Both his grandpa and uncle had their hands chopped off during a lightsaber battle

>both his grandpa and uncle had their hands chopped off during a lightsaber battle
>decides to use a lightsaber with a crossguard to prevent that from happen to him
>"hurr durr the crossguard lightsaber looks sooooo retarded"

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2016/10/daisy-ridley-responds-to-mary-sue-criticisms.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looks like a nine year old made it

how is that any different than the normal ones?

>gets beaten by two untrained jive turkeys.
>worrying about a crossguard.

It looks dumb and now he got beaten silly by a little girl and a failed trooper.

He's probably the worst force user in the starwars movie universe. Which is sad considering his lineage. NotJacen being that pathetic is amusing when his real counterpart is a beast that only luke compared with.

I didn't watch the movie as I have no interest in a Star Wars George Lucas didn't work on, but is the lightsaber like that in the film? The fucking beam starts oast his finger, that 'cross guard' isn't protecting shit.

>"hurr durr the crossguard lightsaber looks sooooo retarded"

Kylo is the retard here though, getting beat by a Mary Sue who never touched a lightsaber is just plain stupid.

Why not make a lifesaber that covers your entire body so no one can hit you?

You're missing out. Movies are way better without lucas

That lightsaber actually further detailed the narrative and is a literal extension of Kylo Ren's character.

Primitive design, highly unstable, crudely assembled but powerful.
He built the crossguard not because "I'm a special snowflake and it's protection lmao" but because he couldn't build it any other way to work, the beams on the crossguard are there because the main beam is too powerful and unstable to go in one single beam.
It's not like there are lightsaber shops in the galaxy where everyone buys their saber in their favorite color.

You can find all the details in the official canon SW nerd books and wookieepedias google it I'm lazy.

>DUDE KNIGHTS OF REN LMAO
>DUDE THE CRUSADES LMAO
>DUDE WHITE PEOPLE ARE BAD LMAO

If you say so.

you do understand that she is just like Ani and luke right? on top of that it is very obvious that they are telling her story over the movies.

>be 8 year old boy
>be the only human ever to Pod Race and build your own from a box of scraps in a cave
>also build a super advance android with same scraps
>win the big Pod Race beating the best racers in the galaxy
>get to planet you never knew existed.
>get in to one of their fighters and win the battle
>next time we see him he is teh best jedi EVAR with no training ever showed

>be backwoods bumpkin fuckin around with farm equipment
>never have left the planet or done anything besides farm moisture
>get put in to a fighter he never flew before than blows up the Death Star

Star Wars has always had heroes that were very talented with no training.

>I didn't watch the movie as I have no interest in a Star Wars George Lucas didn't work on,

That's almost like saying you have no interest in a meal Guy Fieri didn't cook. Lucas himself liked it you dumbshit.

>Star Wars has always had heroes that were very talented with no training.

Name 3.

I do not care if he liked it. If it wasn't his vision it wasn't Star Wars, just goofy expensive fanfiction I couldn't give a shit about.

Luke
Anikin
Rey(maybe the flashbacks make it seem like she might have had some)

but guy fieri is my personal chef and i literally have no interest in a meal he hasn't cooked.

>It looks dumb and now he got beaten silly by a little girl and a failed trooper.

>Kylo is the retard here though, getting beat by a Mary Sue who never touched a lightsaber is just plain stupid.

He might have gotten beat, but he didn't get his hand cut off, so who had the stupid lightsabers now ? Dooku Vader and Luke all lost hands, but Kylo still gets to feel that natural skin grip when he touches his wee wee.

Oh, how are things in flavortown ?

>using the character you're trying to justify having no training and being da best as an example for historical characters in star wars that had no training and were da best
Impressed by the sheer cheek of it tb h fa m.

You mean this book?

But user both Anakin and Luke got slaughtered when they went against a Sith Lord for the first time.

