Daily Japanese Thread - DJT # 1884

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese, things you like/hate about the language, goals, etc.

Zen Buddhist edition

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pso2.jp/players/news/20059/
sakubi.neocities.org/
djtguide.neocities.org/resource guide.html#Kanji
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_radicals_by_stroke_count
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

新スレありがとうね

last thread died so asking for /djt/s help again

When will the japs wake up and realize how silly kanji is and start using romaji

>口を利き出した (くちをききだした)
Translated text:
>"began to speak again"
I can't find such a translation for 利き出した or to figure out the sense of 利 there.
Any knowledge or ideas?

口を利く

Thank you, that was stupid of me.

sorry m8 I think most of us can't produce for shit

How old are you? How long have you been studying Japanese? What are your goals?

two years
fluently reading eroge and manga and watching anime without subs

6 years, but effectively maybe more like 3
being semi-fluent in the next few years

Several months into anki and reading anything I can on the side.
I wish to play games in their original language and to read sad panda of course.

Anime first contact 6 years ago, gradually familiarizing since
shitposts pass as native in jap site

>2000 deep in 6k
>still haven't learned many useful words
Explain yourselves, DJT.

Come to /jp/ where people actually care about the tools they recommend to people and core 2k/6k is constantly mocked.

Does the Anki textbox not recognize Japanese characters? I'm trying to set up typing in the answers and so far only the English text shows up.

Does he not know English or Russian? If you don't know Japanese, why wouldn't you just congratulate him in a language you know?

>decide to reinstall PSO2
>see this

pso2.jp/players/news/20059/
Rest in peace

I know kana, a lot of Chinese simplified characters (most are the same) and some basics. What book do I start with? I tried clozemaster and it's fine but I feel it's going to nowhere since too advanced at this stage and I need some elementary grammar

I just have a lot of free time now and I think I get study Japanese for a few hours a day now

sakubi.neocities.org/

Dont they use the same guide

Keep on truckin', user. By the time you hit 6k you'll be surprised how easy reading is. The first 2k in the 6k deck are too seemingly random to get a grasp on the direction the deck is taking you in.

Is Sakubi superior to Tae Kim? Is it worth switching? Or should I read them both?

What do they recommend?
I hope youre right :\

>I hope youre right :\

I will say one thing: it's easier if you read while doing the Core deck. Just read. Don't worry about adding cards. Do core, read.

Do that until you finish the deck. As you go along you'll see all of those words naturally.

And don't worry about leech cards. You'll get tons of them until you experience them in the wild.

Why are those written in katakana? I only met those words written in hiragana?

Katakana can be used to write words that are normally written in kanji.

>finished 2k
>go through 4 volumes of よつばと!
>get annoyed with how much work adding to my mining deck from a manga is
>decide to try a light novel from the DJT library to use with rikaisama
>"let's try haruhi, I enjoyed that"
>mfw 11 mined words in the first two sentences

>finished 2k
how much time did it take you?

Doesn't yotsuba have an anki deck for it already?

About 3 months at 20 new cards a day
Yes, but only for the first two volumes

What happens if I study 50 cards a day?

Not him, but if you study 50 cards a day you study 50 cards a day. I've heard it not to be recommended because people get burnt out and avoid their reviews or get swamped by them, but it's possible to do it.

>Come to /jp/
a true /jp/sie would never say this

D-don't come to /jp/ p-please

>but it's possible to do it.
That's what I wanted to hear.

As I said I know a lot of simplified Chinese characters. I studied Chinese at the university and just got back from China after one year. That's the part of my plan to first learn Chinese and then Japanese. I hope the order would help. I noticed tones of characters and their meanings are the same, so for the most part I only need to learn how to speak. I can get a grasp of the Japanese texts, like the meaning

I'm not an advanced student, or even yet an intermediate student I would say. I took three semesters of college classes but decided this summer I want to take my studies much more seriously and that's when I began using DJT as a resource again.

I'm not sure how many characters you know. In general it's recommended to learn the 常用漢字 list of 2136 characters for basic literacy. That is my current goal and I am working towards it using the Kanji Learner's Course (in the guide here: djtguide.neocities.org/resource guide.html#Kanji ). As far as building a grammar foundation, Tae Kim (also in the guide) is the best resource. I think people then usually move on to using a Dictionary of Japanese Grammar but I have not yet reached that point. But yeah you can do 50 and if you have the prior character knowledge and lots of exposure to japanese from media like anime and movies, then that makes it easier.

