Armond White's best of 2016

Being 17 André Téchiné

The President Mohsen Makhmalbaf

Sunset Song Terence Davies

Wiener-Dog Todd Solondz

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Zack Snyder

>The decline of criticism is the big news this year. As the Mainstream Media (MSM) befouls itself, fewer and fewer serious film critics are being supported and the public just doesn’t seem to care. The MSM is taken over by cronyism and consumerism. There is no more diversity among cinephiles. Here’s the news that MSM doesn’t report: popular cinema and TV are a wasteland. This era should be a new golden age for art movies. Téchiné, Makhmalbaf, Davies and Solondz are leading the way; Zack Snyder is the only maker of ‘popular’ films who has a vision and sensibility that stirs great feeling and profound thought. The festival circuit and MSM ‘criticism’ promote film culture’s decline. God help us all.
source: bfi.org.uk/best-films-2016?utm_content=buffer8205e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#tonierdmann

Why is he so S M U G bros

>I do think it is fair to say that Roger Ebert destroyed film criticism. Because of the wide and far reach of television, he became an example of what a film critic does for too many people. And what he did simply was not criticism. It was simply blather. And it was a kind of purposefully dishonest enthusiasm for product, not real criticism at all…I think he does NOT have the training. I think he simply had the position. I think he does NOT have the training. I’VE got the training. And frankly, I don’t care how that sounds, but the fact is, I’ve got the training. I’m a pedigreed film critic. I’ve studied it. I know it. And I know many other people who’ve studied it as well, studied it seriously. Ebert just simply happened to have the job. And he’s had the job for a long time. He does not have the foundation. He simply got the job. And if you’ve ever seen any of his shows, and ever watched his shows on at least a two-week basis, then you surely saw how he would review, let’s say, eight movies a week and every week liked probably six of them. And that is just simply inherently dishonest. That’s what’s called being a shill. And it’s a tragic thing that that became the example of what a film critic does for too many people. Often he wasn’t practicing criticism at all. Often he would point out gaffes or mistakes in continuity. That’s not criticism. That’s really a pea-brained kind of fan gibberish.

>then you surely saw how he would review, let’s say, eight movies a week and every week liked probably six of them. And that is just simply inherently dishonest. That’s what’s called being a shill. And it’s a tragic thing that that became the example of what a film critic does for too many people. Often he wasn’t practicing criticism at all. Often he would point out gaffes or mistakes in continuity. That’s not criticism. That’s really a pea-brained kind of fan gibberish.
This is brutal but also completely true.

A journalist is either a whore or unemployed.

What did he mean by this?

>And what he did simply was not criticism. It was simply blather.

Oh, the ironing.

I'll say this for Ebert. At least he's made a film in his life. More than you can say for most critics, including Mr. Contrary.

>At least he's made a film in his life
It was pretty bad. Critics are in general poor filmmakers.

>In this age of petty Marvels

BTFO

That's because the reality is they don't know what they're talking about. A critic is either a failed filmmaker or a failed journalist. No one goes to college to review movies.

What I'm saying is, even just the once, Ebert had the stones to put his money where his mouth is.

I don't know who this is but I can tell you he's a fucking idiot. If you watch any Snyder film and are fooled into thinking he has a "vision" beyond directing feature films as if they're music videos you're falling for his pretentions.

>pretentions
There is that magic word again. Congratulations!

>Zack Snyder is the only maker of ‘popular’ films who has a vision and sensibility that stirs great feeling and profound thought

Objective truth, even if his vision sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

>I don't know who this
That's because you're a newfag fucking shit probably here only over the Christmas to shilly Star Wars.

Welcome to Sup Forums, enjoy your holiday vacation.

>Armond White
>Black

>I don't know who this is

Nobody, just the last honest critic

I come on this board once or twice a year because the quality of posting here is absolutely abysmal. That's not to say I don't know anything about film, if you believe that you're no better than faggots on reddit who take each others karma points seriously or whatever.

Sorry I don't know who this smug asshole is. He's praising BvS though, so he can't be very good at his job. Is he one of those critics who values symbolism over a coherent narrative? Because even if you boil BvS down to nothing but its visual components it's still a hot fucking mess. I just can't see how anyone can honestly believe it's a good movie.

I'll never trust a nigger

Fuck off reddit.

why is he so based bros?

>I come on this board once or twice a year
Just enough to shill whatever Star Wars shit is playing. You've already made a fool of yourself. Cease posting.

Truthfully if one knows something about film they won't come here in the first place.

>That's not to say I don't know anything about film
>Because even if you boil BvS down to nothing but its visual components it's still a hot fucking mess

Stop contradicting yourself

it's shot like a fucking music video.

I'm LMAOing at your lives and how much you value this terrible board.

Then leave

>Critics are in general poor filmmakers
what is Nouvelle Vague

>>That’s what’s called being a shill.

Lol BTFO.

And he is right about critics pointing out gaffes in continuity. Completly shallow bullshit.
Is sort of like the superficial criticism you would expect from autistics nerds like the nostalgia critic, not profesional film critics.

I've literally seen reviews saying "lol why doesn't this character do whatever instead?", the only thing missing a picture of Frodo looking dumbfounded. I've seen it written in actual paper in an actual magazine. He's 100% right in that the state of the critic industry is at its lowest. I'm pretty sure there is collusion between studios and critics too

Meh, Sup Forums likes Armond White only because he's a contrarian.

Don't be fooled.

His critiques barely offer anything insightful about movie making, he's only interested in "muh political America" and he has an incredibly shit taste.

sorry mate but if you can't even keep basic continuity straight your movie has shit editing, that is a legitimate criticism whether you like it or not.

B A S E D

Uhh, you are not allowed to bring dubs.

The King of Sup Forums has spoken.

Reddit.