Halo Reach: The Film

Who else enjoyed it? Very original plot, never thought of before. And ending the prequel, right before the very first installment begins? Incredibly creative.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ezTgeoQ55bw&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=g3-gTrCRLQk
youtube.com/watch?v=TrcAGc6-gm8
youtube.com/watch?v=TM2YqbsEzp0
youtube.com/watch?v=PRhg1_BWHwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I enjoyed how qt Ira Belle was

this

Isnt halo just a ripoff of ringworld? can it really be referred to as something original?

>Improvements over TFA
-told its own story and wasnt just a "muh nostalgia" rehash of an older movie like TFA. The story and actions also made sense for the most part and didn't have blatant plot holes like TFA.
-the main character is not a Rey Mary Sue who can do no wrong, knows everything, and fight anything single handed. Fucks up (including one really embarrassing way) and needs help/saving
-story had some depth and maturity to it. I know I know, "it's a kids movie" etc but appealing to the adult fans for once was refreshing
-the military sci-fi/"war movie in space" feel was great. Interesting seeing a wide variety of weapons used in pitched battles as opposed to just boring invincible x-wings vs Inept TIE hordes
-felt like the actual Star Wars galaxy as established in the other movies as opposed to the small, empty, meaningless and soulless space of coincidences that it was in TFA
-the empire felt at least a bit intimidating finally and the death troopers were cool and didn't come off as pathetic
-actually talked about the political context and wasnt the unexplained mess that TFAs setting was
-a force user who wasn't a Jedi or Sith is always appreciated

>Same problems as TFA
-"I don't need no man to fight for me" expert martial artist petite British girl for the main character
-none of the main cast is developed very well and are mostly just there to serve a role. Forest And Mads are both under-utilized
-several cringe nostalgia "hey remember that" moments and cameos. Not nearly as bad as TFA but still
-stupid marvel quips forced into the story. This plagues just about every blockbuster these days.
-not enough alien characters. It's like the prequels made people afraid of having aliens

>Worse than TFA
-musical score
-pacing and scene transitions.
-the main villain was meh even though the empire itself was a much better antagonist than the first order

>But I haven't finished by calculations!
>I'll make them for you.

Post your vagina when this happened.

Definitely better than TFA in most aspects

(Chek'd)
In a way it sort of expanded on the ideas of Ringworld, it didn't completely copy a main plotline from something Like Rogue One did to Halo Reach.
Pretty much this. Though I admittedly liked The First Order in the same way you'd enjoy a Tribute Band.

No it was BattleFront

this.

>tfw Halo: Reach was the last great Halo game

Them OST and skyboxes man....

youtube.com/watch?v=ezTgeoQ55bw&t=1s

Still don't get the hate for 4. 5 seems a bit underrated to me, definitely has the best ever Multiplayer, campaign was clearly lacking though. But I agree with you that no Campaign Beats the Original three's.

I liked it
Probably my second favorite Star Wars movie after ESB

>I admittedly liked The First Order in the same way you'd enjoy a Tribute Band

interesting viewpoint
now shut and post some rabbitfu

>original plot
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

source

The Halo ring is based off a 1970's NASA painting.

Neill Blomkamp who was going to direct a Halo movie used this painting for his Elysium movie

>Not understanding my entire post
She would have been an Incredible Black Cat. Terrible shame.

It looks like that Painting was also used for The Future in Interstellar too.

4 and 5 aren't necessarily bad games.

In fact, 5 especially is a great game.

They just don't feel completely like Halo games even though both expand the lore and universe greatly.

I dunno, without Bungie it really doesn't feel completely like Halo.

Also, I disagree, I thought and still believe that Reach had the most balanced modern arena-style FPS multiplayer ever. MLG-fags just ruined it by complaining about bloom and Armor Lock, when they were fine implementations.

I am biased however, as I disliked the BR, even though Halo 2 is the most time I have ever spent on a game save League of Legends.

