It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here..
Why is he so fascinating lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-jones-rolling-stones-songs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>this
It is apparent to most Pink Floyd followers that they screwed him over badly and spent their lives having to explain it away. That Barret renounced music and the lime light offers a modern day parable on fame and fortune of the vain and jealous rock star vs. the good life of the ordinary person.

Another consideration is that Pink Floyd were unable to extract his DNA from the band, he played them out in the end which creates a myth worthy of a Greek tragedian.

Definitely the most interesting one, Roger was probably glad to have an excuse to boot him.

And I never knew the moon could be so blue
And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes

The ending to jugband blues is so sad, I wish Pink Floyd would have stayed a five piece band

He only made a few hours worth of recordings, amazing to think how influential he was. Haunting would be the way to describe it.

Despite living until 2006 its almost like he died decades before. I'm amazed at how he never even once entered the limelight again.

Don't you kind of get the impression that Gilmour was the only one who really appreciated his brilliance? (ironic considering he effectively replaced his role in the group)

Albums like Syd's solo works?

Upon Velveatur by Roger Rodier
Songs of Pain / Hi How are You by Daniel Johnston if Syd was a less talented incel
Nick Drake obviously

The more you look into it, the more obvious it becomes that Roger Waters and the crew screwed him over.

Can't blame him for withdrawing, gets kicked out of his own band and called a schizo by people who are meant to be close to you. Syd wasn't crazy, the other members of Pink Floyd never really got what the psychedelic movement was all about.

This is like proto-psych folk. He was also an underrated guitar player.

>Syd wasn't crazy
user I....

No , he was being a prick. Anyone who’s been in bands since high school has encountered this personality type. He was being needlessly pretentious, wet blanket sometime not playing the songs correctly on purpose or making people guess if he was going to play it one way or the other. People like this get off on being withholding and like to excercise power by halting progress. All drug addicts walk around with this big secret that no ones aloud to understand but the truth is there just wasn’t much at the bottom of that rabbit hole, if you really cut out the obviously improvised moments of his solo albums he wrote maybe a dozen songs total and was complete prick about it. The sad part is he could’ve had it all, literally the most successful band of all time. All professional bands have encountered these personality types early on. Look up Jason Everman

>mes that Roger Waters and the crew screwed him over.
Reading Barret's art books is like from Dachau survivor museum , Syd was schizophrenic which is often a tell tale sign of being abused severally or at least having a pretty harsh life. The rock n roll myth of Barret / Green does mental health understanding no good at all but it is a case of propaganda by an industry to conceal their dirty secrets.

essentially fucking wit yo head is what the media often stands for, which is a missuse I believe.

fuck off chris ott go back to your podcasts about the 00s

>Why is he so fascinating lads?
Solely because he went crazy and disappeared. He was an okay songwriter at best.

>Look up Jason Everman
Yeah? So? He's still alive. Kurt Cobain and Chris Cornell aren't.

Syd Barrett was a legit schizophrenic person who was messing with the productivity of the band so much they had to hire a guitarist because Syd was incapable of leading any more. When David and Roger tried backing his first solo record (they produced it and provided instrumentation, and they played live with him until eventually he gave up), and eventually he made a second album with Gilmour and Wright helping him out. I don't believe the bullshit that the band forced him out, because this is long before Waters' ego became massive and it was when everybody in the band had generally equal footing when it came to songwriting.

How come people talk about Syd Barrett so much but never Brian Jones?

Same exact situation but worse. Brian Jones started the band, got them to where they were, and they thanked him by throwing him out of the band and having him murdered.

Because Brian Jones never made solo music, was never the face of The Rolling Stones, and died very young as opposed to drifting away somewhat mysteriously. It's why Richey Edwards still gets more attention than somebody like Mia Zapata.

And yet without Brian Jones there would be no Satisfaction or Paint it Black

>I don't believe the bullshit that the band forced him out, because this is long before Waters' ego became massive and it was when everybody in the band had generally equal footing when it came to songwriting.
I suspect he was bullied. You can call me a fantasist if you like.

Sure but he just gave up writing songs. At what point is it acceptable to keep or kick a band member who's becoming a liability? They kept him in spite of it all and never kicked him out, even though his influence in the band dwindled as time went on.

Yet Their Satanic Majesties Request is one of their best albums.

They fucking murdered the guy

Firstly, no it isn't. Secondly, he didn't write songs for the band. He might have pitched ideas but the bulk of the songwriting was Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. It'd be like people complaining that Ringo Starr gets overlooked by people in spite of the fact that he just didn't do a lot creatively with The Beatles.