I'm understand correctly?
得てして我らは自分というものを見失いがちなもの
Often we tend to lose ourselves

>常用漢字
>if you have the prior character knowledge
常用漢字 in Chinese would be written 常用汉字, but it would be written exactly the same with traditional characters, which I had to study how to read, I just can't write most of them, since it wasn't required at the university

>start a mining deck
>no longer get to hear the voices from core
There's a hole where my heart used to be.

So I guess it has a great help. I also have a lot of time now. I'm preparing flashcards and starting from tomorrow. 50 cards a day. Also study grammar with Tae Kim. Do you think I can skip buying any manual and just start working with texts after that?

So what is actually better for maintaining proper stats on Anki? Pressing "Again" on new cards or pressing anything else on new cards? I believe DJT never actually solved this conundrum.

installing true retention

>Do you think I can skip buying any manual and just start working with texts after that?
I'm not sure what you mean. You don't have to buy anything as all resources are online. Have you read the guide? That might answer more of your questions.

I meant concerning pressing again on new cards or not.

true retention solves that problem

Can someone help me with the third panel, I have no idea what it means. My guess would something like this

>What, So this onee-san got worked up over nothing there

>Going from Yotsubato to Haruhi
Just what did you expect? That's like going to hard mode after you failed normal

What does 言う mean in this sentence? I can't understand meaning of this sentence
まあ近頃偽物に闊歩される私の言うことではありませんが...ククク

And often when there are tons of hiragana already in a sentence, they'll write a word in katakana just to make it easier to read.

舌の上で転がされる = 言葉で騙されて行動させられる
かな…
作者の造語かも

Katakana can also be used as a means of showing emphasis in a sentence.

So it's more "They completely tricked this onee-san", right?

1) Can 愛しい be used to mean "I love/like" in the same way 好き can be used to mean "I love" (even though both are adjectives)?

2) If yes, is the direct object of the love marked by が when using 愛しい just as it is for 好き, or is it the reverse situation and が marks the subject?

お前 の お母さん が おれ の おちんちん を カチカチ に した。 彼女 は ビッチ なんだ。

19, Learning it for about one to two years. I wanna watch anime and play vidya at the same time without dub. Also wanna move to japan

>Also wanna move to japan
permanently? You already live in a scandinavian utopia my dude

28, off and on since I was 19. I can read a good 30% of sentences without Rikai. Terrible I know, but the first 5 years at least were spent on books and free websites.

I'd say in the last 2 years I learned more Japanese being here in this thread (and on Sup Forums's thread before this) than I did before that.

That being said, I work 60 hours/week and I'm struggling to keep up with it. But I still learn.

>私の言うことではありません

not a thing for me to say (not something I should say)

>1) Can 愛しい be used to mean "I love/like" in the same way 好き can be used to mean "I love" (even though both are adjectives)?
I dont think so

pretty much

What steps do you use on your cards in Anki?

Thank

>偽物に闊歩される

Anyone want to explain the passive here?

Press again if you didn't know it. If you could guess despite it being new, press good. Only adds a small few-minutes step.

This may suffice.

前日、日本語専門に優れている大学への合格、おめでとうございます。
やはり努力や計画性を生かしたでしょう。あなた自身が成功させたに違いありません。
これからも頑張ってください。

It's not perfect, but it should get the point across.

Yep, that's right.

No, it's more like saying something is precious/beloved to you.

(私は)彼女が愛しい = She is precious (to me).

It's for show politeness
In original sentence 申すことではありませんが
Too polite

mind posting your kanji grid for that vocab?
wondering how greatly it differs to plain old core6k kanji
pic related is from my own vocab
>all that red

I hit good on new cards then again the next time they show up if I can't recall it
with the default deck settings those same cards will show up the next day as learning cards all the same, so it doesn't really matter either way

three days
Just building my vocab and grammar.

I'm sure this is covered in the guide but whats a good resource for studying radicals for kanji?

2 months
watch anime without subs and talk with nipponjins

>I'm sure this is covered in the guide
it is, in the guide resource list

Too old, too long, and I've lost sight of any goals at this point. I've achieved the major ones I've set for myself over the years. Now, I'm just coasting - learning if the opportunity arises.