The hatred for 4 comes from the complete butchering of the lore and stupid game design decisions. Karen Traviss is largely responsible for:

1. Making Halsey a villain. She did bad things for the right reasons, and coincidentally saved the human race from extinction. Traviss changed that to, "Halsey was an evil cunt that tortured children."

2. Turning Cortana against Halsey. Cortana is literally Halsey. What she hates herself? She can't see that what she did was justified and valuab- it's just a clusterfuck. Then add in Traviss' super hero spartan 3s/4s and you wonder what the hell you're even playing.

Game:

3. Light demons are not as fun to fight as Elites. Light demons are not as interesting as Elites.

4. Quick time events. And a boss that nobody gave a shit about.

5. Shit tunes. Marty or bust.

Did Halo Reach invent prequel stories that lead up the the original or something?

>In fact, 5 especially is a great game.
Halo 5 is a 7/10 enjoyable flick of a game.

No idea why it gets so much hate.

>You don't play as Master Cheif much
Fair enough but I still enjoyed the hell out of it and the ending was great

Interstellar used a different design for the space station though, instead of a ring it was a rotating Tipler cylinder.

>Humans made peace with the Covenant at end of Halo 3
>Now the Covenant is at war again with the humans
I forgot, why is this?

It literally invented the "prequel ends right as the original game/movie begins".

And hell, Halo 1 and A New Hope both begin with a pan down to a ship before it gets invaded by enemies.

CHECK EM

Oh wow a government agency which fakes things like moon landings and climate "science" made a painting after Ringworld (1970) was published, that explains everything. Play more video games, moron.

They're not the covenant. They're "DIFFERENT ELITES GRUNTS JACKALS AND HUNTERS" that don't know about the truce or some shit. I don't know man, I only played it once when it came out. I was so fucking excited and I was so fucking disappointed.

Women. Never put them in charge of anything. They always turn it to shit. Why are they so terrible at managing things? I don't think that they were made for that.
Reach had a Rag-Tag Team of Marines sent to retrieve extremely Valuable Data from a World under threat of imminent destruction, wherein each and every main character is destined to die which the audience knows, each dies after coming across waves of increasing strength,
>Various kinds of Troopers all the way up to Vader
& each die in their own last stand. Sound familiar?

They're a rebellious faction that stuck to the Prophet's message even after The Sangheili declared it was bullshit. I believe The ones from 4 & 5 were only a small military of something like 8000 Men.

Jesus Christ the parallels are right there. This won't get discussed in detail though. Star Wars is "cool nerdy stuff". Halo is "virgin neckbeard nerdy stuff".

Halo is brodude chestbump fratfriend stuff. You probably don't even know that the Ringworld is unstable, do you normie?

>Halo is "virgin neckbeard nerdy stuff".
I remember when Halo was popular and not nerdy.

No, but the theme of a squad sacrificing themselves one by one to get something important to the "good guys" (a memory fragment of Cortana that contained the Halo coordinates in Reach, and the Death Star plans in Rogue One) in order to win the war is a blatant copy.

That being said, Rogue One was at least better and STILL more original than TFA.

>Traviss retconning everything that Nylund made great in the novelizations

Female (((writers))): not even once

I still posit that Martin O'Donnell is one of the greatest video game composers of all time. The OSTs of all the Bungie games are GOAT, especially ODST and Reach.

Look, Halo 3 suffered from no Elites to fight. So I at least respect that 343 brought them back. But that's the dumbest fucking plot excuse. Also why even bring them back if you're gonna make me fight neon lights all god damn day.

Thanks for clearing that up by the way. I really didn't remember. Which is your favorite Nylund Halo book?

THE PILLAR OF QUINTS

Shame, this was starting to become a comfy Halo lore thread.

CHECKED

Check'd.
Yeah, I'm already beginning to see alot of people go "hey wait a second.." only now realising the similarities. I guess the Comparison just needs to be spread as much as possible.
Yeah fuck Hollywood for being dull as fuck and not letting Blomkamp try and set his Vision with a Halo film & just stick to "plain, good ol easy Star Wars!" His mini-film looked fantastic. A Full Length Halo would have been great in His Hands.