>Luke
>Knew how to handle a blaster from shooting womp rats on Tatooine
>Had prior training in being a pilot from racing his T-16 skyhopper on Tatooine
>Was trained to use the force by Ben in Episode 4, and then by Yoda in Episode 5
>Got his ass kicked by Vader the first time they fought, and only won their rematch when he gave into his anger

>Anakin
>Grew up as a slave for Watto and as a result ended up learning how to fix and build things
>Knew how to pilot a pod racer because Watto forced him to race, and even then he had never even so much as finished a race before the events of TPM
>Was only able to fly a Naboo starfighter because it was stuck on autopilot and R2 was there to help him the entire way
>Was trained to become a Jedi from age 10 by Obi-Wan, despite his future being clouded and him still having an attachment to his mother
>Was very arrogant and cocky as a Jedi padawan, resulting in him losing an arm to Dooku
>Ended up falling in love and marrying Padme, despite love being forbidden by the Jedi code
>Let his fear and anger get the best of him at times, which ultimately resulted in his downfall

Rey is the only one on your list that has had no prior training.

>Kylo Ren takes his mask off
>the entire theater starts chuckling

>how dare you point out the main characters of the canon! you need to use non canon expanded universe shit that is full of even more overpowered fucks for no reason

you do know that outside of the movies and the new TV shows nothing is canon right.
They are the only heroes left in the canon. Maybe the hero of CWs(orange slut) and the rebels show are trained and/or are not great at their job from the start. that is still 3/5 main heroes that have very little/no training and are extremely talented to the point of winning major battles in their first movie.

Kek.this

Rey grew up scavenging on a planet alone.it is shown that it is not a easy life for those people. It is shown she knows how to fight. it shows she knows how to take a part machines and tell what is usable still.
stop looking at the whole story of Luke/Anikin. It is not fair to compare 3 movies of development to 1.
just compare the start of each of their stories.

if you take the same amount of training and life experiences they all have at the start of their first movies. she does pullout a head even if you dont take in to account that they are setting up something with her past. you know those flashbacks?

and neither one of them had a Force Flashback when touching a light saber

you forgot on lukes side
>first time flying Xwing ever wins a major space battle and destroying the Deathstar

compared to Rey's
>beat a emo faggot who has been emotional and reckless as shit throughout the movie

That was the worst women pandering in the movie. Holy shit was that awful and cringe worthy to watch.
A guy who got the best masters to train him and probably years of experience, beaten by a day one jedi.

I think your strong autism led you to misunderstand my post. You can't use Rey having no training and being great as historical precedent for SW movies having characters that have no training and are great, and thus justify Rey.

Yes, and not to mention how Rey out piloted Tie Fighter pilots who were trained since they were little kids to do nothing but fly tie fighters on her first try.

Rey is a text book mary sue with zero character development. Only redditors think otherwise.

>oh chewbacca Han was just murdered let me go comfort Rey, who I have known for mere minutes and who only knew Han for a day rather than his best friend for years

xD

But at least it was established Luke already knew how to pilot a ship, unlike Rey where nothing was established except for her lack of training/experience yet she still was superior to everyone she came against despite all of their years of training and experience.

ok.
so 2/4. if you count TV shows as the same level as movie heroes. why would they go with the TV frame work for a movie hero? Lucas never did that. the 1st movies always start with a hero with next to no formal training but are insanely talented at things. always being hand waved as "oh well they are Force Users".

At least with Rey they are showing her talents in fighting might be trained. we know they are doing more movies. we know they are telling the story of the characters of the 3 movies. we know they are doing something with Rey's past where she is connected to Kylo(remember when he throws a fit about "a girl"?) directly and Luke's Jedi.

I'm disappointed I haven't found an Image macro with "anakin built this in a cave with a box of scraps!" captioned on it.

Except both Anakin and Luke lost in ther first major lightsabre duel. Doesn't matter how much you try to compare Rey to Luke, the fact is Luke was a good character with good progression, Rey on the other hand felt forced just for the sake of "girl power". Anakin is shit, I'll give you that.