3 semesters of college plus self study, so about 1 year.
Be able to read untranslated material, speak and keep up in conversation with native Japanese.

I have a question about radicals. I know there are 214 of them but are variants of radicals included in 214 or are they excluded from the count ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_radicals_by_stroke_count

18 months.
Proficiency and independence within another 18 months. Maybe fluence 2 years after that.

Also, at least 3000 kanji and all counters learned in 2017.

Turning 25 in a few weeks
2.5 years
For fun at this point, I just enjoy, I passed all of my original goals I thought I would never get close to and I am currently trying to construct new and better ones than I originally had.

>all counters
Does that include irregular readings as well?

If you mean the normal ones like after 1, 3, 8, etc, yes. If you mean rare readings or something like that, I'm not sure. Haven't looked into them yet in detail.

Can anyone who has gone through and done a course to learn 2-3k kanji like RTK or KLC share how it's benefitted them and improved their studies? I'm currently 200 kanji into KLC at a pace of about 20 a day, and I'm already feeling like I'm changing the way I think about and remember kanji visually and in compounds.

Right now I'm just focusing on the 20 I do a day, and it isn't horrible but I can't say it's the most appealing way to study. It would be nice to hear any positives about the payoff from others who have walked this path.

Oh, this is a combined core and mine deck. First 3k of core, 2100 (learned) mined cards so far.

This is just the mined portion of the deck. 2100 words, 1524 kanji.

Sorry if this is a simple question, but why does he say 目が回る here and not 目が回っている? He's clearly in process of being dizzy and feeling dizzy/faint is a continuing action, not a momentary 1-time thing.

Maybe it's like "I'll get dizzy..." as in even though he's a bit dizzy/shook right there, he'll get even *more* dizzy if this continues?

Progressive is a bad understanding of ている. It's about a progressing or remaining state. Here he's in the process of 目が回る becoming objectively less true on a moment to moment basis so 目が回る is appropriate.

If it's still changing how you think it's doing good. The question is whether it continues to be effective for you once it stops changing how you think. That's up to you.

How far were you into before this? How many kanji/vocabulary could you read (even if you didn't master them)?

I think I'll only KKLC after I'm done learning 3000 kanji through vocabulary.

There is literally zero point in mining that early, it's an extreme waste of time. The earliest anyone should start mining is after completing 6K, and even then I'd recommend just finishing 10K first.

>てなら

I understand なら and the meaning of sentence but why is just て? How is this possible? What does it mean? It's the first time I've seen this and can't find it anywhere else.

Why not 抱えるなら?

Punz R Funz

What is everybody reading at the moment?

>覚醒状態を解除。
How is this actually defined? Release of wakefulness?

That's some good advice. I'll definitely keep in account how I feel as I progress and see how much I need the resource from there.

I was less than that... maybe 1k+ vocab and able to read 3-600 compounds with kanji? I'm not really sure as I just stepped up my studies after a while of going through the motions. What are your reasons for choosing to wait until you have that many words under your belt? If you read the intro to the book I think it makes a good case for why working through the 2300 kanji presented builds a good basis for literacy. 200 words in and I've already noticed a difference in my reading and how I view unfamiliar kanji. That's why I'm focusing on it a lot now to get through this somewhat frustrating part of learning that will, hopefully, greatly facilitate vocab acquisition in the future.

The problem is I've already learned over 11k vocab words and superficially know/recognize over 2300 kanji, so I was thinking about learning everything I need to learn (3k kanji for good measure) and only then focus on individual kanji study, which will serve more for solidifying my knowledge.

reads like removing a status/buff in a video game, like removing a character/enemy from an overdrive state

Ah ok I see. That seems like a good place to be at, though! If you already recognize that many kanji you will blast through the course in no time if you decide to do it. Even a beginner like me is finding it pretty easy to work with. A bit tedious because it's not super interesting to study character mnemonics for extended periods of time, but I am not really having trouble with remembering any kanji as I progress and use the anki deck. Honestly I don't think it matters when you start, if you want to you could start now and just do like 5 a day until you decide to go at it in full

>these retention rates

What is Japanese grammar pattern in DOJT means? I thought ーめく was normal grammar but instead I found it in grammar pattern.