Do Germans and Dutch understand each other's languages like a native Spanish speaker mildly understands Portuguese or...

Do Germans and Dutch understand each other's languages like a native Spanish speaker mildly understands Portuguese or Italian?

Other urls found in this thread:

af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suid-Afrika
youtube.com/watch?v=jzxxW_2EmCE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

Not really, but you have an idea of it when you read it.

Just like Spanish/Portuguese, for te most part.

We can read each other at about 90%, but we can understand spoken Spanish a lot better than they can understand spoken Portuguese.

Germans use purer Germanic words, whereas we have more influence from Latin. But we understand each other, although we will never admit it. That would make Dutch as seperate existing language controversial.

I can't understand a fucking thing of any other language besides a word or two of French or German

Dutch sounds dumb and makes my ears bleed

Dutch sounds cute.

Dutch always sounds like a mix of German and English with a Frisian accent or something to me.
And don't worry, if you speak it it really isn't fully understandable, we won't question it's status as a language.

Fun fact: In old German maps (up to ~ WW1) Dutch is still often labeled a German dialect

this desu

What about Afrikaans?

How? Spanish shares a fuckload of similar words with English.

I can understand Dutch with my little knowledge of German so I think all the Germans here who say they don't understand Dutch are not really honest.

>Dutch always sounds like a mix of German and English
This

It sounds like a really thick dialect while being drunk. It's easier to understand if you speak German, English and Low-German, but then there are stll words that don't make any sense.

>No
>Not really

I can read Dutch wiki articles without a problem, listening to them is a different story

Never tried, got any articles or a vid or something?

I sometimes read in the nederdraad and kinda know what it's about. Some words are really different tho.
Where are you from?

>Never tried, got any articles or a vid or something?
Try this
af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suid-Afrika

I think you should understand it in written form

I can't understand any Spanish if i hear it

German also shares a shitton of similar words with English but you won't understand them unless you learn both language. Because difference in pronunciation is too big.

Yep, most of it without a problem.
Only read the stuff above the content table tho, if it gets more complicated it may get difficult.

>abit

>Where are you from?
>Based Bavaria

Oh, kek, I don't pay attention to names.

And here's a video from an Afrikaans soap opera: youtube.com/watch?v=jzxxW_2EmCE

Dutch and high german are quite different from each other, but German dialects close to the Dutch language already are really similar.

If I understand this map correctly it doesn't label Dutch as German dialect. Otherwise English and Swedish are German dialects on this map too.

They all belong to group "Germanen" and so does other German dialects.

Dutch understand German better than Germans understand Dutch.
But it's not like we understand, we kind of get what someone means.

Afrikaans is Old Dutch mixed with English, it sounds funny and we can almost understand it.

I get only a few words, not more. The article the Russian posted was understandable though.

This. That's why I asked the German where he is from.

Also this. It's only Germanic, but Niederdeutsch and Dutch are more closely related.

English pronunciation is fucking dumb

i have not really a problem in understanding dutch, personally cannot speak or read it, but still i understand most of it to follow a conservation. reason could be that i live near the border to netherlands and visit it since i was a kid. also most dutchs can speak german with a heavy dialect.

*conversation

From a random written text that doesn't use too many professional/scientific/... terms I can probably get 90-95%, I do have a slight interest in linguistics though, and knowing about things like for example High German consonant shift helps somewhat.
Spoken form, less than 30% though