Denis Villeneuve eyed by Legendary to helm the Dune movie

>“Blade Runner: 2049” director Denis Villeneuve looks ready to jump into another classic fixture from the sci-fi world.

>Sources tell Variety that Villeneuve is in early talks to direct Legendary’s “Dune” reboot for the company. Legendary has not commented on the news.

>Prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate for the rights his iconic novel, granting the production entity not only rights to film but also TV-based projects on the sci-fi property.

variety.com/2016/film/news/denis-villeneuve-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-1201929280/

Villeneuve IS the worst Sup Forums fedora meme

Found the "contrarian for the sake of contrarian" autist.

>implying it matters who is involved with a fucking remake/reboot

This

Who cares, worst book I've ever read

It's actually going to be one of those movies that are far better than the book they're based on, because it wouldn't have Herbert's shitty prose, stunted dialogue and mystery-ruining inner monologue

he's so hot right now

>Sci fi series with space travel and the like
>takes place in a desert
This shit is boring as fuck.

wow...it's rare to be stunned by stupidity on the web but i just got stunned

>modern dune movie

Oh boy, I can't wait for the diversity casting and interjected feminism bullshit! It's going to be great!

aren't the fremen a mix of different races though? I know they aren't purely arabic, but I don't think they're 100% nordic genes either

Would be better as a mini series right?

They're some sort of faux-arabic, doesn't really matter.

I was more speaking to the idea that they'd probably make Leto black ("please cast idris elba!!!!") and keep Jessica as white, and have Paul be a mystery meat mulatto. The rest of the Atreides' crew would be diversity quota'd as well. Jessica would also be a strong independent woman and make snappy Joss Whedon quips between doing kung fu moves and kicking harkonnen ass. All the harkonnens would be white though, and a subtext of "diverse love vs evil whitey" would run throughout the film. The fremen would be altered from being neutral (neither truly heroic nor unheroic) and would be portrayed as totally good and heroic, in order to force a #religionofpeace narrative.

>HBO dune series
>half the characters are now sleeping with and cheating on each other
>gratuitous sex scenes and brothel scenes that serve absolutely no purpose to the story

correct

fuckk off from my fav franchise hollyjew take and remake star wars as many times as you please, but no my shit

considering a new dune movie was inevitable, i guess they could do worse than vlleneuve. i just hope the desert scenes are as kino as lawrence.

they should get george lucas so he can compete against star wars

so do vilenueve abrams and cameron have a monopoly over all sci-fi now?

He's probably stupid but it's generally agreed that Herbert was a poor writer of prose. The Dune books are thematically rich but stylistically poor.

hmmmmmmm

George Lucas Dune.....

It would almost be.....

Poetic

>stop giving (((them))) ideas
>fuck

>tfw everyone, even David Lynch, hated the original Dune movie

It would probably be shit if you hadn't read the books but it was a good movie, even Frank himself liked it a lot.

It was Sting Kino

No. Science fiction in general is dead because most of it was trying to warn people away from the reality we currently live in.

And the biggest bitch of it is we didn't even get any of the cool shit.

>I prefer JK Rowling: the post

Shut up, George.

You don't get it. People don't dislike Dune for being too high brow, people dislike it for being too low brow. Herbert was not a particularly good writer from a literary perspective.

It was disjointed as hell and probably makes no sense to anyone who wasn't already familiar with the book, but I still enjoy it for the kino cinematography and set designs. Not to mention all the memes that stem from it.

this

obligatory. face is busted but the ass is phat

People dislike it because nowadays it's considered slow and meandering at parts. Especially when compared to its contemporaries like Ender's Game or Childhood's End.

Dune takes about 60-80 pages to really get going. Most people now won't invest that time. The parts that gave me feels were mostly Gurney related,
>when the smugglers ask him about his men
>and he just takes the baliset to console them while he thinks

Exactly, it was like the SW prequels and BVS, it's a HyperKino film, too busy working on cinematography to deal with shit like plot or story.

