/etch/ - etymology & special characters

Thread for the discussion of word evolution and special characters (non-asian)
Invited: everyone

>slavs not using slovo

HERESY

we use both paraula and mot

'slovo' means 'letter' (as in written character) in south slavic languages, my uneducated friend

>southern ''''''''''''slavs''''''''''''''''''''

TURAN WHEN??

This

what's with the hostility, františek?

inferiority complex over South Slavs being giants while the rest of them are manlets

>SLOVEN
>not using SLOVO for word

you are subhumans and not slavs, probably turks aswell

>Albanians
>Lithuanians
Why?

That's it let it all out , consider this group therapy, i am here for you

Word of the day: Castle

Latin "Castrum" evolved into late latin "castellum", a small roman fort used as watchtower or for signals.

Castrum went on to be "castro" in Spanish, a small iron age fortification, usually a circle-shaped celtic village with stone walls.

Castellum > old spanish "Castiello" > Castillo
plural of Castellum was "Castella" (Castles), that could be were the name of "Castilla" (land of castles) came from.

The english word "castle" simply comes from old english "castel" wich was also used in many other areas throughout europe and also comes from "Castellum"

>discussion of word evolution and special characters
fuck off with your nerd shit

Tell me about the emerald isles, what do you do for fun besides get drunk ?

In Dutch it's

kasteel

this high iq area pls go away

Anyone else have letters on their alphabet that don't really belong in their language
In Spanish we have "w" exclusively for foreign words, its not really a Spanish letter whatsoever.
>what do you do for fun
visit museums and stuff...

its not vorba its CUVANT. ffs

>linna
>from Proto-Finnic *litna
interesting maybe it's related to lintu which means bird since birds nests are encircling fortresses and also birds play a major role in finnic paganism

>fueddu
>mot
These don't seem to be related to "parola" to be quite honest with you familia

It comes from muttum, the point being that it comes from Latin and not from some snownigger or steppenigger language

we use "paraula" in Gallura as well

SHIT MAP

it is Parole in French
And nobody speak Gayrman or Gaylt in France

But there are Sorbians speakers in Gayrmani and i feel deeply offended when you ignore their dialct

Gayrmans need to die

also mote means nickname in spanish

>'slovo' means 'letter' (as in written character) in south slavic languages, my uneducated friend

In Slovene, a symbol of the alphabet is called črka. Slovó only means goodbye, farewell (to say goodbye, take your leave - vzeti slovo).

parol' means password in russian

Interesting. In America the word 'parole' means freedom for the black man.

here, parola means slogan

parole in that sense probably comes from the way "parole" can be used to say "promise" in french, as in, the guy detained promises to behave when hes freed or something ?
in spanish you can say "te doy mi palabra" (I give you my word - i promise / assure you)

Don't you also call peanuts by a word related to arachide?

I was meming but yes that's what it means.

ORIGIN
late 15th century: from Old French, literally ‘word’, also ‘formal promise’, from ecclesiastical Latin parabola ‘speech’; compare with parol.

Yes: arákhis (kh like h in hola)

Irredentism is mental illness
France will pay for the centuries of cultural genocide against the Bretons and the Occitans, among many others

>implying Flemish people don't exist
>tfw you're Flemish from Bruges
>tfw you feel offended

>France will pay for the centuries of cultural genocide against the Bretons and the Occitans, among many others

Nope they're our bitches and they will just bow down to their French masters

No such thing

it means "word" but it's used here archaically and poetically, not in everyday speech