So my girlfriend really likes the Harry Potter series. I never bothered to watch any of them...

So my girlfriend really likes the Harry Potter series. I never bothered to watch any of them. Recently my girlfriend found this out and now she is having me watch them. I am about 3 movies in, and am actually enjoying them kind of. Hogwarts seems fucking cozy. What is Sup Forumss thoughts on this series?

nice impression of a normie

"seems fucking cozy"

They are boring

THE! DULLEST!

DULLEST
ULLESTD
LLESTDU
LESTDUL
ESTDULL
STDULLE
TDULLES
DULLEST

bland garbage for womenchildren and pedos

a-at least the books were good though

We consider it one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

nice blog
>>>/reddit/

they are fun family movies to start with, but lose their way a bit in later ones when they try to be a bit more mature and 'dark'

you will notice this yourself when they put a grey/green filter over everything so the movies are literally darker.

/thread

best series ever and it will get you laid

it only gets worse from here on out

Reminds me of that Parks and Rec scene
>I watched every single every single HP movie cause of you
>So?
>I hate Harry Potter!
>What are you talking about? You love Harry Potter. You've seen every single one.

Actually, we consider it one of the best franchises in the history of movie franchises throughout. Each episode followed the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been distinguishable from the others. Aside from the fantastic imagery, the series’ numerous consistencies have been its lack of plot holes and effective use of special effects, all to make magic magical, to make action seem captivating.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would be a work of art that meant a lot to everybody! Just incredible cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Lucas (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-prequel series in its refusal of annoying characters, boring dialogue and dull plot. We love to face that fact. Now, thankfully, we always can.

>a-and the books were good!
"Yes!"
The writing is intricate; the books were amazing. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote, instead, that the character "stretched his legs" or some other fantastic idiom.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by unique imagery and fresh metaphors that she has so many styles of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

god damn this meme is so fucking stupid it hurts, not only does the cinematography looks different in every single one it matches the material and the atmosphere. harry has a bad time when Voldemort returns and people start dying, rowling loved grimdark

youre basically complaining they arent all the same

this
you could spend how ever long reading Sup Forums and have more brain knowledge gained than ("watching") harry potters
and if you read it
oh boy you're going to become a real retard that thinks steven king is good

1-3: Great fun flicks
4-6: Directionless messes
7.1: Pure unadulterated kino
7.2: Lackluster final film but watchable

>Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>Sup Forums will sit here and bash the Harry Potter series then turn around and fellate series like LOTR and the original Star Wars

Come on now

>cozy settings are normie

Fuck off autist.

LOTR is objectively way better than Harry Potter
Star Wars a shit though

Get over yourplebself, kiddo. All 3 share a giant overlap

3 >>>>> 7.1 > 2 > 6 > 4 > 1 > 7.2 > 5

6 has direction if you love 7.1 like I do. And 5 still has more direction than 4 even with the studio cutting so much, its underrated

LOTR is objectively way more dull than Harry Potter.

Lotr is so overrated its retarded, once you see Jacksons directing for what it is you cant unsee it. Also reminder some anons are so triggered by people like harry potter fantasy they spend so much time damage controlling these threads to make it seem like people hate them

>chamber of secrets
>not far better than 1, 8 and 5
>order of the phoenix not being a badly developed snozefest

4 is better than 5 in that it's at least entertaining. 5 has awful character development, shit pacing, and like 2 memorable scenes. Most forgettable film in the whole franchise.

>Spielberg directing the series would be good

Is this a joke? Spielberg is a shit tier director.

Get a better girlfriend.
or actually get one ;^)

chamber of secrets i love but since it came out it has been ripped apart for its adaptation and direction on very basic things. its very equal to 1 which i also think is very equal to 8. its more of a preference. i didnt like 8 at first but on rewatch with all of them its better

5 is another story, the book had a lot of fat and i actually think it gets everything across that it needs to in order to succeed, its more personal with harry so idk how you say it doesnt have character development because when yates came around the trio. wish they kept the brain scene. i like the pacing and i think 4 is directed terribly the acting is effected. its fitting that the book which was the most drastic change (5) in tone is met which such hate, it is different for a reason. i think its underrated in that films 5-8 are better than books 5-7. 4 was not near the book and is only good because yes theres a lot going on but its only a underdog competition movie and they treat the wizard olympics like a death match