When the hell are we going to get a Halo movie made?

All I want is a movie based on the first game which has a 10/10 campaign and would make a 10/10 epic motion picture.

MAKE IT

By the rings

I know about Ringworld. I also know about Dyson spheres and giant floating tree planets and solar eclipses that never end.
If you think Halo is brodude chestbump fratfriend stuff than you've never read the books or played the games.
Keep looking down your nose buddy. You think just because it's an FPS it must be for the plebs?

>throws a grenade about to go off
>blows up an incoming flying Covenant vehicle
I fucking loved that fan made short film

Don't bother m8

It'd be awful as a rule

You'd be let down, as would we all

I hate Karen Traviss with a passion.
Also, dude, after the Halo theme, I didn't think Marty could get anymore iconic. But holy fucking shit is the drum theme for Reach unbelievable!

No problem, user. Still probly Glasslands for Me. Love that shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=g3-gTrCRLQk

Halo Reach ending was 100x better

I can't find the youtube video which had the old marine guy talking about the time in the war at some Museum as he was showing some Covenant weapons etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=TrcAGc6-gm8
I could just find this which was basically a test demo for an official Halo movie that never got made.

I thought that was official? Didn't Blomkamp do that as a test? Am I wrong here...

>Glasslands
>Eric Nylund

Mm mm.

youtube.com/watch?v=TM2YqbsEzp0

Not the user you're responding to but Nylund's books are KINO pop sci-fi.

Fuck, it's actually hard to choose between The Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx.

>Reminder that William-043 killed a Hunter WITH HIS BARE HANDS to the point where even the Elites paused in disbelief

Will best Spartan not named Fred or John.

By Karen Traviss... !?

>Objective: SURVIVE
Made 15 Year Old Me a nervous wreck. Bout as close to virtual PTSD as I'll ever get.

Fwoah the art is so cool... :)

I played the games while in my fraternity. Checkmate.

>MUH NOSTALGIA
This short film was amazing
youtube.com/watch?v=PRhg1_BWHwM

>that opening drum procession
>that midway battle trance movement
>mfw

Everything about Reach's soundtrack is GOD-TIER

>ripping off Halo Reach

Weren't the basic threads of the story of Rogue One kind of established a long time ago? Not specific characters necessarily but the idea that the rebellion was on the verge of collapse and people sacrificed themselves to get the plans for the Death Star.

Shitting on a movie because it has a similar plot to another story is really iffy unless it literally is a direct step-by-step copying. Most plots can be boiled down to a few archetypes and therefore is the least interesting part of most movies. Acting, cinematography, music/sound, writing, editing, sets/costumes, etc are what make a movie.

I thought he wrote it.. been a while since I read the books desu. Did he Write Fall Of Reach? What about First Strike? First Strike was one my Uncle got for me when I was only like 8 and I adored it.

>Didn't Blomkamp do that as a test?
Yeah I believe he was behind it. He was meant to direct the Halo movie from what I gather but then it got cancelled because it was too expensive.

>Objective: Survive.

I think it's the first movie that genuinely understands Star Wars. Star Wars is Nazis in space, this movie understood that, the prequels and TFA did not.

>We visit a "nazi occupied" sand village, just like in Indiana Jones
>guerilla warfare against an occupying force
>the death star is literally the nuclear bomb
>spies trying to prevent nazis from developing the bomb
>the cut throat culture of the third reich

Hell they even make it obvious in the final battle with the rebel ground troops wearing WW2 helmets

I fucking love the film

Tell 'em to make it count

Fucking roasted me friendo. Got any Aloe Vera, that burn was too hot.

>>Worse than TFA
>>pacing and scene transitions.

How is that possible. That alone would make this movie unwatchable.

The forerunners have the tech to have Halo correct its orbit as time passes.

>Baccano! gif.
Marry me senpai.