Here we go again, maybe 3mths before this is confirmed to be cancelled or never a thing in the first place.

Does someone make cash every time they announce a dune film? It's the only explanation

This is true -- though, I do like girls with large noses.

JK Rowling is just as bad, pleb.

Are we just now learning what clickbait is?

Besides, they float these announcements to gauge reaction to determine if its not a completely stupid idea or not.

every single year? they need to gauge reactions every year? sometimes twice in the same year

Do you think that Americans could handle all the Islamic/Arabic inspired words and plot?

>Lisan Al Ghib
>Mahdi
>Jihad

I remember doing a book report on dune in uni and some muslim guy interrupts in the middle and is like 'so Jihad? when was this book written?' tell him it was written in the 70s, 'so who wrote it?'...'listen to the presentation fucking triggered muzza'

anyway yea it would be a problem

Will Toto be doing the soundtrack again?

Yeah well maybe you should go back to r*ddit you pathetic pleb.

But Dune has space muslims as the good guys and a group of women is one of the most powerful organizations in the universe.

>soon

fucking sand nigger apologists

I don't dislike it because it's slow. I dislike it because it's fucking atrocious. There's not one positive thing about this book. It's made for pleb nerds who don't understand literature or art, and are only interested in le ebin world-building and fedora-tier philosophy.

>70s

This

this was like 10 years ago, fuck u m8, at the time I said 65

Dune is shit. It's the plebs LotR

>tfw the Dune series is perhaps my favorite book series of all time
>tfw Hollywood in its current state is going to pander to the SJWs and fuck it up

>black Lady Jessica
>trans Chani

kys

>tfw missed at least one cunt in the butlerian jihad

sandnose is only good when properly formed, that bitch has a spout on her face

waste of dubs

To be fair to you, I kind of associate it with the 70s for some reason also. New wave sci-fi in general seems to have a 70s vibe.

>Denis Villeneuve
just a TAD overexposed desu senpai lad

doesnt help that hes talentless

Yea I'm not sure why, but your right 1/2 the time I think Phillip Dicks books were all 70s-80s stuff, when it was almost all published 50s n 60s

>mfw this will probably happen

It needs to be an HBO series so we get a proper Water of Life ceremony (AKA everyone gets high as fuck off spice essence and an orgy breaks out)

Hyped, desu

> Movie

Ya blew it.

It needs to be a miniseries, too many characters, plot points, themes, lore, character backstory and fantastical concepts.

Also the worms need to be miniatures again.

This

I don't give a shit I've given up on a half-decent Dune adaptation

Not everything has to be a cheap miniseries, you autistic twat

Have you even watched the Lynch movie?

The reason it failed was because it was a movie and not a tv show.

btw I loved the first act. It wasn't until the second act that everything in the movie became so rushed that Lynch had to cut a lot from the book out.

The 2000 mini series is the only way to properly enjoy Dune as a live adaption.

Making it into another 2 hour movie is going to fail incredibly unless they begin it when Paul is already Muad'DIb.

JUST make a HBO series, tv series or another mini series.

we all did, many eons ago

>btw I loved the first act.
me too, its really similar to the book, your spot on m8

I would rather prefer them to just do a God Emperor of Dune adaption and then have flashbacks to the other 3 books.

This would work very well because then they wouldn't be trying to tell the first book in order which is impossible to do in a 2 hour movie.

They have to be insane to even attempt this again

Not saying everything should be. But the fact is unless you want to risk exactly what happened with the first attempt at a Dune movie, you simply cannot compress that story into a single film, and even if you were to split that one story over multiple ones you run the risk of an Enders Game scenario where you get the first one but none of the sequels.

You cannot reasonably conclude a Dune movie if segmented. You cannot reasonably create a Dune movie if it's one single movie (unless it's got some Lawrence of Arabia-tier runtime and even then you'd still lose stuff).

Ergo the only option that remains is television or not at all.

