas special title was Assault of the Benefactor.

>if you saw this image prior to the new companion announcement and the husbands of river song, how would you feel?
Well damn, this new girl sure does look weird!

Fuck do we want another Cybermen origins story? Hell do we even want another Cybermen story?

>implying we're getting one

Fuck em. Fuck returning monsters. I want Series 10 to only have Missy and the Daleks as the returning monsters. Have every other alien new.

Missy got old fast, and the daleks are shit. They're not even contractually obliged to be there.

>"With Doctor Who, you never want to have finished the story - I'm not going to do that," he insisted. "I want Chris [Chibnall, the new showrunner] to come in and have a brilliant time, so I'm not going to wrap it all up.
>"So no... it'll still be pushing forward. The thing is, people don't really care about me or Chris, that's the absolute truth. It's heartbreaking, but it's true - so the departure of a showrunner and the arrival of another one doesn't really matter very much, 'cause no-one's ever heard of us!"

>so I'm not going to wrap it all up.
>it'll still be pushing forward

Capaldi confirmed for Series 11?

>They're not even contractually obliged to be there.
They have to appear every year or they lose the rights.

Peter Capaldi on Cybermen in Series 10 on Radio 2:

>"There may be. They may be different from that. They may not be marching Cybermen. They may be a different kind of Cyberman."

MONDASIAN CONFIRMED GET HYPE

Not true