Why do poor fags into college instead of into trades?

Why do poor fags into college instead of into trades?

I'm a journeyman millwright and make $110-$130k per year with only a high school + trade school level education. I've never worked for a union before, so my high wage isn't based on that. It's based on the fact that I have a lot of skills that are in demand. In addition to my skills as a millwright (which essential involve installing/moving/repairing everything from conveyor belt systems to huge, multi million dollar industrial machines) I'm also a certified welder and licensed industrial electrician.

College, for the most part, doesn't teach skills and skills are the only thing employers give care about. No one cares if you can do integral calculus, speak French, or understand the intricacies of what ever the fuck Monet painted. But if you can weld big pipes, rig for and signal cranes correctly, or wire motor control systems companies are willing to pay you very, very well for these skills.

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/oes/current/oes499044.htm
economictimes.indiatimes.com/nri/visa-and-immigration/h-1b-visa-for-foreign-talent-not-to-replace-us-workers-with-cheap-labour-us-media/articleshow/52785147.cms
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what do you do about mass immigration screwing over trade workers?

Honestly? I think it's the fear of automation. I have a cousin who is a Chem engineer and thinks that most blue collar jobs will be automated semi soon

cheap labor isnt skilled, and skilled labor isnt cheap. employers know this, skilled trade jobs can never be replaced by cheap immigrant labor.

>what do you do about mass immigration screwing over trade workers?

Which trade workers? I currently work with 5 or 6 Hispanic guys, but they're all born American citizens and native English speakers. We do have one immigrant from Central America who is very limited in what he can do because he doesn't know English well enough to read and understand blueprints and specs or use computers in English.

>Honestly? I think it's the fear of automation. I have a cousin who is a Chem engineer and thinks that most blue collar jobs will be automated semi soon

Whoa industrial automation is exactly what I do and let me tell you that it is knocking the socks off of low skilled workers. But it won't be able to touch what I do within my lifetime.

Computer programmer here, would like to disagree. Poolinloo everywhere

>Computer programmer here, would like to disagree. Poolinloo everywhere

The difference is programmers can do what they do from anywhere in the world, but my work involves doing what we do on the actual site itself.

cant outsource mechatronics.

shame you picked such any easy job.

That is pretty impressive money to make for non union. What state do you live in? What kind of work do you do, I assume this would be mostly construction millwrighting?

Have to be hired as an apprentice to start a trade but our economy is in the shitter and no ones hiring.

Also my friend tells me half the tradesmen where he works are imported Somalians so there's that I guess.

>. What state do you live in? What kind of work do you do, I assume this would be mostly construction millwrighting?

My residency is in Texas and I'm paid a Texan's wage + travel expenses. Most of my work is on the border between commercial and industrial work and is best classified as systems automation. The work is approximately 75% doing millwright work and 25% doing industrial electrical (read: control wiring) work.

I do a lot of work installing automation systems in commercial warehouses and distribution centers for companies which I am not allowed to specifically name. But if you know what happens in Amazon's distribution centers, you basically know what I am automating.

That is a pretty impressive wage for non union. I would assume being union would get you that kind of wage. How many years down there does it take to become an industrial electrician? Did you have to right a competency test at the end of your millwright apprenticeship? How many sessions of schooling did you have for millwright, how many for industrial electrician?

Sorry man, that sounds like a bad situation.

What province are you from?

union is more about benefits desu

>110
>130k
pick 1 lie and stick with it

A lot of men do trades instead of colleges. Especially in the last two decades.

It depends on work! It isn't a 9-5 job 5 days a week what he does. Is that hard to understand?

what trades are the least physical? I had surgery on my hip and knee and want a trade.

>not allowed

Brah, this is 4 chan, not any other social media site where you aren't anonymous and your info can be searched by your bosses

I'm a welder that works for the boilermakers union. It's o.k. Getting in was a bitch though.

machinists

they're dumb, also why they are poor. Entitlement has reached new highs and no one wants to do anything anymore.

You have all position SMAW? Any other welding tickets? What province?

h1b visas. Your time will come.

like the ones that work on cars?

Because a college degree is worth more social status than a trade skill that required physical work.

It's much nicer to boast about your son that went to college than if he'd stay in town and became a plumber.

They aren't going to get anybody from anywhere to do what OP does. The skills he has are very specialized.

Alberta. No CWB tickets, hardly any jobs in our union that need it. B Pressure ticket, then you kind of start working at getting all of them. TIG Inco, stainless are the ones you want right off the hop though.

Pooinloo only produce spaghetti code. The upside is it is complete lightning quick. I've had to deal with tons of fucking Indian "Development" teams on freelancer for jobs. The work is sub-par.

Start working on hard tasks that prove your worth to your boss. You won't be replaced.

