Falkland Island War

The Falklands War
Was it justified?
Should they be independent?
Was the war a waste of lives?
Should the British recreate their colonial/imperialist ways?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories
falklands.gov.fk/
falklands.gov.fk/our-people/our-history/
youtube.com/watch?v=GjCoNMv6kvI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It belongs to the Uk. Who gives a fuck unless you're a but lasted argie

I am glad the UK won. It's the last time they did something with an un-cucked attitude, but does it not seem like an utter waste?

The Falkland islanders are culturally and ethnically British, and have their right to self determination like everybody else. They have their own government, elections and industry; the UK just represents their international affairs and is responsible for their defence. We do not "own them."

We have an obligation to defend them, and we shall. If the fucking Argentinian swine wants to try and take them again, we will put them down again. Every time.

>oil
>utter waste

Fellow burger look in the mirror

It was unjustified. Argentina has no legitimate claim to them
No, because they voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining a British territory
No, Argentinian lives are worth less than dirt.
Yes, the rest of the world is culturally inferior to us and should be uplifted in exchange for economic benefits to our nation.

Ok, but what do they offer to you? Is it basically just a symbol or does it have a use to the British?

Slide thread

I understand now you mean a waste of British lives.

The answer is no, it is the duty of the British armed forces to fight and potentially give their lives to protect their queen, their country and its people from foreign invaders, which is what they did.

Not a slide thread, I legit wanted to have a discussion on this war. I support Trump and have been here for 2 years now. I even have the Flag-extender mod for Sup Forums and Sup Forums.

> pic related

>2 years

Stop making dumb threads then

>Should they be independent?
They are
>Was the war a waste of lives?
Ask the Argentinians who left over 30,000 landmines there; the islands only have 2,000 inhabitants by the way.

It's a British Overseas Territory; are you that dumb to think we don't have regional interests in South America? We use it for military bases mainly. Besides like I said, we have strong ties to the Falkland Islanders and we have an obligation to defend them.

We don't just have Argentina as a BOT; check the link.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories

>>pic related
Alright piss off then.

Weren't the islands uninhabited when the British landed? That would make the an offshoot of the British people the truly native people of those islands. Very strange how Argentina would think they have any claim on the islands.

It's a territory inhabited by British people. They don't offer us anything, they are us. It's like asking why America fought the Japanese after they attacked Hawaii instead of just giving up and handing it over.

I see your point, I wasn't aware that Brits actually cared about the place.. I thought it would be similar to American's attitude of owning Samoa.

Alright here's their own website. Curious Americans please just read it instead of making inflammatory threads all the time.

falklands.gov.fk/

From the site.
falklands.gov.fk/our-people/our-history/

The Falkland Islands had no indigenous population prior to their settlement by our ancestors– the Islands were entirely unoccupied. First claimed by Britain in 1765, the British, French and Spanish periodically had garrisons in the Islands until 1811, when all the garrisons were withdrawn. Subsequently, British and American ships frequently visited the islands.

On 6th October 1832, an Argentine military garrison landed in an attempt to establish Argentine sovereignty over the Falkland Islands, disregarding the British claim of 67 years prior. Less than 3 months later, on 2nd January 1833, the Royal Navy evicted the Argentine military garrison with no loss of life. The civilian population in the Islands, who had sought permission from Britain to live there, were invited to stay. All but two of them, with their partners, did so. A year later, a small, permanent British administration was established. With an increasing population, in 1845 Stanley was founded, and remains our Capital to this day.

We enjoyed a peaceful existence until 1st April 1982, when an Argentine military force invaded our home. For 74 days we lived under foreign occupation, until our liberation by British forces on 14th June 1982. Nearly 1000 Falkland Islands, British and Argentine lives were lost as a result of this act of aggression.

Since 1982, our lives have been transformed following the establishment of commercial fisheries. Financially self-sufficient and almost entirely self-governing, we determine our own future and way of life.

Our community today has been formed through voluntary immigration and settlement over the course of nearly two hundred years. We are a diverse society, with people from over 60 nations having made the Islands their home. At out heart are those Falkland Islanders whose families have been in the Islands for nine generations.

Can someone please tell me why the Argentinians think they should own the islands? I'm really not understanding why they think this if they were first inhabited by the British.

Thank you

You should be worrying about that while the Feds are disarming us and stop acting like a shill, Alexandro

Also remember to sage these dipshits

And for anyone who thinks they're being "oppressed" by evil British rule;

>2013
>Referendum held in March, overseen by international observers. Falkland Islanders voted to determine their future, 99.8% of the electorate voted YES to maintaining current political status as a British Overseas Territory.

Argentine government is a piece of shit and wants the islands because of potential oil.
In 1982 they invaded to try and draw attention away from how badly their government was doing. Yes really.

Here's a vid.

youtube.com/watch?v=GjCoNMv6kvI

Could you tell the difference between them and Brits?

Yea , we had to perverse the 4000 sheeps on the island for Wales.

>both islands uninhabited
>French settle on the west island
>British settle on the east island
>Spanish complain to pope about French settlers too close to them
>Pope has the west Island handed over to Spain
>Spanish decide to kick out their British neighbours, but fail
>Some upstarts in North America start a war and the island is left with little to no permanent residents
>British still claims sovereignty and sailors and fishermen still operate out of the area
>Spain moves in and destroys the British settlement while it's undefended
>Spain controls both islands for a couple of decades but has to abandon them when they go to war with France and their colonies start wars for independence
>An American pirate later claimed them in the name of the United Provinces (precursor to Argentina) but left after six months
>UP government grants the East Island to some wealthy guy in the hopes he builds a colony
>British consulate is offended by this as they still claim sovereignty over this island
>Colony owner captures American boats who are catching seals in his waters
>America sends the USS Lexington to reclaim their stolen property and slap the colonists around
>around the same time the British return to the island and dismantle the Argentine colony, setting up their own permanent settlement
>the British remain in control of the islands from 1833 up until April 1982, and then from June 1982 up to the present day.