>justifies Rey by comparing him to TPM and AOC Anakin

That really shows just how shitty of a character Rey is, thanks for proving the point.

>uses Luke as an example to say he has no training

But Luke has years of experience flying and shooting in his T-16, and he didn't destroy the death star by himself it was a joint mission with with the Rebellion, he just landed the finishing blow.

And that's still vastly superior to Rey who succeeds at everything by herself on her frist try with both zero training and zero experience.

there is a world of difference between that shuttle he flew on his home world and a fighter in a dog fight with imperial tie fighters that are stationed on Vader's Flag ship and on the Death star along with Vader himself(the best pilot in the galaxy) THEN blowing up the Deathstar when people who have been piloting for years could not.

Do you forgot that a few moments before he got shot in the guts by Chewie? Of course he wasn't fighting at 100%

Ok, doesn't change the fact that Luke both failed and succeeded, and when he succeeded it was at least semi-justifiable because he succeeded with the help of other, his previous experience and the force.

Whereas Rey never failed and most things (every major thing) she succeeded at was with zero help, zero training and zero experience.

Her story is not done being told. again as the movie shows multiple times there is something going on with her past. she very likely has been trained before and has a memory block of some sort.

Did you forget all of the shots of Kylo punching his wound to use the dark side to draw power from the pain and anger?

Did you forget the part where it was established Kylo has years of training from Luke and Snoke, and years of experience using the force yet was overpowered in the force by Rey when she pulled the lightsaber to her despite her having zero experience and training and just found out she could ever use the force a couple of hours ago?

>zero training and zero experience.
we dont know this. infact if you watch the movie without crying the whole time you would have noticed though out the movie it is hinted force sensitive people know her and she has a history with jedi.

That remains to be seen, so lets really hope that the future movies can explain why Rey out flew Tie fighters despite never piloting a ship before, why she was so adept in using the force and a lightsaber despite never using either before and having no training/experience in using either, why Leia ignored Chewy to immediately go comfort Rey after Han died despite her knowing him fora day, etc.

Gave me a chuckle thanks senpai

vulture.com/2016/10/daisy-ridley-responds-to-mary-sue-criticisms.html

>Ridley brought up how "everyone was saying that Luke had the exact same [capabilities]," and she also took issue with the entire notion of a Mary Sue, noting that it's an inherently gendered objection: "The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s the name of a woman."

I think I hate the character even more now

>mfw redditors are out of arguments to defend Rey and have to resort to saying that the future movies will make up for her lack of character development and progression

You don't know shit. For now with what we know for sure, Rey is a mary sue with no character development and progression.

>white slavers
>he liked it

there is no way they would be setting up all these plot threads for her without capitalizing on them in the other 2 movies that were planed from the start.

>there is no way

Prove it.

She's not wrong though.
Anakin was naturally talented at everything he ever touched and came from virgin birth. Luke was his kid and also a prodigy.

Ben is a kid of two non-force users and Rey's parentage is unknown, so she might be naturally talented.
In SW all comes down to genetics and legacies.

so ignore reality and indulge in your culture of outrage.
they have shown she has a past. they have not revealed the story behind it. we know there are movies coming. they are being built to be seen as a whole thus why they are putting in things like flash backs and hints from Kylo and Lukes reaction to her.

it is made by Disney
they are a business. they are about making money. they would not waste tons of money/time on foreshadowing major character arcs without using it.

are you retarded or just pretending?

>so ignore reality

But that's the complete opposite of what I'm doing, I'm just using reality and what exists and is available to me to form my opinion, which is why I've concluded that Rey is a mary sue with zero character development and progression.

In fact you're the one ignoring reality because your only defense to that claim is to say that in the future (which is unknown) everything will be explained. You don't know that. You don't know what her past entails and if it will make up for her lack of character development and progression.