This is a fucking comfy thread

Those were more vietnam-y to me, same diff really.
:'(

Eric did
1. The Fall Of Reach
2. First Strike
3. Ghosts Of Onyx

>musical score

The first time I saw it I would agree with you, but on the second viewing you really appreciate the slight deviations from standard Star Wars music

FUCKIN BASED

Well fuck.. she did something right then.
>Your Dad was 360 No-Scoped

It was inspired by ringworld, Aliens, and starship troopers.

ANH's crawl establishes that the Rebels have won their first victory against the Empire and Rebel spies made it out with the plans.

Leia isn't a spy so obviously she wasn't there to steal them. Vader says the plans were beamed to their ship, obviously by the spies. If the spies were able to make it out they wouldn't have had to send the plans to Leia, so you could infer that they probably died.

Maybe someone from /k/ wants to chime in but they seemed WW2 for me

The prequel to the Thing predates both of these. There are several other examples that I'm not going to bother sharing.
Ending right before the original is not an original idea

-OFFICIAL NOBLE TEAM TIER LIST-

>BEST AI AND BRO-TIER
Jorge

>GOOD AI AND EDGEMASTER TIER
Emile

>Immortal Sniper Tier
Jun

>Normal Marine That Can't Die Tier
Carter

>Actively Tries to Get You Killed Tier
Kat

Hmmm maybe you should re-read it dude. All her characters are super cool awesome smart funny wise and most importantly cool. And all the other characters are bad baddy bad bads. Her writing is very one dimensional.

(Checked)
I'm honestly surprised at how well it turned out. I expected it to get maybe two posts & then die or be ignored completely.

Reminds me of old late-night Halo threads on Sup Forums when the CoD kiddies went to sleep. Also, the original Halo General on /vg/, before it became cybering and shitposting.

Where has time gone...

You're provly right m8. I was like 16 when I read Glasslands, I'd probly feel a bit different about it reading it now.

Alright comrades, I'm going to sleep now. Merry Christmas Eve, and happy holidays to the rest of you godless hippy scum!

It would have to cover both Johnson's perspective (adapting Halo: The Flood) as well as Chiefs, while also summarizing the covenant. Could work, but it won't happen. Not after Ass Creed.

>deeply religious and devout empire that lasted for thousands of years

>expecting everyone to just peacefully give up because "there's a truce now"

That's not how it works, it makes sense there are still hostile covenant groups.

I thought Mulan was Disney's greatest film. Last time I watched it I was 13. Well I just watched it a week ago. It's a pile of shit dude. It really is amazing what time does to us. Be A Man is fucking incredible too, it's a shame the rest of the movie is on the complete opposite end of that scale.

Likewise user. I'm hopping off to Bed now too. For such an unexpectedly comfy thread I hope it lives on a bit & isn't dead when I Wake Up. I'll just have to wait & see.

>fraternity

More like maternity

Yeah but in the infinite vastness of space drifting in the middle of fucking nowhere you're found by the only 8000 fucking marauders?

Some of the rebels had stuff strapped onto the side of their helmets in a straight up Vietnam War reference

>mfw this would have been the ultimate vidya kino but it got cancelled because was too expensive

Kick his ass, man.

>he thinks Halo Reach was original

>Halo General
>cybering
¿que?

/k/ommando here, the shape reminds me of Vietnam but their gear and setting is really what makes it. Considering a lot of weapons were AR15(the M16 as adopted by the military) based props, and they were set in a tropical jungle, Vietnam fits better

THE MOVIE IS NOT GOOD

They went there to search for forerunner artifacts. Yes, it does make sense. The whole point of the covenant was worshipping forerunners as gods, why would they not go to Requiem if they found it's co-ordinates?

I fucking hate most 343-era lore but the covenant remnants are one of the few good parts.

It's amazing cuck

>he thinks Halo series had original ideas in it

It wasn't canceled.

The whole short film was split into sections and severed as both marketing and to generate interest for a potential movie. There wasn't an actual movie planned or in production.