>factories are all drying up
>old millwrights are getting old
>companies too cheap to buy new equipment, entering into shops filled with ancient machinery held together by hacked fixes and bastardized Digital/Electronics slapped onto them
>the people that made your machines and replacement parts are now out of business due to china. the specific parts you need are impossible to get, or it takes you ordering 20 from China until you get one that works
>companies constantly looking to save money, with cheaper materials and not replacing equipment
>trade schools are getting lazy, and would rather charge an exorbitant amount for doing tutorial shit on a computer(cheaply) than actual hands-on learning(expensive, can't cram as many people into a class).
>companies don't want to pay you as much as they did the old Millwrights, start tiered wage systems, where you'll never make as much as the millwrights you're replacing did, even if you work there 'til you're 60
>Those old Millwrights bought houses, cars, raised families, sent their kids to school etc
>new millwrights have to start from scratch where everything costs more, and you make less

Manufacturing in NA is dead. Being the poor fuckers that have to put cheaper tape over cheap tape to keep it together...

Prospects for this are shit in the UK, it's quite costly and hard to even get into. The system is set up to be as difficult and arcane as possible. Have to get all kinds of licences and shit, registered etc. If someone said to me I could make $110k PA from a high school and trade school ed I would be like "how?"

Everything in this country is a joke.

Yeah, OP is special so no one could ever do his job.

Do you get much work? I assume their wouldn't be much new infrastructure being built just maintenance on existing stuff.

That's a mechanic. Machinists run lathes and CNC machines.

who cares about social status when you have no debt, and disposable income

I'm trying to get into locksmithing, myself.

>110-130k per year
bls.gov/oes/current/oes499044.htm
You're literally in the top 0.1% of the pay wage, if this is actually the case.
>College, for the most part, doesn't teach skills and skills are the only thing employers give care about. No one cares if you can do integral calculus, speak French
I don't mean to be rude, Gramps, but that's a very big fucking claim, coming from someone who apparently never went to college.
Companies care very much if their R&D workers can do """integral calculus,""" and a foreign language is always a boon for anyone who wants to work at an international (most people in this country opt for Spanish or German, however).
You're also wrong about students not taking any skills away from college. I can only speak from my own experience in Computer Science (which requires a shit load of unrelated requisites, because the best programs for comp sci are always at engineering colleges), but I have a well-worn physics text sitting on my desk. If someone sat us both down and gave us each a copy of the text and a problem regarding just about anything from it, I would be able to solve it in about 20 minutes. I'd be surprised, if you could solve it in a year.

It sounds like you've got a great setup for yourself, but you're not doing kids any favors by telling them "fuck school, be a plumber." You and I both know that your job isn't safe, easy, or exciting.

Get me on bro, I'm in Texas and trying to find something that will support 2 kids.

I just work shutdowns, never new construction to be honest. Theres enough work. Make anywhere from 14-19k/month when I choose to work.

I don't think you really understand what goes into doing what he does. More problem solving than you think.

Combat vet here it's all well and good till your body starts breaking down in your late 30s/early 40s and you no longer have any job security. I'd rather not be exhausted and in pain for the rest of my life. That's why I'm getting a degree and will get a nice comfy desk job and soak up the A/C.

To scam them into debt and become a debt ridden wage slave forever

A good college teaches you how to learn quickly and be able to bullshit your way through what you don't know. Granted I can't run a fucking lathe or work on jet turbines but I could probably bullshit my way through any job that pays 50k-100k a year that needs a college degree.

You realize the H1B visa process is now under a lot of scrutiny, and legislation is coming up to severely curtail it? And, IF Trump wins the presidency, H1B is nixed.

Now, I'm talking best case scenario, but there is a lot of heat under the program itself, with congress and the media focusing on it. Case in point:

economictimes.indiatimes.com/nri/visa-and-immigration/h-1b-visa-for-foreign-talent-not-to-replace-us-workers-with-cheap-labour-us-media/articleshow/52785147.cms

Unless you machine large stuff, like turning parts for the oil and gas industry. It might pay better but the work becomes far more dangerous, tiring, and dirty.

At several companies I have worked for, they have had entire floors full of pooinloos because apparently Americans don't want to learn Oracle or some shit.

That is impressive. I guess you might be back at Ft Mac soon, must be some stuff to do since the fire. You must go into SK too?

Where do you usually go to work? What city/town are you based out of?

Yet you'll never unlock her vagina.

>I would assume being union would get you that kind of wage.

Unions really aren't a thing in Texas, but the company I work for does have a provision in their employee handbook about offering good wages in exchange for expecting a mutually beneficial relationship with employees. My hourly rate + yearly bonuses is above average for Texas.

>How many years down there does it take to become an industrial electrician?

8,000 hours of documented work time is the standard before you can take the journeyman test in almost all US states.