And how do you know anything in the future films will make up for her lack of character development and progression. You don't know what will be in the future films, you don't know if they'll give a good reason as to why Leia ignored Chewy and went to Rey after Han died, or why Rey was so adept in flying a ship/using the force/using a lightsaber/using a blaster on her first try despite never suing any of those things before, and all of the other smaller things she succeeded at with zero help, zero training and zero experience.

It's clear she has a past, but what that past entails is unknown, and if it will make up for her lack of development and progression is unknown. But with what is known is that in TFA Rey has zero character development and progression and is a text book mary sue.

Stop ignoring reality.

>textbook Mary Sue
she is a self insert?
Do you even know what/where the term comes from and what it means?

>A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.
>often

I can see you really have no argument left as you had to try (and fail) to play semantics rather than address the fact that you don't know what Rey's backstory entails and if it will adequately make up for her lack of progression and development.

it is the defining characteristic of a mary/gary sue.

She has something to her.
you are just being autistic because they are not ruined their story and marketing plans with the first movie.

>Watching Force Awakens in high school because a landwhale feminist teacher wanted to show what a progressive female protagonist is
>Entire class is either a bunch of Stacys that don't give a fuck about Star Wars or autistic memers that don't give a fuck about the movie
>Entire class is just the memers making fun of all the shitty scenes in the movie while the Stacys make fun of the memers for "discussing" Star Wars
>Gets to the scene when Kylo calls Finn a traitor
>Entire fucking class loses it
>Land whale tells everyone that they need to shut the fuck up or they're going to the office
>I told the land whale the only progressive thing this movie did was make the black character the most likable character in the film
>I got three detentions for it
>It was worth it

This movie was fucking stupid, but it's fun as fuck to rip into pieces with a bunch of other people.

you do know you are not allowed to post here right lil timmy?

>something that sometimes happens is the defining characteristic

ok senpai, sure.

>She has something to her

Ya she does, but nobody knows what that something is. You don't know what direction they'll take it. What we do know for now though is that Rey is a mary sue with zero character development and progression. And she has such a lack of development and progression that even if they do address some of her problems it's doubtful they'll address them all.

it isn't always a self insert you humongous retarded faggot

no.
she would be a Mary Sue if she was just how she was but without any of the hints that she is strong with the force and has been trained.

much like luke who flew a shuttle around his home planet was able to hold his own in a advanced fighter he never flew before in dog fight against the best troops and get the shot that people who have fighting and piloting for years could not make.

its the same fucking shit.
if you just only looked at the first movie in each of the trilogies each one of the main heroes have no formal training but are able to do shit shit no one else can do with the hand wave of the force.

That's a really dumb justification. The only reason it has cross gaurd is because JJ wanted it to look like a sword with a cross guard. It's a dumb design because cross guards are supposed to help stop your fingers getting sliced off, but having it made of lightsaber makes it seem more dangerous than not having it at all.

and a double sided staff saber is safer?

>I told the land whale the only progressive thing this movie did was make the black character the most likable character in the film
I wish this story were real

No he wasn't. He failed as a pod racer for years before anyone showed up. He tinkered around with shit but never finished anything until the plot demanded it. The pod wasn't finished. C3po wasn't finished.

He failed at understanding what a Jedi is, rebelled against it but had exceptional skills in combat so they kept elevating him because the Order was becoming more militant as galaxy turned to war.

Nobody the entire way gave him a benefit of the doubt when it came to wisdom side of the force and it showed, and it ended up pissing him off so much that it lead to his downfall and continued mistakes.

he was beaten by Dooku several times in combat and the first time he lost an arm.

Anakin made so many mistakes that you can count his successes in-between them. Being a powerful force user doesn't mean cheat codes.

And if you include all of that and people still thought he was the chosen one and he still failed yet people say he's so gifted..yet he fails in every movie.

In all of them. 7 movies and he fails in all of them. Including Rogue 1 letting the plans slip through his fingers and information escapes him, leading to the death stars destruction.