I've been perfectly fine with the last option for the last 15 years but IF they're going to card some flavor of the month sci-fi director out to have a crack they're going to fail simply because of the source material being incompatable with a film.

Hope Denis doesnt waste time with this clusterfuck of a movie.
this

>a God Emperor of Dune adaption
this is and always will be a completely retarded idea, think for a second, how would it work?

It kind of felt like Lynch was making a proper decent adaption from the book until he was 1 hour into the movie and suddenly remembered "SHIT THIS HAS TO BE A 2 HOUR MOVIE" and so rushed the second act in order to get to the 3rd act.

Jodorowsky's Dune would have been perfect as a 5 + hour adaption but of course no producers would allow a movie to be that long.

>this is and always will be a completely retarded idea, think for a second, how would it work?
I said that the 3 books will be told in flashbacks so it won't be an actual adaption of the 4th book because the 4th is pretty short and not much happens but yeah it is better to reboot it with God Emperor of Dune being standalone and then having flashbacks to the other 3 books.

The only way if they want to make another 2 and a half hour movie adaption otherwise don't even attempt the first book in 2 hours again.

Make it a mini series or tv show.

completely agree with the first paragraph, but your a Jodo fan, so we really don't have anything else to discuss

This

>tfw a low budget Sci Fi mini series will probably be the best adaptation we ever get

To be honest senpai, Sci Fi did surprisingly well. They even managed to largely get rid of the pace killing Dune Messiah and combine it with Children of Dune.

7.5/10, enjoyable and fun

>flashbacks to the other 3 books
not bad, really thats the best idea for a God Emperor adaption I've read in years, you still need to start with Dune though even with your plan without any back story just launching an unsuspecting viewer into this, idk you still need some kinda prep before GE

>but your a Jodo fan, so we really don't have anything else to discuss
I've never seen any of his movies and only watched his Dune documentary.

>mfw Nolan's time as the hip director is over

Nigga got too sloppy, what with the plodding story lines and terrible takes with extras messing up.

Denis is a good replacement, delivers at least a couple of great scenes with brilliant cinematography and music/sound direction.

so think about it m8, Leto is castrated, Feyd is Mick? Shaddam is Dali? its fucking drug addled nonsense

OK that's pretty good.

I imagine an opening where Moneo is bringing in the new Duncan Idaho ghola and he tells him the story of his past life and Paul etc. thus giving us proper flashback.

>I imagine an opening where Moneo is bringing in the new Duncan Idaho ghola and he tells him the story of his past life and Paul etc. thus giving us proper flashback.
Yup it is perfect.

Too bad Hollywood can never come up with good directing story ideas nowadays.

>Dune outgrossing Star Wars New Trilogy

>Herbert's shitty prose, stunted dialogue and mystery-ruining inner monologue
kek I hate all these things but still loved the book when I was fourteen, I dread ever reading a page again because it will all be ruined...

yes, yes its the best we've got, considering the source material though and the big names attached to it over the years, its pretty fuckin lame. Good casting though

So we're going to get another shitty movie

>trans Chani

>That much pottery in the dune universe

truly an unholy creation

Are the Kevin J books worth reading? I stopped at god emperor.

>Kevin J books worth reading
end your life before even considering it

nope its Dune,we're going to get some shitty clickbait, thats it

You may as well finish the Herbert books. Chapterhouse was grand.

Read Heretics and Chapterhouse if you want to feel really sad about Frank's early passing.

As said, avoid those post abortion medical waste novels at all cost, pure cancer

I don't want Denis to waste his time on this shitty Star Wars rip off

>shitty Star Wars rip off

Nice meme friend

>maxb8.jpg

A proper dune movie would need a 1 billion dollar budget and a prodigy director free from the shackles of hollywood producers

IE it will never happen

yup

still we got a decent lotr never thought that would happen

>ywN get a lawrence of arabia style Dune with set-pieces and models

Just go ahead and kill my child dream senpai