How can “lofi” be a genre? isn’t it just an audio quality?

how can “lofi” be a genre? isn’t it just an audio quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/feb/17/ruins-love-affair-decayed-buildings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

same way that "indie" is a genre, it started off as a descriptor but a genre developed that all used that as one of their primary adjectives so that's what the genre got named

yes
it usually prefaces an actual genre though
>lo-fi indie
>lo-fi hiphop

technically, you're right, but if rockists had to acknowledge that recording pop songs with a tiny touch of difference (distorting a guitar or using pedals, using a special drum beat, recording it a certain way, pairing it with a different manner of dress for live performances...) didn't constitute an entirely new genre, we'd have like six genres of rock music left over, and how would the Jack Black in High Fidelity types ever recover?

this is a new trend imo. lo fi ALWAYS meant indie/garage rock until this lo fi hip hop trend started. this is the first i've ever seen it begin to creep up. Black metal doesn't count because "black metal" itself implied lo fi.

fwiw it makes a feature out of lo-fi elements, like wow and flutter, tape crackle, low bitrate/bit-crushed samples etc.
very few cultures make art-forms out of degradation to the extent that western culture does. for centuries, millennia, locals in areas surrounding the mediterranean lived without a second thought among the ruins of the old civilizations that sprung up there. nobody romanticized them until painters of the Dutch Golden Age and those influenced by that movement started painting ruins, as ruins.
something speaks to the western soul of the effects of time on art, as art - that degradation evidences the time any physical object may have spent in this world, has value placed on it, uniquely, by western culture.
it's also why relic'd guitars are so popular, but why shop relic'd guitars where the degradation and wear - ostensibly evidencing the time and the history of that object, isn't genuine - are frowned upon.

yeah I'm on a bit of a bender after reading Spengler.

Thank you. You literally ruined the whole genre for me

not really accurate imo. The ruins became popular because classicalism became the dominant way of viewing the West. The ruins were all we had after the dark ages when Christians destroyed all of those cultures. Most of western art has been trying to get back to that time, i.e the Renaissance, the Third Reich, literally all of America's government buildings.

A better influence on lo fi would probably be japanese concepts of wabi-sabi and the old western troubador tales that follow hank Williams recordings and recordings of that error. there is a reason it's all lo-fi garage rock (primarily west coast influenced where large asian populations settled) and folk (following the hank williams bit).

Not that I have any idea what you read. This is solely based off my perspective, I don't have any learned thinkers to fall back on for this one.

i bet her pussy was so soft back then

you're welcome.

>The ruins became popular because classicalism became the dominant way of viewing the West.
fuck. if Spengler's writing (esp since it's translated) weren't so dry and lacking in catchy quotes, maybe I'd have remembered a passage in which he directly addresses this - because he did. I've dug myself into a hole, paraphrasing dense metahistorical philosophical shit that's really beyond my intellect. If you actually give a shit, might be worth picking up 'Decline of the West' and giving it a read yourself.

>being primarily white/western "ruins" a genre for you
Kill yourself if you hate yourself so much.

did this nigga just go off on a tangent just to recc a shitty book?

you mean like how garage, punk, and indie all imply D.I.Y. and hence lo-fi?

Cool, I will check it out because I read stuff like that on the regular. Thanks user.

theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/feb/17/ruins-love-affair-decayed-buildings

>ywn feel her soft pussy
why even live

bump

It's an aesthetic, shitbird

lo-fi rock has been a thing since before hip hop

why would that ruin the genre for you hipster?

that's exactly what i was saying you mung.

lo-fi hiphop is literally just boom-bap for weebs