The entire thing is a joke. Rowling wanted Terry Gilliam to direct. They did get the cinematographer of Brazil though to do 2 and 4

I enjoy some Spielberg but he would have been terrible, let him do shit like munich

"No!"

when yates came around the trio had development finally* affected*

1-2
>Comfy tier
3-5
>Happening tier
6-8
>Edgy shit tier

>edgy shit tier
This just makes me sad that people think this is a critique. Wow dumbedore dies, hogwarts is ransacked, soul splitting and everyone undee the sun dying and working towards a climax is edgy? Its just what happened. Who says witchcraft cant be dark?

I can see not liking 8 but 6 and 7 were sweet

I never read the books, but I felt like many parts of 8 could have been done far better to wrap up the story and give it more of an epic appeal. Instead, the final battle with Voldemort is just basically the same as all the other books, and completely lame. One thing that Yates screwed up is his characterization of Voldemort, which basically reduces him to a "creepy villain" instead of a terrifying, psychopathic killer. The 5th movie hit the tone shift fine, but it's just such an empty space between 4 and 6 that could have pulled things together far better and actually developed the characters as adults better so that the 8th movie could have been more satisfying. 4 was not near the book, yes, but it was filled with spectacular scenes (albeit drowned out by rushed plot direction, and bad use of time) and probably has one of the best soundtracks of all of the movies.

6 was probably the most visually appealing movie, right next to the 3rd one. It was definitely better than 5.

I love doyles soundtrack for 4 but i think hbp had a great soundtrack for the film it was too. and williams of course

i still think 4 is the worst and that means that the entire series is really good maybe this makes you feel better. 8 had a lot to do and had to give all the characters their little moments but i thought it handled the climax very well actually

Make sure she never finds out about the moneymaking scheme called Fantastic Beasts, absolute waste of time and money.

And I think 6 and 7 developed the characters as much as it could desu thats why i like 7 its slower and allows the series and main characters to breathe, they seemed like they grew up as they progressed

6 looked great so did 7 imho it looked great with the atmosphere it was giving. of course 3 had amazing direction so visually it pops more than the others

>6 looked great
>imho
shit opinion no doubt. was life of pi great looking to your child like mind too? HAHA

Aren't you busy with your plebcore thread? No I didnt like Life of Pi

How sad it must be for you to be so angry you have to comment on two people discussing something they both like with XD HAHAHHA

Would you want there to be more movies in the same universe, with Harry and his children included, anything like that, or just an end to it all with this 8th one?

My first gf also really liked HP OP, my best advice for you would be to tell her to gtfo of my life.

I think theres room for a couple sequels that focus on the trio without their children. Its a nice dull circle moment to end the main series on, but its almost twenty years later you could do some movies that take place ten years later when harry is an auror and you wouldnt be restricted and could make a couple standlone adventures with the trio. I don't mind them doing things with his son at school in the future i guess but i didnt read cursed child and i still think it's plot is a bad idea, its basically its a wonderful life and is tailored to a play

Just because harry potter gets you laid doesnt mean every single girl who likes it is the same.

full circle*

>We

shut the fuck up

books are better
as the movies went on the source plots got more intricate and the movies were destined to be shameless imitations of the books
as a result the movies just assume you'll forgive the unexplained plot holes because you either read the books and know what they left out or are just a bandwagon shit who likes seeing faggots in robes talk to midgets

not to mention it stops being cozy or remotely cute by the third movie.

the first book is barely better than Artemis Fowl in terms of artistic prowess. Once she had a toehold in the world Harry Potter gets a lot better
you can buy that for a dollar

Have you seen the movies the 3rd one is the most cozy movie. Plus the OP literally said he had just seen the first 3, so he hasn't gotten to the un cozyness.

The movies are better you dont like that they cut shit thats 90% of the everyday happenings of the books and focused them. Film is inherently different and they were well done

Fucking pleb they are all max comfy. Hur hur why arent they they same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i forgot half the shit they omit but the last one i remember is how they don't explain how harry gets the two-way mirror, they don't explain how it works, which sets up the whole aberforth thing