>Did you have to right a competency test at the end of your millwright apprenticeship? How many sessions of schooling did you have for millwright, how many for industrial electrician?

I learned to be a millwright through a vocational education program. I have no idea how many sessions were involved -- add up the number of days in a normal school year and multiply it by two and you'll have your answer.

I did my electrical training as a combo of on the job training and a journeyman exam prep course offered by the Independent Electrical Contractors Association. I can tell you that they use Mike Holt's curriculum and we were flown back home to take classes every Saturday for 2 months.

Apprentice Carpenter here. I must say Carpentry is the comfiest career. Nothing abstract, totally based in reality. And you develop great skills for real life. Dont listen to the fucking faggot neets in this thread there is a shitload of work for carpenters. Union or nonunion. Its a perfect job for someone who wants to start a family. I want to build a gutenberg press on the side soon...

Someone has to do what OP does. Good on him. I am sure he works smart and does not put his body in compromising positions when not needed.

>pick 1 lie and stick with it

It's a range. Sometimes we work standard 8 hour days, sometimes we have to work monster 20 hour days. If you have any understanding of math at all, you'll understand that this results in a lot of variance.

Based out of Edmonton. Usually just work in the Alberta area, Ft Mac is a big one, then the power plants / Fertilizer / Upgrader shit around Edmonton. The odd job around Calgary and Reddeer.

IT: get into it, specifically something worthwhile like database, virtualization or network security admin.

People have to manage machine logic and those people get paid well.

Bless kek.

same here, these licenses/registrations etc are pretty much inherited. the only realistic way to get them is by getting them from a close relative.

>inb4 back problems, hemorrhoids, hypertension, diabetes and eventual heart failure

I work a cushy indoor job. They stress you the fuck out and make you lazy. I can't wait until my enlistment is up so I can move into the goddamn wilderness.

holee phuc

That is great that you got into the union. I assume that you had to have your B-pressure welding ticket before getting in to the union. I am surprised it isn't just a SMAW ticket to get in.

Isn't B-Pressure ticket a stick ticket? Wouldn't you need your all position SMAW before getting your B-Pressure ticket?

Not doing too bad yourself laddie

> Make games for fun while doing TA work for Uni for programming courses
> Make livable wage right out of Uni
> Decide I should learn more backend because it's useful for some of my game ideas
> Enroll in month-long certified Oracle class
> It entails some big-breasted bimbo blabbing about her daily life, talking about her midnight gym sessions, and her reciting exactly what the packet says
> She claims she's a backend developer, but you know she doesn't know fucking shit...

Jesus, I barely learned how to write a succinct MySQL query in that class. It took me doing my own shit to properly understand how the fuck UNION works...

ex millwright here:

because it's a shitty ass job that noone wants

Why didn't you complain to Oracle or Tweet Larry Ellison?

Their is being a millwright and then their is being a hackwright/shoemaker...

You can do your initial b with a TIG root or with 6010, it's your choice. I didn't need any tickets to get in, I joined as a 2nd year apprentice. You don't even need your B to get in as a permit, it's just that there isn't a whole lot of permit Journeyman jobs, so your B is kind of needed to get the permit jobs that are usually available.

>h1b visas. Your time will come.

Man the last fucking thing I'm worried about is an Indian or Chink doing the work I do.

Could your even imagine a poo in the loo or Chinaman doing physical work? Hispanics, I could see. But H1B? Please don't deport me!

this interests me.

>tfw you just want to be an animator
>Fucking Canadians ruined the industry
>Golden age of animation is long dead

On one hand it's never been easier on the other hand it's ruined and it doesn't pay well BECAUSE OF FUCKING CANADIAN SHITS!

3rd year HVAC apprentice checking in

>tfw seeing all these uni cunts from school posting about their exams

They're all literally going to end up working in real estate with 100k HECS debt

*there
you illiterate failure

millwrighing is tedious busy work and anyone who tells you millwrighting is complicated is missing a few brain cells

I should also mention that you don't need your CWB SMAW or any other CWB to get pressure tickets. You don't even need to be a welder to get CWB tickets i'm pretty sure. Could be wrong about that last part.

>programmer
>skilled

Pick one.

I guess you do the root pass with TIG and the fill is with 7018? That is what a video shows on youtube. Or you can do the root with 6010 and the fill with 7018?

How did you get your position? Please tell me it is as easy as walking in and shaking someone's hand because if I have to fill out one more damn electronic application with a 150 question psych eval, I'm going to need a real psych eval!

Because I can teach myself, but I had no clue where to begin. Fuck starting off with stupid edgy faggot blogs where they show you their specific problem set and how they specifically solved it with no explanation of what you could do differently for other situations.

