So my job is making me live in 'Long Island City'

So my job is making me live in 'Long Island City'

That's New York right? is it nice there?

Any tips that Americans know about living in your country?

I love NY but grew up there. Idk how an alien would feel about it.

New York City is shit. Be prepared to work every day and pay a zillion dollars for everything

Is Queens safe

i hope you are getting paid a lot of money

40k dollars

>Lon Guyland
>nice

Enjoy being the broke.

>Queens
Gentrifying quickly.
Unless you want to get assaulted by a bunch of affluent white hipsters for not eating non-GMO, locally grown, vegan food, then I'd suggest avoiding it.

I kinda like Queens, but don't wander around at night

Pretty much this Stay out of the Black and Mestizo neighborhoods and you should do alright.

That's not enough money to live in NYC nigga. Seriously. I mean people do it, I guess, but I don't know how. You might qualify for government housing, I don't know those rules, but even if you did qualify, do you want to live surrounded by a bunch of other people who qualify for government housing? I wouldn't.

I'm jealous, always been a dream of mine to live in the Big Apple

>You might qualify for government housing

Even if he did qualify the waiting periods are literally 12+ years long

Long Island City is a fucking shithole bro, goodluck

t.long islander

Do you mean Section 8 or the projects?

If it's the projects yes I definitely wouldn't want to live there, if it's Section 8 you can live wherever you want

He said his job is making him live so it's possible his rent is being paid.

If not expect to split a 3BR with like 6 other ppl

Why? I like bigger cities but not fucking enormous ones. I think NYC would be overwhelming.

If your job isn't providing your housing, then enjoy your crushing poverty.

Yeah you could probably have a pretty good fucking time in NYC on 40k/year if housing costs were paid for you.

fuck

If you get a shared apartment your rent will be around 1000-1200 so you can still live, it just won't be particularly comfortable.

I'm sorry

I'm living in a place called Sunnyside

Are they forcing you to live there? If so, your rent should be covered to some degree by your employer. If not, just fuckin find somewhere farther mate.

Hey OP if you're making $40k a year your monthly take home will be around $2400 after taxes.

This is an apt I found looking for 30 seconds, you just have to look around for a cheap place. It's possible, but it will be a little rough. You could even afford to live here if you wanted to with some frugal budgeting.

I've lived in NYC for 5 years after college on $30k a year, it can be done.

I have a contract

i'm not sure, every time i've visited it just feels like where i want to live all the time

A contract that forces you to live there? Give me something to work with pal

LIC is a pretty fancy part of NY.

I grew up in the harsh village of Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire

I can handle 'new york'

>Hey OP if you're making $40k a year your monthly take home will be around $2400 after taxes.
Yeah if you have no health insurance and don't pay for a retirement plan.

what

New York is awesome in an inexplicable way.

>This is an apt I found looking for 30 seconds, you just have to look around for a cheap place. It's possible, but it will be a little rough. You could even afford to live here if you wanted to with some frugal budgeting.
Yeah a $1,500 one bedroom in LIC on CL doesn't sound like a scam at all lol. You can't even get a $1,500 one bedroom in Coney Island or Bushwick nowadays, grampa.

What are the terms of your contract

I wonder if the nhs applies in the US

I can assure you it does not.

Are you a lawyer

If someone else injures me do I have to pay?

Yes but then you sue them and make them pay you back the cost of the medical care.

You should pay so you don't die right away. You might be able to get it all back through a lawsuit about 7 years later though.

Internet lawyer

Can I represent myself to sue them or will I need to pay someone

I want to become as American as possible I will sue the heck out of them

>Can I represent myself to sue them
If you want to lose, yes.

You can always represent yourself but you will lose.

I think I can do it

You are fucked m8. Just stay in your village, or get health/disability insurance.

Honestly just stay in the UK, it's probably better.

Why the fuck are you moving to the US for $40k a year?

RIGHT

which things do I need and which things are scams for tourists like tipping and car insurance

Just remember that you can get away with killing spooks here. Just make sure you didn't use 'evil' New York weapons and that you were in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm

It's only for a year, travel broadens the mind and all that shit

Car insurance is mandatory. Tipping is bullshit, but if you repeatedly go the same place and don't tip, the mongoloids will fuck with your food.

spooks...CIA?

