Why do native english speakers learn other languages, what's the fucking point?

Why do native english speakers learn other languages, what's the fucking point?
Don't you realise how lucky you are?

English speakers don't learn other languages

They don't.
And you and I have very different ideas of what means being lucky.

I've heard that brits and canadians learn french and american learn spanish at school
What a fucking waste of time and money

French is normally taught in English schools but it is not given much importance at all.

fucking this

I don't need to change for other people, other people need to change for me.

Language education here is a joke. It starts late and can be dumped early. The quality is also awful for the most part.
I'm studying German as a private endeavour because I like the majority of the countries that speak the language, and knowing another language is good for your prospects no matter the case. Plus it's probably healthier for me than reading some shit manga all day instead.

we had to learn german and english in school.London speakers are so lucky :(

This may sound ironic or downright paradoxical but the truth is that being a native English speaker is the best starting point for any aspiring multilingual.

It's not a coincidence that many polyglot legends like Moses McCormick, Richard Simcott and Alexander Argüelles are English natives.

As a native English speaker, you already speak the world's lingua franca, so you have the utimate freedom to pick any language. You are not bound by economical pressures or another form of outside duress to conform during your language choices.

Additionally, you speak a language that is requested by pretty every speaker of any living language ever. You will never run into problems when searching for language partners like many speakers of more obscure languages run into when looking for an exchange.

Another aspect is the fact that many polyglots realized that self-study for them turned out to be more efficient than any form of form instruction they've receveived. This can be triggered by the poor quality of foreign language instruction Anglos receive in their local schools.

I see where your coming form OP, English i very dominant at this point in time.

But I'm still going to learn Spanish, I'm moving to Guadalajara, Mexico in 3 weeks, nervous but ready. Im currently intermediate.

Yo quiero hablar con chicas bonitas, tengo que practicar.

The rule is i can't come back until I'm fluent, ill be teaching english and hopefully drowning in latina pussy.

Wish me luck bros.

the question is why native english speakers come to the language learning board to speak exclusively in english.

Because I gave up learning another language when the people from that country were rude to me.

I use the rudeness as motivation.
3 weeks ago a kraut said to me I'd give up in 2 weeks at the most, so fuck him. There'll no doubt be times in which I'm tempted to give up, but I'm digging myself a hole so deep that I'm not going to be able to leave if I try.

To meet women and live in a different culture.

For my high school there was no foreign language requirement to graduate but lots of universities want you to have taken a couple years so most people did.
I grew up in the southwest so obviously Spanish was the most popular. French/Latin were probably tied for second and then German was fourth. They were trying to get mandarin going but idk if that ever materialized.

Well I'm Wh*te, but speak fluent Spanish cause I was raised in Ciudad de Los Angeles.
I also speak it like I have a stroke and have brown hair/eyes, so most people assume I'm Cuban.

>speak it like I have a stroke
so the standard english-speaking spanish student?

English """"""""""culture"""""""""" is shit, that's why.

Je sais un peu de Français.

I hope I didn't butcher that.

I got a few leads today with my mediocre Spanish before I learned that no one else at the office speaks Spanish, so nothing could possibly come of it

I'm tired of America.