Yes, both in-universe and cinematically, because it gives you the opportunity to do things that a traditional lightsaber simply cannot do. Ren's saber is a traditional lightsaber except shittier, you can't do anything different with it in fight scenes or in universe from a regular saber, all it does is provide a semi-cool visual at the cost of being much fucking clunkier looking in an action scene and stupid as fuck.

>but without any of the hints that she is strong with the force and has been trained

Such as?

And where were the hints to explain why Leia went to Rey after Han died instead of Chewy? Where were the hints to explain why Rey out maneuvered Tie fighters despite never flying before?

>its the same fucking shit.

No it's not. Luke had his traits established and explained. Luke failed and succeeded with the help of others, his previous experience and the force.

Nothing was established for Rey, she never failed and she succeeded at everything with no help and no experience in what she was succeeding at.

Future films made Luke better, but at least Luke in ANH was a decent character. If future films will make Rey better is unknown, but Rey in TFA is a shitty mary sue with no development and progression.

this is cannon

Seriously what is the fucking use of this design? In a blad clash an enemy lightsaber is still going to slice his fucking hand off at the wrist since the beam crossguard only starts past his fucking fingers!

A) not really. it was kind of dumb

B) At least it was based on karate bo staff shit that was neat

C)

you often find this problem with waifuists trying to defend her yet they don't remember the movie clearly enough to understand that they're starting from a losing point of view.

Which is why there is no rebuttal since you can compare them and movie fails on several levels. The three act structure is messed up and J.J left out the loophole that allowed Vader to keep his villain potential while still allowing the protagonists to win.

He made a bad copy and failed to realize why the first one worked. He is a bad student caught in a corporate world. Since the suits don't care they just want money but it leaves him in an unenviable position.

There is also the problem that they're afraid to give female characters flaws because they want to avoid criticism. Which ironically lead to criticism since her portrayal is one note, indefensible and rout for its lack of creativity.

Luke
>Farmboy
>Experienced pilot
>Trained by Obi Wan, Ghostie Wan, and Yoda
>Nobody really liked him to begin with. Except his bro Briggs.

Anakin
>Slaveboy
>Experience droid mechanic
>Experienced pod racer / pod engineer
>Had an entire Jedi Order to train him with most thinking he's 'The Chosen One'
>Nobody really liked him to begin with. Except his bro Liam.

All we know of Rey based on Ep VII is that she's good with a staff and has a keen eye for valuable scrap. She may have been a youngling at Luke's academy when Kylo attacked, the film doesn't show it and is intentionally obnoxiously vague about it to the point that it just screams "On the Next Episode of Star WarZ. . ."

Kylo Ren is a great character. He's like an exploration of what might have happened if Luke had been found by the dark side instead of Obi Wan.

Movie 1 he's a bit of a whiny bitch, suffers some setbacks, but does something major. Him losing the lightsaber fight is kind of like Luke losing his family, and killing Han Solo is kind of like the dark side equivalent of a successful trench run.

Hopefully we'll continue to see the character manifest in a roughly similar fashion. Luke was kind of a badass by the end of RotJ, and I hope Kylo Ren eventually becomes a badass in his own right.

He's basically a caricature of Star Wars diehards. Like them, he is a lonely, unpleasant young white man who grew up at odds with his parents, obsessed over the paraphernalia of movies that came out before he was born. While every other major new character in the movies is just bumbling around with their own problems, Kylo is obsessed with the story of Star Wars and longs to take his place in its legend. Abrams' Star Trek movies had a similar message which essentially identified old fans with the villains, trusting that the new fans wouldn't care and the old fans would see the movie anyway just because they have to.