>Car insurance is mandatory

do they have buses in Long island

Honestly just go somewhere else.

I live in NYC, you're going to fucking hate it here and be broke all the time.

Save up some money and go on a proper vacation, even if it's a year from now.

Why the fuck are they only paying you $40k? Maintenance people and office lackeys at my job make more than that and they didn't even go to college.

Think you're trying to trick me you can't have NY all to yourself

LIC is right across from midtown Manhattan. It's closer to the happening places in Manhattan than most of Manhattan.

Yes but you will be surrounded by smelly poor people.

Spooks = the blacks

Pls don't kill CIA

But he's poor as well user

Can I walk then

There aren't many homeless people there is there

Just take the subway.

Take the bus/subway. Everyone in NYC does it, even people with money

Go down the 4 train to wall st and you'll see dudes wearing gucci suits

>There aren't many homeless people there is there

I hate the subway I always fall over when it starts moving in London

Do they not have rails/poles for you to hold onto in the UK?

Ofc they do, he's just a bit of a mong.

Place your feet like your skateboarding.

Not everywhere

Dont listen to the tards. You'll have to have roommates and you wont be able to save much but 40k is absolutely livable

>touching subway poles that homeless people cummed on
gross desu

iktf my man

Hit my head on the pole today on the tube

Does everyone in the US earn like 100k or something

40k dollars is like £30k that's a decent wage

Is this common

>Falling onto the floor where they shart on

even worse senpai

NYC is expensive man. The cheapest STUDIO apartment you will find is at least $1000

wtf burgers here were saying that they rent for $300

>rent for $300
>In NYC

In flyovers or really shitty city areas

America's really big though. more space for houses

>The cheapest STUDIO apartment you will find is at least $1000
You will not find a studio for $1000, you don't live in NYC and please don't try to give people advice about it.

>The City of New York, often called New York City or simply New York, is the most populous city in the United States.[9] With an estimated 2016 population of 8,537,673[7] distributed over a land area of about 302.6 square miles (784 km2),[10][11] New York City is also the most densely populated major city in the United States.[12]

What about long island though

my point of references
-lived in ecuador (third world country)
-lived in flushing(an asia town)
-lived in south ozone (pretty nice, safest bet)
-live rn in south jamaica (crime is up in these parts)
I haven't had any trouble growing up in any of these places but idk you sound pretty coddled and worried, it may be more comforting to know it's not all that bad my only real advice is if you walk past those garbage piles hold your breath for as long as you can, the wind pushes the stink around

>With a Census-estimated population of 7,838,722 in 2015, constituting nearly 40% of the state's population,[7][8][9][10][11] Long Island is the most populated island in any U.S. state or territory, and the 18th-most populous island in the world (ahead of Ireland, Jamaica, and Hokkaidō). Its population density is 5,595.1 inhabitants per square mile (2,160.3/km2). If Long Island geographically constituted an independent metropolitan statistical area, it would rank fourth most populous in the United States; while if it were a U.S. state, Long Island would rank 13th in population and first in population density.

stop it

At least I will able to buy a machine gun

>At least

Also I do, here is an image from my college's website up in the Bronx

If you live in Long Island, you have to pay like $300 a month for commuter rail on top of your metro pass.

Again, only sub $1,000 studios are either rent stabilized units where tenants have been in there for decades or NYCHA projects. Good luck, outsider. But honestly just go back, we are full.

it's pretty suburban and campusy, though geopolitically separate from the actual city which is important to remember when turning on red and simple zoning stuff i'm neglecting to remember right now

You know full well New York won't let you do that. Stop playing dumb, redcoat

I never said sub $1000 though

>all this help for our britbro
Americans are lovely people

WILL NO BE INFRINGED

If I have the option for a position in Long island, Delaware or Oregon which should I take

Welcome to New York.

What this user said.

NYC cost of living is so ridiculously expensive that you will work all day and still be poor. Only millionaires and celebs live comfortably there.

Yikes.

You're going to be poor as shit in that city. I hope for your sake your job is providing housing otherwise you might as well just be homeless.