Are they the most consistently good band ever? 14 albums over 35 years and not one of them is bad...

Are they the most consistently good band ever? 14 albums over 35 years and not one of them is bad. Not to mention at least 4 or 5 that are at least 9/10.

Bump

I hate Swans. I always have. That guy is a complete fucking waste. Just a total fucking waste of life as an opportunity to accomplish anything.

GG Allin had the balls to actually play with his own shit; Gira subjected his audience to the aural equivalent.

Jandek's released many, many more albums, has more 9/10s and only has a few bad albums

Way to completely avoid discussing the musical content or expressing an opinion that isn't entirely superficial. Wouldn't expect anything less from Sup Forums.

You’re a colossal faggot, don’t ever post here again.

What does this even mean?

i went back and listened to their early stuff after a few years and realized it's really fucking boring

yeah their early stuff is nonsense.

Tom Waits > Swans even though its not technically a band.

Cop and Children of God are masterpieces.

It’s mood music. I used to hte Cops, until I listened to it on a really shitty day

i mean, i've never heard an earth, wind, and fire song that i didn't fully enjoy

i dont understand this comparison

This, wtf

Eh, I wouldn't lump CoG in with any of their first four albums. There's a lot of softer sounding stuff on it thanks to Jarboe. And the songs aren't as raw and angry sounding.

I don't understand the attraction to this band, but I haven't been taking my soy supplements lately so that could be it.

>I don't understand the attraction to this band, but I haven't been taking my onion supplements lately so that could be it.
FTFY

To be honest new Swans > old Swans

what? onions? I don't get it. I eat that shit on everything mang. raw. My girlfriend's like "disgusting" but the thing is that it really intensifies the other flavours in whatever food you're eating. some white onions on a sandwich? damn you got me thinking about some onions at work my man

the thread title is "are they the most consistently good band ever?"

to that i say, no, tom waits is.

To Be Kind is their magnun opus

No and no.

Maybe. Despite them exploring many different sounds, they manage to succeed almost every single time

Honestly, yes. They have zero bad albums.

I feel his discography is a bit bloated and many of the records serve the same purpose. But kudos to him for making so much music

>Blocks your path

Guided by Voices have no bad albums and each one contains at least a handful of classic sogns

man what a disappointment

you said that in a really clunky manner

I, in a sunny day a beautiful day~

>blocks your path

faggots

Filth [Neural, 1983]

With a bottom that howls along like a mechanical bull and percussive techniques borrowed from the scrapyard, this is no wave honed with five years of practice--too messy for mysticism and too funny for suicide. In the great tradition of their live sets, it does get wearying and lyrics are available to suckers on request. I think it's a hoot. B+

I don't even like Christgau or anything, but Michael Gira went a little over the top by mailing him a bag of jizz for this review.

*Ahem*

This. Only an idiot would think differently.

RAMMSTEIN has always been flawless.

flawlessly awful

S O Y B O Y D E T E C T E D

Lel, the best part is how afterwards Christgau never mentioned Swans again.

OP said consistently good, not consistently shit.

A guy who worked with Christgau back then claimed he stuffed the baggie in a file cabinet in the Village Voice office's basement. I wonder if it's still there?

wait wtf did he seriously do that?

Cops their best release though

Okay i've read this post about 5 times now and I can't understand what you're actually trying to say

They're the most consistently shitty band in some time. It's music by douchebags for douchebags and there's plenty of those in the world which would explain their long career. The world would have been a better place if they'd just never made music in the first place.

consistently good compared to wat? ass music?

The Burning World is great, fuck you. The only reason people dislike it is because it isn't le brutal enough. The songwriting is consistently top-notch.

Yes. If you include angels of light, skin, the body lovers and other projects that are just swans under a different name, they're still fairly consistent quality wise, although the side projects can be boring at times.

Old swans at its best was better, but new swans maintains a much high average quality.

Yeah, a lot of it is. I like Filth and adore Holy Money, but Cop and Greed do nothing for me.

GOOD post

>being this contrarian
>being this fucking pleb

Thank God I'm neither of these

Yes.

>Falling for such shit bait
Stop

Based gira holy shit

It's from Chris Ott's reddit AMA. Someone asked him what he thought of Swans and that's what he said. He has really strange opinions sometimes.

Who is that and why should I care?

I'm not asking you to care, I just wanted to point out that is such a brainlet he can't even form his own thoughts on things.

yes, they are