The movie is all about costly failures of machismo; the only male character who is broadly portrayed in a positive light (Finn) is also a weak buffoon. Much as Kylo represents the obsessive superfan who hates the movie but goes to see it anyway because it is Star Wars, the focus of his existence, Finn represents the average Tom, Dick, or Jamarcus on the street who just goes to see Star Wars because it is the cool thing to do right now. Meanwhile Rey represents Abrams' vision of the future of the fanbase, a little girl (she is almost completely desexualized and infantile, innocent figure for a female lead (hence Sup Forums's obsession with her as a sex object)) whose dreams of Star Wars must take a back seat to her real life problems.

This is also why Rey is ridiculously competent at everything she does despite never training at any of it. It's because her actions are meant to represent the kind of arbitrary imaginative play-pretend way you thought of Star Wars as a kid - you're flying the ships, you're moving things with your mind, you're fighting the evil mask guy with the red sword, you're not thinking about how incongruous that kind of fantasizing is with the world the movie portrays. Kylo's problem is he's past 30 and still loves Star Wars.

If by Ben you mean Ben Solo/Kylo then you're wrong since Leia used the force in Empire and Force Awakens

You mean this book?

>world of difference between that shuttle he flew on his home world and a fighter in a dog fight with imperial tie fighters
Not really, X-wings and Skyhoppers are both made by Incom. And besides airspeeders handle the same as a starfighter. Repulsorlifts=Antigrav.

In Star Wars the only difference between an airspeeder like a Skyhopper or a Snowspeeder and a starfighter like an X-wing is the ability to go in space. Oh and hyperdrive.

>Ben is a kid of two non-force users

>>Slaveboy
>>Experience droid mechanic
>>Experienced pod racer / pod engineer
>>Had an entire Jedi Order to train him with most thinking he's 'The Chosen One'
>>Nobody really liked him to begin with. Except his bro Liam.

This guy gets it. All the "mary sue" autists are just, sooo mad and angry, Grrrrrrr.

Quality Armandposting but you forgot the jpeg with his face

Don't forget, she knows more about than Millennium falcon than Han Solo

What Armand?

Lol missing out on a shit show.

So this is a star wars shill fan in action.

You guys need to watch the movie sometime. She doesn't know more about the Millenium Falcon generally, she's just more familiar with the additions/modifications that have been made since Han lost it. They both agree on the criticism regarding the booster or whatever, then later she bypasses the power convertor, which is an addition that Han had only just encountered and was having some difficulty resolving.

It's fair to criticize other things in the movie, but when you fail to accurately characterize the scene it makes the rest of your observations look bad.

Watch it, Rey!

The lightsaber obviously didn't want to go to him. He was struggling to move it before Rey even stepped in, and you can see the confusion on his face.

For a guy who could stop blaster bolts in mid air, or drag people across a room, pulling a lightsaber to himself should be easy.

Why do retards always bring this up?

She knows about modifications made to it AFTER Han had lost it. She even says her boss put them there, and she thought it was a mistake, making it clear she was involved in the installation in some capacity.

Luke had to get help from Wedge and Han. The reason why he won wasn't because he was an amazing pilot, it's because he had friends + the force to rely on

>was overpowered in the force by Rey when she pulled the lightsaber to her despite
Rey was behind him, they were pulling in the same direction. That's not overpowering.

>both his grandpa and uncle had their hands chopped off during a lightsaber battle
>decides to use a lightsaber with a crossguard to prevent that from happen to him
>Gets slashed in the face

Damn, I nearly forgot how much Chewie got shafted. I would almost prefer it if he died between the movies than the shitty fan pandering role he got.

>heroes that were very talented with no training.
Luke's only talent was driving shit and not fucking it up (and he only blew the Death Star thanks to Obi Wan and Han Solo's help)
He got his ass kicked by Vader in empire, and even after all the time that happened in between V and VI, when he increased his power, the Emperor fucked him up too

Couldn't another lightsaber go through the metal parts of the crossguard if it slid down the main blade

>not wanting to look super cool by getting your hand chopped off and getting a fucking rad robot hand
wow what a nerd