>t'd be like people complaining that Ringo Starr gets overlooked by people in spite of the fact that he just didn't do a lot creatively with The Beatles.
No, it's literally like people complaining about David Baker era Mercury Rev being better than 1995-present Mercury Rev even though Jonathan Donahue and Grasshopper always wrote ALL of the songs.

It wasn't that he pitched ideas, it's that he knew how to play instruments the others didn't.

Hence Paint it Black and Under My Thumb.

He wrote the Satisfaction riff and when Keith Richards heard it he wanted to replace the fuzz guitar with saxophones. Thankfully Andrew Oldham stopped him

>Firstly, no it isn't.
Yes it is. It is far far better than the sprawling mess that is Exile on Main Street. Brain Jones' languid comments and apperance was a key factor in their early success, for example their July 4th apperance on the Juke Box Jury in '64. Not for nothing was the riot in Blackpool.

Poor Brian Jones man. What a fucking tragedy.

Dave and Rick looked out for him afterwards tbf and done a good job helping on the madcap recordings

Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T shirt

literally no-one believes this

Syd wanted nothing to do with David Gilmour and his buttrock wankery

So Brian Jones is better because he said something controversial and attracted attention? I can't possibly begin to understand this perspective. Never mind that Beggars Banquet is less muddled and more focused than TSMR. The more they fiddled around with production variety the more it became apparent that they had no skill at it.

>Secondly, he didn't write songs for the band.

Classic Rock magazines top 10 Brian Jones' Rolling Stones songs
--------------------

ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-jones-rolling-stones-songs/

"The Rolling Stones were Brian Jones' band. He was the blues junkie and the most versatile musician in the group. It was even his idea to name the band after a classic Muddy Waters song. And he was the one who shaped the band's early musical directions -- from the gritty R&B and blues mix they played at first to the psychedelic freakouts the Stones got caught up in during the mid-'60s. He was also the group's first casualty, wrecked by drugs that distanced him from his bandmates. Less than a month after Jones was fired from the group he helped form, he drowned in his swimming pool at the age of 27. Our list of the Top 10 Brian Jones Rolling Stones Songs aren't necessarily the band's greatest tracks, but the songs that Jones made great."

So according to this article you are a total disgrace.

He was the face of the Stones dude, comparing him to Ringo is utterly ridiculous (John is a better comparison). I agree with you to some extent about Brian's issues with songwriting and production but anyone around at the time here will tell you he was no. 1 to the British media, and a lot of the sentiment of the time was that without Brian the Stones were just a second-rate Beatles (they were obligated to prove that impression wrong).
His disregard for conventional mores, knowledge of the club system in Europe inside out (unlike Ringo he was a first-rate musician with a stellar career and encyclopedic knowledge even before he met the Stones), literary and continental pretensions, mod-bohemian and androgynous fashion style that was always ahead of anyone else, jet set lifestyle, ability to find other musicians like Hendrix and Nico, all big things. He is always placed in the centre of the earlier Stones photos for a reason. Mick himself amalgamated those facets into his persona in a more viable form
And desu the other members often made decisions that were philistine-like in the first few years. If Keith had got what he wanted with the horns Satisfaction would've been dead on arrival

What makes you believe that?

Based Brian.

God bless you.

I hope to some day float through the cosmos with you

Thanks for laying a lot of this shit out for me. You're making me realise there are a lot of facets other than just songwriting that made him a very special member to the group, and helped the Stones become a landmark band in the first place.

It's a long answer and 5am here, ask me another time.

Water and Gilmour sabotaged The Madcap Laughs

have lived that mattress on the floor with no headrest life myself. Empathising with Sydney big style atm

yer, I am about to get into a mattress on the floor with no headrest.

Alexander "Skip" Spencer - Oar

its tough living. glad im out of it now

S'alright

>waaaah they should’ve let him wilfully fuck up each and every gig because his head was too fucked to play anymore. With Syd in the band they would never have made AHM, Meddle etc (inb4 a contrarian sydfag says that would be good).

>lists two Jagger/Richards compositions
I know Jones was the one getting into the interesting instrumentation etc but Mick and Keith were the ones who brought us Let it Bleed, Exile, SF etc.

Oh and conspiracy theorists can fuck off. Drug addicts and swimming pools don’t mix well. Doesn’t make it murder.

>doesn’t know that SB and DG we’re mates before they ever met the rest.
>implying guitar virtuoso playing is bad
What even is “buttrock”? I’m not down with the numale vernacular.

>lists MJ/KR songs on which BJ plays
Yes, BJ was important but come on. Are you just being contrary or do you fancy him or something?

The fucking state of you. Sort yourself out.