After going through the course, I got the packet which was chalk full of examples. Spent my free time reading through it and practicing on my own. Turns out, I didn't need a relational database anyways for game development, but it was a useful skill I picked up anyways.

Now I'm teaching kids how to program mobile devices while I make my own games.

their
T͟Her/
determiner
possesive pronoun: their; possesive pronoun: Their; determiner: Their

belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
"her taunts had lost their power to touch him"
belonging to or associated with a person of unspecified sex.
"she heard someone blow their nose loudly"
used in titles.
"a double portrait of Their Majesties"

A poor girl wants to marry
And a rich girl wants to flirt
A rich man goes to college
And a poor man goes to work
A drunkard wants another drink of wine
And a politician wants a vote
I don't want much of nothin' at all
But I will take another toke

But I ain't asking nobody for nothin'
If I can't get it on my own
If you don't like the way I'm livin'
Ya just leave this long haired country boy alone

What a lot of people don't mention is how some of the trades can be miserable with sporadic work even though they pay well on paper. For instance being a residential electrician is very different from an industrial electrician both in $$$ and in type and consistency of work. I know carpenters that only do commercial now because working on homes and getting stiffed and hunting for new jobs is so aggravating.

Also if you are a good programmer and you like to program you are set because any decent company will sit you in an office and keep you programming. They will even have other guys doing QA so you can keep producing. If you look and speak like Richard Stallman big fucking deal that's not important.

It's a much different story with the trades. If you are a residential plumber and you enjoy plumbing work you don't get to just go somewhere and fix stuff and leave. There's a lot of sales involved, especially with residential work so your interpersonal and customer service skills are incredibly important. You end up being more like a car salesman, building up a portfolio of customers.

>You're literally in the top 0.1% of the pay wage, if this is actually the case.

Nope. I travel for 10-11 months per year and work a monstrous number of hours, which can range from 60-100 hours per week; at my company an 8 hour day is considered a day off.

If this makes me in the top 0.1% of millwrights then so be it, but my money comes from doing some very long hours and very hard work.

If you're too stupid to go to university then yes go do a trade. Moron.

That's because animation is fucking ARDUOUS work that most people can't stomach. I guess Canadians have found a way to turn off the feelings center of the brain so they can do mind-numbing work hours a day for little pay.

there
T͟Her/
adverb
adverb: there; existential there: there

in, at, or to that place or position.
"we went on to Paris and stayed there eleven days"

Try harder next time.

The root is either, then 7018. All the older guys say to do it in 6010, all the young rockstars say to do the TIG root. Personal preference.

Laconic.

>Get me on bro
What skills do you have? Can you weld, do industrial mechanics, or something else we need?

>rig for and signal cranes correctly

are you fucking kidding me? you poors actually consider this a "skill?"

Journeyman tradesman are almost a dead breed that's why

>I just work shutdowns, never new construction to be honest. Theres enough work.

Basically this. There is plenty of work doing this, but there are too few men who are able to do the work.

lol i used to work for carpenter and i remember watching the one of them count there money and the guy made $3000 a month. mind you there's no overtime and we worked 10 hour days and drove 2 hours to work and back. that's $10 an hour in the hot blazing texas sun. shit money and only the contractors make good money.

Hahahaha, young rockstars. "YOU SEE THAT TIG WELDPORN BRO!?!?!"

>But I ain't asking nobody for nothin'
Fuckin bull shit stoners are always
>Hey man got a 20 so i can go pick up some more weed?
>Got any weed bro? Been 15 minutes since my last hit

Canadians just adopted flash and use simple methods to produce decent results but it really sucked all of the fucking life out of the end result in that everything looks the same.

Serioulsy this saturday just sit down and watch some cartoon network and notice how all the shows look the god damned same.

Those 80s CB series bikes sure were pretty.

Should of stuck to being a hackwright/shoemaker maybe you could of took claim for another millwright's work that you could of been working with.

Oh I was assuming you were talking about 3D animation, because that shit is fucking mind-melting. Hours upon hours of manipulating joints...kill me now

basically because our educational system is geared towards producing university students, and our culture is focused on the idea that doctors, lawyers and IT personell are rich.

well, such a system produced too many chiefs and not enough Indians...

I am thinking about going for a journeyman lineman or traffic apprenticeship program.

The military is already infested with SJW, niggers, and under-qualified personnel looking for a free ride so it's probably out of the question.

Any tips from any lineman or apprentices?

even chem engineers took a hit recently with how shit oil has been so you are pretty forced into manufacturing industries which are garbage

t. chem engineer who went back for masters after doing pharmaceutical manufacturing for a few years

Hey OP I'm trying to get into a lineman apprenticeship.

Can you give me some tips for the interview? Or know any good sources on youtube or books where I can learn some basic electricity/industry electricity?