Did they know Anakin was Darth Vader...

Did they know Anakin was Darth Vader? When Beru says Luke has too much of his father in him Owen says he's afraid of that, implying he knows of Anakin's dark nature, but this could simply be because of what happened in AotC with Anakin killing an entire village of sand people out of rage, but then again perhaps that detail was not revealed to them, only to Padme. Maybe Obi-Wan told them what Anakin had become when he gave Luke to them? I think that is the most likely option.

During the filming of New Hope the idea of Vader being Luke's father was not yet conceived. Although Vader killed him, both the way Obi-wan remembers him somewhat sadly and Owen and Beru talk about him seems like he was at least very reckless.

You're reading too much into it.
He doesn't want Luke to be like his father because that leads into Luke becoming a Jedi, and he knows what happened to the Jedi, not necessarily that Anakin was personally responsible for the downfall of the Jedi.

When Beru and Padme were left alone, do you think they fucked? I do.

This.
Not everyone viewed the Jedi as heroes.

During the filming of New Hope the idea of Vader being Luke's father was not yet conceived

I actually doubt this very much. A lot of things had not been thought of yet but I believe Lucas had that twist in mind from the beginning.

He didn't.
It wasn't even Lucas' idea.

Except we know 100% for a fact it wasn't decided till production of Empire was already rolling.

Who's idea was it? I know Lucas claims to have written the rough drafts of the entire story (the OT) before he even started making the first one.

Source?

First I ever heard this was even in debate

>but muh production logs

Fact is that the series narrative dictates that yes they did know.

Lucas didn't plan any sequels
Despite the lies he always says
Vader wasn't meant to be his father

Owen had all reasons to hate the Tusken. They crippled Cliegg and murdered Shmi who was like a mother to him for five years.

I think Owen's angry, fretful babble about Anakin implies a much more interesting story than the one that survived.

Lucas hired screenwriter Leigh Brackett to write a screenplay based on his story treatment. Brackett finished the first draft on February 23, 1978, but she died soon afterwards. According to Lucas, he did not like the direction in which her screenplay went. Without a writer to fix it, he was forced to write the second draft himself throughout March.[2] Major plot changes were made compared to the first draft and the storyline that is in the film was formed in this draft. One of the most notable changes was making Vader Luke's father[2]. When Lawrence Kasdan finished writing the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark he was hired to rewrite and improve Lucas' draft. He wrote a few more drafts before the script conference was held in November between George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Irvin Kershner and Gary Kurtz. After some additional input, the shooting script was finally formed. Minor changes to dialogues came from Kershner and actors throughout the filming and were mostly approved by Lucas.[2]

>lucas didnt plan any sequels?
Did he not have any planned story after A New Hope? Or did he just not plan a sequel with the studio at the time because it was a nightmare to make?
A New Hope leaves a couple of important things unfinished.

In the original script for The Star Wars, "Darth Vader" was just the name of one of the many generic generals who sat around the table, he had one line of dialogue and didn't do anything even remotely important.

I really want OPs who post dumbshit questions like this to jump through a noose.

he had zero faith in Star Wars
he literally went on a holiday on the opening night

That literally says Lucas came up with Vader being Lukes dad

Original script =/= the shooting script

Who fucking cares =/= hackneyed fantasy movies for children

Wow calm down

But he wasn't a rage driven psychopath either.

So making Vader Luke's father was a change made by Lucas to the screenplay for ESB after ANH had been released. I wonder what Lucas' original draft of the trilogy looked like.

Wew lad

>That literally says Lucas came up with Vader being Lukes dad
I thought the point was this wasn't determined until ESB
I'm not personally fussed over who came up with the idea, but it must be noted at no time in making ANH was Vader considered to be Luke's dad.

>I wonder what Lucas' original draft of the trilogy looked like.
There's three different drafts for ANH alone. They're all wildly different from each other. They're practically completely alien from what you understand as "Star Wars". Lucas literally made everything up as he went along and couldn't even remember what he'd done before so things changed constantly.

Please be calm.

He put an awful lot of effort into it though. He may not have had faith that it was going to make money, but he cared about it.

Calm down.

I know at one stage the bartender of the Mos Eisley Cantina was called Mace Windu

>waaah stop shitting on my blatant fanboyism and defending poorly written movies

user, there is no need to be this upset.

lukes a restless teen that wants to leave home.

most young people dont want to spend their life as a redneck on a shit farm.

everyone freak out

Nice projecting.
>i-if i call him upset that will smokescreen my shitty arguments in defense of bad filmwriters

The brutal truth is that the Lars' would have been fucked without Luke, there's no way they could keep the farm going without him,

>This character was a different character in the original script, a script not even used for shooting the film
>therefore the movie is badly written
On a scale of 1-10, how bad did George Lucas destroy your childhood with the prequels that you still can't let go?

So, Beru knew who Vader was and Obi wan had footage of him slaying younglings. Why didn't they release that footage as soon as it was found?
I mean that must look very bad for the emperor. Plus, you are more likely to find people fighting for your cause when your government sanctions child murdering.

Honestly I feel sorry for you at this point.

technically that's BDH on the left there

Beru and Owen were not part of the rebellion, nor did they have any inclination to join the rebellion.
So they have no cause to find people to fight for.
>Beru knew who Vader was
She didn't.

And releasing the footage would be an excellent idea.
>Sir, there's leaked footage on the Sithtube of Anakin Skywalker slaying Jedi younglings
>Find out where the signal originated
>Tatooine, sir
>Admiral, I know what I want for Christmas. A planet sized glass bauble.
>Yes, sir.

Why did they raise Luke as "aunt" & "uncle", when over the course of 19 years, they were his effective mother & father?

Saying that, why was there no motherly & fatherly connection?, instead Luke treats them lke he's just spending summer with them, instead of his ENTIRE LIFE.

Debate this.

What if Obi wan released the footage as soon as he found it? Maybe the senate would have given it some thought before they made Sheev their supreme ruler.

They were all autistic

Indeed.

>Why didn't they release that footage as soon as it was found?
Easy enough to deny it as a fake, or even twist things and say it shows the Jedi on a rampage before the Clones stopped them

The Jedi, which the younglings were part of, tried to overthrow the Chancellor.
They could claim Anakin was about to rightfully arrest them and had to kill them in self defence since even younglings were dangerous fighters.

There was no point in lying to him about who they were.

>why was there no motherly and fatherly connection?

Teenagers avoid being loving toward their parental figures most of the time and we only saw Luke interact with them for like 5 minutes.

>But he wasn't a rage driven psychopath either.

It's not what I had in mind. I was thinking more of Owen and Anakin having a lot of contact which inevitably resulted in bitter recrimatory arguments, that sort of shit.

they probably due just for bs truth sake.
calling a family friend uncle/aunt as a kid isnt that crazy.

CALM DOWN FUCKER ARHG CALM