Sup Forums doesn't care about progressive metal/rock because melon doesn't get it and refuses to review anything within...

>Sup Forums doesn't care about progressive metal/rock because melon doesn't get it and refuses to review anything within that genre.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mWig453dPrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>caring about Melon opinion

Mars Volta are really popular here you mong

Prog rock/metal has always been fairly niche with a few exceptions like Pink Floyd

Even Steven Wilson didn't hit UK top 10 until her made a pop album

Im talking about the new progressive releases.

Sup Forums does not like new prog despite lot of good stuff being there

Also Fair to Midland is great, I still miss them

nice collection of second-best albums you posted there

Pink Floyd were more popular because they were only threshold prog. Even when they pushed the boat out a bit, they hardly ever went on self-indulgent 7 minute interludes, didn't really stray from the standard band set-up, hardly ever incorporating non-standard instruments to rock (eg flute, violin), or pushing any of those nonstandard instruments to the front of the mix, whenever they did concept albums, they weren't trying to mimic the story-telling style of a caricatured bard or troubadour, they didn't get all that folky either. Pink Floyd were "prog", unlike say, Marillion or Jethro Tull who were Prog.

Similar thing with Queen. Queen aren't thought of as a prog band because they only ever dipped their toes into it, so they still managed to maintain mainstream appeal. The Prophets Song is one of my favourite tracks by them, but I had to make myself a version with that horrendous vocal interlude cut out because jesus fucking christ did it derail the momentum.

Really into Gojira, but I don't really think of them as prog as much as they're simply technically adept and obsessive about marine conservation. Opeth to me are an archetypal prog metal band. The essence of prog rock is still very central in a lot of their work, but the sound just suits and manages to carry albums like Still Life without the prog elements sounding out of place.

Why did you include Mars Volta in the chart then?!

Why do I never hear Sup Forums talk about Thank You Scientist? Are they too poppy? Is it the jazz elements?

youtube.com/watch?v=mWig453dPrc

no. we Gojira herea.

It was just a chart i found from my collection.

Stranger Heads Prevail was one of 2016 highlights for me. Never seen a single post about them before now.

Some really solid records there. I don't think Sup Forums is even willing to give new prog a chance. The variety of music people discuss or care anymore is so narrow its fucking stupid.

love this band honestly

Have you listened to Ne Obliviscaris? They're really good, especially Citadel of I and Sarabande to Nihil.

>progressive rock
often quite good
>metal
can be good
>progressive metal
unholy abomination

Where is Altered State you pleb

I've listened to a fair bit of prog rock but I haven't heard any modern prog. Which 5 (five) albums should I start with on this chart?

> lateralus

new gazpacho album coming in april

going off list a little
>gazpacho
night, demon, march of ghosts
>dredg
el cielo
>airbag
identity, all rights removed, disconnected
>porcupine tree / steven wilson
up the downstair, stupid dream, the raven that refused to sing
>big big train
underfall yard, bard
>osi / chroma key / kevin moore
office of strategic influence, fire make thunder, you go now, graveyard mountain home
>mystery
delusion rain, the world is a game, beneath the veil of winter's face
>cosmograf
the man left in space, the hay man dreams
>crystal bright & the silver hands
the absolute elsewhere
>procession
still
>devin townsend
transcendence
>discipline
captives of the wine dark sea
>echolyn
the end is beautiful, i heard you listening
>iluvatar
from the silence
>paatos
v
>tin spirits
scorch

>mariachi slipknot

I like how melon doesn't review prog metal because he doesn't think it's pushing the envelope and everything sounds the same but reviews every shitty new rapper under the sun

stop being a bigot whitey

I lost what little respect I had left for melon when he gave the new Meshuggah album a not good when it's the best and freshest album they've released since Obzen

I like hip hop but the signal to noise ratio is in the shitter when every kid with a microphone and internet access thinks he can become the next Lil Yachty or whatever the current meme rapper is

>melon doesn't get it and refuses to review anything within that genre.
Anthony Fantano is autistic confirmed

>posting those albums as shining examples

bump

>pseudo-intellectual doesn't like pseudo-intellectual music

Anthony's logic is so flawed its fucking insane. He didn't like Cynic's new album because "it didn't have the same metal elements as before" and also didn't like Magma because "it's so Gojira" implying the sound hasn't changed at all.

I'm actually convinced he just hates the genre and comes up with these awful excuses because he really doesn't have a single reasonable argument to dislike them. Also he said Closure in Moscow is just a Mars Volta copycat and therefore dislikes them, but doesn't dislike every Soundcloud meme rapper for sounding exactly like everyone else in that shit site.

in absentia
frances the mute
colors - btbam (heavy), try early-mid opeth if you want other heavy shit
metropolis pt.2 (tad cheesy but amazing)
crack the skye

bump

>reviews metal album
>7 min review, light 6
>nigger rap album
>16 minute review, strong 8

>metropolis pt.2
You made your bait too obvious.

Why are you faggots so obsessed with Anthony’s opinions, this is borderline Sup Forums autism

i dont even like the guy. im just upset that he basically controls 70% of Sup Forums music taste.

im upset that 70% of this board is underage

This. Even the daily hate threads feed into his ego christ this fucking board is the worse.
See y'all tomorrow